• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

B-Genius said:
I live in the UK and am available anytime tonight from 6pm GMT. Is there a set way you guys do these things around here, or should I just give my FC and jump in the wifi area?
I'll help you out. My fc is 5156-4291-4002. Once you post yours I'll go online in my game. Is there any item you need, I got lots of spare stuff.

OMG Aero, I only got 1 Heat Rock, I guess I was unlucky (used 300 watts and gots of other kinds of rocks -_-).

Magni

Just hatched a Modest 28/31/31/25-26/22/26 Gastly :D Just wish I could switch around Atk/Def with SpA/Spe.. That 31 Atk IV has no purpose whatsoever, a bit of a waste..

Sagitario

OMG Aero said:
My swarm today is a Chansey one so if someone wants to trade a Lucky Egg for something just say so and I'll try and get you one.

Care to explain the swarm mechanic? I'm currently playing SS and the last PKMN game I played was Ruby [I only got the first badge in Platinum] ... I'm guessing that's something new of Gen IV...

After beating the Elite 4, you'll open up for swarms. Everyday a new pokemon will swarm a certain route or city/cave. Some of the pokemon only available as swarms in HGSS, other pokemon being incredible beneficial as swarm pokemon (chansey for lucky eggs, ditto for breeding, luvdisc for heart scales, etc.) when they are rather uncommon otherwise.
Each day listen to the Prof Oak radio show for details on which pokemon is swarming and where to catch it.

Jokey665

MagniHarvald said:
Just hatched a Modest 28/31/31/25-26/22/26 Gastly :D Just wish I could switch around Atk/Def with SpA/Spe.. That 31 Atk IV has no purpose whatsoever, a bit of a waste..
You could always go with a Focus Punch Gengar.

I've been busy IV breeding and I just hit a point where I need to get my hands on extra electirizers and magmarizers, but I need a pokemon with thief to make the whole process go by quicker.

Anybody got any extra pokes with thief? I've got tons of IV bred pokes and I can give a nice one for a poke with the thief move. I've also got spare thunderbolts, substitutes and ice beams lying around.

I seem to recall that someone had a buterfree with thief/compound eyes which sounds pretty useful.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Firestorm said:
If I made a VGC-style tournament, would anyone be interested? WiFi or Sim?
I'm up for a doubles tournament. Not so sure about VGC-style though. Even though I could use a reason to actually train all of these legendaries I RNG'd for, Ubers is kind of boring.

bluemax

Banned
Azure Phoenix said:
Roughly what percentage of hp does your Ampharos lose per hit from Kingdra? Depending on how much punishment it can take you might want to attempt using a few X Sp Defence items to bulk your Ampharos up during the fight. Once you've done that use Thunder Wave on it and keep using healing items to stall Kingdra.

Her Kingdra's main weakness is it's pathetic amount of PP, only 5 each for Hydro Pump and Hyper Beam and 10 for Dragon Pulse. Hydro Pump is her main choice, followed by Dragon Pulse while Hyper Beam is usually a last resort (lack of stab means it doesn't hit that hard). What you need to do is just act as a wall until Dragon Pulse and Hydro Pump are gone and then keep eating away at it's health.

Be warned that she'll spam healing items on Kingdra and once Hyper Beam is gone as well she'll only have Smokescreen left. If you still have Swift on your Staryu then just switch to that once Kingdra has lost all it's PP for attacking moves and chip away at it.

Basically as long as you carry enough healing items to stall for 20 turns of attacks Kingdra is gone.

Maybe 1/3 or so? But he also always seems to take 40 damage from Gyarados. I think at best I've gotten two hits with Ampharos before he died to Kingdra.

I don't have Thunder Wave anymore :( Thunder Punch, Thunder Shock, Discharge and Charge is my current move set. Can I purchase it again?

Guess it looks like the main idea is to beef up Ampharos to take more hits.

OMG Aero

Metroid Killer said:
OMG Aero, I only got 1 Heat Rock, I guess I was unlucky (used 300 watts and gots of other kinds of rocks -_-).
That's fine. Just send me a PM when you can trade and we can do the swap.
Sagitario said:
Thanks Metroid K...

My hunt for Lucky Eggs will continue after the E4 I guess...
If you send me a PM too I'll give you one.

Also, if anyone happens to have a spare Earthquake TM that they wouldn't mind trading let me know. Turns out it would be really good to have one for the Tangrowth on my Sunny Day team but I already used it up. I really wish they would just let you buy any TM after beating the game instead of restricting the good ones to stupid amounts of BP.

bluemax said:
Maybe 1/3 or so? But he also always seems to take 40 damage from Gyarados. I think at best I've gotten two hits with Ampharos before he died to Kingdra.

I don't have Thunder Wave anymore :( Thunder Punch, Thunder Shock, Discharge and Charge is my current move set. Can I purchase it again?

Guess it looks like the main idea is to beef up Ampharos to take more hits.

If required, sacrifice one of your other Pokemon that won't be used when facing one of the Dragonairs and use the turn to fully heal your Ampharos first.

As soon as Clair is down to Kingdra only, switch in Ampharos and use X Sp Defence on the first turn. Now wait and see how much Kingdra takes off with it's first hit, if you feel Ampharos can survive another hit (barring a lucky Critical Hit) use another X Sp Defence. Then use a Hyper Potion (make sure you have 10-20, you'll need them for the Elite Four anyway)

If Ampharos isn't taking major damage at this point just spam Discharge for the 30% chance of paralysis and heal when needed. If it is, keep spamming potions until Kingdra misses a Hydro Pump (quite likely with only 70% chance to hit) and use those turns to use more X Sp Defences.

Also keep a mental note of how much PP Kingdra has burned through (5 for Hydro Pump, 5 for Hyper Beam, 10 for Dragon Pulse). As for Thunder Wave if you have a Heart Scale you can learn it again from the move relearner in Blackthorn, otherwise it's a TM you won't get for a long time.

Finally, ditch Thunder Punch and Thunder Shock from Ampharos asap, they suck and you only need one electric move. Thunder Punch in particular is a physical move and Ampharos has way higher Sp Attack than Attack.

Sagitario

OMG Aero said:
That's fine. Just send me a PM when you can trade and we can do the swap.

If you send me a PM too I'll give you one.

Also, if anyone happens to have a spare Earthquake TM that they wouldn't mind trading let me know. Turns out it would be really good to have one for the Tangrowth on my Sunny Day team but I already used it up. I really wish they would just let you buy any TM after beating the game instead of restricting the good ones to stupid amounts of BP.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hatchet Man said:
GG Andrex that was incredibly close.

Yeah, definitely. Problem with my team is it can take just one Pokemon knowing one attack to sink it. And also, Trix wasn't competitively trained at all. :lol But I guess that was apparent when it's super-effective move only did 10% damage. :p

You want your prize now? It'll have a bonus random item for being my first challenger. :)

Andrex said:
Yeah, definitely. Problem with my team is it can take just one Pokemon knowing one attack to sink it. And also, Trix wasn't competitively trained at all. :lol But I guess that was apparent when it's super-effective move only did 10% damage. :p

You want your prize now? It'll have a bonus random item for being my first challenger. :)

Sure.

Firestorm

Sixfortyfive said:
I'm up for a doubles tournament. Not so sure about VGC-style though. Even though I could use a reason to actually train all of these legendaries I RNG'd for, Ubers is kind of boring.
Well, VGC only allows two ubers per team. I'm finding it a lot of fun to be honest! VGC allows for so many fun combinations from the weirdest Pokemon :lol

Face of a monster:
225.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hatchet Man said:
Choice band bullet punch packs a punch, and thanks for the prize.

No problem. I forgot about that Choice Band on my last Pokemon, that's why I was locked into using that resisted move.

Masked Man

I said wow
I only just touched the Battle Frontier, so I was wondering if someone with BP to spare wouldn't mind helping me out by visiting the Move Tutor and teaching Trick and Signal Beam to my Espeon. I have a bunch of Timid Eevees with pretty reasonable IVs, and I would gladly offer one of your choosing to anyone who could help me out! :D
(Also, the parenthetical markings are just notes for me to keep track.)

Eevee (Square) - Mischievous, Adaptability
IVs: 5, 15/16, 9, 31, 31, 30
HP: Ice / Psychic - 65 / 66

Eevee (Heart) - Mischievous, Run Away
IVs: 31, 11, 27, 31, 31, 11
HP: Dark - 70

Eevee (Star) - Mischievous, Run Away
IVs: 31, 17, 30, 31, 31, 15
HP: Dragon - 68

Eevee (SC) - Mischievous, Adaptability
IVs: 23, 30, 26, 31, 31, 19
HP: Ice - 70

Eevee (ST) - Mischievous, Adaptability
IVs: 25, 30, 31, 31, 28, 17
HP: Ghost - 43

Eevee (CQ) - Mischievous, Adaptability
IVs: 30, 20, 9, 31, 24, 30
HP: Rock - 45

Eevee (Triangle) - Mischievous, Adaptability
IVs: 9, 8, 19, 31, 30, 30
HP: Bug - 68

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You know what annoys me? Skarmory is weak to electric. I mean, it's part steel. That should cancel it out. :/

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
You know what annoys me? Skarmory is weak to electric. I mean, it's part steel. That should cancel it out. :/
Most metals conducts electricity pretty well. If anything it would make things worse. :/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:
Most metals conducts electricity pretty well. If anything it would make things worse. :/

That's what I expected when I thunderbolted my first steel type. I was so confused it wasn't very effective. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hold the heck up.

You can challenge gym leaders to a rematch more than once a day?!?! MINDBLOWN

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Masked Man said:
I just figured that out today also. :lol

I tried it with Chuck before, but it was at 1 AM and then again at like 9 PM- I figured it at least ruled it out during the rest of the "night time." But no. Unlimited rematches. This is gonna make training sooooooooooooooooo much better (tired of the E4.)

How do you get their numbers? They're never that chatty when I talk to them >:-(

Also, GOD IT TAKES SUCH A LONG TIME TO BUILD UP BP.

WHY IS EARTHQUAKE ONLY AVAILABLE ON THE BATTLE FRONTIER? GAMEFREAK DO YOU HATE ME OR SOMETHING? THIS ISN'T EVEN ONE OF THOSE MOVES I CAN BREED ONTO THIS PARTICULAR 'MON GOD.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
viciouskillersquirrel said:
How do you get their numbers? They're never that chatty when I talk to them >:-(

WHY IS EARTHQUAKE ONLY AVAILABLE ON THE BATTLE FRONTIER? GAMEFREAK DO YOU HATE ME OR SOMETHING? THIS ISN'T EVEN ONE OF THOSE MOVES I CAN BREED ONTO THIS PARTICULAR 'MON GOD.

http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/gym-rematch.shtml

Still haven't gotten Blue or Claire's numbers yet (anyone know her specific day?), but I've had all the others for a while.

Also I just found Falkner on the third floor of the Celadon Dept. Store for pictures. :lol These guys pop up in the weirdest places.

bluemax

Banned
Azure Phoenix said:
If required, sacrifice one of your other Pokemon that won't be used when facing one of the Dragonairs and use the turn to fully heal your Ampharos first.

As soon as Clair is down to Kingdra only, switch in Ampharos and use X Sp Defence on the first turn. Now wait and see how much Kingdra takes off with it's first hit, if you feel Ampharos can survive another hit (barring a lucky Critical Hit) use another X Sp Defence. Then use a Hyper Potion (make sure you have 10-20, you'll need them for the Elite Four anyway)

If Ampharos isn't taking major damage at this point just spam Discharge for the 30% chance of paralysis and heal when needed. If it is, keep spamming potions until Kingdra misses a Hydro Pump (quite likely with only 70% chance to hit) and use those turns to use more X Sp Defences.

Also keep a mental note of how much PP Kingdra has burned through (5 for Hydro Pump, 5 for Hyper Beam, 10 for Dragon Pulse). As for Thunder Wave if you have a Heart Scale you can learn it again from the move relearner in Blackthorn, otherwise it's a TM you won't get for a long time.

Finally, ditch Thunder Punch and Thunder Shock from Ampharos asap, they suck and you only need one electric move. Thunder Punch in particular is a physical move and Ampharos has way higher Sp Attack than Attack.

That X SP Defense really did the trick! One of those plus 4 hyper potions was all it took to finally bring down her Kingdra! Huzzah all 8 badges at last!

Now to prep for the Elite Four, move set tips for my team, or additions to my team would be appreciated.

bluemax said:
Ampharos Lv 38
Dragonair Lv 38
Staryu Lv 37
Typhlosion Lv 36
MaChamp Lv 35
Alakazam Lv 34.
Suggested movesets:

Ampharos:

Discharge
Light Screen (Very useful against the first E4 trainer)
Thunder Wave
Power Gem / Signal Beam / Special move of your choice

Dragonair

Physical attacks
Thunder Wave or other status-inducing move
Dragon Dance (if you can get it)

Starmie

Surf (more reliable than Hydro Pump)
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Flamethrower

Typhlosion

Dunno... have a look on Smogon. Don't go for just Fire moves though. Aim for good type coverage

Machamp

Superpower
Stone Edge
Seismic Toss
Bulk Up (if you can get it)

Alakazam

Hypnosis (he's fast enough for it to work)
Calm Mind (If you can get it)
Psychic
Shadow Ball/Focus Blast/Recover (i.e. he's so fragile, you may never get an opportunity to use Recover unless you've gotten some Calm Minds in first and even then, it won't help you against a physical opponent)

Firestorm

viciouskillersquirrel said:

doesn't take long actually. Beating Falkner = 20 BP. Icy Wind was 48 so I had to do that a few times =/

SlickVic

Blu_LED said:
I demand a new E4/Gym Leader clause. They are only allowed to use one Full Restore for the whole battle. Only one!

Except for
Lance
, I don't think anyone overuses Full Restores (unless you're talking about rematches, which I've yet to do). I always go through the E4 spamming Full Restores and Revives though, so I guess I can't really complain.

Firestorm said:
doesn't take long actually. Beating Falkner = 20 BP. Icy Wind was 48 so I had to do that a few times =/
I know. It just takes too long between bouts. Also, I've been spamming the Battle Factory as opposed to the Battle Tower.

The thing is, I have like 6 pokemon planned that I want to teach Earthquake to. Earthquake is like 80BP. Not to mention the fact that I still have yet to teach my Feraligatr Dragon Dance. That's like another 80.

Firestorm

Palmer / Falkner all the same >.>; I dunno I wasn't really paying attention when I did it. I think I Choice Specs'd Latios and just spammed Dragon Pulse while doing other things. You could also try getting EQ from other people by trading.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SlickVic said:
Except for
Lance
, I don't think anyone overuses Full Restores (unless you're talking about rematches, which I've yet to do). I always go through the E4 spamming Full Restores and Revives though, so I guess I can't really complain.

Blue r1 used three Full Restores in a row when I battled him.

It wouldn't be so bad if Full Restores stopped status increases too, but when that bloody Swalot raises its defence to nigh-inpenetrable levels and then removes all damage and effects you've wasted most of your PP on trying to knock down, you can't help but want to throw the DS out of the window.

Android18a said:
It wouldn't be so bad if Full Restores stopped status increases too, but when that bloody Swalot raises its defence to nigh-inpenetrable levels and then removes all damage and effects you've wasted most of your PP on trying to knock down, you can't help but want to throw the DS out of the window.
YES.

I switch into a physical attacker when that happens.

Top Bottom