• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Thanks for the help Azure!! Now my pokedex is at 480!

And I caught Kyogre earlier today. I thought it would be a bitch getting healed in the rain, but I caught it in the first Heavy Ball!
That makes it 3 legendary battles left for me. Rayquaza, Lugia and Mewtwo.

Some stuff I need help with:

Anyone wanna lend me their Groudon for a few minutes so I can get the Jade Orb(I can lend you my Kyogre if you need it)

Anyone with Palkia and Dialga? Would be cool if we could just trade them back a forth so that I get their pokedex entry.

And then I need someone to evolve my Nosepass into Probopass.

Metroid Killer (HeartGold) 5156-4291-4002

Thanks!

Masked Man

I said wow
I've got Palkia from Pearl and Dialga from that weird Cynthia event. Just give me a sec to get things transferred over and such--should be available in 10 minutes tops. ;D

まっと / m@ - 3781 9823 8277 (HG)

EDIT: I can help you with the Nosepass -> Probopass evolution, too, now that I think about it.

Matt - 1031 9881 3754 (Pearl)

Thanks a lot for wasting your time on me :D Seriously if we ever had to nominate a thread that shows Neogaffers from their best side I wouldn't think twice on choosing this thread!

Anyway I noticed that my 'trade fodder' box started to contain much better critters than just regular 'trade fodder'. I don't need them at all so if anyone can use the following pokemon just send me a pm and we can trade them to you:

Garchomp lvl 67 [Earthquake, Outrage, Crunch and Dragon Claw] (Mild, not EV trained)
Starmie lvl 51 [Psychic, Thunderbolt, Surf and Recover] (Lonely, not EV trained)
Drapion lvl 67 [Aqua Tail, Crunch, Fire Fang and Poison Jab] (Bashful, not EV trained)
Medicham lvl 69 [Recover, Ice Punch, Zen Headbutt and Hi Jump Kick] (Naive, not EV trained)
Dragonair lvl 30
Magmar lvl 35
lvl 1 Staryus with the same moveset as the Starmie above (Ice Beam instead of Recover)

Masked Man

I said wow
Metroid Killer said:
Thanks a lot for wasting your time on me :D Seriously if we ever had to nominate a thread that shows Neogaffers from their best side I wouldn't think twice on choosing this thread!

Anyway I noticed that my 'trade fodder' box, started to be containing much better critters than just 'trade fodder', but I don't need them at all so if anyone can use the following pokemon just send me a pm and we can trade them to you:

Garchomp lvl 67 [Earthquake, Outrage, Crunch and Dragon Claw] (Mild, not EV trained)
Starmie lvl 51 [Psychic, Thunderbolt, Surf and Recover] (Lonely, not EV trained)
Drapion lvl 67 [Aqua Tail, Crunch, Fire Fang and Poison Jab] (Bashful, not EV trained)
Medicham lvl 69 [Recover, Ice Punch, Zen Headbutt and Hi Jump Kick] (Naive, not EV trained)
Dragonair lvl 30
Magmar lvl 35
lvl 1 Staryus with the same moveset as the Starmie above (Ice Beam instead of Recover)

No problem whatsoever! :D

Wow, that's really kind of you to offer! I don't want to be too greedy, but would you mind parting with the Garchomp and one of those Staryu?

Sure! I'll be heading online again then :D

The high lvls are rejected pokemon after I decided to get new EV trained versions of them, and now that I got the EV trained high lvl there's really no use for the rejects for me anymore.

Masked Man

I said wow
Metroid Killer said:
Sure! I'll be heading online again then :D

The high lvls are rejected pokemon after I decided to get new EV trained versions of them, and now that I got the EV trained high lvl there's really no use for the rejects for me anymore.

Thanks so much! :D
Yeah, I have reluctantly decided to give up my beloved Espeon in order to train a new one with happier IVs. Hope you don't mind a couple of the Eevees born of that process! lol

ILikeFeet

Banned
is there a better replacement for a Gloom? I'm up to Clair and right now I'm just training my Staryu to be a decent compeditor (I may not be able to evolve it for a while)

ILikeFeet said:
is there a better replacement for a Gloom? I'm up to Clair and right now I'm just training my Staryu to be a decent compeditor (I may not be able to evolve it for a while)
Why not evolve the Staryu now? If you don't have a waterstone you can get one at the Pokeathlon on Wednesday.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
Why not evolve the Staryu now? If you don't have a waterstone you can get one at the Pokeathlon on Wednesday.

it would prolly be the best option, though I kinda felt I should wait till it learns Hydro Pump, but that would seem pointless.

Echoes said:
I think I'm done with the game. 240 hours, 280 Pokemon.

Not sure why, but I just got bored from all of it, all of a sudden.
Man I wish my pokedex was bigger than my playtime as well. This thread being a big reason that I've enjoyed the game as much as I do, and you, being one of the bigger contributers, are therefore big part of the experience!

Thanks for the good time, and see you around neogaf :D

P.S. as a last favor, could you lend me your Goundon for 2mins, so I can get the jade orb? ;-)

Masked Man

I said wow
Just hatched this little beauty:
Eevee - Timid, Mischievous, Run Away
IVs: 31, 30, 28, 31, 16, 30
HP: Rock - 47

I want to raise it into an Espeon, but the 16 IV in SpDef has me a little disappointed... Am I being too picky?

Does anyone know how long it takes PKRS to go into the stage where it stops being infectious? I need to go through the Elite Four now but I don't want to infect the rest of my team just yet (long story), however I've had my infected Ninetales in my party for two days now and the status still won't change.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Masked Man said:

I want to raise it into an Espeon, but the 16 IV in SpDef has me a little disappointed... Am I being too picky?

Unless you're looking into becoming a very serious battler, those are pretty lovely IVs. I mean, the fact that it lacks a perfect speed IV is more glaring if you're using something like Jolteon/Espeon, because of the speed ties that you might lose.

Azure Phoenix said:
Does anyone know how long it takes PKRS to go into the stage where it stops being infectious? I need to go through the Elite Four now but I don't want to infect the rest of my team just yet (long story), however I've had my infected Ninetales in my party for two days now and the status still won't change.
That is weird. For me it's always gone from all the pokemon in my party when I turn on the DS the next day...

Could someone get me a Kabuto or the fossil for it? It's the last Pokemon I need for the Gold Pokedex and I can't get it because I haven't seen it yet. I can give you pretty much everything.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Echoes said:
I think I'm done with the game. 240 hours, 280 Pokemon.

Not sure why, but I just got bored from all of it, all of a sudden.

My time has now been dominated by a book, a TV show, and the best thread in GAF's history (I'm reading every freaking page, at 28 now).

Noooo Echoes. T_T
I'm getting slightly bored too but I still have the Safari Zone, Ruins of Alph, and some Pokemon to finish.

208 hours, 316 Pokemon. :D

Milchmonster said:
Could someone get me a Kabuto or the fossil for it? It's the last Pokemon I need for the Gold Pokedex and I can't get it because I haven't seen it yet. I can give you pretty much everything.

How about an Aerodactyl egg/fossil?

Dares

Can anybody "Hook a brotha up?" with an Ampharos and possibly an Ice Beam TM...? I know I'm new but I would love him for always.

ILikeFeet

Banned
I'm having trouble connecting to my wireless signal. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong though. it seems the standard DS settings don't work. but when I try to enter my wireless settings, it doesn't accept them. any tips

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
ILikeFeet said:
I'm having trouble connecting to my wireless signal. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong though. it seems the standard DS settings don't work. but when I try to enter my wireless settings, it doesn't accept them. any tips
Details. What kind of error are you getting and when does it happen?

Milchmonster said:
Sure. My FC is 5156-4291-4002
Axis said:
pokemon, fuck yeah!

does anyone have a treecko?
Fuck yeah I do! :D You don't happen to have a SS Groudon that I could use for a couple of mins?

Masked Man said:

Ask yourself whether it's going to bother you later on. I have a mostly-great Starmie that I've never been happy with because, despite great IVs everywhere else and a 31 for Speed (and it's Timid), it only has a 15 for Special Attack.

Espeon's Special Defence isn't exactly vital, though, so I'd definitely go with it.

2rdcack.jpg

At last, 101 hours in and I've cleared the Elite Four. Lance was by far the hardest fight I've ever had in a Pokemon game and I only barely pulled through by dumb luck with Blizzard. His freaking Dragonites were taking my Milotic down from full health to less than 20hp with each Dragon Rush even with an X Sp Def.

Ironically my Mareep was the MVP in the end, somehow it hung on with 1hp when Gyrados used Waterfall, paralysed it with Static and then got a OHKO with Discharge. I then switched it in when my Milotic fainted and it hung on with 1hp when Dragonite missed two Dragon Rushes giving me time to full heal Milotic.

And yeah I know, crappy pic. For some reason my camera can't pick out any detail on handheld screens.

matrix-cat said:
Probably because Dragon Rush is a Physical attack ;)
-_-

God damn it, I thought all Dragon moves were Special. Well still, it was taking off insane amounts especially since my Milotic has a lot of it's EVs in Defence and it was only a couple of levels lower than his Dragonites.

Azure Phoenix said:
-_-

God damn it, I thought all Dragon moves were Special. Well still, it was taking off insane amounts especially since my Milotic has a lot of it's EVs in Defence and it was only a couple of levels lower than his Dragonites.
Have you ever seen Dragonite's stats?

The thing is a veritable physical powerhouse. I've got one that has 345 attack power at lvl100 without EV training and crappy IVs.
:lol

Masked Man

I said wow
matrix-cat said:
Ask yourself whether it's going to bother you later on. I have a mostly-great Starmie that I've never been happy with because, despite great IVs everywhere else and a 31 for Speed (and it's Timid), it only has a 15 for Special Attack.

Espeon's Special Defence isn't exactly vital, though, so I'd definitely go with it.

Yeah, I guess it will sort of bother me, but I've had so much trouble getting a solid Speed IV that the odds of me getting a better spread than this are pretty slim. You make a good point--thanks for the advice! :D

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
My personal IV cutoffs:

Speed: 22+
Anything else important: 16+, and this is negotiable

Don't rip your hair out trying to get anything better unless you're willing to abuse the RNG.

OMG Aero

Don't suppose anyone has some Sunny Day TMs or Heat Rocks lying around that I could have?
I fancied having a go at making a theme team for once and decided to try a Sunny Day team but it turns out in HG/SS you can only get the TM and Heat Rock from the Pokewalker which is annoying.

Masked Man

I said wow
Sixfortyfive said:
My personal IV cutoffs:

Speed: 22+
Anything else important: 16+, and this is negotiable

Don't rip your hair out trying to get anything better unless you're willing to abuse the RNG.

Yeah, those sound like much more reasonable expectations. :lol And, given your immense success in terms of battling, I think I'll adopt those standards as well. Thanks!

El Sloth

Banned
Hey guys, I have a friend who is really getting into pokemon again (he dropped it after Gold/Silver) and wants to get into the competitive battling scene. I was hoping one of you could provide me with a link to a relatively non-intimidating primer on EV/IV's and natures.

Masked Man

I said wow
Battle story!

I was facing Sabrina in order to earn some EXP and IVs for my beloved Eevee, when things went awry: I didn't bother stocking up on supplies, and all of my other Pokémon had fainted, leaving the battle to her Wobbuffet (53) and my Eevee (25). Naturally, I thought I had no chance of winning whatsoever!

I started off Sand-Attacking until her Wobbuffet's Accuracy couldn't fall any lower, and then slowly began eating away at its health with repeated Tackling, pausing occasionally in order to avoid a Counter in case the Sand-Attacks were not precaution enough. Wobbuffet had already been weakened severely by my Gyarados, but sneaky Sabrina used a Full Restore just as I had Wobbuffet on the ropes! Nonetheless, I persevered with countless Tackles, chipping away at Wobbuffet's HP bit by bit. At last, the PP for its moves ran out and it was forced to use Struggle. I thought I would faint, but Eevee hung on by the skin of its teeth with 1 HP--a miracle! Moreover, the recoil damage lowered Wobbuffet's health drastically, allowing Eevee to strike once more and finish it off.

VICTORY! :D <3 my Eevee

bluemax

Banned
Can someone provide me tips on how to get past Clair for the 8th badge?

My team:

Ampharos Lv 38
Dragonair Lv 38
Staryu Lv 37
Typhlosion Lv 36
MaChamp Lv 35
Alakazam Lv 34

The only one with a move not learned naturally is the Staryu with Blizzard that I've been using to wipe out the Dragonair's. No one on my team can seem to stand up to the stupid Kingdra.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
Details. What kind of error are you getting and when does it happen?

nevermind. turns out I had to change my security settings to WEP since the game is on a standard DS cart (not WPA DSi cart)

Forkball

Can anyone let me borrow their Kyogre they caught in HeartGold? I need it to get the Jade Orb. I will trade you my Sapphire Kyogre for collateral.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Heh, it's gotten to the point I instinctively know off the top of my head which gym leaders I can call at any given time, and also exactly which trainers and their location are when they call me to battle. XD

I think I remember getting to about this point in the original Silver. I must have spent a lot more time playing Silver than I thought.

bluemax said:
Can someone provide me tips on how to get past Clair for the 8th badge?

My team:

Ampharos Lv 38
Dragonair Lv 38
Staryu Lv 37
Typhlosion Lv 36
MaChamp Lv 35
Alakazam Lv 34

The only one with a move not learned naturally is the Staryu with Blizzard that I've been using to wipe out the Dragonair's. No one on my team can seem to stand up to the stupid Kingdra.

Roughly what percentage of hp does your Ampharos lose per hit from Kingdra? Depending on how much punishment it can take you might want to attempt using a few X Sp Defence items to bulk your Ampharos up during the fight. Once you've done that use Thunder Wave on it and keep using healing items to stall Kingdra.

Her Kingdra's main weakness is it's pathetic amount of PP, only 5 each for Hydro Pump and Hyper Beam and 10 for Dragon Pulse. Hydro Pump is her main choice, followed by Dragon Pulse while Hyper Beam is usually a last resort (lack of stab means it doesn't hit that hard). What you need to do is just act as a wall until Dragon Pulse and Hydro Pump are gone and then keep eating away at it's health.

Be warned that she'll spam healing items on Kingdra and once Hyper Beam is gone as well she'll only have Smokescreen left. If you still have Swift on your Staryu then just switch to that once Kingdra has lost all it's PP for attacking moves and chip away at it.

Basically as long as you carry enough healing items to stall for 20 turns of attacks Kingdra is gone.

OMG Aero said:
My swarm today is a Chansey one so if someone wants to trade a Lucky Egg for something just say so and I'll try and get you one.
Do you still need a Heat Rock? If so I'll see if I can get one on the pokewalker today.

OMG Aero

Metroid Killer said:
Do you still need a Heat Rock? If so I'll see if I can get one on the pokewalker today.
Yeah, I managed to get a few Sunny Day TMs from the Pokewalker myself but haven't unlocked the course with the Heat Rock yet so I'll trade a Lucky Egg for each Heat Rock you can get me.

Aurarian

Ugh. I finally caught Entei last night, but Raikou is being a bitch to get. He has like maybe 10% left and dusk balls aren't working to well. =/ I still got Latios to get too.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hello people, I was wondering if I could ask any of you a favour to help evolve my Onix and Scyther? Just got the metal coat; guessing that's all I need.

I live in the UK and am available anytime tonight from 6pm GMT. Is there a set way you guys do these things around here, or should I just give my FC and jump in the wifi area?

Top Bottom