• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Axis

Wiseblade said:
My Gym's yet to have a single challenge... I'm going to be upgrading the team soon, so you might want to get your challenge in while it's still easy mode.

what badge? we can get down son! then get down in the ssf4 tourney =P

You too I wished my last pokemon had killed itself, instead of giving you all the credits :lol

Axis said:
coming for you soon, sucka

do i need to ev train before attempting the battle frontier? i wanna be able to farm my own tm's and access to the move tutors
It's a good idea, but I got a long way with a Garchomp, Starmie and Mamoswine/Metagross all of them with wrong natures, no EV-training.

Or you can use the Ninjask trick:
Ninjask, Swords Dance (if the foe didn't hit then SD again). When hit, it'll hung on its Focus Sash. Protect the 2nd (or if lucky, 3rd) turn. Baton Pass these gigantic stats to any physical sweeper (Drapion, Hunchkrow, Metagross). SWEEP.

Axis

Metroid Killer said:
You too I wished my last pokemon had killed itself, instead of giving you all the credits :lol

It's a good idea, but I got a long way with a Garchomp, Starmie and Mamoswine/Metagross all of them with wrong natures, no EV-training.

Or you can use the Ninjask trick:
Ninjask, Swords Dance (if the foe didn't hit then SD again). When hit, it'll hung on its Focus Sash. Protect the 2nd (or if lucky, 3rd) turn. Baton Pass these gigantic stats to any physical sweeper (Drapion, Hunchkrow, Metagross). SWEEP.

lol that's all my ninjask knows...so i'll be well prepared

ohhh i knew i was missing something. anyone have a skorupi?

Kurtofan

Hi everyone I'm looking for some Pokemon:Mawile,Kecleon,Mudkip,Torchic and totodile.
my code is 1849 4575 8811.I have all version exclusive Heartgold pokemon and all the other starters.

Earlier in the week: Finished IV breeding 4 more groups of pokemon. My team is almost assembled.

Couple of days ago: Finally got a mightyena and spent the better part of a day trying to get two electirizers. :/

I then got 2 magmarizers in less than 20 minutes.:lol

Just now: I IV bred a batch of new pokemon and they are absolute monters. THEY SHOULD NOT EXIST.

Fun week in pokeland.

Axis said:
ohhh i knew i was missing something. anyone have a skorupi?
Kurtofan said:
Hi everyone I'm looking for some Pokemon:Mawile,Kecleon,Mudkip,Torchic and totodile.
my code is 1849 4575 8811.I have all version exclusive Heartgold pokemon and all the other starters.

Got those, don't need anything in return.

My FC is 5156-4291-4002

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'll probably be around for battles the rest of the evening if anyone's interested. I'm going to be sending out PMs to everyone in the league thread tonight because I want to actually get some matches done for that.

Stage On

Hey guys how's it going? I'm looking for a couple of pokemon: Squirtle, Treeko

My code is 3824 4403 7584

I'm not really sure what I can give in return for them.

I also need to trade my poliwhirl back and forth so it'll evolve to politoad

I guess I got lucky: caught about 7 Chansey (finally found a use for those Friend Balls) and got 1 Lucky Egg. Perfect for training: Exp. Share on one Poke, Egg on the other and they both level a lot faster.

Thanks for the tip on re-challenging gym leaders: I've beaten Brock a few times now and it's a lot easier than the Elite 4.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh and to anyone I have pending trade with: If my gym is open it means its open for trading, too.

Lone_Prodigy said:
I guess I got lucky: caught about 7 Chansey (finally found a use for those Friend Balls) and got 1 Lucky Egg. Perfect for training: Exp. Share on one Poke, Egg on the other and they both level a lot faster.

Thanks for the tip on re-challenging gym leaders: I've beaten Brock a few times now and it's a lot easier than the Elite 4.

Yup, also keep in mind that on Sunday/Wednesday and Monday/Friday the SS Aqua has trainers with Pokemon around level 30-40 from Vermillion and Olivine, respectively.

Morokh

SolarPowered said:
Couple of days ago: Finally got a mightyena and spent the better part of a day trying to get two electirizers. :/

I then got 2 magmarizers in less than 20 minutes.:lol

Did you have to insert FireRed or LeafGreen like in Diamond / pearl to make those items appear, or are they in the game from start ?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Clair is such a bitch, with her Full Restores and her Thunder Waves and her U CANT POISUN ME, I HAS SHED SCALES.

I beat her with five of my six Pokémon dead, and the remaining one — an Ampharos — was only alive because, during my Rapidash's final breaths, I used a Revive on the Ampharos, then Lemonaded her as soon as she came into the battle.

I flicked off my screen so hard when I murdered that fucking Kingdra. So hard.

Sixfortyfive

The best part is that she doesn't even give you the badge. She's all "Fuck you, I'm not supposed to lose so it doesn't count!"

CloakBass

pokemon1.gif

With the recent release of HeartGold and SoulSilver, I thought it high time I corrected one of the glaring errors of my childhood – namely, not beating Pokemon Crystal. Picking up where I left off a few months prior, I got my last Johto badge, defeated the Elite Four and then conquered Kanto. Only one area left standing in my way – Mt. Silver.

A brief outline of my team:

1. Lugia – Level 60 (caught, but not really raised in any significant way)
2. Typhlosion – Level 53 (my starter, named “StarmanDLX” in honor of EarthBound and my Bulbasaur in Pokemon Blue)
3. Suicune – Level 51
4. Gengar – Level 50
5. Farfetch’d – Level 44 (seemingly useless in battle, training him to learn False Swipe)
6. Voltorb – Level 18 (just to use Flash)

I think I flipped a wig when I saw that the final boss’ first Pokemon was a LEVEL EIGHTY-FLIPPIN’-ONE Pikachu, my highest level Pokemon being at 60 and 53 following that, I knew things weren’t going to be easy.

So I squeak by the boss’ Pikachu, Blastoise and Espeon and then he suddenly decides to send out the bane of my existence: SNORLAX. This level 75 powerhouse forces me into a depressing battle of attrition, wherein I nearly exhaust my entire supply of potions and revives. The Snorlax uses Amnesia to boost his Special Defense up to obscene levels so none of my elemental attacks do any damage beyond a pixel or so of health (my Lugia’s Hydropump became worthless WITH Rain Dance). Every time I make a slight dent into Snorlax’s massive armor he uses Rest to spite me. His Body Slam move, considering the differences in levels between Pokemon, was absolutely devastating. After around 30 or so minutes of trying unsuccessfully to whittle away this monstrosity’s HP and having my best Pokemon faint and revive multiple times, Snorlax seemingly uses all the PP for Body Slam. At this point, he begins using Snore to KILL MY POKEMON WHILE HE SLEEPS AND REGENERATES HIS HEALTH

So I don’t know what to do, Snore is a weak move but my Pokemon are paltry in level and their attacks do barely any damage. I can just see myself blacking out and waking up at the last Pokemon Center, my head hanging in shame as I realize how ineffectual of a Pokemon Master I really am. I’m like Ash in the Pokemon Movie when he turns into a rock, only I don’t have a Pikachu in my party to revive me with its tears. Instead I shall remain as a pitiful statue lying amidst the rubble spread about the feet of the final boss for an eternity, reminding untold generations to come of my failure. They will write songs about my failure, like Guy Fawkes.

So I get desperate, none of the Pokemon I’m using are doing any good. I figure anything is worth a shot at this point, so I send out my weakling level 44 Farfetch’d to confront this level 75 colossus. I think I heard Snorlax laughing through the speakers of my TV. I didn’t even know the game could do that, but whatever. Every time this beast uses Snore, Farfetch’d enters critically dangerous HP territory. I’m talking red color, beeping noises, the works. I use Hyper Potions like shock therapy to snap the poor bird back into consciousness after every near-death experience. I can practically hear PETA knocking on my door.

It works.

With every lapse in attack, Snorlax uses Rest to regain his health. I use this moment to have Farfetch’d perform Swords Dance, greatly raising his attack power (or so the pixelated text informs me). This goes on for at least 12 turns, eventually I am unable raise my attack power any further. Next time Snorlax uses Rest, it’s time to put this theory to the test.

I use Slash. His HP crawls beyond the half-way point, well into the yellow “caution” area. Swords Dance has infused Farfetch’d with Super Saiyan levels of strength. He has ascended to the next level of consciousness, mere mortals dare not provoke his mighty duck-billed wrath. The single stalk of leek he carries with him transforms into a cane of divine jurisprudence. With it he dispenses justices against the cowards and sinners who dare cast Snore in the midst of Pokebattle.

Another Slash. He’s dead.

From this point on, nothing can stand in my way. Venusaur? Charizard? Just who the hell do you think I am?! They are nothing to me. I crush them with the fists of a million burning north stars. As the battle ends, the trainer stands before me in utter shock. The customary post-battle formalities are through, the only words that escape his mouth are “…”. That’s right, just don’t say anything. It’ll be easier that way.

I am a Pokemon Master.

Anyone else have any crazy Pokemon moments like this? They say you're not a master until you catch 'em all, but I felt like a damn king after this. Among the best moments I've ever experienced with a videogame.

Sixfortyfive

:lol The banner is great.

You should fight against Red in HGSS though. He's even more of a beast from what I can tell.

OMG Aero

Andrex said:
Yup, also keep in mind that on Sunday/Wednesday and Monday/Friday the SS Aqua has trainers with Pokemon around level 30-40 from Vermillion and Olivine, respectively.
Unfortunately this only happens once. When you beat the trainers, you can't battle them again on a different day.

Morokh said:
Did you have to insert FireRed or LeafGreen like in Diamond / pearl to make those items appear, or are they in the game from start ?
I was playing pokemon platinum with a mighyena to get the items off of magmar and electabuzz.

Linoone with covet is probably a better pokemon to use when compared to mightyena though.

Platinum is probably the most friendly of the pokemon games when it comes to stones, tms and items.

Sixfortyfive

OMG Aero said:
Unfortunately this only happens once. When you beat the trainers, you can't battle them again on a different day.
This is true, but there are two sets of trainers that can be fought, one for the route to Vermilion and another for the route to Olivine.

The captain also gives you a new Arceus Plate for each trip if you talk to him.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So today I realized the reason I couldn't get Claire's number or re-challenge my rival at Indigo Plateau was because I never did the double battle with them and Lance. :lol Was confused when I came across a Bulbapedia article that mentioned it, thought I had just forgot. :lol

Sixfortyfive said:
You should fight against Red in HGSS though. He's even more of a beast from what I can tell.

The beastiest. He even outbeasted Barry. >:| Although I suppose its much more fitting.

Sixfortyfive said:
This is true, but there are two sets of trainers that can be fought, one for the route to Vermilion and another for the route to Olivine.

The captain also gives you a new Arceus Plate for each trip if you talk to him.

Gah! Forgot about the plate today. :lol Oh well.

That kinda sucks that you can only get trainer matches on the SS Aqua twice...

Finalow

//

With the recent release of HeartGold and SoulSilver, I thought it high time I corrected one of the glaring errors of my childhood – namely, not beating Pokemon Crystal. Picking up where I left off a few months prior, I got my last Johto badge, defeated the Elite Four and then conquered Kanto. Only one area left standing in my way – Mt. Silver.

A brief outline of my team:

1. Lugia – Level 60 (caught, but not really raised in any significant way)
2. Typhlosion – Level 53 (my starter, named “StarmanDLX” in honor of EarthBound and my Bulbasaur in Pokemon Blue)
3. Suicune – Level 51
4. Gengar – Level 50
5. Farfetch’d – Level 44 (seemingly useless in battle, training him to learn False Swipe)
6. Voltorb – Level 18 (just to use Flash)

I think I flipped a wig when I saw that the final boss’ first Pokemon was a LEVEL EIGHTY-FLIPPIN’-ONE Pikachu, my highest level Pokemon being at 60 and 53 following that, I knew things weren’t going to be easy.

So I squeak by the boss’ Pikachu, Blastoise and Espeon and then he suddenly decides to send out the bane of my existence: SNORLAX. This level 75 powerhouse forces me into a depressing battle of attrition, wherein I nearly exhaust my entire supply of potions and revives. The Snorlax uses Amnesia to boost his Special Defense up to obscene levels so none of my elemental attacks do any damage beyond a pixel or so of health (my Lugia’s Hydropump became worthless WITH Rain Dance). Every time I make a slight dent into Snorlax’s massive armor he uses Rest to spite me. His Body Slam move, considering the differences in levels between Pokemon, was absolutely devastating. After around 30 or so minutes of trying unsuccessfully to whittle away this monstrosity’s HP and having my best Pokemon faint and revive multiple times, Snorlax seemingly uses all the PP for Body Slam. At this point, he begins using Snore to KILL MY POKEMON WHILE HE SLEEPS AND REGENERATES HIS HEALTH

So I don’t know what to do, Snore is a weak move but my Pokemon are paltry in level and their attacks do barely any damage. I can just see myself blacking out and waking up at the last Pokemon Center, my head hanging in shame as I realize how ineffectual of a Pokemon Master I really am. I’m like Ash in the Pokemon Movie when he turns into a rock, only I don’t have a Pikachu in my party to revive me with its tears. Instead I shall remain as a pitiful statue lying amidst the rubble spread about the feet of the final boss for an eternity, reminding untold generations to come of my failure. They will write songs about my failure, like Guy Fawkes.

So I get desperate, none of the Pokemon I’m using are doing any good. I figure anything is worth a shot at this point, so I send out my weakling level 44 Farfetch’d to confront this level 75 colossus. I think I heard Snorlax laughing through the speakers of my TV. I didn’t even know the game could do that, but whatever. Every time this beast uses Snore, Farfetch’d enters critically dangerous HP territory. I’m talking red color, beeping noises, the works. I use Hyper Potions like shock therapy to snap the poor bird back into consciousness after every near-death experience. I can practically hear PETA knocking on my door.

It works.

With every lapse in attack, Snorlax uses Rest to regain his health. I use this moment to have Farfetch’d perform Swords Dance, greatly raising his attack power (or so the pixelated text informs me). This goes on for at least 12 turns, eventually I am unable raise my attack power any further. Next time Snorlax uses Rest, it’s time to put this theory to the test.

I use Slash. His HP crawls beyond the half-way point, well into the yellow “caution” area. Swords Dance has infused Farfetch’d with Super Saiyan levels of strength. He has ascended to the next level of consciousness, mere mortals dare not provoke his mighty duck-billed wrath. The single stalk of leek he carries with him transforms into a cane of divine jurisprudence. With it he dispenses justices against the cowards and sinners who dare cast Snore in the midst of Pokebattle.

Another Slash. He’s dead.

From this point on, nothing can stand in my way. Venusaur? Charizard? Just who the hell do you think I am?! They are nothing to me. I crush them with the fists of a million burning north stars. As the battle ends, the trainer stands before me in utter shock. The customary post-battle formalities are through, the only words that escape his mouth are “…”. That’s right, just don’t say anything. It’ll be easier that way.

I am a Pokemon Master.
oh god :lol

That battle story was great. Reminds me of when I battled Red in Gold: similarly had trouble with his Snorlax, even with a level 100 Jynx I loaned from my brother. Think I ended up Struggling him to death. But I never beat him with a level 44 Farfetch'd (who I only use for Cut and Fly, and switching into Earthquakes). :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Two pieces of good news.

First, I've completed the Kanto section of the Pokedex for the first time ever. That's one childhood dream finally fulfilled.

Second, in the latest Nintendo Power, some of the devs say they want (and were planning) to expand the Pokewalker in future games. Good.

Blizzard

Banned
Vitally important question: I was going to put my pokemon cartridge back in my DSi, and I noticed it rattled! It seems some DS cartridges rattle to varying degrees. Does this mean there's a chance that my relatively new game is going to die, losing me 5,000,000,000 hours of playing time? Or is such a rattle par for the course?

Inquiring minds want to know! :lol

Okay, this is a little off-topic.

I don't really watch the Pokemon anime, in fact I think most of the non-canon Pokemon stuff is absolutely fucking stupid (Pokemon saying their own names? Absolute dumbest idea ever.)

Anyways, a friend brought it to my attention that the anime actually has some very nice symphonic arrangements of songs from the videogames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNVNQNZPRRM&feature=related

This shit is fucking amazing, especially since I'm playing Soul Silver right now. My question is did they make amazing soundtracks like this for each generation? Are there Gen III and IV songs done in this fashion?

I would absolutely shit every pair of pants I own if that is the case.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SuperAngelo64 said:
Okay, this is a little off-topic.

I don't really watch the Pokemon anime, in fact I think most of the non-canon Pokemon stuff is absolutely fucking stupid (Pokemon saying their own names? Absolute dumbest idea ever.)

Anyways, a friend brought it to my attention that the anime actually has some very nice symphonic arrangements of songs from the videogames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNVNQNZPRRM&feature=related

This shit is fucking amazing, especially since I'm playing Soul Silver right now. My question is did they make amazing soundtracks like this for each generation? Are there Gen III and IV songs done in this fashion?

I would absolutely shit every pair of pants I own if that is the case.

Yeah, there are. They've always done a nice job with music, noticed it first watching it when the RBY battle theme came on.

Heck one of the Japanese openings is purely orchestrated.

Sixfortyfive

Andrex said:
I might be around for battles in 10 minutes or so. Depends on whether I can get this usb connector installed on the office computer. >.>

Hooray for being moved to a workshop with Internet access!

Top Bottom