• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

So I'm trying to get a Heracross. I read on Serebii that I should be able to get one on Rt. 33, but I've been headbutting trees for a few minutes and I'm getting nothing, not even other Pokemon. Is there some other thing I have to do? I tried headbutting the trees both in and away from the grass. It's raining if that matters.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gaming Truth said:
Was Arceus literally behind you when you spoke to the captain? I'm 1/1 so far

D'oh. I feel so damn stupid. I never had Arceus (have him in the box 24/7) and didn't think that was required.

Slap me, I'm stupid.

dr3upmushroom said:
So I'm trying to get a Heracross. I read on Serebii that I should be able to get one on Rt. 33, but I've been headbutting trees for a few minutes and I'm getting nothing, not even other Pokemon. Is there some other thing I have to do? I tried headbutting the trees both in and away from the grass. It's raining if that matters.
The encounter rate for pokemon in trees is really low and Heracross is rare at that.

dr3upmushroom said:
I think I picked it off a tree in the bottom right corner of azalea town. just keep whacking trees.
remember that a tree that gives pokemon will give pokemon every time you headbutt it, and if a tree doesn't give you a pokemon, that means it doesn't have any at all.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Metroid Killer said:
I'll be available throughout the day if people wanna challenge my Dark Gym team (I'm looking at you SixFortyFive!)
If you're around in ~5 hours then it's on.

The gym leaders aren't having too much luck so far. Echoes and I are the only ones who have won a single match... and they were against each other. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well, that's how it's supposed to be. How fun would the games be if you couldn't beat a gym leader?

fredrancour said:
I think I picked it off a tree in the bottom right corner of azalea town. just keep whacking trees.
remember that a tree that gives pokemon will give pokemon every time you headbutt it, and if a tree doesn't give you a pokemon, that means it doesn't have any at all.
Cool, did not know this. Once I find a tree that gives Pokemon I can just headbutt that one over and over though, correct? Or is there some thing like if a tree has Pokemon it only carries a certain predetermined set of Pokemon?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
dr3upmushroom said:
Cool, did not know this. Once I find a tree that gives Pokemon I can just headbutt that one over and over though, correct? Or is there some thing like if a tree has Pokemon it only carries a certain predetermined set of Pokemon?

Only a couple trees in the game have special, predetermined Pokemon. For the rest, yes, headbutt over and over.

Sixfortyfive said:
If you're around in ~5 hours then it's on.

The gym leaders aren't having too much luck so far. Echoes and I are the only ones who have won a single match... and they were against each other. :lol
Yeah I should be available at that time. And yeah it's defintely difficult to cover against all types with a monoteam. But as Andrex already mentioned, that's part of the fun, and you have to depend on some type-gimmick instead.

Teknoman said:
Wait we have GAF gym leaders now? I've really been out of the loop.
Check this thread out for information.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wonder, is there any non-uber/legend Flying type that resists Electric? I could have sworn that Aerodactyl did but apparently not.

Maybe I'll have to resort to Zapdos, which would suck since I've already caught one in SoulSilver... although apparently they roam in Platinum, which I'm close to buying...

Edit- Gliscor? Ugggh.

upandaway

Andrex said:
I wonder, is there any non-uber/legend Flying type that resists Electric? I could have sworn that Aerodactyl did but apparently not.
Resistance isn't possible, only immunity or x1. But that's nitpicking.

Anyway, Flygon man. Definitely Flygon. U-turn their ass.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I was thinking about Altaria before, actually... Wanted another typing and dragon fit the bill. Hrm...

Thanks, Six.

Sixfortyfive

Generally if you're using a move that has less than 85% accuracy you better have a damn good reason to be using it imo.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:

Maybe I'll have to resort to Zapdos, which would suck since I've already caught one in SoulSilver... although apparently they roam in Platinum, which I'm close to buying...

Edit- Gliscor? Ugggh.

Gliscor rocks and is Empoleon's partner in crime. it's almost a crime to use one without using the other.

OMG Aero

Metroid Killer said:
Cool, I'm then room, lets hope there wont be any errors this time.

Edit: Yay it works! Thanks for the egg!
No problem, a heat rock is vital for the team I want to try out. If you happen to come across two more I'll gladly trade them for lucky eggs too.

Holy shit that was fucking intense! GG!! Damn had my last pokemon had any priority move I would have won the very last fight. Damn that milotic, had I just killed it off earlier... And you had a very important critical hit at one point.

Best/Most fun I've had in a wifi match so far :D

My only mistake was when you switched in Milotic(for some reason I knew you would switch it in, and I chose the wrong pokemon)

wee! Caught Rayquaza with relative easy. My catcher was Parasect, and when Rayquaza wasn't killing itself after every Outrage and resting all the time, it would basically wipe me out with Air Slash. Luckily I caught after resetting 2 times. I'm sure it could have been pretty ugly, if I had been unlucky.

Lugia and Mewtwo left to catch!

Wiseblade

Are any Gym leaders around? I'm itching for a fight, and I'm the only one without a badge. My Gym's open too BTW.

Also: What happens if/when someone get all of the badges? Are we going to have a champion? An elite four?

Sixfortyfive

Metroid Killer said:
wee! Caught Rayquaza with relative easy. My catcher was Parasect, and when Rayquaza wasn't killing itself after every Outrage and resting all the time, it would basically wipe me out with Air Slash. Luckily I caught after resetting 2 times. I'm sure it could have been pretty ugly, if I had been unlucky.

Lugia and Mewtwo left to catch!
Rayquaza was the worst. Outrage had the chance of sending him into confusion even if you put him to sleep right after he used it for the first time. Can't risk false swiping him down to 1 HP in that case.

Wiseblade said:
Are any Gym leaders around? I'm itching for a fight, and I'm the only one without a badge. My Gym's open too BTW.

Also: What happens if/when someone get all of the badges? Are we going to have a champion? An elite four?
Let me check your challenger team so I can decide which Pokemon I'm going to use. :3

Dunno if there's going to be any special distinction for whoever performs best, though I do have a decent prize idea in mind.

EDIT: Use my HG FC: 4082-7707-6833. Remember, I enforce Item Clause.

Wiseblade

Sixfortyfive said:
Rayquaza was the worst. Outrage had the chance of sending him into confusion even if you put him to sleep right after he used it for the first time. Can't risk false swiping him down to 1 HP in that case.

Let me check your challenger team so I can decide which Pokemon I'm going to use. :3

Dunno if there's going to be any special distinction for whoever performs best, though I do have a decent prize idea in mind.

EDIT: Use my HG FC: 4082-7707-6833. Remember, I enforce Item Clause.

What? Boo....

suikodan

1- What's the best way to catch tough Pokémon? I'm at Articuno, I've lowered his HP down to a pixel and he's sleeping. I keep throwing Ultra Balls without success. What's the best status modifier to catch them? Sleep? Paralysis?

2- What's the deal with having a gym and badges online? Is it a feature or something?

Wiseblade

Sixfortyfive said:
Glaceon makes quite the fearsome Life Orb sweeper... under certain circumstances.

HELL MARCH! gg

Yeah, GG. I can see why you like double battles so much; mono ice teams seem really suited to them.

suikodan said:
1- What's the best way to catch tough Pokémon? I'm at Articuno, I've lowered his HP down to a pixel and he's sleeping. I keep throwing Ultra Balls without success. What's the best status modifier to catch them? Sleep? Paralysis?

2- What's the deal with having a gym and badges online? Is it a feature or something?

1) what you're doing is fine, but if you want to MAXIMISE your chances of catching a poke the you might want to carry a Pokémon that knows false swipe to whittle it down to 1hp. Dusk balls also help if you playing at night or in a cave(ingame, duh. :lol). Otherwise you can use timer balls if the battle starts to drag. Both have a higher catch rate than ultra balls and timers look cooler, too.

2) No, that's just us being a little more bored than usual.

Sixfortyfive

Wiseblade said:
Yeah, GG. I can see why you like double battles so much; mono ice teams seem really suited to them.
More or less. Have you been watching the VGC this year? Abomasnow is on every frickin' team! Hatchet Man still chewed me up and spit me out like it was nothing though... Take a glance at his team and it's not too hard to understand why.

Will you be around in 30-60 mins for a Water Gym battle?

suikodan said:

1) Sleep is the best status condition. It's best to have something on your team that knows False Swipe + Spore (Breloom, Smeargle, Parasect). Dusk Balls are twice as effective as Ultra Balls in the dark while Timer Balls are twice as effective as Ultra Balls after 30 turns. Other balls in HGSS are also more effective than either of these depending on circumstance, but Dusk is usually the one-size-fits-all solution.

2) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390158

Wiseblade

Sixfortyfive said:
More or less. Have you been watching the VGC this year? Abomasnow is on every frickin' team! Hatchet Man still chewed me up and spit me out like it was nothing though... Take a glance at his team and it's not too hard to understand why.

Will you be around in 30-60 mins for a Water Gym battle?

I might have to now. I would have thought that with two legendaries allowed, Kyogre powered rain dance teams would run rampant. What with specced water spout killing virtually everything...

Yeah I'll be around.

Sixfortyfive

Alright, I'm back. I can be ready for a match in a couple minutes. I'll be using Platinum. You should have this FC unless you've had to delete it to make room recently.

Sixfortyfive

Generally, I think complaining about or apologizing for luck in Pokemon is one of the most childish things a player can do.

But after Torterra and Absol went down the way they did, I was pretty determined to make this as annoying as possible. :lol

All other things aside, I really need to break the habit of setting up things I don't need to set up when it would be advantageous to just attack. It's gotten me into trouble with Echoes twice and it got me off to a bad start here too. You at least played it well.

Wiseblade

Sixfortyfive said:
Generally, I think complaining about or apologizing for luck in Pokemon is one of the most childish things a player can do.

But after Torterra and Absol went down the way they did, I was pretty determined to make this as annoying as possible. :lol

All other things aside, I really need to break the habit of setting up things I don't need to set up when it would be advantageous to just attack. It's gotten me into trouble with Echoes twice and it got me off to a bad start here too.

I was more apologising for the horrid pp stall fest at the end. I definitely played my part to make it as irritating as possible. That's an hour of our lives we'll never get back.

I don't understand why you didn't just continue to use sucker punch with Absol? My Gyarados would have dies to LO damage either way, whereas you could have swept my team with it out of the way.

Sixfortyfive

Wiseblade said:
I was more apologising for the horrid pp stall fest at the end. I definitely played my part to make it as irritating as possible.

I don't understand why you didn't just continue to use sucker punch with Absol? My Gyarados would have dies to LO damage either way, whereas you could have swept my team with it out of the way.
I figured you were just Dragon Dancing me out of PP. Sucker Punch only gets 8 max.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
GymStatusClosed02.png

Top Bottom