• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Dunno if you're going to get any takers when Hatchet Man and I have already fought you and Wiseblade is running on Euro-time.

We need moar challengers.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
Dunno if you're going to get any takers when Hatchet Man and I have already fought you and Wiseblade is running on Euro-time.

Yeah. Whenever I finish Galaxy 2 I'll start putting together my competitive team (after I'm done with that Altaria, of course.)

Plus that sign is also for the two people who have pending trades with me. It's kinda like the bat signal. :p

OMG Aero

Sixfortyfive said:

I'm definitely going to be a challenger. I just need more time to build my team. It takes so long to grind in SS.

SirSwirl

Neo Member
Hello Gaf, I'm starting to finally get into the meta game and had 2 quick questions about it for anyone willing to answer:

I recently discovered the the exp share transfers EVs as well, for EV training, is there any way to train a Pokemon without it gaining EVs? I want to get all my guys to around level 40 before EV training them but it seems like I won't be able to.

My other question is, for Pokemon evolutions, the evolutions have higher stats then the lower evolutions, so for Pokemon that you can evolve at any time with trade or an item, would evolving them at a lower level cause the final stats to be higher when it reaches level 100, or will the stats reach the same numbers at the end regardless of when I evolve them?

Much thanks in advance.

Sixfortyfive

SirSwirl said:
I recently discovered the the exp share transfers EVs as well, for EV training, is there any way to train a Pokemon without it gaining EVs? I want to get all my guys to around level 40 before EV training them but it seems like I won't be able to.
The only ways to gain experience without gaining EVs are:
- Rare Candies, which are hard to farm
- daycare, which risks overwriting important moves if you're not careful
- Pokewalker, which takes a long time

It's usually best to start EV training immediately from level 1. Yeah, for a while, you usually have to send in your level 1, then switch out to a Pokemon that can actually fight for every encounter. I still need to update the EV training hotspot list in the other thread, now that I think about it.

My other question is, for Pokemon evolutions, the evolutions have higher stats then the lower evolutions, so for Pokemon that you can evolve at any time with trade or an item, would evolving them at a lower level cause the final stats to be higher when it reaches level 100, or will the stats reach the same numbers at the end regardless of when I evolve them?
The end result is the same.

Check this thread if you haven't already.

OMG Aero

Sixfortyfive said:
It's usually best to start EV training immediately from level 1. Yeah, for a while, you usually have to send in your level 1, then switch out to a Pokemon that can actually fight for every encounter. I still need to update the EV training hotspot list in the other thread, now that I think about it.
I think it's best to play the game normally and not care about EVs until you complete the game. By that point you have access to all the areas and the EV items and you can just use the EV berries to reset all your EVs to 0 anyway.

Sixfortyfive

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I'm starting to feel the poke-burn-out again. Oh man, why oh why is Earthquake so expensive (and so necessary)?
It's not like you need to put it on everything.

It can also help to spread it around via Smeargle breeding chains instead of the TM when possible.

OMG Aero

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I'm starting to feel the poke-burn-out again. Oh man, why oh why is Earthquake so expensive (and so necessary)?
Here's a pro tip I learnt the other day. If you do mystery gift with someone else's Pokewalker then they will appear in the Viridian battle house with the team they had when they put their Pokemon in the walker and you can do this up to 9 or 10 times (I heard you can have 10 trainers in the house and I'm not sure if the default one counts). So if you have enough friends with Pokewalkers you can arrange with them to have only a Pidgey in their party when they use the walker.
If you manage to get a full 10 trainers in the house then that's 10 free BP a day or a new Earthquake TM every 8 days.

OMG Aero said:
Here's a pro tip I learnt the other day. If you do mystery gift with someone else's Pokewalker then they will appear in the Viridian battle house with the team they had when they put their Pokemon in the walker and you can do this up to 9 or 10 times (I heard you can have 10 trainers in the house and I'm not sure if the default one counts). So if you have enough friends with Pokewalkers you can arrange with them to have only a Pidgey in their party when they use the walker.
If you manage to get a full 10 trainers in the house then that's 10 free BP a day or a new Earthquake TM every 8 days.
Unfortunately, I'm a grown-ass man and none of my friends play Pokemon. I don't know any kids anymore. They're all grown up now. The ones that do play video games don't have DSs :'(

Sixfortyfive

I love the Trainer House.

I EV-trained my in-game team and then connected Pokewalkers with a friend. Screw Red. I'm going to be the final boss on his game! :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OMG Aero said:

:lol :lol 10 people with Pokewalkers. I can't even find one, really... Not a kid anymore, it's hard to find local people to link up with nowadays. :lol

Yeah the only people I know with these games are you guys! Heck even some kids I teach martial arts have pokemon games but they are firered and leafgreen. Kids are so behind the times nowadays...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Unfortunately it seems like you aren't the only one burning out, vks. This thread is kinda dead nowadays. >_<

It had a hell of a two-month run that's for sure, I'll always keep you guys in my heart.

1098110-big_boss_salute_super.jpg

Metroid Killer said:
Yeah the only people I know with these games are you guys! Heck even some kids I teach martial arts have pokemon games but they are firered and leafgreen. Kids are so behind the times nowadays...

Do they play them on their DS's? Because I was pretty sure Congress passed a bill requiring every child to own at least one DS. Past four years of NPD data backs this up. :lol

Andrex said:
Do they play them on their DS's? Because I was pretty sure Congress passed a bill requiring every child to own at least one DS. Past four years of NPD data backs this up. :lol
DS Phat! But I'm sure congress are in the process to pass a new bill concerning every child to own DSi.

I wouldn't call the thread dead yet, just slowed down. But it has been an incredible run, probably my best time on neogaf. <3

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hopefully we can repeat the whole thing next year with B/W. :D Although a lot of the fun here was old RB/GS players coming back into the fold.

Just tested out a nice jump-rope that I got as a birthday present two years ago from my girlfriend, we recently moved into a house and finally have a place(and the summer time!) where I want to actually practice jump rope.

10 minutes later = 1000 steps for the pokewalker :lol and signs telling me I need to workout more :D

Andrex said:
Unfortunately it seems like you aren't the only one burning out, vks. This thread is kinda dead nowadays. >_<

It had a hell of a two-month run that's for sure, I'll always keep you guys in my heart.

1098110-big_boss_salute_super.jpg
:lol

It's been a great run and I might just challenge Red before I put the game away. After that, it's back to Ace Attorney Investigations. Let's see if I even remember where I was up to.

This thread best not die, you guys were my only hope for trading & battling etc I've kept a steady flow of playing, just going for the 8th badge but I can see how some of you could be done with it.

MikeDub said:
This thread best not die, you guys were my only hope for trading & battling etc I've kept a steady flow of playing, just going for the 8th badge but I can see how some of you could be done with it.

Um, if this thread slows down, won't it be easier for you to be noticed if you post requests for Pokes or whatever?

Pureauthor said:
Um, if this thread slows down, won't it be easier for you to be noticed if you post requests for Pokes or whatever?
That is a lie and you know it! :lol I was mainly thinking about the pool of people available.

Just because this thread gets slower doesn't me I wont be on gaf and lurking in this thread.

I'm 7 hours short from reaching 700 hours and have almost sucked the game dry.

7 pokemon left to get, three of them being legendary Lugia and Mewtwo (and Celebi)

Getting a 100 battle streak at the Battle Tower.

But nevertheless it's awesome to have all these tools and items now, making it really easy to help others and make it easy to enter the next pokemon game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jeez 700. o_0 I thought I've exhausted a lot and I'm at like 240.

I still have these to do:

- Battle Frontier ribbons
- 100 streak in Battle Tower
- Still tons of Safari Zone stuff to do
- Pokewalker courses (won't finish those for a while)
- Shiny leaf quest
- Buy last three or so records at Pokeathalon
- Do the Wi-Fi Plaza with someone
- Upload a box snapshot to WFC
- Get all gym leader's phone numbers (just waiting on Blue, only two tea times left)
- Biggest Magikarp guy (still haven't done this, gave up a few days ago :lol)
- Get all the trendy phrases (I think I have like 10 now)
- Complete the National Pokedex (at 355 right now, hopefully Celebi event will happen soon)
- Finish my competitive (challenger) team
- Four stars on trainer card (dependent on some of the above)
- Edit: Oh! And the Arceus plates thing on the SS Aqua

This is a pretty exhaustive list of what I hope to have done by the time I put the game down for good, which I think will encompass everything anyone can do in the game. I think that right when that happens, B/W will be out in the States. :lol

I was amazed the first couple days, and still am, at the amount of things to do in this game. I've already completed tons of stuff and still have so much to do. Things like, that guy who gives you box backgrounds for random passwords. It's like, who does Game Freak expect to do that? :lol You'd pretty much have to use the internet, and it's kind of out of the way. But still, there's like six backgrounds you can unlock. And I got em all, of course.

Metroid Killer said:
But nevertheless it's awesome to have all these tools and items now, making it really easy to help others and make it easy to enter the next pokemon game.

Yeah, exactly. I went less than halfsies on Pearl and it was still a decent benefit playing SoulSilver (especially the one-per-game items.) I'm going to be ready as hell when B/W roll around. :D :lol

I just discovered that you can't trade Rotom in it's different forms.

FML.

Still enjoying this game a ton. I'm finding it really obnoxious though on how long it takes to trade Pokemon from my Pearl game over to SoulSilver.

I hope that in Black and White they develop a system where I can just port my Pokemon, items, and cash over after I've obtained the National Dex or something. I've been trying my best to keep my Pokemon going on from the GBA games. Trading from Ruby, to LeafGreen, to Pearl, to Soulsilver. I've got Pokemon from all four regions on my SoulSilver, it's pretty cool.

My god this game cheats badly, Fisherman Barney had his Gyrados use Ice Fang on my Mareep three times in a row, and it froze Mareep on every single hit. I don't even want to try and think of the odds of that happening without the game cheating.

Wiseblade

Azure Phoenix said:
My god this game cheats badly, Fisherman Barney had his Gyrados use Ice Fang on my Mareep three times in a row, and it froze Mareep on every single hit. I don't even want to try and think of the odds of that happening without the game cheating.
10% chance x3 = a one in a thousand chance of three consecutive ice fangs causing the frozen status. That's pretty unlikely.

Wiseblade said:
10% chance x3 = a one in a thousand chance of three consecutive ice fangs causing the frozen status. That's pretty unlikely.

Sadly, still a better chance than finding an alternate colored/shiny Pokemon, even with the GTS bonus.

Sixfortyfive

SuperAngelo64 said:
My sister's really been wanting a Refrigerator Rotom but she only has Pearl. I was going to surprise her :\
The alt forms for Rotom, Shaymin, and Giratina don't even exist in D/P.

Sixfortyfive said:
The alt forms for Rotom, Shaymin, and Giratina don't even exist in D/P.

Well the sprites are there, how else would you battle against them?

EDIT: Well damn, you actually can't battle with them! Well that's pointless as shit.

Sixfortyfive

SuperAngelo64 said:
Well the sprites are there, how else would you battle against them?
I'm 99% sure that the sprites (and other data) aren't in D/P. They were introduced in Platinum.

That's the whole reason you can't trade/battle with them over wi-fi in the first place.

Wiseblade said:
Yeah well it happens far too often in modern Pokemon games. Same as when Hypnosis missed Hitmonchan 12 times in a row, or when a Chansey just now has successfully used Sing 4 times in a row every time causing my Pokemon to sleep for 4-5 turns.

Speaking of Chansey I've got a swarm today and will be pilfering all the Lucky Eggs I can find, so if anyone needs some just register your interest and I'll see how many I get today.

Azure Phoenix said:
Yeah well it happens far too often in modern Pokemon games. Same as when Hypnosis missed Hitmonchan 12 times in a row, or when a Chansey just now has successfully used Sing 4 times in a row every time causing my Pokemon to sleep for 4-5 turns.

Speaking of Chansey I've got a swarm today and will be pilfering all the Lucky Eggs I can find, so if anyone needs some just register your interest and I'll see how many I get today.

Well, if you're offering, I'm not gonna say no!

Just cracked 140 hours, 213 Pokemon. Still have to get Latias, Articuno, and Zapdos. Of course there's Red to conquer as well, and I'm currently working on a Rain Dance team (thank you Pokewalker for the TM's). Still haven't done Safari Zone or Battle Frontier yet.

I do the Bug-Catching Contest every time though, and I have yet to lose with a full-HP sleeping Scyther/Pinsir. Unfortunately I got an Oval Stone the other day. :(

I've been doing the Trainer House thing but with only one Trainer it's a long road to Earthquake.

I have to ask though: how do you survive to use Hypnosis 12 times in a row?

Yay! my copy of Heart Gold just came in from UPS and i plan on laying some time into it today. Would anyone be willing to trade me one of the ruby/sapphire starters per chance? Its always nice to have a leg up in this game. My eternal gratitude If someone does come though for me :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I have a Chansey swarm today too, and I'm wondering how to best pickup Lucky Eggs. I've heard Linoone is pretty good, is it enough to just have it at the front of my party? Should I teach it a move like Knockoff or something?

Andrex said:
I have a Chansey swarm today too, and I'm wondering how to best pickup Lucky Eggs. I've heard Linoone is pretty good, is it enough to just have it at the front of my party? Should I teach it a move like Knockoff or something?

You're going to need Covet/Thief to steal the item.

Andrex said:
Fainted Butterfree at the head of your party, Stantler with Thief and the Frisk ability in the second spot of your party.

That combo boosts your chances of Chansey holding an item, lets you see what item Chansey is holding and then steal said item.

OMG Aero

Andrex said:
The best way to get items from wild Pokemon is to have a Pokemon with the Compoundeyes ability (Like Nincada) fainted in front of your team to increase the chance of it holding an item then in your second slot have a Pokemon with covet or thief.
Banette works well because its frisk ability will tell you at the start of the battle if it has an item and whether it is a lucky egg or an oval stone.

I've just IV bred all of the necessary(I've got some I'd like to try!) pokemon and I just need a couple of TM's to be on my way. I'm looking for three Earthquakes, at least 1 thunder wave and one stealth rock.

I've got options on what I can offer.

fire stones
thunder stones
Moon stone
Everstone
Multiple heart scales
Dusk stones
Dawn stones
Sun stones
Leaf stones
Electirizer

TM: