• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

OMG Aero

Obsessed said:
The title is all wrong. HG has better boxart, and has Caterpie. Silver has stupid weedle. Does weedle have a ridiculously accurate stun spore/sleep powder? I didn't think so.
Gold is also called heartgold and it is widely known that hearts are for girls whereas souls are completely manly.

Magni

Dogenzaka said:
DSi doesn't fix anything. It's WPA security doesn't work with DS games that didn't support it. Pokemon has never supported WPA, so the DSi woudn't change that.

Didn't know that, as I don't have a DSi, thanks for clearing that out.

me in "This thread is for stupid questions that don't deserve their own individual threads" said:
Does playasia send games in advance of the release date, or do they send them the day the game comes out? I've pre-ordered the US versions of HG and SS, will they ship 'em before or on March 14th?

So, anyone in this thread know?

MagniHarvald said:
I think they ship games when they get them (Japanese games usually shipping on Tuesday or Wednesday when they release Thursday), for US games this tends to be shortly after the actual US release. So really it depends on when they get their copies.

mjc

Waiiit a minute. Is the Pichu over Nintendo Wi-fi only available to UK gamers? I missed the Gamestop event here in the US.

Norua said:
OP > Europe's release : March 26th

Tis True. Good that its two days after payday so it falls into my "April" spending and not march's :lol but bad that its bloody ages away.

Also for Uk people Gamestation is giving out the figures if you preorder, im not bothered about them so ive still got my £26 one at the shopthatcantbementioned.

Got back into Pokemon after however many years since Red with Diamond for nostalgia purposes, and managed to talk a few friends into trying it out too.

None of them will be coming back for HG/SS. Anyone up for trading around starters? Generally try to get a female of each.

Ondore

I learned tonight that they ditched the "6 Pokemon/GBA cart/day" rule for Pal Park in these ones. Where was that when I stripmined my 3rd gen games THREE FREAKING YEARS AGO?

OMG Aero

Ondore said:
I learned tonight that they ditched the "6 Pokemon/GBA cart/day" rule for Pal Park in these ones. Where was that when I stripmined my 3rd gen games THREE FREAKING YEARS AGO?
What they need to do now is let you mass trade Pokemon by selecting all the ones you want to trade from the box and just letting the game do it.
I've been trying to complete the National Dex in Platinum before Gold and Silver are out and I'm nearly done (I have less than 20 left to get and the majority are just catching legendaries I haven't bothered yet like the birds and Regis). But even when I do complete the Dex, I won't be able to trade across the Pokemon and get a reward in Silver unless I do something like 80 trades.

Pein

Banned
So gonna get Heart gold, I remember back in elementary school I was like an outsider since every other kid had silver. So definitely gonna get Gold again.

Also gonna gonna start out with chicorita and I'll be getting a mareep for sure on my team.

Ushojax said:
Where does it say that? At the Shaymin event I just stood outside the shop, searched for the gift via WiFi. That was it. I don't know how a code system would even work with the existing DS games. Maybe that's just some terms and conditions jargon, or I guess they could be doing it via an actual trade, instead of a Mystery Gift, and the code is just a GAME thing. Weird, though.
http://www.game.co.uk/lowdown.aspx?lid=13167&cm_sp=pokemon-_-topnav-_-storeevent

MagniHarvald said:
Play-Asia

If it was a Japanese game they'd ship early. Being a US game they have to have it shipped to Hong Kong, and then shipped to you (back to the US?)

Obviously this delays it somewhat and I wouldn't expect your order until a week or two later.

There'll be quicker places than P-A, wherever in the world you are

Magni

toythatkills said:
http://www.game.co.uk/lowdown.aspx?lid=13167&cm_sp=pokemon-_-topnav-_-storeevent

If it was a Japanese game they'd ship early. Being a US game they have to have it shipped to Hong Kong, and then shipped to you (back to the US?)

Obviously this delays it somewhat and I wouldn't expect your order until a week or two later.

There'll be quicker places than P-A, wherever in the world you are

To France. What'd be the fastest way to get a US copy of the game to France, and one's that reliable?

Magni

toythatkills said:
Videogamesplus. And they have a French language version, if that's your bag.

Nope, not at all, which is why I want the US version. I made the mistake of buying Diamond in France, never again :lol

Hmm.. movietyme = 63.97 GBP = 71.26 EUR (7-21 day delivery according to them)
videogamesplus = 94.97 CAD = 67.79 EUR (1-21 day delivery according to them)
playasia = 55.80 USD = 62.98 EUR (7-14 day delivery according to you..)

Play-asia still seems like the best bet, no?

Eteric Rice

Will there be an easier way to know if your Pokemon has good IVs this time, or will I have to use that stupid calculator on those websites? -_-

MagniHarvald said:
Nope, not at all, which is why I want the US version. I made the mistake of buying Diamond in France, never again :lol

Hmm.. movietyme = 63.97 GBP = 71.26 EUR (7-21 day delivery according to them)
videogamesplus = 94.97 CAD = 67.79 EUR (1-21 day delivery according to them)
playasia = 55.80 USD = 62.98 EUR (7-14 day delivery according to you..)

Play-asia still seems like the best bet, no?
Well vg+ have made a habit with big releases recently of shipping them slightly early based on how long it'll take to reach you. I've never (touch wood) had anything take 21 days, ever, usually it takes 6-7 days to get to the UK.

If it's absolute speed over price you're after though, then tronix or gamestop are best.

Price over speed, P-A I guess.

EDIT: Actually, your P-A price is wrong, no? For both games it'll be $92 or so.

upandaway

Eteric Rice said:
Will there be an easier way to know if your Pokemon has good IVs this time, or will I have to use that stupid calculator on those websites? -_-
Isn't there an IV rater in Platinum? I thought you don't need the calculator for that?

Magni

Alright, thanks I'll stick with P-A. I'm taking a train to see family on the 16th, and then again on the 3rd of April, so none of these sites will have shipped it to me by the first date, and probably all three by the second. If not, my little brother is gonna be pissed off to have to wait till May to get his hands on HeartGold :lol

1 x Pokemon Soul Silver (US, No Region Protection)
US$ 39.90 (~27.77 EUR)
1 x Pokemon Heart Gold (US, No Region Protection)
US$ 39.90 (~27.77 EUR)
1 x Coupon: XX-XXX-XX)
US$ -5.00 (~-3.48 EUR)

Sum US$ 74.80 (~52.06 EUR)
Shipping US$ 10.90 (~7.59 EUR)

Total US$ 85.70 (~59.65 EUR)

Closer to 62€ according to Google.

So I had a pretty awkward experience today...

I went to Toys R Us to see if I could get an Arceus which they are giving out if you preorder HG/SS here in Denmark.

However I already have an imported HG and don't want to buy another game, so I would just see if they were nice enough to give me one anyway(and if it at all was possible to transfer it to HG).

So I talk to a Girl at the counter and she understands absolutely nothing of what I'm saying... (They even got posters advertising this preorder campaign, I defintely thought they would know about this). She then calls her boss, who gets there a few minutes later. She too doesn't get anything of what I'm saying, staring with a blank face at me. After explaining what the fucking campaign is about and what I'm asking for 2 times more, she finally seems to get what I'm saying and just anwsers 'Oh so you want to get it for free, LOL you really think you can get it for free, no no no no!'...

Fuck those cheapskates at TRU, it's just a virtuel pokemon, it's not like they are losing a sale by letting me download one. Oh well, I'll see if I can come up with some plan to get one.

Metroid Killer said:
So I had a pretty awkward experience today...

I went to Toys R Us to see if I could get an Arceus which they are giving out if you preorder HG/SS here in Denmark.

However I already have an imported HG and don't want to buy another game, so I would just see if they were nice enough to give me one anyway(and if it at all was possible to transfer it to HG).

So I talk to a Girl at the counter and she understands absolutely nothing of what I'm saying... (They even got posters advertising this preorder campaign, I defintely thought they would know about this). She then calls her boss, who gets there a few minutes later. She too doesn't get anything of what I'm saying, staring with a blank face at me. After explaining what the fucking campaign is about and what I'm asking for 2 times more, she finally seems to get what I'm saying and just anwsers 'Oh so you want to get it for free, LOL you really think you can get it for free, no no no no!'...

Fuck those cheapskates at TRU, it's just a virtuel pokemon, it's not like they are losing a sale by letting me download one. Oh well, I'll see if I can come up with some plan to get one.
Did you try just downloading it? I can't imagine they turn the signal off.

I asked a dude at Nintendo World today if there'd be an event for HGSS, and he said not at launch. They'll have a lower-key mini-tournament with swag, sorta like how today was the Mega Man 10 event after the game already came out. Seems like a nice idea.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
I asked a dude at Nintendo World today if there'd be an event for HGSS, and he said not at launch. They'll have a lower-key mini-tournament with swag, sorta like how today was the Mega Man 10 event after the game already came out. Seems like a nice idea.
That's weird. Remember the HUGE event they had for D/P. Now, I didn't think they would do something as big as that, but I thought maybe something bigger then a tournament.

Blu_LED said:
Did you try just downloading it? I can't imagine they turn the signal off.
No, I should have tried before approaching the staff, since it would have made the situation even more weird if I pulled out my DS after being told no :lol
I'll try it at a GameStop(where the same campaign is running) in a couple of days. They usually just have the signal on or what?

Blu_LED said:
That's weird. Remember the HUGE event they had for D/P. Now, I didn't think they would do something as big as that, but I thought maybe something bigger then a tournament.
I don't actually, since I didn't go to that. I do remember the event of sorts for Platinum where some lucky customers got a signed copy of the game WITH their purchased copy (the kid right in front of me deserved it more than me, he reminded me of myself at the age of 10). I guess they wanna keep it lower key before the kickass Wii titles hit in the coming months.

Magni

Balb said:
So I've heard that the IV system is better in HG/SS. What exactly did they improve?

IIRC, when you IV breed, if one of your Pokémon is holding one of 6 special items (go check out Serebii), then the IV associated to that item is automatically given to the egg.

Diglet said:
Just preordered Heart Gold. Can't Wait :D

My team will be Diglett x6
Maybe a Dugtrio.

Opponent sent out Pidgeotto.

You: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Anyway way to order the better version. Superior silver my ass. We got the better exclusives.

edit: Actually I'll need to work out a trade with someone who has Silver. As much as I love Kyogre, I can't use him with Typhlosion. Anyone here getting Soul Silver, and picking Feraligatr as their starter?

OMG Aero

Obsessed said:
Anyway way to order the better version. Superior silver my ass. We got the better exclusives.
Exclusives became irrelevant as soon as wi-fi trading was introduced. Not to mention that the only exclusives worth using are Growlithe/Vulpix, Gligar and Skarmory anyway.

Magni

Obsessed said:
Opponent sent out Pidgeotto.

You: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

edit: Actually I'll need to work out a trade with someone who has Silver. As much as I love Kyogre, I can't use him with Typhlosion. Anyone here getting Soul Silver, and picking Feraligatr as their starter?

Diglett uses Rock Slide.

Opponent: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

(never used a Diglett or Dugtrio since Gen I.. Rock Slide didn't even exist back then :lol)

Obsessed said:
Are you saying you wanna trade Kyogre for a Feraligatr? Then I'm more than willing to throw in some great items, a Beldum with eggs moves, and EV train the Feraligatr some.

MagniHarvald said:
Diglett uses Rock Slide.

Opponent: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

(never used a Diglett or Dugtrio since Gen I.. Rock Slide didn't even exist back then :lol)
This isn't true, Rock Slide was a give-vending-machine-drink-to-NPC TM you could get on the roof of the mall at Celadon City.

Magni

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
This isn't true, Rock Slide was a give-vending-machine-drink-to-NPC TM you could get on the roof of the mall at Celadon City.

Just went and checked it, wow, I never used it or had it used against me in two playthroughs of Red, and in one of Yellow :O

upandaway

Just started a playthrough on my friend's Red, with the purpose of making a team out of the earliest Pokemon possible.

So far I have Squirtle, Pikachu, Weedle and Nidoran male. Should be fun. I'm banking on finishing this just before HGSS come out.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
upandaway said:
Just started a playthrough on my friend's Red, with the purpose of making a team out of the earliest Pokemon possible.

So far I have Squirtle, Pikachu, Weedle and Nidoran male. Should be fun. I'm banking on finishing this just before HGSS come out.
I'm currently at Cinnabar in my FireRed run.

After countless playthroughs, I like to try and switch up my team, so this time, it is:

Squirtle, Raichu, Primeape, Farfetch'd, Growlithe, Dragonair

Metroid Killer said:
Are you saying you wanna trade Kyogre for a Feraligatr? Then I'm more than willing to throw in some great items, a Beldum with eggs moves, and EV train the Feraligatr some.

No... I was implying that I would trade Kyogre for Groudon. Kyogre is gonna be useless to me because of Typhlosion. Meanwhile Groudon would be useless to someone getting Feraligtr.

Reading my post I wasn't clear at all. Note to self, people can't read my mind.

Does HG/SS have a means of transferring Pokemon from the GBA games? I really hope so, as G/S/C was my favourite generation, so I want HG/SS to be the definitive Pokemon game. I don't want to have to go to D/P/Pt for anything unless absolutely necessary.

Wiseblade

Ben2749 said:
Does HG/SS have a means of transferring Pokemon from the GBA games? I really hope so, as G/S/C was my favourite generation, so I want HG/SS to be the definitive Pokemon game. I don't want to have to go to D/P/Pt for anything unless absolutely necessary.
There's a Pal Park in Kanto.

Top Bottom