• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Diglet

Neo Member
Am I the only one that has one pokemon that is always like 10x stronger than the rest of team.

Usually its my starter unless I find another pokemon that I adore early on in the game.

Maximus.

just grabbed the pikachu pichu from nintendo wifi, pretty nifty. Going to get heartgold for old time sakes and i didnt beat the original.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I almost pre-order Soul Silver on Amazon, then it hit me that I wouldn't get it on release day since there's no mail on Sunday. According to Amazon, I wouldn't get it until the 16th, even with release date shipping. So, it looks like I'm going to get this at Target.

You guys, this is like freakin' Console Wars, let it go already!! :lol

I wonder what they'll have to give away in the Nintendo World event, besides a cool T-shirt.

Diglet said:
Am I the only one that has one pokemon that is always like 10x stronger than the rest of team.

Usually its my starter unless I find another pokemon that I adore early on in the game.

That's how I am. My starter is always way higher and I slowly replace my team with higher level pokemon I catch. Rinse and repeat the whole way through.

Though, I'm also living the basic pokemon life. I never breed, train, or use items to increase my stats and I still favor moves that cause damage to moves like sand-attack. I've been playing since Blue and don't think I'll ever change. :lol

Firestorm

seady said:
Which version did you guys own back in the days and which one you are getting now?
Gold -> HeartGold. Why? Because I'm a winner.

Team_Canada_09.jpg

Was anyone aiming for Silver a the Olympics? I think not. They wanted Gold.

Nayishiki

Diglet said:

My Starter is always stronger than my other pokemon.

seady said:
Which version did you guys own back in the days and which one you are getting now?

Silver and i'm getting Soul Silver

I actually bought both Gold and Silver when they came out, but I used Gold as my main game and so I will also be picking up Heart Gold next week.

I haven't played through Gold/Silver since they came out, and have forgotten a lot about them, so I'm definitely looking forward to playing through them again.

Starting to get excited.

Firestorm said:

Team_Canada_09.jpg

In the real world gold isn't a fire type and silver doesn't primarily shoot high pressure water. :p

ReiGun

seady said:
I was that kid who was a complete sucker and bought every version that came out for Gen 1 and 2, but now I'm only getting Sliver.

Ondore

Firestorm said:

Team_Canada_09.jpg

Hear hear.

And by the way Silver fans, your Lugia's only a timed exclusive. Don't forget that.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
seady said:

Silver, and probably I will bite the same one next week.

Everyone knows that Lugia > Ho-oh anyway :p

EzLink

Banned
Yeahah bitches, one week.

Other than a couple trades, I'm done with platinum. Gonna take this week off from pokemon so that it is extra awesome once I finally have SS!

Can't wait. Haven't been this hyped for a video game since Brawl, and I'm pretty sure this game will surpass that one

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
bernardobri said:
Everyone knows that Lugia > Ho-oh anyway :p

Word. Lugia looks like he was designed by Space Steve Jobs. Which is, of course, Steve Jobs who lives in space. It's like Lugia came from space just to fuck your shit up. Ho-oh looks like the Elton John of Pokemon. No offense to the piano man, I love me a little Tiny Dancer, but Elton has got nothin' on Space Steve Jobs.

jrricky

Banned
Heart Gold will be in my hands in a week and some days
and will sit their in the backlog of my other games after opening it for a week and taking in the newness :/

Atleast I will get to use the pokewalker while going to the gym or working lol

ivysaur12

Banned
Ho-oh is so much more iconic. He was in the first episode of the anime!

And the color gold just goes so much better with the spirit of Johto and its more Japanese influences.

Also: Blue, Gold, Sapphire, Pearl. The only way to go.

Teknoman

Big Ass Ramp said:
Word. Lugia looks like he was designed by Space Steve Jobs. Which is, of course, Steve Jobs who lives in space. It's like Lugia came from space just to fuck your shit up. Ho-oh looks like the Elton John of Pokemon. No offense to the piano man, I love me a little Tiny Dancer, but Elton has got nothin' on Space Steve Jobs.

:lol nice.

Balb

ivysaur12 said:
Ho-oh is so much more iconic. He was in the first episode of the anime!

And the color gold just goes so much better with the spirit of Johto and its more Japanese influences.

Also: Blue, Gold, Sapphire, Pearl. The only way to go.

Wow, we went through the exact same path. I got those versions too.

trinest

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Just pre-ordered Soul Silver. This better live up to the hype or I'm holding each and every one of you personally responsible.
Its the port of the great Gen in the series, of course its going to be good.

Balb

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Just pre-ordered Soul Silver. This better live up to the hype or I'm holding each and every one of you personally responsible.

You haven't played the original g/s/c games? I'm curious as to what you'll think of this game then. A lot of people consider it the best gen, though personally I think it's the 3rd or 4th best.

Balb said:
You haven't played the original g/s/c games? I'm curious as to what you'll think of this game then. A lot of people consider it the best gen, though personally I think it's the 3rd or 4th best.
Played every gen but 2. I did later get to play through the first town or so of a Japanese cart and watched someone else catch Hoh-oh (we called him Houou and pronounced it Ho-you-you :lol). I still call the home town Wakaba town and the starters Chikorita, Waninoko and Hinoarashi.

4th gen is the best for me so far, with 1st coming a close second.

Balb said:

I don't see how the gold/silver/crystal gen could be 4th best. I thought it was agreed that Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald got that honor. I mean jeez half of the adventure was over water and the elite 4 had pokemon under level 50 because the adventure was so short! And Luvdisk!

Balb

perfectchaos007 said:
I don't see how the gold/silver/crystal gen could be 4th best. I thought it was agreed that Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald got that honor. I mean jeez half of the adventure was over water and the elite 4 had pokemon under level 50 because the adventure was so short! And Luvdisk!

My personal rankings would be:

Gen 1 (FR/LG preferred)
Gen 3 (Emerald)
then Gen 2/4

Of course, I'm only ranking the games based on the adventure, and not stuff like battling. Otherwise I'd rate gen 4 as the highest.

I really like gen 3. Gen 2 brought on a ton of new ideas, but a lot of them weren't very fleshed out until gens 3 and 4. I can understand why so many people love it though. It's the last gen before the Pokemon craze died.

I could go into further detail, but yeah, I'd definitely rate emerald over g/s/c. The diving part did suck near the end, though. I'll admit that.

With that being said, I love all the Pokemon games, so it doesn't really matter how I rank them. They're all great.

Balb said:
My personal rankings would be:

Gen 1 (FR/LG preferred)
Gen 3 (Emerald)
then Gen 2/4

Of course, I'm only ranking the games based on the adventure, and not stuff like battling. Otherwise I'd rate gen 4 as the highest.

I really like gen 3. Gen 2 brought on a ton of new ideas, but a lot of them weren't very fleshed out until gens 3 and 4. I can understand why so many people love it though. It's the last gen before the Pokemon craze died.

I could go into further detail, but yeah, I'd definitely rate emerald over g/s/c. The diving part did suck near the end, though. I'll admit that.

With that being said, I love all the Pokemon games, so it doesn't really matter how I rank them. They're all great.
goddamn are you crazy foo

GSC = DPP > FR/LG > RSE

RBY don't hold up at all

Balb

Aaron Strife said:
goddamn are you crazy foo

GSC = DPP > FR/LG > RSE

RBY don't hold up at all

Have you tried FR/LG? They're great remakes, and fixed just about everything that was wrong with r/b.

perfectchaos007 said:
I went from Gen 1 straight on through to Gen 3 and my experience was thus:

- Awesome! A new adventure!
- New starters! I choose the chicken!
- Hunt hunt hunt... Ralts, Poochyena, Zigzagoon...
- OH HEY SOMETHING INTERESTING
- It's a Surskit! It's Water/Bug! I'm going to use it
- Man... Surskit has a bit of a glass jaw. Maybe it learns some awesome moves or evolves into something awesome?
- YES SURSKIT IS EVOLVING OMGZ
- Bug/Flying? WTF is this sh*t? Into the box you go!
- That Milotic just kicked my arse. I wonder how you get it? It must evolve from Feebas.
- Fish, fish, fish for Feebas
- FOUND A FEEBAS
- WHY WON'T THIS THING EVOLVE? WHERE'S THAT FAQ?
- I've gotten to the ocean. I have to surf? I hate surfing.
- Surf surf surf
- Surf surf surf
- Surf surf surf
- Surf surf surf
- Surf surf surf
- Surf surf surf
- Surf surf surf
- Surf surf surf
- Dive dive dive
- Dive dive dive
- Dive dive dive
- Dive dive dive
- Story sequence
- Elite 4
- Fin.

So how does one go about getting both Palkia, Dialga and Giratina(sp? fucking weird names)

You get 1(respectively) in Pearl, Diamon and Platinum, and you can choose 1 out of 3 in HG/SS if you have Arceus.

Are there ways to get 2 out 3 in one game? What if you bring several Arceus to HG/SS?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Metroid Killer said:
So how does one go about getting both Palkia, Dialga and Giratina(sp? fucking weird names)

You get 1(respectively) in Pearl, Diamon and Platinum, and you can choose 1 out of 3 in HG/SS if you have Arceus.

Are there ways to get 2 out 3 in one game? What if you bring several Arceus to HG/SS?
Diamond is missing Palkia. Pearl is missing Dialga. Platinum has all three.

Sixfortyfive said:
Diamond is missing Palkia. Pearl is missing Dialga. Platinum has all three.
Oh Ok, so Giratina is exactly like Rayquaza being available in all 3 versions. For some reason I thought that Giratina was a new pokemon introduced at the launch of platinum since I didn't follow pokemon that close at the time. Thanks for the answer.

vid

MidnightScott said:
It never died, what have you been smoking?

This. It's been about twelve years since Red and Blue were released in the US, and the craze has never died. It's had it's ebb and flow, but it has yet to die... unlike Digmon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and all of the other pretenders which have quickly come and gone.

I work at a tech and game store, and we found THIS posted on the "looking for group" cork board.

pokemans.jpg

We felt it was awesome enough to post behind the counter for a while.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I have not played a pokemon game seriously since yellow and have decided to pick one of them up to play on the way home from the Muse concert. My friend is going with gold because he claims it is better, but he is wrong about almost everything so I am inclined to go with Silver but I don't know. This is like Sophies Choice ;_;

Mr. Sam

I'll be getting SoulSilver as my friend was all, "Oh, they all be gettin' SoulSilver so I gon' be gettin' HeartGold" and so I was all, "Yeah, so I be gettin' SoulSilver 'cos you got HeartGold." True story. My Feraligatr will rip its foes asunder.

joelseph

I am struggling to find a wireless network that has the right security for me to do this mystery gift! If I take my DSi to Gamestop to get the Jirachi could I also connect and get the shiny pichu?

Top Bottom