• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Wiseblade

Mr. Sam said:
I'll be getting SoulSilver as my friend was all, "Oh, they all be gettin' SoulSilver so I gon' be gettin' HeartGold" and so I was all, "Yeah, so I be gettin' SoulSilver 'cos you got HeartGold." True story. My Feraligatr will rip its foes asunder.

A similar thing happened with a friend of mine.

My avatar will wall you all day, BTW. :D

joelseph said:
I am struggling to find a wireless network that has the right security for me to do this mystery gift! If I take my DSi to Gamestop to get the Jirachi could I also connect and get the shiny pichu?
Can't you reconifgure the router you have? That's what I did.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I went from Gen 1 straight on through to Gen 3 and my experience was thus:

- Awesome! A new adventure!
- New starters! I choose the chicken!
- Hunt hunt hunt... Ralts, Poochyena, Zigzagoon...
- OH HEY SOMETHING INTERESTING
- It's a Surskit! It's Water/Bug! I'm going to use it
- Man... Surskit has a bit of a glass jaw. Maybe it learns some awesome moves or evolves into something awesome?
- YES SURSKIT IS EVOLVING OMGZ
- Bug/Flying? WTF is this sh*t? Into the box you go!
- That Milotic just kicked my arse. I wonder how you get it? It must evolve from Feebas.
- Fish, fish, fish for Feebas
- FOUND A FEEBAS
- WHY WON'T THIS THING EVOLVE? WHERE'S THAT FAQ?
- I've gotten to the ocean. I have to surf? I hate surfing.
- Surf surf surf
- Surf surf surf
- Surf surf surf
- Surf surf surf
- Surf surf surf
- Surf surf surf
- Surf surf surf
- Surf surf surf
- Dive dive dive
- Dive dive dive
- Dive dive dive
- Dive dive dive
- Story sequence
- Elite 4
- Fin.

Oh man, Ruby and Sapphire were some of my most disappointing games ever. They're still definitely playable, because it's Pokemon and all, but after the first two generations... Talk about a letdown. Hoenn was a shitty map, and I hated pretty much all the new Pokemon.

D/P were better in both regards, but still a far cry from the first two generations.

EzLink

Banned
Hype reaching critical mass. I still can't believe these are almost here! This is something I posted earlier in the thread:

EzLink said:
So I figured out that the Japanese will only have had to wait about 4 months for these games since they were announced (sometime in May) and we are going to have to wait for, AT EARLIEST, 10 months... meaning we still have 6 months of waiting left (at least)... meaning our wait isn't even half over from when these were announced :(

Insane how quickly it went

Kyzer

Banned
The thing about Gen 3 was that Ruby/Sapphire is still to this day the only versions that required me to make cuts on my team because there were so many pokemon to choose from.

Like Aron, Ralts, Makuhita, Electrike, Taillow, Wingull. I want them all on a playthrough.

Balb

Ben2749 said:
Oh man, Ruby and Sapphire were some of my most disappointing games ever. They're still definitely playable, because it's Pokemon and all, but after the first two generations... Talk about a letdown. Hoenn was a shitty map, and I hated pretty much all the new Pokemon.

D/P were better in both regards, but still a far cry from the first two generations.

For the most part, I'd take the gen 3 pokemon over the gen 2 pokemon. Yeah, you have some great ones like crobat, blissey, tyranitar and forretress, but you also have some of the worst beginning pokemon ever (hoothoot, spinarak, sentret, ledyba).

Not to mention, I think gen 2 has the least interesting starters by far, including the worst starter in pokemon history (cyndaquil, and I bet most of you can't even remember its first evolution. That's how forgettable it is). I have a soft spot for chikorita, but it's almost worthless in-game, since it's only useful when bred.

Don't want to make it sound like I hate g/s though. I just don't think it's the best gen.

ryan-ts

Soul Silver has made my life meaningful, whats Heart Gold done? Nothing, thats what.

Balb said:
Not to mention, I think gen 2 has the least interesting starters by far, including the worst starter in pokemon history (cyndaquil, and I bet most of you can't even remember its first evolution. That's how forgettable it is). I have a soft spot for chikorita, but it's almost worthless in-game, since it's only useful when bred.

Quilava, fool.

Gen 3 is so boring to play that it doesn't matter what Pokemon are in the game, going through the world itself is no fun at all. Gen 2 on the other hand is awesome to play through, hell just seeing that dude toss a boulder, whats his name...

Bentendo

Does it bother anyone else that Lugia's wings look like hands? Seriously, that's the only reason I'm buying HeartGold (well, that and the fact that you can name Ho-oh Helmaroc and be totally rad, while if you'd name your Lugia that you would look like a fool).

survivor

Banned
Just got my Pichu yesterday with my Platinum. Is there a point in using Diamond to get another Pichu or not?

Can't really wait till Sunday. Going tomorrow to pick up FFXIII and I will probably preorder Soul Silver there.

Balb

survivor said:
Just got my Pichu yesterday with my Platinum. Is there a point in using Diamond to get another Pichu or not?

Can't really wait till Sunday. Going tomorrow to pick up FFXIII and I will probably preorder Soul Silver there.

I'd say it's worth the 20 second hassle. If nothing else, you can trade it later.

darthbob

Balb said:

Quilava

Also, unless you play by Smogon, it's not like Chikorita is useless.

Bentendo

As someone who never played the gen 2 games (only generation I skipped), can someone tell me which starter I should choose? Other information:

*I'm getting HeartGold
*I have all of fourth generation starters.

I know I'm not going to get Chikorita, one because I know it's supposed to suck and two Turtwig was my main Pokémon during the fourth generation and I want a non-grass type. I'm leaning towards water type because of Ho-Oh, but I'm not sure which to choose. It's not like it will matter in the long run since I already have a ton of fire, grass, and water types in Diamond and Platinum.

Balb

darthbob said:
Quilava

Also, unless you play by Smogon, it's not like Chikorita is useless.

I don't know what its current learnset is, but back in g/s, it learned razor leaf at like level 8, then never learned anything good past that. Maybe body slam. One of its final moves was what, Safeguard? What good does that move do you in-game? Doesn't even learn leech seed unless you breed.

As someone who never played the gen 2 games (only generation I skipped), can someone tell me which starter I should choose? Other information:

*I'm getting HeartGold
*I have all of fourth generation starters.

I know I'm not going to get Chikorita, one because I know it's supposed to suck and two Turtwig was my main Pokémon during the fourth generation and I want a non-grass type. I'm leaning towards water type because of Ho-Oh, but I'm not sure which to choose. It's not like it will matter in the long run since I already have a ton of fire, grass, and water types in Diamond and Platinum.

I'd go with totodile. It can take hits and deal damage, and its nice that you can give it an HM without feeling bad (waterfall).

darthbob

Balb said:
I don't know what its current learnset is, but back in g/s, it learned razor leaf at like level 8, then never learned anything good past that. Maybe body slam. One of its final moves was what, Safeguard? What good does that move do you in-game?

I'll admit, this looks pretty damn weak. However, I gave my Meganium Gigadrain and another TM later in the game too. So while Chikorita's learnset is fairly weak in Gen II, it's still not what I'd call useless.

Balb said:
For the most part, I'd take the gen 3 pokemon over the gen 2 pokemon. Yeah, you have some great ones like crobat, blissey, tyranitar and forretress, but you also have some of the worst beginning pokemon ever (hoothoot, spinarak, sentret, ledyba).

Don't want to make it sound like I hate g/s though. I just don't think it's the best gen.

The Cyndaquil line definitely could have used a bit more originality, as each evolution just makes it bigger and angrier. But Typhlosion was still a good Pokemon; one of the few good pure Fire types. I don't think I actually raised a Chikorita, but pure Grass is also rare. The Totodile evolution line is the shit though; anybody who says different is just wrong. Especially now that Feraligatr can take advantage of both STAB and his high attack stat at once.

To be honest, the only generation in which I loved all of the starters and their evolutions was R/B/Y.

Balb

Ben2749 said:
The Cyndaquil line definitely could have used a bit more originality, as each evolution just makes it bigger and angrier. But Typhlosion was still a good Pokemon; one of the few good pure Fire types. I don't think I actually raised a Chikorita, but pure Grass is also rare. The Totodile evolution line is the shit though; anybody who says different is just wrong. Especially now that Feraligatr can take advantage of both STAB and his high attack stat at once.

To be honest, the only generation in which I loved all of the starters and their evolutions was R/B/Y.

Yeah, you can't deny that gen 4 helped out Feraligatr a ton. Not a top tier battler, but still way better. Back in g/s, though, you felt like you weren't able to take advantage of its strengths, kind of like Gyarados before gen 3.

I like all the starters personally, except cyndaquil and turtwig.

edit: and torchic

EzLink

Banned
Thanks to Metroid Killer for being a badass and trading me a Growlithe! And Shiggie for trading me a manaphy a couple weeks ago

GAFers are the best

Delio

Balb said:

While i dont think G/S are the best games. Cyndaquil is totally not forgettable D: everyone remembers the Flamethrower/Thunderpunch combo he used to boast back then. (sadly doesnt work as well now) And i bred a nightshade hoothoot just for the beginning ^_^.

darthbob said:
>_>

Really...?
Wait, what's wrong with Frenzy Plant? It is the strongest Grass attack power-wise, so you may need to rest the next turn, but unless you play smogon levels, it's fine imo.

EzLink said:
Thanks to Metroid Killer for being a badass and trading me a Growlithe! And Shiggie for trading me a manaphy a couple weeks ago

GAFers are the best
Thanks to you too. Since getting HeartGold I've trade quite a lot with users in this thread and you have all been very kind and pretty much everytime giving me more than I asked for! Good community!

Balb

Metroid Killer said:
Wait, what's wrong with Frenzy Plant? It is the strongest Grass attack power-wise, so you may need to rest the next turn, but unless you play smogon levels, it's fine imo.

Thanks to you too. Since getting HeartGold I've trade quite a lot with users in this thread and you have all been very kind and pretty much everytime giving me more than I asked for! Good community!

I don't like hyper beam-esque moves in general. HB was alright in r/b but I don't like missing a turn. Not to mention, the city you're talking about is the 8th badge city, iirc.

Also, if you have some Pokemon I'm missing, I'd be glad to trade with you. I only need around 100 or so to complete my Pokedex, so every Pokemon counts.

Balb said:
I don't like hyper beam-esque moves in general. HB was alright in r/b but I don't like missing a turn. Not to mention, the city you're talking about is the 8th badge city, iirc.

Also, if you have some Pokemon I'm missing, I'd be glad to trade with you. I only need around 100 or so to complete my Pokedex, so every Pokemon counts.
I don't like missing a turn either and yes 8th badge is late, but it's better than nothing ;-)

I only have 214 myself, but I have gotten access to some uncommon ones via pokewalker(which I have used a loooooot). What are you missing that you are not going to get any day soon?

darthbob

Metroid Killer said:
I don't like missing a turn either and yes 8th badge is late, but it's better than nothing ;-)

I only have 214 myself, but I have gotten access to some uncommon ones via pokewalker(which I have used a loooooot). What are you missing that you are not going to get any day soon?

If you don't like missing a turn, then why support Plant Frenzy?

SlickVic

11cebz9.jpg

Saw this on another forum. Did not realize how much they butchered the main character in this game.

I think the chick in this game looks equally ridiculous so I'll still have to go with this guy but seriously, there was no need to make these changes. They changed a badass looking kid into a dime-a-dozen hipster.

darthbob

SlickVic said:
Saw this on another forum. Did not realize how much they butchered the main character in this game.

Still makes me cringe. At least I don't hafta look at that terrible character look at all times.

It just looks like Sugimori got lazy, if he even did draw that.

EzLink

Banned
I like the new character design better. Also he is wearing ankle socks. Duh

EDIT: Actually I do like the old one better, I just don't see the new design to be as horrendous as that picture makes it out to be

Balb

SlickVic said:
11cebz9.jpg

I think the chick in this game looks equally ridiculous so I'll still have to go with this guy but seriously, there was no need to make these changes. They changed a badass looking kid into a dime-a-dozen hipster.

Let's be fair though...you only see the main character for like 3 seconds, and that's in the beginning when you're being introduced to the professor.

Am I the only Pokénerd picking up both versions? :lol

I always pick up both versions. I do this so that I have one version to take seriously (build a competitive team, breed, try to catch as many as I care to) and one to start over with a new starter and a new team whenever I want.

darthbob

TenshiOni said:

I always pick up both versions. I do this so that I have one version to take seriously (build a competitive team, breed, try to catch as many as I care to) and one to start over with a new starter and a new team whenever I want.

Getting an Arceus figurine?

SlickVic

EzLink said:
I like the new character design better. Also he is wearing ankle socks. Duh

EDIT: Actually I do like the old one better, I just don't see the new design to be as horrendous as that picture makes it out to be

Oh I'm not seriously worked up about it (you barely see the character this close in-game), I just find the changes a bit amusing. Before his clothing looked pretty comfortable, now it's all this tight fitting stuff.

Balb

TenshiOni said:

I wish I could do this, but I don't think I could justify spending 80 on the same adventure. Maybe I'll pick up Soul Silver down the line if/when it's on sale.

darthbob said:
Getting an Arceus figurine?
Why do I get something like that for getting both from a certain retailer? I'm picking up both from different retailers if so, unfortunately.

Already have Heart Gold pre-ordered at the local Gamestop and I'm planning on ordering Soul Silver off of Amazon so that I can save $15 (it's $35 there + pre-ordering Final Fantasy XIII off of Amazon gives a $10 discount on the next game-related purchase).

ReiGun

MagniHarvald said:
Gen IV came out four years ago..
I was more referring to the fact that the remakes are coming out the same year as this new generation, and considering how big they are, the idea of getting Gen 5 proper, like, next year is crazy to me. Of course, that's just my little hang up.

Mr. Sam

TenshiOni said:

That's-- that's... fucking genius.

Magni

ReiGun said:
I was more referring to the fact that the remakes are coming out the same year as this new generation, and considering how big they are, the idea of getting Gen 5 proper, like, next year is crazy to me. Of course, that's just my little hang up.

The remakes came out last year...

(Or Gen V is coming next year if you're talking outside of Japan :lol )

SlickVic

darthbob said:
I've got Heart Gold in my Amazon account for $34.99 USD.

Who the heck are you paying?

Amazon FTW. Just hope they keep that price until I get my $10 GoWIII credit, then I can get it for $24.99.

SaintZ

Yay, Pikachu-colored Pichu get!

BTW, what are the chances of getting Jirachi through Wi-Fi too? I really want one but I have take a bus and make an 8 hour trip to the store that's giving them out on weekend to get it and it would be a lot easier just to wait instead...

Axis

anyone have a growlithe and/or elekid they don't mind trading? i don't have the gba games to catch em =/ feel free to PM me if so

Top Bottom