• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

upandaway

upandaway said:
Can anyone help me here? Something is going fuck wrong with my Platinum.

Just now, I put my only Exp. Share (I say only so you will see it's not like my bag was full) on a guy, I trained the guy, I took the Exp. Share off him. Exp. Share is not in the bag anymore. It's not on the Pokemon anymore. It's just gone.

Happened to me before with a bunch of held items. At some point I was weary to save before taking the item off, I saw it disappeared again so I deleted an item from the bag then got it off the Pokemon safely. This made me think the game just didn't tell me the bag was full, so I deleted any and all items I didn't need (about 10), but then this happens with the Exp. Share.

What kind of bullshit is this?
Well I figured I can transfer items between Pokemon without retracting to the bag using the Computer. It's still really weird and annoying.

Wiseblade

upandaway said:
Can anyone help me here? Something is going fuck wrong with my Platinum.

Just now, I put my only Exp. Share (I say only so you will see it's not like my bag was full) on a guy, I trained the guy, I took the Exp. Share off him. Exp. Share is not in the bag anymore. It's not on the Pokemon anymore. It's just gone.

Happened to me before with a bunch of held items. At some point I was weary to save before taking the item off, I saw it disappeared again so I deleted an item from the bag then got it off the Pokemon safely. This made me think the game just didn't tell me the bag was full, so I deleted any and all items I didn't need (about 10), but then this happens with the Exp. Share.

What kind of bullshit is this?
I've never heard of anything like this before. I don't even think the bag can get full. Does this happen with all of the pockets or just the main one? Have you tried looking at other pockets and then moving back? It might be a corrupted save. I'm assuming you've tried soft resetting, though.

upandaway

So far it happens only with the Item Pocket, and only with certain items. I could get the Sooth Bell (after deleting an item I don't know what the hell) into the bag, but couldn't the Exp. Share, and I can buy Max Repels fine while Super Repels just waste my money. Worth noting that it's ALWAYS that way with the Exp. Shares and Super Repels as far as I checked, regardless of soft resets and hard resets.

Guess something happened to my game then. That sucks.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The only time I've ever encountered something remotely like that bug is via Action Replay quirks. For example, there was an old code I used to use to check IVs that altered the number of items in my bag. The quantity of the first TM in my bag would be my HP IV, the second TM would be the Atk IV, and so on. So, if my Pokemon's IVs were 31/31/12/31/7/19, then my TM pocket would look like this:

TM01 x31 (HP)
TM02 x31 (ATK)
TM03 x12 (DEF)
TM04 x31 (SPEED)
TM05 x7 (SPATK)
TM06 x19 (SPDEF)
TM07 x2
TM08 x3
...and so on, with the remaining TMs in the bag having an unmodified quantity.

Things would fuck up a bit of one of the IVs in question was zero, though. It would truncate the item list at that point and not display the remaining items in the bag. So, if the previous example had a DEF IV of zero instead of 12, my TM pocket would look like this:

TM01 x31
TM02 x31
End of list.

The remaining items after TM03 would still be there (verified after changing TM03's quantity to a non-zero number), but they would not be listed in the inventory until I fixed TM03.

Not sure if something similar has happened to your game, where there is an item technically listed in your front pocket but accompanied by a quantity of zero.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Anyone willing to grab me a pichu via wifi if they have an extra copy of diamond/pearl? I don't know how I'll get one otherwise since I wont have a DS till I pick up Silver. :lol

upandaway

If it's really something similar, I'm cool if I start a new save, right?

If so that's what I might do. Problem is transferring 300 Pokemon to a new game.

Sixfortyfive

upandaway said:
If it's really something similar, I'm cool if I start a new save, right?

If so that's what I might do. Problem is transferring 300 Pokemon to a new game.
What I would do to test it is this:

- Take an item from your first pocket that you only have 1 of, and attach it to a Pokemon.
- Remove the item from the Pokemon.

If that item shows back up at the bottom of your item list (where it's supposed to be), then it's probably a different kind of bug. If it vanishes, then I'd say that it is this bug (as this item would be placed after the glitched item's position on the list, and that would be why it's not showing). You might be able to remedy it by obtaining one of every type of first-pocket item in the game, as it would possibly bump the problem item's count back up to 1.

EzLink

Banned
Does anyone kow if it is possible to not have your pokemon follow you outside the pokeball? I don't think I would even use that feature if it were in there, but I was talking with a friend about it last night and he said he wished it were an option

Shiggie

Door2Dawn said:
How do I get this to work?
Mystery Gift.

Go to the Jubilife TV Station in Jubilife City
Go to the 3rd floor.
Talk to the man in the lower room (the guy on the left).
The first two words you tell him are "everyone" and "happy"
The second two words you tell him are "Wi-Fi" and "Connection."
Finally, you will be able to access Mystery Gift in the Main Menu.

Shiggie

EzLink said:
Does anyone kow if it is possible to not have your pokemon follow you outside the pokeball? I don't think I would even use that feature if it were in there, but I was talking with a friend about it last night and he said he wished it were an option
why? Would he be embarrassed having pokemon following him around in Gamestop?

mjc

If I bought a copy of Platinum today and started playing it, how long would it take me to get to a point where I could get access to the special Pichu over Wi-fi? I'm interested in getting one but I fear nobody will want to trade it away (if thats even possible) once SS/HG come out.

mjc said:
If I bought a copy of Platinum today and started playing it, how long would it take me to get to a point where I could get access to the special Pichu over Wi-fi?

I presume you'll be able to pick it up as soon as you get to the first Pokemart.

CoolS

Wiseblade said:
you could do it in a single day. All you have to do is reach the second town.
And then do this:

Mystery Gift.

Go to the Jubilife TV Station in Jubilife City
Go to the 3rd floor.
Talk to the man in the lower room (the guy on the left).
The first two words you tell him are "everyone" and "happy"
The second two words you tell him are "Wi-Fi" and "Connection."
Finally, you will be able to access Mystery Gift in the Main Menu

Bentendo

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a clown standing in front of the building where you get Mystery Gift until after you complete the first one or two Gym Leaders? If so it may take a bit longer than 10-20 minutes (maybe a couple hours) but it's worth it.

The title is all wrong. HG has better boxart, and has Caterpie. Silver has stupid weedle. Does weedle have a ridiculously accurate stun spore/sleep powder? I didn't think so.

Guardian Bob said:
I kind of want this, but I kind of want to wait for the "crystal" edition. Do you think they'll come out with a third?
I doubt it. The 3rd version is always to improve the last 2. The improvements in the crystal version are probably all included in the DS version.

Sixfortyfive

Guardian Bob said:
I kind of want this, but I kind of want to wait for the "crystal" edition. Do you think they'll come out with a third?
Doubtful, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Magni

Guardian Bob said:

Well, we never got "ThunderYellow" with the Gen I->III remakes, and Gen V is coming out this year in Japan, so I doubt we'll see "BrainCrystal" :lol

ReiGun

MagniHarvald said:
Well, we never got "ThunderYellow" with the Gen I->III remakes, and Gen V is coming out this year in Japan, so I doubt we'll see "BrainCrystal" :lol
Wait wait wait, Gen V is this year? Geez, slow down Nintendo.

Yeah, I guess Fire Red and Leaf Green didn't get a third, and they were remakes too.

I just got the shiny Pichu... and something as simple as that got me hooked again. :lol

On Game's website it says

To receive your download code for Alpha Pokémon Arceus for your Pokédex just bring along a copy of Pokémon Diamond, Pokémon Pearl or Pokémon Platinum and a DS console. Without this we are unable to provide a code. No codes will be provided by email. One code per person. Any codes lost or misplaced will not be replaced.

Is that how it works? Codes? I thought I could just go there and auto-get it over wifi! Seems like a lot of effort and queuing now

Wiseblade

I still really with they'd waited just another year before releasing this. It's a little demoralizing knowing that after playing Gen IV for the third time in four years two weeks from now, I'll be starting the cycle all over again this time next year.

Magni

Wiseblade said:
I still really with they'd waited just another year before releasing this. It's a little demoralizing knowing that after playing Gen IV for the third time in four years two weeks from now, I'll be starting the cycle all over again this time next year.

I'm waiting for more details to come regarding Gen V, but if it follows the traditional two-game formula, I'll probably wait a year to see if any details concerning a third game will come out.

Magni

Sixfortyfive said:
You say this as if no games had been released since Diamond/Pearl.

Hmm, the traditional third game, and then the Gen II remakes. From a pure gameplay point, not much has changed since 2006. The Gen II remakes have had little touches, like making IV breeding less random, but other than small stuff like that it's still the same game, the same Pokemon engine underneath.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I will get Silver for the simple principle that it represent awesome Lugia and not that asshole Ho-oh.

Magni

Zmart said:
I just reserved my silver copy and i got a diamond version for free :D

just waiting to get nostalgia again <3

What? Where? Good choice on both, Silver > Gold and Diamond > Pearl ;-)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
toythatkills said:
On Game's website it says

Is that how it works? Codes? I thought I could just go there and auto-get it over wifi! Seems like a lot of effort and queuing now

Where does it say that? At the Shaymin event I just stood outside the shop, searched for the gift via WiFi. That was it. I don't know how a code system would even work with the existing DS games. Maybe that's just some terms and conditions jargon, or I guess they could be doing it via an actual trade, instead of a Mystery Gift, and the code is just a GAME thing. Weird, though.

Magni

Lkr said:
How do you guys deal with NWFC? I would kill myself if I had a WEP password on my router

Either get a DSi, or set up your router to be WEP, but MAC-locked. No other choice really..

Dogenzaka

Banned
MagniHarvald said:
Either get a DSi, or set up your router to be WEP, but MAC-locked. No other choice really..

DSi doesn't fix anything. It's WPA security doesn't work with DS games that didn't support it. Pokemon has never supported WPA, so the DSi woudn't change that.

Sixfortyfive

Lkr said:
How do you guys deal with NWFC? I would kill myself if I had a WEP password on my router
MAC filter, SSID broadcast disabled, DHCP auto-assignment disabled. I don't often bother with password security for wireless.

Top Bottom