• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

47-20618-84052

Double battle against my brother, Flat, no restrictions. I had a partially-complete Rain Dance team (only two Pokes had RD and my Snorlax had no synergy) but I still pulled out a win. It helped that he didn't know Ludicolo was Grass/Water (his Empoleon used all his attacks before finding out Drill Peck was super-effective) and his Typholosion had Choice Specs (he used Sunny Day then conceded). :lol

I'm looking for a Spheal and a Shroomish. Type and level doesn't matter since I'm going to use them for breeding. I know you can get them with the Safari Zone but I'm too impatient to wait for the NPC guy to give me new blocks.

I can try to get you any Pokemon from Pearl, or LeafGreen, or Soulsilver in return. I've also got a shit ton of Explorer Kit items like damp rocks and smooth stones. So just name some stuff you'd like in return for these Pokemon and I'll see what I've got.

I also want to know if there's a website or forum where I can trade legit alternate color/shiny Pokemon. I want to trade my Shiny Pikachu for something cooler.

variance

I'm pretty new to the Pokemon team-building scene but I think I've been making some good progress. I could really some help with a couple TMs and maybe a Pokemon or two that I'm beating my head against the wall trying to get. I could really use:
Energy Ball
Thunderbolt
Porygon
Ice Beam
Earthquake
any of the EV berries

I could offer an Impish Skarmory with Brave Bird and Whirlwind in exchange, or maybe I might have something else you'd be interested in. I can get any type of evolution stone, or could also breed some Gible, Bronzor, Magby, Duskull, Chickorita or whatever else as well; not totally sure what is/isn't in demand lol.

SuperAngelo64 said:
I'm looking for a Spheal and a Shroomish. Type and level doesn't matter since I'm going to use them for breeding. I know you can get them with the Safari Zone but I'm too impatient to wait for the NPC guy to give me new blocks.

I can try to get you any Pokemon from Pearl, or LeafGreen, or Soulsilver in return. I've also got a shit ton of Explorer Kit items like damp rocks and smooth stones. So just name some stuff you'd like in return for these Pokemon and I'll see what I've got.

I also want to know if there's a website or forum where I can trade legit alternate color/shiny Pokemon. I want to trade my Shiny Pikachu for something cooler.

I've got a Shroomish and Spheal I could trade you, do you have a Turtwig, Drifloon or Finneon on your Pearl cart?

rpgfan16k

Hey all,

is there anyway to get wish, heal bell, AND perish song on Wigglytuff via breeding? After checking serebii, et al I can't find a way to teach it all of those moves simultaneously. There's nothing else that can know both wish AND perish song except Jynx, which can't breed with Wigglytuff. So what can I do?

Shroomish can be found by headbutting trees in the Viridian Forest.

As for the Wigglytuff, looks like Heal Bell is a tutor move. Getting Wish and Perish Song will require serious chain breeding. Igglybuff gets Perish Song from Marill/Azumarill, and Wish from Togetic/Togekiss.

Negator

So GAF, I've run into a conundrum.

My friends are all into using the Action Replay to build their teams, and now I feel like I'm at a severe disadvantage. What is the general consensus regarding the use of action replay? Frowned upon?

Right now I'm thinking I'd mainly use it to get all the troublesome TMs that you need a ton of (Looking at you, Earthquake, Thunderbolt) and max out the battle points for making sure my pokemon have at least the moves they need. But I'm sure this is just a slippery slope and I'll end up just ARing my whole team.

I'd like to avoid cheating, but then again I'd like to play with my friends with some equal footing. What do?

Azure Phoenix said:
I've got a Shroomish and Spheal I could trade you, do you have a Turtwig, Drifloon or Finneon on your Pearl cart?

Do you care about their nature types or anything like that? If not I can get you all of those as level 1 (or eggs if you'd like).

Unfortunately I just realized that my sister took my DS Phat charger over the weekend and is now 2 hours away, so I'll need to go out tonight or tomorrow to pick up a new one :\

Negator said:
My friends are all into using the Action Replay to build their teams, and now I feel like I'm at a severe disadvantage. What is the general consensus regarding the use of action replay? Frowned upon?

I just wouldn't play them them and find a good online community. The thing is it completely ruins a game like Pokemon where a big chunk of the game revolves around interaction with other real people in order to get 'exactly what you want'. I can't speak for everyone but I certainly frown upon using AR.

I too used to use AR, but it was at a time when I didn't really know anyone else that played Pokemon and never expected to battle or trade with anyone else. But now we've got Wi-Fi, cable-less battles, Downloadable Events, etc. I think for me I started really being against cheating once the games went online and Nintendo started banning friend codes that cheat over the GTS. However, I'm also someone who loves to see everyone on equal grounds, so for me things like the auto-Lvl.100 battles were a Godsend.

Milchmonster said:
Can someone give me a Mudkip? I can give you pretty much every other Pokemon.

I can give you one unless you're trolling :p. If you really can give 'any other' I'd like a Feebas.

SuperAngelo64 said:
Do you care about their nature types or anything like that? If not I can get you all of those as level 1 (or eggs if you'd like).

Unfortunately I just realized that my sister took my DS Phat charger over the weekend and is now 2 hours away, so I'll need to go out tonight or tomorrow to pick up a new one :\

Not bothered at all, I prefer to nickname my Pokemon so I breed everything obtained in trades. Send me a message whenever you have got your charger back and are able to trade, since I'm in the UK I might need to arrange a time to be online anyway depending on what timezone you are in.

Finalow

SuperAngelo64 said:

I just wouldn't play them them and find a good online community. The thing is it completely ruins a game like Pokemon where a big chunk of the game revolves around interaction with other real people in order to get 'exactly what you want'. I can't speak for everyone but I certainly frown upon using AR.

I too used to use AR, but it was at a time when I didn't really know anyone else that played Pokemon and never expected to battle or trade with anyone else. But now we've got Wi-Fi, cable-less battles, Downloadable Events, etc. I think for me I started really being against cheating once the games went online and Nintendo started banning friend codes that cheat over the GTS. However, I'm also someone who loves to see everyone on equal grounds, so for me things like the auto-Lvl.100 battles were a Godsend.

I can give you one unless you're trolling :p. If you really can give 'any other' I'd like a Feebas.
I can give you a feebas for MT roost and sword dance :p

finalozzo said:
I can give you a feebas for MT roost and sword dance :p

I have Roost, but I'll be damned if I'm going to play that Voltorb Flip shit for Swords Dance :lol

I can't believe they took away the option to buy coins in the NA/EU versions.

Probably not the best place to ask, but does anyone know if there are any clone glitches or whatever in HG/SS? I've absolutely had enough of these legendary Pokemon now and just want to clone my Master Ball to catch all of them.

I'm trying to get Lt. Surge's phone number, but no, can't do that until I catch Zapdos. And because Game Freak has gone overkill and turned the catch rates down to virtually nothing it's impossible to catch any legendary without using a Master Ball (already had to use a hacked Master Ball to catch Ho-Oh, because I couldn't progress in the story and had spent days failing to catch it).

OMG Aero

Azure Phoenix said:
Probably not the best place to ask, but does anyone know if there are any clone glitches or whatever in HG/SS? I've absolutely had enough of these legendary Pokemon now and just want to clone my Master Ball to catch all of them.

I'm trying to get Lt. Surge's phone number, but no, can't do that until I catch Zapdos. And because Game Freak has gone overkill and turned the catch rates down to virtually nothing it's impossible to catch any legendary without using a Master Ball (already had to use a hacked Master Ball to catch Ho-Oh, because I couldn't progress in the story and had spent days failing to catch it).
Just put Zapdos to sleep at night and use dusk balls.

Andrex said:
Spore
False Swipe
Dusk Ball (at night, obviously)

Rinse, repeat, caught.

Doesn't work. I'm well aware of the strategy, but it's still pointless because their catch rates are so pathetically low. I was stuck on Ho-Oh for three days, every single time getting it to 1HP, asleep and throwing Dusk Balls and only twice out of 100+ balls did it get further than the first shake.

Thought you guys might like this, I've certainly thought about it enough times :lol

comic153.png

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Azure Phoenix said:
Doesn't work. I'm well aware of the strategy, but it's still pointless because their catch rates are so pathetically low. I was stuck on Ho-Oh for three days, every single time getting it to 1HP, asleep and throwing Dusk Balls and only twice out of 100+ balls did it get further than the first shake.
The catch rates have been the same since at least Ruby & Saphire. Maybe longer.

The only time I come close to using 100+ balls on a single legendary is when I'm being retarded about my Pokeball selection and use things that are no more effective than a normal Pokeball.

upandaway

Azure Phoenix said:
Just put the DS next to you, and mash A while you surf GAF or something. Even if it takes 1000 dusk balls, you'll catch it with no frustration.

Azure Phoenix said:

Honestly, all I did was get them to around 5%, Thunder Wave, and then I bought (literally) about 50 dusk balls.

Got a snack, got a Youtube playlist going, and just kept tossing until I ran out.

My best was Lugia in about 10 balls.

My worst was Articuno in about 60.

Timer balls are very hard to come by in HGSS, but if you can manage to get one you'll have a really great chance after about 30 turns.

SuperAngelo64 said:
Timer balls are very hard to come by in HGSS, but if you can manage to get one you'll have a really great chance after about 30 turns.
Hmm, do they give enough of a catch rate boost over Dusk Balls to make it worthwhile transferring a load over from Sapphire?

Azure Phoenix said:
Hmm, do they give enough of a catch rate boost over Dusk Balls to make it worthwhile transferring a load over from Sapphire?

Actually I just ran it through the Capture Calculator.

It's really not that big of a boost. The chance of catching a level 70 Ho-Oh, Asleep, with 1 HP is 7% with a Dusk Ball and 9% with a Timer Ball after 30 turns.

Not worth it.

Finalow

SuperAngelo64 said:
I have Roost, but I'll be damned if I'm going to play that Voltorb Flip shit for Swords Dance :lol

I can't believe they took away the option to buy coins in the NA/EU versions.
only roost it's ok, i know what you think about the fucking game with voltorbs... same for me :lol
So is it ok? Feebas for roost? My friend code: 3009 0793 4853

OMG Aero

If anyone has a spare Mudkip I could have that would help me out a lot. It's going to take ages until I can beat Red and get my own.

Just got Heart Gold out of curiosity, never played a Pokemon game before, but I needed a RPG to play on the commute so it seemed interesting.

I know the difference between Gold and Silver are the types of Pokemon available, but how do you bridge from one game to another, if you do? Are they two separate things, or are people playing both?

udivision

chesspieceface said:
Just got Heart Gold out of curiosity, never played a Pokemon game before, but I needed a RPG to play on the commute so it seemed interesting.

I know the difference between Gold and Silver are the types of Pokemon available, but how do you bridge from one game to another, if you do? Are they two separate things, or are people playing both?

Trading. That's the bridge.

I am thinking that the "weaker" a legendary is in terms of IV's, the easier it is to catch. I had almost no trouble with Articuno and Zapdos because both were deemed "decent". Either that or I'm very lucky. :D

If you've tossed about 30 Dusk Balls and had no success, either a) KO it, run through the E4 to get it respawned, or b) soft-reset.

Aad

I catch al my legendaries in standard pokéballs, so far i've caught Zapdos and Lugia in Soul Silver, Ho-Oh is being a bitch right now, it's not staying in the ball.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Pokeathalon has rekindled my hype for the game, just as my hype for SMG2 is dying down. I'm cutting back on my dailies but am playing more simply because of the amount of stuff you can unlock there. I think the remaining goals are...

- Tackle 2000 times
- Jump 1000 times
- Two (three?) sets of data cards
- Switch 200 times
- Participate 50 times
- Dash 5000 times
- Win the Pokeathalon 100 times
- Beat each of the 10 events 50 times

So far I'm in the third room ("Potential" room) and am betting there are five of them.

So remember guys:

That is...
Pokeathalon
FOREVER!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Speaking of cutting back on my dailies, with today's Wingull storm I am now done with Mary & Oak! :D

Andrex said:
Speaking of cutting back on my dailies, with today's Wingull storm I am now done with Mary & Oak! :D
Damn! Not fair! Still waiting impatiently on a Sableye swarm.

I don't want my very last pokemon to be a Sableye either, so it's making me wait for the Lugia and Mewtwo hunt as well -_-

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Metroid Killer said:
Damn! Not fair! Still waiting impatiently on a Sableye swarm.

I don't want my very last pokemon to be a Sableye either, so it's making me wait for the Lugia and Mewtwo hunt as well -_-

:D

In addition to the Pokeathalon, I know I need to go back to the Safari Zone. The Ruins of Alph loom in the distance as well.

Then in September when I'm done with all this, I'll buy Platinum and do it all again when Japan is freaking out over B/W. :lol

Edit- MK, you imported right? Or was that Echoes?

Oh btw see if you can break any of these records!

Neogaf Metroid Killer Pokeathlon Records

Categories:

Speed:
Metroid Killer: 513 points

Power:
Metroid Killer: 550 points

Skill:
Metroid Killer: 572 points

Stamina:
Metroid Killer: 541 points

Jump:
Metroid Killer: 473 points

Individual Disciplines:

Hurdle Dash:
Metroid Killer: 77.8 seconds

Pennant Capture:
Metroid Killer: 51 pennants

Relay Run:
Metroid Killer: 18.9 laps

Block Smash:
Metroid Killer: 140 blocks

Circle Push:
Metroid Killer: 66 points

Goal Roll:
Metroid Killer: 14 goals

Snow Throw:
Metroid Killer: 83 points

Ring Drop:
Metroid Killer: 172 points

Lamp Jump:
Metroid Killer: 552 points

Disc Catch:
Metroid Killer: 93 points

Individual Pokemon with all 5 medals:
Metroid Killer: 200 Pokemon

Hall of Fame:
Metroid Killer: 5349 points, 40 trophies

Feel free to add yourself (or pm me) or ask question about strategies.

Top Bottom