• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

OMG Aero

Little Green Yoda said:
Still up for an item swap? I'm available now if you are. Do you want 1 or 2 EQ TMs?
If by any chance you want another Reaper Cloth after SolarPowered has given you one, I could trade one for an Ice Beam TM.

OMG Aero

Little Green Yoda said:
I could always use another one. Will you be on 90 minutes from now? Anything else you need?
I might be online in 90 minutes. Just send me a PM and if I'm on the internet I'll reply and we can sort out the trade. If you have another Earthquake TM, that'd be good. You can never have too many TM26s.

TheSeks said:
How do you get past the Seafoam Islands back to where route 19 is blocked off? I want to continue the game from there reach "Blaine" from that way and the route past Seafoam is blocked off. :/

Gotta go south from Pallet Town.

EDIT: beaten

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SuperAngelo64 said:
Gotta go south from Pallet Town.

EDIT: beaten

NO, NO.

I KNOW THAT. I'm coming FROM that direction. There are swimmers past the rocks near the "Blaine's Gym" opening in the Seafoam islands are prevent me from hitting route 19. Am I supposed to go through the Seafoam islands to get to that route or something?

TheSeks said:
NO, NO.

I KNOW THAT. I'm coming FROM that direction. There are swimmers past the rocks near the "Blaine's Gym" opening in the Seafoam islands are prevent me from hitting route 19. Am I supposed to go through the Seafoam islands to get to that route or something?
Yeah, through gets you to the other side. once you finish the circuit to meet up to the other side, that other side will no longer be blocked (which doesn't matter since you should fly after visiting everything)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Does anyone try to fly as little as possible in these games, like I do? Like I take the magnet train and SS Aqua to get to the opposing region if I can, and I try to bike as much as possible. If I need to get to Blackthorne or Azaela though I fly because of the Ice Cave/forest.

Forkball

Andrex said:
Does anyone try to fly as little as possible in these games, like I do? Like I take the magnet train and SS Aqua to get to the opposing region if I can, and I try to bike as much as possible. If I need to get to Blackthorne or Azaela though I fly because of the Ice Cave/forest.
No way. I'm still pissed they didn't let you fly from Kanto to Johto without stopping at Victory Road or the Pokemon League.

Andrex said:
Curious, I wonder what you're done to jack up that time so much. I mean, you must pretty much have done practically everything in the single-player, right? I assume lots of time was spent at the Pokeathalon, Safari Zone, and Battle Frontier too. And you almot have a completed Pokedex right? I only have 362 atm...
Well getting all medals for 200 pokemon at the pokeathlon must have taken a loooot of time in itself. But I think the biggest reason why the main took so long for me is because I leveled up a lot of pokemon, in the early parts of the game(around lvl 20 enemies) I had almost 20 pokemons that I wanted to be part of my party. So a lot of grinding has taken place. Once I was done with Kanto I decided to get a completely new team = More grinding, making 3 EV teams = more grinding, spent lots of time on random crap (shiny charmander breeding program anyone?), lots of time at the Battle Frontier.

Yet ton of stuff I still need. :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Metroid Killer said:
Well getting all medals for 200 pokemon at the pokeathlon must have taken a loooot of time in itself. But I think the biggest reason why the main took so long for me is because I leveled up a lot of pokemon, in the early parts of the game(around lvl 20 enemies) I had almost 20 pokemons that I wanted to be part of my party. So a lot of grinding has taken place. Once I was done with Kanto I decided to get a completely new team = More grinding, making 3 EV teams = more grinding, spent lots of time on random crap (shiny charmander breeding program anyone?), lots of time at the Battle Frontier.

Yet ton of stuff I still need. :)

Oh yeah, what do you got lined up? ;)

The to-do list:
-Fill out the last part of the pokedex (Sableye, Shellos and evo, Finneon and evo, Lugia and Mewtwo and then Celebi at some point, hopefully through a wifi event)
-Get 7000 more Watts for the PokeWalker (which unlocks Stormy Beach) and I'm done with it
-Missing Blue's phonenumber (stupid sister!)
-Arceus Plates (only got 1 by accident, haven't even started this yet)
-100 win streak at the Battle Tower(I'm at 50 but too afraid to go on ;_;)
-170 win streak at the Battle Hall (got KO at 169 last time....
-Create some more EV trained pokemon

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Metroid Killer said:
The to-do list:
-Fill out the last part of the pokedex (Sableye, Shellos and evo, Finneon and evo, Lugia and Mewtwo and then Celebi at some point, hopefully through a wifi event)
-Get 7000 more Watts for the PokeWalker (which unlocks Stormy Beach) and I'm done with it
-Missing Blue's phonenumber (stupid sister!)
-Arceus Plates (only got 1 by accident, haven't even started this yet)
-100 win streak at the Battle Tower(I'm at 50 but too afraid to go on ;_;)
-170 win streak at the Battle Hall (got KO at 169 last time....
-Create some more EV trained pokemon

What's the significance of 170? When do you get the ribbon or whatever?

Betcha I'll finish all the stuff in less time than you did! :D

Andrex said:
What's the significance of 170? When do you get the ribbon or whatever?

Betcha I'll finish all the stuff in less time than you did! :D
Yeah you get a gold ribbon for doing it. And it's hardly a feat to do anything faster than me in this game :lol

Blu_LED said:
Japan is hit with another Wifi event. The US is how many behind now?

We are still waiting for the 10th anniversary Mew, the Enigma Stone event, and this new Scizor event. I guess we aren't getting anything until the Winner's Path event ends on the 25th.
Yay, always exciting when getting new wifi stuff. Though it's a kind of crappy Scizor, Swarm ability? Makes Bullet Punch suck and it's basically one of the most important moves for Scizor. What's so special about this one?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't think I'll get a 35 streak in the Battle Frontier anything. =(

What're some good Pokemon for conquering the Tower? Electivire and Starmie are two I've been playing with...

Starmie is a must have for using good pokemons and raw power and will get you a long way through the Tower. Garchomp/Salmence for being uber powerful and then a third pokemon that will compliment/cover the first two.

Edit: But this 'raw power' strategy will only take you as far as your luck allows you.

Unicorn

Metroid Killer said:
Starmie is a must have for using good pokemons and raw power and will get you a long way through the Tower. Garchomp/Salmence for being uber powerful and then a third pokemon that will compliment/cover the first two.
Flinchkiss for annoyance?

OMG Aero

I have a quick question for the Pokemon experts here.
On my team I have a Crobat that I'd like to teach Sunny Day to support other Pokemon on my team like my Typhlosion but I'm not sure which move to delete. Out of its four moves, I'm willing to get rid of either Pursuit or Poison Fang but I'm not sure which one. And on that note, should I replace the other move too? I was thinking of maybe giving it Sunny Day and U-Turn so it can set up then get out of there to let Typhlosion come in and take advantage of the sun.

Firestorm

Am I the only one following VGC stuff? =(

In Atlanta today, the guy who beat me in Seattle got 2nd. He forfeited the final round against his son so he would end up first (<18 which gets him the extra ticket for his guardian). His daughter who was top 8 in Seattle won Juniors.

What a family :eek:

Firestorm said:

In Atlanta today, the guy who beat me in Seattle got 2nd. He forfeited the final round against his son so he would end up first (<18 which gets him the extra ticket for his guardian). His daughter who was top 8 in Seattle won Juniors.

Did they happen to have Oak as their last names? :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'd follow VGC if they did it in more places. Otherwise what's really the point if you're never going to attend. v.v

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to make it to Indy this year. A 5-hour drive is doable.

I'll be bringing one friend to compete as well, possibly two. Need to start reviewing the other regional results and start planning out our teams.

Finalow

Firestorm said:

:lol, but what the hell is VGC? Kind of tournament?
Anyway i want to fight with you guys :0

Finalow

sorry but now i can't, here it's 2:20 AM :(, i have to go. I meant in these days. Anyway i prefer single battle, i haven't a team for double.

Firestorm

Well, I finally posted my Seattle VGC experience up so for those who wanna take a read:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72895

finalozzo, people at regionals in the US are fighting for a chance at competing in the National tournament in Indianapolis. 1st gets the trip to Nationals paid off fully while 2nd to 4th get $300. Top 16 get invites. At Nationals they'll compete for an invite + trip to the World's in Hawaii. World's consists of the top 16 in the US, top 16 in Europe, and top 16 in Japan.

Finalow

Firestorm said:
Well, I finally posted my Seattle VGC experience up so for those who wanna take a read:

finalozzo, people at regionals in the US are fighting for a chance at competing in the National tournament in Indianapolis. 1st gets the trip to Nationals paid off fully while 2nd to 4th get $300. Top 16 get invites. At Nationals they'll compete for an invite + trip to the World's in Hawaii. World's consists of the top 16 in the US, top 16 in Europe, and top 16 in Japan.
god :0, are there some videos of the top (Japan, US and Europe)?

..OH MY GOD JUNIORS...
oh :lol :lol
These days i want to fight against you too. :D

Guys, I currently have some Pokemon with PokeAIDs that was thoughtfully passed over by someone else on a different forum.

Anyone want me to spread the love around?

Wizpig

Pureauthor said:
Guys, I currently have some Pokemon with PokeAIDs that was thoughtfully passed over by someone else on a different forum.

Anyone want me to spread the love around?
How does it work?
If it's ok with you we can try it now, but I don't know how can I catch the pokérus.

Just a single trade, and then I keep that pokémon in my team? or box?

Wizpig said:
How does it work?
If it's ok with you we can try it now, but I don't know how can I catch the pokérus.

Just a single trade, and then I keep that pokémon in my team? or box?

Pokerus goes away on any Pokemon in your party at midnight according to your clock. Sticking it in the PC prevents this.

To spread it around, keep the infected Pokemon in your party and fight battles. After ten or so it should have spread to the other members of your party.

Congratulations, you now have doubled EV growth.

Wichu

Actually, it only loses its infectiousness at midnight. The Pokémon still has doubled EV growth even after it's 'cured'.

Wizpig said:
Thanks, I can be online in 10 minutes if it's ok with you.
1291-0654-4027

Do you need something?

Got any Gen 1 or Gen 3 starters?

Or a Skarmory?

Or a Bagon?

Or a Riolu?

Honestly my Pokedex is total pants.

SS FC 1334 0950 5927

Wizpig

Pureauthor said:
Got any Gen 1 or Gen 3 starters?

Or a Skarmory?

Or a Bagon?

Or a Riolu?

Honestly my Pokedex is total pants.

SS FC 1334 0950 5927
Yes but gimme a sec I need to trade from Pearl to HG.

edit. breeding

OMG Aero

finalozzo said:
Oh man that was close.
If there is one thing I would change about VGC though it would be the legendary rules. Right now, the most interesting thing for me when watching these videos is what the last two Pokemon on each team are because every team's first two Pokemon are always from a small group of legendaries.
I don't think I've seen a VGC match without Kyogre and/or Rayquaza.

Wizpig

Ok Pureauthor, I'm ready, take 2 pokémon to trade with you, i'll throw in a bonus even if it's not one of the pokémon you asked for, hopefully it will be useful.

Firestorm said:

Actually read the whole thing. The Scizor/no STAB bit reminds me of when I used Wing Attack on a Bronzong, somehow thinking it was part Fighting and that Scizor had STAB.

Quick story from yesterday. I was doing the Bug-Catching Contest yesterday and was going for my typical full-HP-but-sleeping Scyther bit. I came across a couple Pinsir's and nabbed both (kept the second since it had more HP). I encountered a Scyther, but it kept shrugging off sleep and I burned through all my Sport Balls trying to catch it. Still won with the Pinsir (380 points) but I got an effing Oval Stone. Again. So for lulz I fly to Battle Frontier to check out the Pinsir and it's OUTSTANDING. My first outstanding Pokemon. With 31 IV's in HP. Makes up for the Oval Stone.

Firestorm

OMG Aero said:
Oh man that was close.
If there is one thing I would change about VGC though it would be the legendary rules. Right now, the most interesting thing for me when watching these videos is what the last two Pokemon on each team are because every team's first two Pokemon are always from a small group of legendaries.
I don't think I've seen a VGC match without Kyogre and/or Rayquaza.
Rayquaza's pretty bad. It's Kyogre and Abomasnow that seem to be on every team. Oh, and Palkia and / or Dialga. Those four are probably the four most used Pokemon right now. The most used team period is Hitmontop + Kyogre backed up by Abomasnow and Palkia (sometimes replace Palkia with Giratina).

This is probably one of my favourite VGC Videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoXpaSX02D8
And this one is a hilarious finals because the douchebag in the audience is just so obnoxious and clueless (hard watch more than once): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXwtRTsTeFw

Wizpig

What I don't get, and I don't want to sound like an elitist, is why legendaries are not banned in VGC.
Usually people tend to avoid them even in friendly battles and these people use them in tournaments?

Are some of them banned?

Fewr

Little Green Yoda said:
Sure Monday seems fine. I can give you 2 EQ TMs for the 1 Reaper Cloth since the Cloth is a rarer item.
???

I've got several reaper cloths from pokewalker's winner's path.

EDIT: corrected apostrophe.

Top Bottom