• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Firestorm

finalozzo said:
ah Choice scarf XD, right. Anyway firestorm: are not all legendaries with high statistics?
Not really. Pokemon like Metagross, Salamence, Garchomp, Dragonite, and Tyranitar have higher base stat totals than any of the legendary trios. The trios add up to 580 while those guys add up to 600 (like Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy). The ones most people ban outright are the ones who have a stat total over 600 + a couple of the 600 ones.

Then you have Pokemon like Moltres and Articuno who, even though their stats total up to the 580 which is decently high, have terrible typing / moves / high stats in the stats they don't need / whatever.

Legendary is just a designation for the Pokemon fiction. Don't get hung up on it and instead look at Pokemon for what they can do in a battle. Just looking through the tier list:

Ubers (banned)
Everything else
http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/uber

OU (used a lot because they're good)
Azelf
Celebi
Heatran
Jirachi
Rotom-C / F / H / S / W
Suicune
Zapdos

BL / UU / NU (not used very often because they aren't too good)
Cresselia
Raikou
Shaymin
Moltres
Mesprit
Regirock
Registeel
Rotom
Uxie
Articuno
Entei
Phione
Regice
Regiggas

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's just easier and more communicative to say "no legends" than "no guys over 600 or no guys with super excellent moves/types/etc."

Lunchbox

Banned
finalozzo said:
but zapdos is a uber :0

nah its just a shitty bird bad kids use

you kids need to play more shoddy battle. google it. if youre competitive you'll play that more than your ds after story mode is done

Moltres/Articuno sucked even in the RBY days due to their horrible movepools. Of course, now they're coming in on 50% Stealth Rock damage.

SolarPowered said:
Yeah, but I'll have to hatch a few extra ones since I've only got one ATM. If you give me until later on tonight I could hand you one that has at least three 31IV stats so that you can breed a superior one of your own with the right nature. I'll take a skorupi if you've still got any.

I'll start breeding right away.

Platinum FC: 0646 8089 9860

I don't really care for stats since I can't see IV's: I just breed and check with the Stats Judge. Any will do.

Still got a lot of Skorupi and Tyrogue: none have particularly stellar IV's IIRC. If you attach a Tamato Berry to the Trapinch I'll toss in Tyrogue for anything.

HG FC: 1591 7555 9620

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
finalozzo said:
:lol right, dragon dance is awesome.

Indeed. There's really no comparison, raising speed and attack is just... unbelievable.

It does look a little stupid in PBR though. :lol

Lone_Prodigy said:
Thanks a ton SolarPowered: did not expect that Hippopotas. :D
No problem. I was looking for my IV bred hippopotas(s) that you would have liked way more, but they're in my SS cart at the moment so I had to go with the standards. If you'd like one then let me know and we can set something up on another day.
Lone_Prodigy said:
EDIT: Trapinch learns EQ at level 73. FML.
Just when I thought I could get back to battling...

;_;

fake edit:
I didn't thank you for the trade. I appreciate the new pokes.

Thanks

Andrex said:
Wow, just got a phone call from Blue and it was actually really cool.
What did he say?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It went something like...

It's Blue.

A few years ago this guy Red knocked me down in a heartbeat. I haven't seen him in a while, I wonder where he is and what he's up to...

You know, you kinda look like him. A little like Red. Just a little. Yeah...

Anyways, thanks.

Or something like that. I'm sure I horribly mangled it.

Anyways I made this GIF just cause:

PokemonSig02.gif

Full version with Palkia/Dialga/Giratina's intros here (3.4 MB.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pureauthor said:
Why is Giratina over Arceus?

The three dragons are forming a triforce around Arceus, the trio master.

Speaking of, I was comparing the stats for Giratina's normal and origin forms, and the normal form is better? 100 ATK/120 DEF versus 120 ATK/100 DEF, if you wanted to do special attack the normal form would be the way to go.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Finished up the trendy saying sidequest today. Ultimately meaningless, but a fun daily diversion. But I'm glad I don't have to do it anymore.

Earlier this morning I got back into Safari Zone for the first time since April 30. Thanks to a GAFer's unexpected donation of a Gible, and some clever evolution strategizing on my part, I can say I'll be completely done with it by August 3. Luckily I had the foresight to set up the Swamp on April 15, which will make the last Pokemon I get that day Bagon, after 110 days.

Such a great, deep sidequest. A shame 98% of people will never bother with it, though.

Wichu

Andrex said:
The three dragons are forming a triforce around Arceus, the trio master.

Speaking of, I was comparing the stats for Giratina's normal and origin forms, and the normal form is better? 100 ATK/120 DEF versus 120 ATK/100 DEF, if you wanted to do special attack the normal form would be the way to go.
The Origin Forme has both offenses switched with its defenses. So it gets 120 Sp. Atk and 100 Sp. Def rather than 120 Sp. Def and 100 Sp. Atk.
If you're going for offenses, Origin Forme has higher base stats (however, it can only use the Griseous Orb).

Reich said:
Hey guys, anyone have a Bagon willing to spare ?

2278 9136 9968

I have some level 1's with Hydro Pump/Fire Blast/Dragon Pulse/Dragon Claw.

I'll accept any of the following (evolutions included):
-Mawile
-Torchic
-Stunky
-Glameow
-Shieldon
-Spheal
-Aron
-Snorunt
-Snover

Lone_Prodigy said:
I have some level 1's with Hydro Pump/Fire Blast/Dragon Pulse/Dragon Claw.

I'll accept any of the following (evolutions included):
-Mawile
-Torchic
-Stunky
-Glameow
-Shieldon
-Spheal
-Aron
-Snorunt
-Snover

I can toss you an Adamant Aron with 29 SPD IV (although it has sucky everything else) in exchange for a Bagon. It's better than going through the Safari Zone, anyway.

SS FC 1334 0950 5927

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wichu said:
The Origin Forme has both offenses switched with its defenses. So it gets 120 Sp. Atk and 100 Sp. Def rather than 120 Sp. Def and 100 Sp. Atk.
If you're going for offenses, Origin Forme has higher base stats (however, it can only use the Griseous Orb).

Ah OK. And yeah seems like taking up a hold item spot would suck.

I'm looking for a couple of water stones and I never have any luck with them in the underground. I'm willing to part with TMs, items and stones of my own for a couple of water stones.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SolarPowered said:
I'm looking for a couple of water stones and I never have any luck with them in the underground. I'm willing to part with TMs, items and stones of my own for a couple of water stones.

I have quite a few Water Stones, ironically from the underground. :lol How many do you need?

If you have a Up-Grade and/or Gligar I'd love you. <3

Andrex said:
I have quite a few Water Stones, ironically from the underground. :lol

If you have a Up-Grade and/or Gligar I'd love you. <3
I've got an extra one of each(The gligar is IV bred). I'll be in the Wi fi room immediately, but I do have one question.

You wouldn't happen to have any extra Earthquake TM's would you?(I'd be willing to part with some stuff for two of those if you're good for it).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SolarPowered said:
I've got an extra one of each(The gligar is IV bred). I'll be in the Wi fi room immediately, but I do have one question.

You wouldn't happen to have any extra Earthquake TM's would you?(I'd be willing to part with some stuff for two of those if you're good for it).

No, I don't sorry. :( Haven't been to the Battle Frontier in a while either.

So how many do you need? Just two?

Andrex said:
No, I don't sorry. :( Haven't been to the Battle Frontier in a while either.

So how many do you need? Just two?
Yeah, I'd need about two I think. Right now I just want to focus on getting the water stones out of the way.

I'm in the Wi fi room with the gligar and upgrade. If you want the IVs on the Gligar let me know.

fake edit: I thought you were talking about he Earthquakes. Yeah, I just need two water stones.:lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SolarPowered said:
Yeah, I'd need about two I think. Right now I just want to focus on getting the water stones out of the way.

I'm in the Wi fi room with the gligar and upgrade. If you want the IVs on the Gligar let me know.

Sure, why not. Gliscor could end up being apart of my team eventually I suppose.

Andrex said:
Sure, why not. Gliscor could end up being apart of my team eventually I suppose.
Oh crap I forgot to bring in an extra pokemon to trade. I'll leave and come back with an extra poke in a few seconds.

sorry

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SolarPowered said:
Oh crap I forgot to bring in an extra pokemon to trade. I'll leave and come back with an extra poke in a few seconds.

sorry

No prob. Get two, I brought an extra Poke+stone.

Andrex said:
No prob. Get two, I brought an extra Poke+stone.
Thanks for the extra stones. I just can't get over the irony of my case. I've got at least 23 fire stones, barely any leaf stones and no water stones whatsoever. I'm lucky gaf is around.:lol

Gligar's IV stats:
Gligar - #207 (Adamant): 31 / 19 / 5 / 10 / 31 / 31

The defense IV is super crappy, but it's still got monstrous defense(I did a quick IV battle check) and it's got pretty good IV stats everywhere else.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SolarPowered said:
Thanks for the extra stones. I just can't get over the irony of my case. I've got at least 23 fire stones, barely any leaf stones and no water stones whatsoever. I'm lucky gaf is around.:lol

Gligar's IV stats:
Gligar - #207 (Adamant): 31 / 19 / 5 / 10 / 31 / 31

The defense IV is super crappy, but it's still got monstrous defense(I did a quick IV battle check) and it's got pretty good IV stats everywhere else.

No prob! I think I'm the opposite. Lots of water stones from underground, leaf stones from bug catching contests, and small amount of fire stones. :lol

If you ever really need stones though, the Pokeathlon is a great place to get em. If you don't blow all your points on data cards like I do. :lol

Anyways, thanks to you, I have all 251 of the original generation two games, except for Tyranitar and Celebi (c'mon, NoA!) :D

SolarPowered said:

I have some extra earthquake TMs I could trade you.

Andrex said:
No prob! I think I'm the opposite. Lots of water stones from underground, leaf stones from bug catching contests, and small amount of fire stones. :lol

If you ever really need stones though, the Pokeathlon is a great place to get em. If you don't blow all your points on data cards like I do. :lol

Anyways, thanks to you, I have all 251 of the original generation two games, except for Tyranitar and Celebi (c'mon, NoA!) :D
You don't have to thank me at all. You've helped me tremendously as well. After a couple more days of EV training I'll finally be ready for battle and I can't even begin to describe how much I wanna fight someone haha.
Hatchet Man said:
I have some extra earthquake TMs I could trade you.
Fantastic!

Is there anything in particular you're looking for?

SolarPowered said:
You don't have to thank me at all. You've helped me tremendously as well. After a couple more days of EV training I'll finally be ready for battle and I can't even begin to describe how much I wanna fight someone haha.

Fantastic!

Is there anything in particular you're looking for?

Not really, how many did you need?

Hatchet Man said:
Not really, how many did you need?
Three of them would be fantastic for future storage(I IV breed like a maniac :p), but I would be great with just two if you're stretched a bit thin on that TM.

I'll be in the Wi-fi room.

SolarPowered said:
Three of them would be fantastic for future storage(I IV breed like a maniac :p), but I would be great with just two if you're stretched a bit thin on that TM.

I'll be in the Wi-fi room.

Alright see you there.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OMG Aero said:
I spent like 15 minutes today trying to find various Pokemon on that to see if it really did have them all.

It seems mostly to scale but wouldn't Wailord stick out as much as Giratina? As it stands I couldn't find him...

Top Bottom