• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Amneisac said:
I love games, but I've never gotten into Pokemon. Anyways, my 10 year old nephew has started to talk about it all the time but he doesn't have any of the games. I bought him Soul Silver for xmas because I've heard him talk about Lugia a lot.

Is this something he can enjoy as a 10 year old? I'm mean, I'm sure he'll like it, but will he be able to get it and really understand it? I'm not sure how complex it is, he just recently played his first game all the way through (Ghostbusters on xbox 360) so I'd be excited to see him get really into another one.
He'll love it. Pokemon is one of those games that is easy to pick up, but can have lots of depth if you want it to.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Since the thread got bumped, how about some information on upcoming Pokémon giveaways in the U.S.? Courtesy of Cheap Ass Gamer.

All of these Pokémon can be downloaded with copies of Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver.

Gamestop

Shiny Raikou - available 1/3/11 - 1/9/11

Shiny Entei - available 1/17/11 - 1/23/11

Shiny Suicune - available 1/31/11 - 2/6/11

These three can be transferred into your upcoming copies of Pokémon Black and White to trigger an event that lets you capture Zoroark.

More info here: http://www.pokemongoldsilver.com/us/#/news/trio/

Celebi - available 2/27/11 - 3/7/11

If you have Celebi in your copy of HeartGold or SoulSilver, it triggers a special Time Travel event. Celebi can also be transferred into your upcoming copies of Pokémon Black and White to trigger an event that lets you capture Zorua.

More info here: http://www.ripten.com/2010/12/31/celebi-pokemon-giveaway-event-heading-to-gamestop-justin6464/

Toys "R" Us

Ash's Pikachu - available 1/30/11 - 2/5/11

More info here: http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=4311963

Ondore

Lone_Prodigy said:
You can't get Steelix unless you trade it with a Metal Coat, and Onix is kind of terrible IMO.

In the remakes, you can catch one wild in the cave on Route 47. It's the only L23 Pokemon in there, so you can use a Repel with a L23 Pokemon in front to force the encounter (it's 2% otherwise).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, they aren't doing Wifi events for those?

NoJ > No* confirmed. SMH Nintendo. SMH.

I'll be getting my event pokemon for B/W through PKMDB I guess. Fuck you Nintendo. >:|

Somnid

TheSeks said:

I'll be getting my event pokemon for B/W through PKMDB I guess. Fuck you Nintendo. >:|

Are you daft or something? None of these were given out over wi-fi in Japan. You had to go to a movie theater and pay like $15 to watch the shitty movie.

Ondore said:
In the remakes, you can catch one wild in the cave on Route 47. It's the only L23 Pokemon in there, so you can use a Repel with a L23 Pokemon in front to force the encounter (it's 2% otherwise).

Yeah forgot about that. Also Jasmine gives you a Steelix (forgot what you had to trade for it). I gave her a level 1 Pokemon.

TheSeks said:

As said by Somnid the only one of those that was a wifi event in japan was Ash's Pikachu, you had to get the others in person, they still like doing the meetup events as it gets Pokemon fans together and is a cool day out, im glad they don't just do wifi events all the time.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
could be worse. Could be like the GB/GBC/GBA days when these events required going through a full trade with every person in a giant line.

DrForester said:
could be worse. Could be like the GB/GBC/GBA days when these events required going through a full trade with every person in a giant line.

I remember a Pokemon Stadium tournament where I forgot to bring my GB to get Mew. My brother ended up winning (using "Battle Now!") and had a choice of a Pokemon T-shirt or a Pikachu (Tamagotchi-like toy). I lost my battle by like 2 HP. :(

Mush

Just another interest check regarding a possible pre Black and White tournament. Nothing serious, just a friendly thing.

I'll set up a thread over in the Online forum soon.

Mush said:
Just another interest check regarding a possible pre Black and White tournament. Nothing serious, just a friendly thing.

Make it a doubles tourney.

The shiny beast events have lured me back to Superior Silver. And what could have been a better way to welcome me back than the Battle Tower OHKO haxing my team before battle 49. :lol

After grinding for Quiet Cave (and realizing the items/Pokemon there aren't worth it), I've decided to try for a Surf/Fly Pikachu. After many Flail Pikachu's I finally get a Modest Surf one.

I'm still working my way through Platinum; hoping to finish it before Black/White comes out. I'd be down for a tourney though.

El Sloth

Banned
Mush said:

I've been on a pokemon hiatus ever since I got SSIV(and went on media blackout for B&W), but I'm willing to bust out my Superior Silver to get my butt whooped by some Gaffers. :D

Shame I didn't hear about the events for the shinies earlier. I'm gonna miss out on that shiny Raikou. :(

Crasher Wake (Platinum) is such a cheater. :lol

His Gyarados versus my Prinplup. I let him Bite me to low HP so I get a Torrent-boosted Brine but he flinches me. I Super Potion, he flinches again.

Later, his Floatzel flinches my Togetic with Ice Fang, then when I heal he freezes him the next turn.

Still beat him, but geez.

Mush

Ondore said:
For those in Europe or who missed the Raikou distribution, the gerbils are apparently going to be available over wi-fi in Europe during February. And in the past, European events (namely Jirachi and some Pichu event) have been accessible in North America as well.
Tomato source?

OMG Aero

Ondore said:
For those in Europe or who missed the Raikou distribution, the gerbils are apparently going to be available over wi-fi in Europe during February. And in the past, European events (namely Jirachi and some Pichu event) have been accessible in North America as well.
Wow, Nintendo must really like us at the moment. We get the games early and we get wi-fi events instead of the stupid go to a store ones.

OMG Aero said:
Wow, Nintendo must really like us at the moment. We get the games early and we get wi-fi events instead of the stupid go to a store ones.

Awww I was looking forward to Game store events, going to guess this is mentioned in the latest NOM, i'll have a look tomorrow.

Teknoman

El Sloth said:
I've been on a pokemon hiatus ever since I got SSIV(and went on media blackout for B&W), but I'm willing to bust out my Superior Silver to get my butt whooped by some Gaffers. :D

Shame I didn't hear about the events for the shinies earlier. I'm gonna miss out on that shiny Raikou. :(

I'd be up for it too. Never played an online double battle...and just like everyone else, I dont want to get burnt out before I snag White version. Then again, I still have to finish the Kanto side of things.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
This is a long shot, but if anyone has a thick club (cubones 5% chance item) I would trade them anything I have. I have a lot of pokemon and items, I just don't want to go through the nonsense of farming cubones.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
FootNinja said:
This is a long shot, but if anyone has a thick club (cubones 5% chance item) I would trade them anything I have. I have a lot of pokemon and items, I just don't want to go through the nonsense of farming cubones.
I'm sure I have one laying around. Give me a minute to get my DS.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Double posting because I have a thick club like that.

Thanks again 645, I remember you helping me out with ditto's before and giving you my lugia for no reason :p

Sixfortyfive

np

It's been months since I've played this. I should probably get around to picking up all those wondercard events I've been accumulating. Or maybe just leveling my in-game party to 100. Sitting at 92 right now. :3

Matchew

Ok this is going to be a really stupid question, but I took a long break from playing Silver and I'm now at Route 16 in Kanto and I don't know how to take out my bike for the route. Can anybody tell me how to do this...Sorry stupid question I know.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Over my vacation I had lots of quality time to spend with SoulSilver. Specifically, I've mostly completed the Pokedex and did the Ruins of Alph quest. What a lame quest. I clearly didn't miss anything by not getting Crystal. Oh! And today I got a gold Battle Tower print. Feels great man.

Anyways, I still have a couple left to catch. Top of the list is a HeartGold Kyogre. I also need a Deoxys, Manaphy, Darkrai, and Shaymin.

List of extra stuff I got:

- Zapdos
- Mew
- Shiny Raikou x2
- Jirachi x2
- Azelf, Uxie, Mesprit
- Dialga, Pakia, Giratina
- Heatran, Regigigas x2, Cresselia
- Spiritomb
- Electivire, Magmortar x2 (PBR versions)

Practically most of the items... Tons of stones and hold items. Might as well hand those out since they can't be transferred to B/W. And actually, my PC box space is pretty cramped so I wouldn't mind trading two or three of these for one of the ones I need.

Help me GAF, u r my only hope.

Also 645 I sent you a YouTube PM a while ago but you never responded. >_>

SFGamer said:
Ok this is going to be a really stupid question, but I took a long break from playing Silver and I'm now at Route 16 in Kanto and I don't know how to take out my bike for the route. Can anybody tell me how to do this...Sorry stupid question I know.

Should be in the Key Items pocket of your backpack.

That reminds me, I need to look up folding bikes online...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
Oh, whoops. I don't check those often.

Hit me up with anything specific you still need.

Eh nothing really aside from what I need to complete my Pokedex. I would like to know the kind of team you'd need to get a 100 streak in the Tower, though.

Sixfortyfive

Andrex said:
Eh nothing really aside from what I need to complete my Pokedex. I would like to know the kind of team you'd need to get a 100 streak in the Tower, though.
Do you need these to keep or just to check off for the Pokedex?

Reliable Battle Frontier teams can be found here. The most reliable teams usually center around some kind of Trick lead, which usually allow you to lock the opponent into a move that allows you to buy time boosting stats for easy steamroll victories. They give you the highest chance of winning but also make most battles pretty long.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
Do you need these to keep or just to check off for the Pokedex?

Both, really.

Sixfortyfive said:
Reliable Battle Frontier teams can be found here. The most reliable teams usually center around some kind of Trick lead, which usually allow you to lock the opponent into a move that allows you to buy time boosting stats for easy steamroll victories. They give you the highest chance of winning but also make most battles pretty long.

How would an all Wobuffet team fare?

biggyfries said:
I have a Manaphy egg if you need it.

Only thing is, I need a SS Lugia. But, I don't care if it's a dupe.

You mean a Phione, then?

I don't have an extra Lugia though. :(

Sixfortyfive

Andrex said:
Both, really.
Give me a minute to get ready and I can do it now. I'll edit my FC into this post.

How would an all Wobuffet team fare?
Species clause is enforced in the tower, so it wouldn't get off the ground. I don't think I've seen Wobuffet used to success in the frontier; I don't really know how you could make use of him off the top of my head.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
Give me a minute to get ready and I can do it now. I'll edit my FC into this post.

I think I already have it from when you trounced me as a gym leader.

Sixfortyfive said:
Species clause is enforced in the tower, so it wouldn't get off the ground. I don't think I've seen Wobuffet used to success in the frontier; I don't really know how you could make use of him off the top of my head.

Huh. And yet it causes so many problems for human players.

Sixfortyfive

It's not so much that he's banned from 4th gen play due to being an overpowered beast, but that he is virtually guaranteed one KO and removes almost all of the skill/guesswork in the game. He'd probably be guaranteed one KO per match in the Tower as well, especially since you can obtain the resources to know exactly what movelist the AI opponent is probably running and what he's likely to do. But what are you going to do after he takes down one Pokemon and is at low health? He's dead weight on the team at that point.

Plus, the ability to cripple the opponent by preventing him from switching is the main aspect of Wobb's "brokenness," and the frontier AI rarely switches out in the first place (that's why the Trick strategy even works at all), sooooo....

Also, this is going to take a little while to dupe these PKMN, so hang with me for a while so I can finish.

Andrex said:
You mean a Phione, then?

I don't have an extra Lugia though. :(

No, I actually have a Manaphy egg (from one of the other games) that I dont need. :D

Thats cool, then. If you still want the Manaphy, just let me know. I will have some free time Sunday.

EDIT: Aw, hell. I dont need Lugia. I need a SS Groudon. My bad.

Anyone have a dupe/clone I could have? If you need anything, lmk.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If Manaphy breeds it makes a Phione, how did you get a Manaphy egg? o_0 Should be impossible.

I could lend you my SS Groudon for a bit if you need it.

Oh and thanks 645! I was so excited to have those Pokemon that I kinda forgot to thank you. :p But they are massively appreciated.

Top Bottom