• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome, thanks. I have a bunch on my ancient copy of Sapphire that I want to trade over, but I'd much rather play Platinum than replay Pearl/Diamond again.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Dragonite only gets heal bell through pokemon XD!?

This is the second time, I have overlooked a move that I cant get AFTER i went through with breeding the pokemon..

I am in need of a quiet ditto with good IV's :(

Sanic

On a whim, I purchased Soul Silver today. I haven't played a Pokemon game since the original Gold/Silver over ten years ago. Any general tips, or any major changes from the originals that I should be aware of? Not that I remember a whole lot, to be honest.

Gravijah

Pandoracell said:
On a whim, I purchased Soul Silver today. I haven't played a Pokemon game since the original Gold/Silver over ten years ago. Any general tips, or any major changes from the originals that I should be aware of? Not that I remember a whole lot, to be honest.

Have fun. Don't worry about anything and just play how you want to play. Make sure not to give your Pokemon more than one of the same type of moves i.e no flamethrower and flame blast. Uhm... Make use of an HM slave, a Pokemon you don't actually use, but just teach HM moves.

Sanic

Gravijah said:
Have fun. Don't worry about anything and just play how you want to play. Make sure not to give your Pokemon more than one of the same type of moves i.e no flamethrower and flame blast. Uhm... Make use of an HM slave, a Pokemon you don't actually use, but just teach HM moves.

Why? So I don't waste a move slot on moves that aren't combat focused? HMs are things like Cut, right?

Gravijah

Pandoracell said:
Why? So I don't waste a move slot on moves that aren't combat focused? HMs are things like Cut, right?

Yes. I mean, it's OK to give your main team a few HMs, but you're gonna need an HM slave eitherway. Though, definitely teach a water Pokemon Surf, because that move is awesome.

Sanic

Gravijah said:
Yes. I mean, it's OK to give your main team a few HMs, but you're gonna need an HM slave eitherway. Though, definitely teach a water Pokemon Surf, because that move is awesome.

Gotcha, thanks.

E: Is it possible to not have a Pokemon follow you at all times?

FootNinja said:
Dragonite only gets heal bell through pokemon XD!?

This is the second time, I have overlooked a move that I cant get AFTER i went through with breeding the pokemon..

I am in need of a quiet ditto with good IV's :(
I think I have one with 3 or 4 30s somewhere. I'll have to dig up my old Notepad file with all my Ditto IVs to be sure.

Sanic

I've been reading a bit through the thread, and unless i'm misunderstanding, can all types of Pokemon have any kind of type, or any set of types depending on the Pokemon? For example, could I catch a Weedle that was Psychic?

It feels like a good bit has changed/been added with regard to stats/attributes since the original gold/silver.

OMG Aero

Pandoracell said:
I've been reading a bit through the thread, and unless i'm misunderstanding, can all types of Pokemon have any kind of type, or any set of types depending on the Pokemon? For example, could I catch a Weedle that was Psychic?
Nope, what gave you that idea?

Sanic

OMG Aero said:
Nope, what gave you that idea?

I saw a post somewhere in the thread where someone mentioned finding a meditite that was dark/psychic and I didn't remember that pokemon having those attributes, so I thought that aspect of the game had been changed.

I'm thinking i'm gonna have some reading up to do before I dive into this too deeply. I'm about to enter the first gym.

Ah, too bad.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'd probably love a Hoenn remake. The reasons I hated Sapphire at the time are mostly gone, and the rest could be easily fixed in a remake. Plus it remains the only main series game's plot I haven't finished, so it would be like playing an entirely new game.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm replaying Sapphire right now, and it sucks hard. Such a terrible selection of Pokemon. And oh my god, Team Aqua are so damn inane, haha.

Edit: And WAY TOO MANY HMs HOLY CRAP.

Sagitario

omg.kittens said:
I'm replaying Sapphire right now, and it sucks hard. Such a terrible selection of Pokemon. And oh my god, Team Aqua are so damn inane, haha.

Edit: And WAY TOO MANY HMs HOLY CRAP.

4gSW7.gif

Superior Team Magma!

As an RSE hater I look forward to the inevitable remake so they can get another chance to do it right. The first and second gen remakes have both been incredible, though they had the benefit of building upon already solid games.

D-Pad

Gravijah said:
fuck dem haters in the ass, hoenn is the shit

Hoenn is right behind Johto for best soundtrack so far. Though from what I heard from BW they might get pushed down a rank. :p Edit - At least in terms of the battle music.

OMG Aero

I don't know why you guys are saying Team Magma are better than Aqua.
Both of them are terrible and are the worst villains in all of the Pokemon games.

Gravijah

The villains are kinda ehh, but I love the end of the story in RSE, plus I love the actual locations in Hoenn. I live 5 minutes away from the ocean though, so I've always loved the ocean and water in video games.

I know this thread is old, but I am looking for a specific pokemon and would love it if someone would tad me if they have, or can breed me an extra.

I'm trying to get a bagon, I just don't have the time to wait 110 days. It's taking forever and it would be more useful now while I'm still playing the game. I'd love to get one for my team if anyone has or can spare.

PM or reply to me. Thanks

Gravijah

HenryGale said:
I know this thread is old, but I am looking for a specific pokemon and would love it if someone would tad me if they have, or can breed me an extra.

I'm trying to get a bagon, I just don't have the time to wait 110 days. It's taking forever and it would be more useful now while I'm still playing the game. I'd love to get one for my team if anyone has or can spare.

PM or reply to me. Thanks

Should have one, lemme check my games...

Wow that was fast, haha awesome if you do. I am always astounded by the knowledge of these games in these threads. There are so many pokemon and tricks to it as well as ways to obtain them. Not sure how everyone keeps trace of them.

It's crazy how much there is to know, luckily I have GAF.

Gravijah

HenryGale said:
Wow that was fast, haha awesome if you do. I am always astounded by the knowledge of these games in these threads. There are so many pokemon and tricks to it as well as ways to obtain them. Not sure how everyone keeps trace of them.

It's crazy how much there is to know, luckily I have GAF.

Psst, PMed you! My FC is 1678 1597 2414.

Just had to turn off the password on my wifi at home. DSLite no WPA :(

Edit in: Again so awesome thanks.

I gave you an eve because I breed them for myself for an eve team. I have like 10 extra haha

Gravijah

HenryGale said:
Just had to turn off the password on my wifi at home. DSLite no WPA :(

Edit in: Again so awesome thanks.

I gave you an eve because I breed them for myself for an eve team. I have like 10 extra haha

Thanks. :) If you need anything else I'm sure I or someone else around here might have what you need.

Gravijah said:
Thanks. :) If you need anything else I'm sure I or someone else around here might have what you need.

Seems that way, I just don't want to rely on it. I just always liked bagon, but 110 days is an impossibly long time to wait for a pokemon.

Sanic

So I just made it to Goldenrod, and I feel like there's too large of a gap in levels between my starter and everyone else. My Croconaw is level 21, but my other 4 Pokemon are between level 9 and 13. After reading around, it seems like its not really considered a good idea to raise 5-6 Pokemon. Should I dump a few of them? I really don't want to go grind, since I despise doing that in RPGs.

suikodan

I went to a friend's house this weekend. Even though they're not "bio" family, their children are my nieces and nephew anyways.

I gave HG to my oldest niece last year and it's astonishing how she played that game. She loves reading about Pokemon, learned the types and what not. My team was at level 65ish and hers was 35 and she wanted to battle. I warned that my team would wipe hers off the floor but she didn't mind.

We battled again this weekend and this time, her team was in the 70s so it was an even match. I was amazed that she completely cleaned me off. She knew how to counter-attack my team (and honestly, I haven't been playing for a while) and won an easy battle.

She was so proud beating her uncle. She still cannot believe it now. I'm also proud since she's the first kid that I've shown video games and she likes them.

I can't wait until Black/White comes out. I'm gonna make sure that she clears HG first but I can't wait to discover all the online options with her. ;)

cvxfreak

omg.kittens said:
Will I be able to transfer Pokemon from the GBA games to Black/White? If not, is it possible to transfer them to Platinum? I really don't want to play Pearl or Diamond again...

Not directly. You'll have to transfer them to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver first and then from those games to Black and White. I'm not sure why they left the functionality out myself.

Wichu

Pandoracell said:
So I just made it to Goldenrod, and I feel like there's too large of a gap in levels between my starter and everyone else. My Croconaw is level 21, but my other 4 Pokemon are between level 9 and 13. After reading around, it seems like its not really considered a good idea to raise 5-6 Pokemon. Should I dump a few of them? I really don't want to go grind, since I despise doing that in RPGs.
I find it's best to have 3 or 4 strong Pokémon, and use the spare slots for HM moves (other than Surf, Waterfall and possibly Strength, the HMs are weak and not worth teaching to your main party). Grinding isn't ever necessary in Pokémon unless you want to start competitive battling.

Sanic

Right now I just have a Ratatta that i'm using as an HM slave, but eventually i'm going to have to add another one now that I think about it, so I guess I should drop another pokemon off my team now. My problem is that if I loose my starter, my other pokemon are nearly worthless, and even if I remove a few from my team, that isn't necessarily going to bring what I have left up to parity much quicker. Is there any recommended way to power level?

Also, should I have a fishing rod and headbutt by now if i'm in Goldenrod?

Wichu

Pandoracell said:
Right now I just have a Ratatta that i'm using as an HM slave, but eventually i'm going to have to add another one now that I think about it, so I guess I should drop another pokemon off my team now. My problem is that if I loose my starter, my other pokemon are nearly worthless, and even if I remove a few from my team, that isn't necessarily going to bring what I have left up to parity much quicker. Is there any recommended way to power level?

Also, should I have a fishing rod and headbutt by now if i'm in Goldenrod?
You could always use the classic send in weak Pokémon and immediately switch to starter strategy. Just use your weak Pokémon as much as you can; they'll soon catch up.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
"Easy mode" in Pokemon basically amounts to the following, for those who want to avoid grinding:

Use two Pokemon for battles: your starter, and one decent Pokemon that covers your starter's biggest weaknesses. Split all the EXP in the game between only these two and you'll be over-leveled to the point where you don't really have to worry about the occasional and rare bad match-up. You just have to think ahead a little bit and make sure to have a good attack pool between the two of them, no redundant moves (like having Surf and Hydro Pump), no useless HM attacks, etc.

You can get by with a full team of six without grinding as well so long as you're not constantly switching members in and out, as that will amount to "wasting" some EXP here and there. I usually go this route these days; I don't even use HM slaves anymore.

spidye

suikodan said:
I went to a friend's house this weekend. Even though they're not "bio" family, their children are my nieces and nephew anyways.

I gave HG to my oldest niece last year and it's astonishing how she played that game. She loves reading about Pokemon, learned the types and what not. My team was at level 65ish and hers was 35 and she wanted to battle. I warned that my team would wipe hers off the floor but she didn't mind.

We battled again this weekend and this time, her team was in the 70s so it was an even match. I was amazed that she completely cleaned me off. She knew how to counter-attack my team (and honestly, I haven't been playing for a while) and won an easy battle.

She was so proud beating her uncle. She still cannot believe it now. I'm also proud since she's the first kid that I've shown video games and she likes them.

I can't wait until Black/White comes out. I'm gonna make sure that she clears HG first but I can't wait to discover all the online options with her. ;)
now, that's what i call a creepy uncle
;)

OMG Aero

In every single Pokemon game I've gone through with a party of six by just keeping them at the same levels and if ever one gets over levelled, I stop using it in battles until the others catch up. The only games I have had to actually spend time grinding using this method are GSC/HGSS but that is because the levelling curve of those games are all over the place.

Sanic

Is there any kind of disadvantage to allowing Pokemon to level up in the Daycare? I left one of mine overnight and he shot up 9 levels! Seems like I won't be grinding after all?

Wichu

Pandoracell said:
Is there any kind of disadvantage to allowing Pokemon to level up in the Daycare? I left one of mine overnight and he shot up 9 levels! Seems like I won't be grinding after all?
The main disadvantage is that you can't control what moves they learn - it might forget one of its best moves for something useless. Second, its stats will be slightly lower than if you'd trained it against other Pokémon, but this can be remedied by extra training (there's a cap on how much training boosts stats - it doesn't matter whether you train early or late, as long as you KO enough Pokémon by the time you reach level 100).

Anth0ny

Pandoracell said:

LOL

The daycare doesn't actually work like that. Your Pokemon gains experience for every step you take, not from waiting a certain amount of time. If you want to quickly level up a Pokemon using the daycare, get on your bike and ride like the wind.

Sanic

Any strategies for Whitney's Miltank? I don't have a type advantage, and haven't had any luck brute-forcing my way through the fight, as that doesn't work when she has a super potion and uses Milk Drink six times. All of my Pokemon are a level above or below the Miltank, but I would prefer a solution that doesn't involve more leveling.

Top Bottom