• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

I think i have a pokemon problem.

I have three badges in this game. three. yet i have 63 pokemon owned and i'm planning on getting that up to 70 before i proceed with the "plot."

am i the only one who plays like this? it's fun, but i feel like i waste so much time playing these games. it's the same way i played leaf green. ah well.

cyndaquil lv 25
togetic lv 25
flaaffy lv 25
sudowoodo lv 20
eevee lv 15 (-> espeon)

just need a water type and i should be set.

Aaron Strife said:
I think i have a pokemon problem.

I have three badges in this game. three. yet i have 63 pokemon owned and i'm planning on getting that up to 70 before i proceed with the "plot."

am i the only one who plays like this? it's fun, but i feel like i waste so much time playing these games. it's the same way i played leaf green. ah well.

cyndaquil lv 25
togetic lv 25
flaaffy lv 25
sudowoodo lv 20
eevee lv 15 (-> espeon)

just need a water type and i should be set.

I usually use the prima guides and catch every pokemon in a given area before I ever proceed out of that area (as well as spend enormouse amounts of time when I reach the place with Unown to catch every single letter and organize them in my box) and thats on top of level grinding to the max level of the last badge I acquired. The game is such an easy way to pass the time.

btkadams

ok, so i recently bought platinum and diamond (because they were lost before). i also have soul silver.

i have come to the conclusion that the following pokemon i can not obtain because they are event pokemon, require event items/pokemon to obtain, or are only available in the gba versions.

btw, i received mew as a mystery gift through nintendo so that's why i didn't include it. also, i realize some of the event pokemon are obtainable in the gba games but i put them as event because for the ds generation games i have that's how they are obtained.

Event Pokemon:
• Regigigas
• Regice
• Regirock
• Registeel
• Darkrai
• Shaymin
• Arceus

From old games:
Manaphy - from Pokemon Ranger
Deoxys - from Emerald/Fire Red/Leaf Green

what am i supposed to do to get these? any suggestions? i actually want to start trying to fill a pokedex this year with pokemon black/white so i'm not really wanting to trade away my lone legendaries to get these. how have others tried to get them?

Boogiepop

Inferno313 said:
For those of you who missed out on the Gamestop give away. It looks like Nintendo decided to not tell us that we'd be getting the European Wifi give away of the beasts over here in NA.

This week, you can download Raikou over Wi-Fi. Next week, Entei. Then, Suicune.
http://serebii.net/games/currentevents.shtml
Not at a point where I can check myself, so anyone mind my asking... can you still get these if you picked up the Gamestop ones, or do they count as the same and as such only allow you to get one or the other?

btkadams said:
ok, so i recently bought platinum and diamond (because they were lost before). i also have soul silver.

i have come to the conclusion that the following pokemon i can not obtain because they are event pokemon, require event items/pokemon to obtain, or are only available in the gba versions.

btw, i received mew as a mystery gift through nintendo so that's why i didn't include it. also, i realize some of the event pokemon are obtainable in the gba games but i put them as event because for the ds generation games i have that's how they are obtained.

Event Pokemon:
• Regigigas
• Regice
• Regirock
• Registeel

• Darkrai
• Shaymin
• Arceus

From old games:
Manaphy - from Pokemon Ranger
Deoxys - from Emerald/Fire Red/Leaf Green

what am i supposed to do to get these? any suggestions? i actually want to start trying to fill a pokedex this year with pokemon black/white so i'm not really wanting to trade away my lone legendaries to get these. how have others tried to get them?

People could trade them to you so you can get the data then you can trade them back, then after you have the pokemon data, if you want your own then you could trade for them on the GTS.

The Deoxys event was so long ago at gamestop, lol, wow.

Mank said:
Not at a point where I can check myself, so anyone mind my asking... can you still get these if you picked up the Gamestop ones, or do they count as the same and as such only allow you to get one or the other?

If you picked them up at gamestop then you cant do it as it will say you have already done this event. I just tried it.

Do we have a thread for trading pokemon? Or would we post trade requests here?

Honestly, I'm not looking to swap Shinys or Eggmoves or anything. I'm kind of being a lazy-ass and I just want to trade my way to a more complete pokedex.

Gravijah

Inferno313 said:
Do we have a thread for trading pokemon? Or would we post trade requests here?

Honestly, I'm not looking to swap Shinys or Eggmoves or anything. I'm kind of being a lazy-ass and I just want to trade my way to a more complete pokedex.

Here is fine.

Ok, not to be a dick. But I'll just post the list of everything I still need in the Johto Dex. Feel free to PM if you feel like helping me with any of them. And feel free to ridicule me for being lazy, as well. :p

Dewgong. Lickilicky. Tangrowth. Seadra. Kingdra. Pilowswine. Mamoswine. Donphan. Mantine. Rhydon. Houndoom. Macargo. Porygon. Porygon2. Blissy. Lapras. Omanyte. Omastar.
Kabuto. Kabutops. Ivysuar. Charmeleon. Wartortle. Blastoise. Dragonair. Dragonite. Pupitar.
Tyranitar.

I don't really have any shinies or rare things to give away, but I'll try to help you out with anything I can in return. Thanks.

Does anyone here have an extra, untouched Mew from the event they did last year? I didn't know that deleting the Wonder Card makes it so the guy in the PokeMart doesn't give you the Pokemon anymore. I feel stupid.

I have nothing really to give, BTW.

btkadams

so my team is all at level 60. i still have yet to beat the elite four a second time, and obviously haven't defeated
red
. will i get dominated if i go for the elite four? i really want to be able to beat them soon so i can train on those battles rather than wild encounters. what's a good level to have my team at to beat them without pulling my hair out during the battles and having to use max revives every turn?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
btkadams said:
so my team is all at level 60. i still have yet to beat the elite four a second time, and obviously haven't defeated
red
. will i get dominated if i go for the elite four? i really want to be able to beat them soon so i can train on those battles rather than wild encounters. what's a good level to have my team at to beat them without pulling my hair out during the battles and having to use max revives every turn?

70's would probably be best.

btkadams

Andrex said:
70's would probably be best.
ughhhhhhh haha. that's what i was afraid of! what's the best place to level up? right now im leveling up outside/inside mt. silver. the wild pokemon range from 39 to 44ish so it's going to take a while i guess.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
btkadams said:
ughhhhhhh haha. that's what i was afraid of! what's the best place to level up? right now im leveling up outside/inside mt. silver. the wild pokemon range from 39 to 44ish so it's going to take a while i guess.

I mean you could definitely do it with 60's, but you said you didn't want to use many items.

btkadams

Dedication Through Light said:
Just go on elite 4 suicide runs...
what do you mean? just play until i die and keep playing instead of resetting? do i keep all the experience and leveling up from the first couple trainers?

btkadams said:
what do you mean? just play until i die and keep playing instead of resetting? do i keep all the experience and leveling up from the first couple trainers?
you keep all the experience, you just lose money.

easy way of getting around that is by giving it all to Mom, so you don't actually have any money to lose. dunno if you can deposit money into Mom's bank though, an alternative is to blow your money on potions and shit.

btkadams said:

Yeah since they still give the most EXP, you just keep going as far as you can in the Elite 4 then when they defeat you. you just black out and lose money but keep all the experience, so it is still, I feel, faster than just training against wild pokemon. Further I would suggest using the amulet coin too, so then you can make a nice bit of money and then before going through again just buy tons of full restores and full heals.

In RBY I would spend all my money in fear that I would lose half. Even before fighting the E4 in Platinum I spend about 400k (I had 700k) buying coins from the Game Corner (man that took forever).

Azelf stop using Uproar kthx.

What's the best way to catch Mesprit? In HG/SS I had those houses in-between routes/towns that didn't count as "moving" so it was relatively easy to bike between two routes and wait for Raikou/Entei to show up nearby.

Mr. Sam

Do you get money from defeating the Elite 4? I was on the second battle with them, like, two months ago and got taken out by Lance's last Pokemon. Haven't played it since. I'd like to finally finish it.

Gravijah

Mr. Sam said:
Do you get money from defeating the Elite 4? I was on the second battle with them, like, two months ago and got taken out by Lance's last Pokemon. Haven't played it since. I'd like to finally finish it.

'Course you get money from defeating them.

Sanic

When I finish up Soul Silver at some point in the next couple months, do you guys recommend I play Platinum before moving on to Black/white? From my understanding, Platinum isn't really any kind of step back from SS so there probably isn't any reason for me to not give it a shot?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Pandoracell said:
When I finish up Soul Silver at some point in the next couple months, do you guys recommend I play Platinum before moving on to Black/white? From my understanding, Platinum isn't really any kind of step back from SS so there probably isn't any reason for me to not give it a shot?
If you don't think you'll be burned out on the singleplayer experience (every Pokemon game is more or less the same in that regard) then yeah, it's definitely worth picking up.

Sanic

Nah, I only play singleplayer, so that won't bother me.

What IS bothering me is my rival in Ecutreak city. I really need a fire type pokemon at this point. Anything in the area I could catch?

Mr. Sam

Christ, Lance used THREE full restores on his Garchomp. What the fuck! League champion my arse. He'd have been flattened immediately if Garchomp wasn't invulnerable to sandstorm. Now I have to go through the entire battle all over again. What a dick.

Ondore

Pandoracell said:
What IS bothering me is my rival in Ecutreak city. I really need a fire type pokemon at this point. Anything in the area I could catch?

Vulpix is on the route below Ecruteak, or if you can get downstairs past the rival you can get Magmar.

Aurora

I've always found it idiotic that you and the Elite 4 could use items during battle. It really took away from the intensity and just made it a chore when they'd spam Full Restores on their Pokes.

They should ban all items during the Elite 4 and just auto-restore your HP after each opponent. Makes much more sense to me.

I'd also like to see better AI. At the moment it's just a case of taking out Pokemon 1, then number 2, then 3... they very rarely ever switch them out. Then again, they use monotypes, which is another idiotic thing. They should have three of their Pokes on monotype, and another 3 to offset the inherent weaknesses. It would make for far more exciting battles and actually force you to employ strategy.

Anth0ny

Aurora said:
I've always found it idiotic that you and the Elite 4 could use items during battle. It really took away from the intensity and just made it a chore when they'd spam Full Restores on their Pokes.

They should ban all items during the Elite 4 and just auto-restore your HP after each opponent. Makes much more sense to me.

I'd also like to see better AI. At the moment it's just a case of taking out Pokemon 1, then number 2, then 3... they very rarely ever switch them out. Then again, they use monotypes, which is another idiotic thing. They should have three of their Pokes on monotype, and another 3 to offset the inherent weaknesses. It would make for far more exciting battles and actually force you to employ strategy.

Yeah, imagine if the elite 4 were actually elite?

I say save the fucking elemental shit for gyms, and once you reach the elite 4, it's time to face 4 beasts and then the champ.

Then there is a "red" in a cave post elite 4 with all level 100s. aww yeah.

parasight

Anth0ny said:
Yeah, imagine if the elite 4 were actually elite?

I say save the fucking elemental shit for gyms, and once you reach the elite 4, it's time to face 4 beasts and then the champ.

Then there is a "red" in a cave post elite 4 with all level 100s. aww yeah.

I disagree. Most of the Pokemon audience is casual and kids. Unless you want to implement a hard mode or something. To be honest, Elite 4 isn't a place to test your skill - it's just part of the story. In many games, story barriers aren't supposed to be super hard. Instead there's things like Battle Tower.

Pandoracell said:
Nah, I only play singleplayer, so that won't bother me.

you could use pokewalker to get magby

OMG Aero

I always thought it would be cool if they started basing either gyms or the elite four around strategies instead of type. Kind of like how Blue's team in HG/SS is like a trick room team.

Osuwari

i don't think anyone will do this but it doesn't hurt to ask.

does anyone have an Arceus they're willing to trade? i'd like to have one but so far the only event it had was one that was impossible for me to go to (such events don't exist in my country). so far that's the only pokemon i'm missing since i've got almost all others from various wifi events and trades.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Aurora said:
Red and Blue will actually switch out their Pokemon for counters in HGSS. But they're probably the only two who do it, as well as being the only two who have teams that are relatively powerful and versatile enough to do it well in the first place.

Sabrina successfully perish-trapped me with Wobbuffet once. Normally the AI doesn't switch until Perish Song's count drops to 1, but she switched out to Wobb ASAP and I just kind of stood there with my jaw to the floor for a moment.

Sanic

Following up somewhat on a question I asked earlier in the thread, is there any reason I would want to get Diamond/Pearl over Platinum?

beje

Banned
Pandoracell said:
Following up somewhat on a question I asked earlier in the thread, is there any reason I would want to get Diamond/Pearl over Platinum?

Maybe, maybe if you like the D/P clothes for the PCs instead of the Pt ones. Everything else is superior.

Wichu

Pandoracell said:
Sure, if you like a really slow battle system, less features and available Pokémon (especially legendaries), and slightly uglier graphics.

Seriously, the only advantage is that D/P are slightly cheaper, but probably not by much. Get Platinum if at all possible.

cvxfreak

Platinum made Diamond/Pearl virtually unplayable for me. That pair hasn't aged well at all. Meanwhile, I could easily go back and play either Ruby or Sapphire in spite of Emerald's existence.

Gravijah

beje said:
Maybe, maybe if you like the D/P clothes for the PCs instead of the Pt ones. Everything else is superior.

How could anyone prefer the DP clothes over Platinums? Winter clothing is so cuuuuuute!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
How could anyone prefer the DP clothes over Platinums? Winter clothing is so cuuuuuute!

I do. Dawn is OK in either (although a little too Christmas-y in Platinum) but Lucas looks ridiculous in Platinum compared to his DP clothes.

upandaway

Andrex said:
I do. Dawn is OK in either (although a little too Christmas-y in Platinum) but Lucas looks ridiculous in Platinum compared to his DP clothes.
Whoever would choose DP over Pt for this reason, would receive a kick from me over the internet.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
upandaway said:
Whoever would choose DP over Pt for this reason, would receive a kick from me over the internet.

Oh I'm not saying that at all. But I felt it was worth voicing my opinion on the one area where I think Platinum fell short. I did like Emerald's changes, if it's any consolation.

upandaway

Andrex said:
Oh I'm not saying that at all. But I felt it was worth voicing my opinion on the one area where I think Platinum fell short. I did like Emerald's changes, if it's any consolation.
I was just kidding, I can't kick over the internet.

Can't even kick that well in general.

Top Bottom