• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
IIRC, somebody in the Goldenrod dept store (or somewhere else in the city) will trade you a Machop for something. The Machop will be at the same level as the Pokemon you traded for it.

I don't remember what I used.

Ravidrath

I have all three Legendary Beasts now, and am taking "preorders" for distribution this weekend.

Coordinating these is actually pretty tough, so...

1. PM me your Friend Code
2. PM me a time you expect to be available
3. If you are on an IM service, please supply that contact info in the PM so we can set up in real time - going through GAF PMs is really clunky
4. Please try to give me something that doesn't suck - while I will take Bidoofs and other garbage-y things, this is a lot of work, so something interesting that you've bred or a TM or something would be most welcome​

Sanic

Sixfortyfive said:
IIRC, somebody in the Goldenrod dept store (or somewhere else in the city) will trade you a Machop for something. The Machop will be at the same level as the Pokemon you traded for it.

I don't remember what I used.

Thanks, i'll try to figure out where they're at.

I beat Whitney by evolving my Pokemon. Mareep and Cyndaquil weren't getting it done (around level 20), so I evolved them to Flaafy and Quilava, respectively.

OMG Aero said:
In every single Pokemon game I've gone through with a party of six by just keeping them at the same levels and if ever one gets over levelled, I stop using it in battles until the others catch up. The only games I have had to actually spend time grinding using this method are GSC/HGSS but that is because the levelling curve of those games are all over the place.

I only dont keep mine at near the same levels. Because I use the dragon pokemon immediately, its just more or less getting one to evolve then getting the next one. Then I always keep the pokemon I start with (usually Jolteon, due to trading) will grow pretty fast, then I get a legendary and spend time grinding them up to say 70 or so before taking on the elite 4. I always felt the games were too easy, I have no difficulty defeating the Elite 4.

I need to level grind the legendary dogs, with 5 of each one, its gonna take awhile to get them to 70 >.<

carlo6529

Dedication Through Light said:
I only dont keep mine at near the same levels. Because I use the dragon pokemon immediately, its just more or less getting one to evolve then getting the next one. Then I always keep the pokemon I start with (usually Jolteon, due to trading) will grow pretty fast, then I get a legendary and spend time grinding them up to say 70 or so before taking on the elite 4. I always felt the games were too easy, I have no difficulty defeating the Elite 4.

I need to level grind the legendary dogs, with 5 of each one, its gonna take awhile to get them to 70 >.<

It's cause your pokemon are high lvl. I beat elite 4 with my lvls at mid 40s to early 50s.

On another note, i managed to make it to mount silver today.

Major Spolers below~

Wasn't expecting to find Red a.k.a. Ash. It felt wrong defeating him. Definately felt the nostalgia from playing the original red version. What's the deal anyway, is he supposed to be a real character in the game? Or a figment of your imagination? He just disappears all weird like that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
carlo6529 said:
It's cause your pokemon are high lvl. I beat elite 4 with my lvls at mid 40s to early 50s.

Major Spolers below~

Wasn't expecting to find Red a.k.a. Ash. It felt wrong defeating him. Definately felt the nostalgia from playing the original red version. What's the deal anyway, is he supposed to be a real character in the game? Or a figment of your imagination? He just disappears all weird like that.

He's a real character, and he was who you played as in the first game. After he defeated Team Rocket and the Elite Four he went to Mt. Silver to train more. Remember all the references to "three years ago"? That was Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow.

carlo6529

Andrex said:
He's a real character, and he was who you played as in the first game. After he defeated Team Rocket and the Elite Four he went to Mt. Silver to train more. Remember all the references to "three years ago"? That was Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow.

That's what i figured at first but then i saw that video on youtube with the grass pokemon that can go through time and it is you that actually stops team rocket leader 3 years ago. Unless that event isn't the one that took place 3 years ago? I can't do this event anymore right?

On any note, Ash is legendary in my books when it comes to pokemon, at least when it comes to the games. Didnt feel right defeating him; he shouldn't of lost.

Can he be found again? Or is that it?

Also, if you go to his house in Pallet Town, his mother says she hasn't heard from him in years and she hopes he's okay. I always found it odd that there's no way to let her know where her son is after you beat him. smh @ stupid silent protagonists (the same reason Red doesn't have any dialogue).

Yes, you can refight Red as many times as you like. You just need to defeat the Elite 4 again for him to reappear in Mt. Silver.
carlo6529 said:
That's what i figured at first but then i saw that video on youtube with the grass pokemon that can go through time and it is you that actually stops team rocket leader 3 years ago. Unless that event isn't the one that took place 3 years ago? I can't do this event anymore right?

In the original Pokemon RBY, Red defeats Team Rocket and makes Giovanni go into hiding. Then Giovanni is defeated again in the special Celebi time-travel event before he can make his return.

The distribution of Celebi
(and thus the associated time-travel battle with Giovanni)
hasn't happened yet. It runs from February 21 to March 6 in North America.

carlo6529

Anyway, Pokemon Heart Gold, is the best pokemon I've played since the orginals in my opinion. I'm glad i purchased it later rather then never.

Gravijah

Ahem sir, we hope to see you in the Black/White thread at some point!

Speaking of... Does anyone know if they're going to do a new thread for the English release?

Anth0ny

Is it just me, or is it fucking impossible to get a female Combee? I swear my Ditto is the greatest poke-prostitute in all of Johto, but I can't seem to get a Combee no matter how hard I try. I just want a Vespiquen =(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anth0ny said:
Is it just me, or is it fucking impossible to get a female Combee? I swear my Ditto is the greatest poke-prostitute in all of Johto, but I can't seem to get a Combee no matter how hard I try. I just want a Vespiquen =(

I think I had the same problem. I think I got it eventually, just hang in there.

Gravijah said:
Ahem sir, we hope to see you in the Black/White thread at some point!

Speaking of... Does anyone know if they're going to do a new thread for the English release?

Not if Wiseblade has his way. >_>

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
Tell his ass to man up and let us have a separate English thread!

I thought the new rules were moving towards separate threads, anyway but I dunno.

Yeah well, take it up with him. I've already stated numerous times I'd love to take a crack at a Pokemon OT. I think my Android OT's at least show I'm competent.

SlickVic

Finally got around to beating Red today. Thought that would be an insanely difficult fight with his high level Pokemon but I just got sick of trying to grind and decided to take a crack at him with my current team. Wound up beating him in 1 try, go figure. Still a few things I want to do in SS before I'm completely done with it, but bring on Black/White.

Delio

Man thinking of giving up IV training and sticking to just Evs. I cant stand breeding eggs over and over to get semi decent ivs.

Delio

Metroid Killer said:
That's where I drew the line as well. It's just too OCD like for me :p

I just noticed when i started getting really deep into it i had to step back and just say nah. Ev training is enough for me.

carlo6529 said:

Major Spolers below~

Ah dont ever put Red in the same sentence as Ash...kid is vastly superior and cooler (manga form) jk...

I didnt think it was possible to beat the elite 4 at 40s to 50s. How many full restores and revives did you have to run through to accomplish that?

Wiseblade

Gravijah said:
Tell his ass to man up and let us have a separate English thread!

I thought the new rules were moving towards separate threads, anyway but I dunno.
I'd like to remind oyu the thread we're posting in right now was originally a JP release thread, same for the Platinum thread. :p

Not to mention I've kept the B/W OP updated with English names as they've become available...

Gravijah

Wiseblade said:
I'd like to remind oyu the thread we're posting in right now was originally a JP release thread, same for the Platinum thread. :p

Not to mention I've kept the B/W OP updated with English names as they've become available...

I won't be able to appreciate your work until after I beat B/W; I'm still in blackout mode and I don't even think I'm gonna touch the thread until after I beat the game!

carlo6529

Dedication Through Light said:
Ah dont ever put Red in the same sentence as Ash...kid is vastly superior and cooler (manga form) jk...

I didnt think it was possible to beat the elite 4 at 40s to 50s. How many full restores and revives did you have to run through to accomplish that?

I used a few of them but that is what they are there for though. Like every other battle, it is all about have the right pokemon and move sets.

I used to be just like you where I would grind the lvls of my pokemon so high, that I didn't have to use any items and nothing could stop me.

I've lost a little of patience though since the earlier versions of the game.

I got a female Combee in the Bug Catching Contest. I didn't win but it was worth it.

I think it's 87.5% male? Same as Eevee IIRC.

Also Cynthia is ridiculous in Platinum. Her Garchomp :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Vox-Pop said:
What is the best free guide for the gold version?

Smogon.

mVPem.jpg

Insane battle against Cynthia. My Pokemon were level 53-ish while hers were high-50's/low-60's, so the only way I could beat her was with items. Luckily I had one of every stat-boosting battle item so I decided to boost my Gliscor, who was the fastest member on my team and could also Swords Dance.

I knew she would lead with Spiritomb and Gliscor isn't specially defensive so I led with my pseudo-special wall Togekiss. I put it to sleep with Yawn and Wish-passed to Gliscor.

I used X Attack/Sp.Def/Defense/Speed on Gliscor. Spiritomb woke up and used Shadow Ball, getting a crit and a SpD drop. Gliscor survived with 10% HP.

I started Swords Dancing (and using potions) and got two boosts in while Spiritomb whittled me down and got another SpD drop with Shadow Ball. With 10% HP left I decided to go for it. Earthquake OHKO'ed.

Next up, Milotic. Earthquake OHKO'ed.

Next was Togekiss. Uh-oh. +4 Aerial Ace won't OHKO but I went for it anyway; did about 2/3. Air Slash missed.

Now Garchomp. Earthquake almost OHKO'ed. Dragon Rush missed.

Roserade was a OHKO with Aerial Ace.

Finally, Lucario. Thinking I was home free, I selected Earthquake, only to get hit with Extremespeed. Whoops.

I switched around with Luxray and my HM slave Staravia's Intimidate to lower his Attack and then used Togekiss to Yawn and Air Slash it. Victory!

Wiseblade

Lone_Prodigy said:
Insane battle against Cynthia. My Pokemon were level 53-ish while hers were high-50's/low-60's, so the only way I could beat her was with items. Luckily I had one of every stat-boosting battle item so I decided to boost my Gliscor, who was the fastest member on my team and could also Swords Dance.

I knew she would lead with Spiritomb and Gliscor isn't specially defensive so I led with my pseudo-special wall Togekiss. I put it to sleep with Yawn and Wish-passed to Gliscor.

I used X Attack/Sp.Def/Defense/Speed on Gliscor. Spiritomb woke up and used Shadow Ball, getting a crit and a SpD drop. Gliscor survived with 10% HP.

I started Swords Dancing (and using potions) and got two boosts in while Spiritomb whittled me down and got another SpD drop with Shadow Ball. With 10% HP left I decided to go for it. Earthquake OHKO'ed.

Next up, Milotic. Earthquake OHKO'ed.

Next was Togekiss. Uh-oh. +4 Aerial Ace won't OHKO but I went for it anyway; did about 2/3. Air Slash missed.

Now Garchomp. Earthquake almost OHKO'ed. Dragon Rush missed.

Roserade was a OHKO with Aerial Ace.

Finally, Lucario. Thinking I was home free, I selected Earthquake, only to get hit with Extremespeed. Whoops.

I switched around with Luxray and my HM slave Staravia's Intimidate to lower his Attack and then used Togekiss to Yawn and Air Slash it. Victory!

Gliscor is actually beastly in Gen 4. My Jolly 27/31/31/x/x/31 Gliscor is my greatest breeding acheivement.

Ravidrath

Ravidrath said:
I have all three Legendary Beasts now, and am taking "preorders" for distribution this weekend.

Coordinating these is actually pretty tough, so...

1. PM me your Friend Code
2. PM me a time you expect to be available
3. If you are on an IM service, please supply that contact info in the PM so we can set up in real time - going through GAF PMs is really clunky
4. Please try to give me something that doesn't suck - while I will take Bidoofs and other garbage-y things, this is a lot of work, so something interesting that you've bred or a TM or something would be most welcome​

Giving these out this weekend, so PM me if interested.

woodypop

So I got Shiny Raikou and Shiny Entei from Gamestop a few weeks back. Today I went to Toys R Us and got Pikachu. But when I went to Gamestop to get Shiny Suicune, my DS said I couldn't! Something about running out of Wonder Cards or somesuch.

What gives?!

(I'm playing Heartgold, and it's my first Pokemon game, btw.)

woodypop said:
So I got Shiny Raikou and Shiny Entei from Gamestop a few weeks back. Today I went to Toys R Us and got Pikachu. But when I went to Gamestop to get Shiny Suicune, my DS said I couldn't! Something about running out of Wonder Cards or somesuch.

What gives?!

(I'm playing Heartgold, and it's my first Pokemon game, btw.)

The kiosk or paper tells you how to delete wonder cards as you can only have so many at one time. (connect to wifi, wonder card, discard)

Axion22

I've never seen a kiosk :(

You only have 3 wonder card slots, which trigger the mystery gift in the game. Once you've collected the mystery gift for a corresponding wonder card, you don't need it anymore.

You have to go in to "Check card" to get to the "trash card" option. I didn't realize that my first time.

Any word on the European Wifi shiny beast event(s)? I totally skipped the Gamestop event(s) so I want to know if the U.S. can get the European Wifi stuff like we did in the past.

damn DQ9 and MH3 have occupied my attention so I still need to RNG like 3 different things before Celebi hits too :(

Wichu

Little Green Yoda said:
Any word on the European Wifi shiny beast event(s)? I totally skipped the Gamestop event(s) so I want to know if the U.S. can get the European Wifi stuff like we did in the past.

damn DQ9 and MH3 have occupied my attention so I still need to RNG like 3 different things before Celebi hits too :(
Don't they start tomorrow? The US has been able to get all the UK events so far (I think they're just English language game events; I don't think they can make a Mystery Gift specific to certain versions if they're the same language), so you should be fine.

OMG Aero

Little Green Yoda said:

Although we don't know for certain if the US can get the European events, they have been able to in the past so I would expect you to be able to do it.
The dates for the European events are:
Raikou: 7th to the 13th
Entei: 14th to the 20th
Suicune: 21st to the 27th

ASIS

omg.kittens said:
I'm replaying Sapphire right now, and it sucks hard. Such a terrible selection of Pokemon. And oh my god, Team Aqua are so damn inane, haha.

Edit: And WAY TOO MANY HMs HOLY CRAP.
It also had the best locations for legendary pokemon, Double battles (say what you will, I enjoyed them), and Dive (I love water so you can guess why I loved RSE).

I dunno, I love the third generation.

Gravijah

Nintendo-4Life said:
It also had the best locations for legendary pokemon, Double battles (say what you will, I enjoyed them), and Dive (I love water so you can guess why I loved RSE).

I dunno, I love the third generation.

RSE is awesome, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Sagitario

OMG Aero said:
Although we don't know for certain if the US can get the European events, they have been able to in the past so I would expect you to be able to do it.
The dates for the European events are:
Raikou: 7th to the 13th
Entei: 14th to the 20th
Suicune: 21st to the 27th

US games can access European wi-fi events? :O
How?
I don't live in USA, so that would be great.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OK, I missed out on the shiny Suicune event. If anyone could help me out, that'd be great. I have tons of other legends (lake trio, Regigigas, dragon trio, others) I could trade, as well as two extra shiny Enteis. However, I gave away my two extra Raikous here on GAF so I can't trade that. Any help would be appreciated.

Ravidrath

Andrex said:
OK, I missed out on the shiny Suicune event. If anyone could help me out, that'd be great. I have tons of other legends (lake trio, Regigigas, dragon trio, others) I could trade, as well as two extra shiny Enteis. However, I gave away my two extra Raikous here on GAF so I can't trade that. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm still distributing, so hit me up in PM and we'll make it happen this weekend.

Top Bottom