• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Wiseblade

OMG Aero said:
Oh, I got mistaken about the species clause since you said Wiseblade could have two Pikachus.
Also I'm pretty sure Stadium, Colosseum and Battle Revolution use the item clause as standard and Nintendo usually uses them in their tournaments.
I find that the item clause makes matches less boring since usually people just use 6 sets of leftovers or put focus band/sashes on everything.
Item clause isn't going to stop any of those things from happening. There's no point in using it other than to annoy people. PBR doesn't have it as standard, BTW.

SlickVic

Heh Soul Silver is now $32.54 vs. $34.99 for Heart Gold on Amazon. I was leaning towards Heart Gold (for nostalgia sake since I bought Gold back in the day) but if these prices stay till I get my GoWIII promo credit, gonna have to go with Soul Silver on this.

Galang

Banned
March is so packed with releases unfortunately, I'm going to miss out on a lot because of money. Figures that almost every RPG I was interested in came out between February and March.:lol

Square Triangle said:
Of SS and HG, HeartGold is def. the underdog.

I'm actually considering to purchase a DS myself for this new Pokemon. Question is..do I get a Lite or a DSi or a new DSi XL? :lol I hate you multiple skus!

So many indeed. I always end up buying every SKU somehow, but I love my DSi.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Square Triangle said:
Of SS and HG, HeartGold is def. the underdog.

I'm actually considering to purchase a DS myself for this new Pokemon. Question is..do I get a Lite or a DSi or a new DSi XL? :lol I hate you multiple skus!

If you plan to transfer pokemons from the GBA games, then I'd suggest a DS Lite.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
bernardobri said:
If you plan to transfer pokemons from the GBA games, then I'd suggest a DS Lite.
Yeah, but this only really holds true if you're an absolute Pokemon nut and really really need to have this feature.

Considering all of the event Pokemon that have been distributed over the past few years, it's only a matter of time before you no longer need any GBA carts to catch them all.

dani_dc

Figure this might be the best place to ask.

Anyone knows if an European version of Diamond/Pearl would work to get Jirachi on Gamestop?

Magni

dani_dc said:

Anyone knows if an European version of Diamond/Pearl would work to get Jirachi on Gamestop?

You can try. My US copy of Platinum wasn't able to get Arceus at GAME (in France).

MagniHarvald said:
You can try. My US copy of Platinum wasn't able to get Arceus at GAME (in France).
Ok I guess this means that I most likely wont be able to get Arceus at Gamestop here in Denmark with my Japanese Heart Gold :(

dani_dc said:

Will definetly work, as Wiseblade said I have used my american copies in the uk to receive all the special pokemon from instore events (darkrai, shaymin and regigigas)

The only one I had a problem with was shaymin, I tried to get one on american platinum but it wouldnt work, the game wasn't out in the uk yet so I assume thats why.

Fuuuuu I'm pretty much wasting hours on the Battle Tower in Battle Frontier. Ugh I've lost so many times in the 3rd round which meant that I used around an hour on 6 points only... ;_;

And fuck if my luck is just completely against me. Confused? Damage self again and again! Critical hits? No way, only for the opponment! I've lost two times against Palmer, where his last pokemon was down on around 50< HP left.... *sigh*

Feels like such a waste of time, though I admit that my battlin skills improve a lot.

mjc

Does the Pokewalker make noises all the time, or is it silent? I would consider carrying it around with me but I'm not going to if it makes a bunch of beeping noises.

mjc said:
Does the Pokewalker make noises all the time, or is it silent? I would consider carrying it around with me but I'm not going to if it makes a bunch of beeping noises.
You can toggle sound off

Fucking just lost in the 3rd round again... anger rising!

Wiseblade

Metroid Killer said:
Fucking just lost in the 3rd round again... anger rising!

You tight want to try a Starmie with Surf/Thunderbolt/Ice beam/Recover. Fast and strong enough to OHKO most things in rounds 1-4, a decent level of toughness and can sweep Palmer's team single handedly.

POWERSPHERE said:
Pokemon design beyond the first game is fucking ridiculously shit.

Oh man, not this again...

POWERSPHERE said:
Pokemon design beyond the first game is fucking ridiculously shit.
I can kinda understand where you are coming from, since I also had the same sentiment before picking up Heart Gold(only played Red), but after playing the game I've made a 180 degree turn and accepted the new designs. Besides a few awful designs(but gen1 had some as well) I really think it's the nostalgia talking.

Wiseblade said:
You tight want to try a Starmie with Surf/Thunderbolt/Ice beam/Recover. Fast and strong enough to OHKO most things in rounds 1-4, a decent level of toughness and can sweep Palmer's team single handedly.
Yeah I might want to do that later, but I just don't have the patience to raise a starmie up to lvl 50 now. And I've gathered 70 Battle Points just from getting lots of 3 BP today. If I had the needed BP right now I would probably never come back to Battle Frontier.

red shoe paul said:
I say we keep up with each other once a week on how many steps taken with your Pokewalker. It could be fun. :D
575268 steps... and I only got 26.000 watts collected... 74.000 to go...

The PokeWalker is an awesome addition to the games, but it's absolutely crazy how much Watt that is needed for the later stages!

EzLink

Banned
red shoe paul said:
I say we keep up with each other once a week on how many steps taken with your Pokewalker. It could be fun. :D

I was excited about the Pokewalker until someone mentioned you can only level your poke up 1 level per walk. And then you have to transfer it back to your game and back to the pokewalker if you want to be able to walk enough to gain another level. Sounds like typical Nintendo making things an unnecessary pain in the ass :(

But if someone could clarify exactly how this works, that might be good. Hopefully I'm missing something

Thought it was going to be day one for me, but no... Will have to wait until 20/03 or so. :'(

The official Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver thread.

:lol

AGREED!

EzLink said:
But if someone could clarify exactly how this works, that might be good. Hopefully I'm missing something
No that's pretty much how it works. 1 step = 1exp point, but can only gain 1 lvl and then you'll have to take it out and in again in order for it to gain more exp. Also pokemon don't learn moves/evolve/get EV stats, so it's pretty much just like giving your 'mon rare candy.

For me the Walker is great because it's easy(kinda) access to uncommon pokemon and items in the world of pokemon games which has been really great for my experience.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yay amazon!

amazon.jpg

They updated my price to reflect the drop after an email, I have had a gold box discount since November, I had an ECA code in there too, and also applied the $5 gift certificate they just gave me after doing a survey on there Paypharse a few weeks back.

EzLink said:
I was excited about the Pokewalker until someone mentioned you can only level your poke up 1 level per walk. And then you have to transfer it back to your game and back to the pokewalker if you want to be able to walk enough to gain another level. Sounds like typical Nintendo making things an unnecessary pain in the ass :(

Its pal park 6 pokemon a day trade all over again! Nintendo love it.

OMG Aero said:
Is it bad that I want to get 6 Pokewalkers and carry my party on my belt like a true Pokemon master?

Haha thats awesome, technically im going to have 1 from my SS japanese version, 1 from my american HG and 1 from my Euro SS.

I never even thought about it till now.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
OMG Aero said:
Is it bad that I want to get 6 Pokewalkers and carry my party on my belt like a true Pokemon master?
Well, you can just hope Nintendo doesn't charge to much for replacement walkers. Though you may run into the problem of the game only letting you put one pokemon on a walker at a time.

Also, I am sure gamestop will take the walkers in by them selves, so maybe they will sell them back cheaply.

Drkirby said:
Well, you can just hope Nintendo doesn't charge to much for replacement walkers. Though you may run into the problem of the game only letting you put one pokemon on a walker at a time.

Also, I am sure gamestop will take the walkers in by them selves, so maybe they will sell them back cheaply.
If I recall to get a new pokewalker costs half of the game's price in japan, and only 1 pokewalker can be connected to your game.

damn still can't decide on which to get

I want gold cause I already have a Lugia from a trade but Silver has Groudon and I already have a Kyogre in my D/Plat file

ExtraKr1spy said:

I want gold cause I already have a Lugia from a trade but Silver has Groudon and I already have a Kyogre in my D/Plat file
Lugia and Ho-oh are in both games you know. It's only Kyogre and Groudon that are legendary version exclusives.

I got the Japanese Soul Silver, so I'm gonna have to go Gold for the UK release. =)

Will I be able to get my Spiky Eared Pichu from my Japanese Silver to my UK Gold, or will it not transfer at all?

Android18a said:
I got the Japanese Soul Silver, so I'm gonna have to go Gold for the UK release. =)

Will I be able to get my Spiky Eared Pichu from my Japanese Silver to my UK Gold, or will it not transfer at all?
Spiky Eared Pichu can't be transfer by any means whatsoever, no matter region or lanuage.

OMG Aero

ExtraKr1spy said:

You can catch both Lugia and Ho-Oh on any version.
The only version exclusive legendaries are Groudon and Kyogre so I'd go with Silver if you really want Groudon.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
So is the Gold/Silver debate purely a matter of preference/nostalgia or is there an actual superior version of the two?

Sagitario

OMG Aero said:
You can catch both Lugia and Ho-Oh on any version.
The only version exclusive legendaries are Groudon and Kyogre so I'd go with Silver if you really want Groudon.

Aren't Latios and Latias exclusive on each version too?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Sagitario said:
Aren't Latios and Latias exclusive on each version too?
One is available normally. The key item used to obtain the other will be distributed via wi-fi eventually.

MattKeil said:
So is the Gold/Silver debate purely a matter of preference/nostalgia or is there an actual superior version of the two?

Its a mixture really, most people prefer lugia over ho oh tho so silver is classed as the more popular version.

OMG Aero

MattKeil said:
It's definitely a case of preference and nostalgia. Let's be honest here, they are the same game.

The only difference is exclusive Pokemon but the list of them is so small and the Pokemon in the list aren't good enough to justify buying one game over the other, especially with online trading.

Balb

kyo_daikun said:
Its a mixture really, most people prefer lugia over ho oh tho so silver is classed as the more popular version.

In all fairness, Ho-oh and Lugia are in both games. It's just a matter of whether you want Sacred Fire Ho-Oh (Heart Gold) or Aeroblast Lugia (Soul Silver).

Lugia is more popular, though I think that's because Pokemon the Movie 2000 hyped Lugia up a lot before g/s came out.

It's definitely a matter of nostalgia. The carts aren't even colored anymore, so it's not like you can be a proud owner of a gold colored cartridge or something like that.

Top Bottom