• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Bentendo

OMG Aero said:
Is it bad that I want to get 6 Pokewalkers and carry my party on my belt like a true Pokemon master?

Holy crap! I was reading the Iwata Asks and look what came up!:

Ishihara said:
Right. The style for a Pokémon Trainer is to clip three of these Poké Balls on the left and right side of their belts. The Pokéwalker has pretty much ended up looking exactly like these which makes me want to clip on six and walk around with them!

Source

:lol

DuckRacer

Sixfortyfive said:
One is available normally. The key item used to obtain the other will be distributed via wi-fi eventually.
Do you mean people can just connect to, say, a wi-fi store on their HG/SS copy at home and get the item, or are you talking about those shitty Pokemon wi-fi stations in stores?

DuckRacer said:
Do you mean people can just connect to, say, a wi-fi store on their HG/SS copy at home and get the item, or are you talking about those shitty Pokemon wi-fi stations in stores?

It will most likely be a home download as it is just the item rather than the actual pokemon itself (the pokemon in the cherish balls are always store events)

OMG Aero said:
It's definitely a case of preference and nostalgia. Let's be honest here, they are the same game.
Thread says Soul Silver is superior, how can you say they are the same?

One has Lugia, the other Ho-Oh, do not provoke me.

upandaway

Balb said:
In all fairness, Ho-oh and Lugia are in both games. It's just a matter of whether you want Sacred Fire Ho-Oh (Heart Gold) or Aeroblast Lugia (Soul Silver).
Whoooooa? Silver's Ho-Oh doesn't have Sacred Fire?

Well shit. I need to convince someone to buy Heart Gold.

Hex

Banned
This is going to be a dumb question most likely, but as much as I am having fun in Platinum and will have fun in Soul Silver there is still alot of the meta game that I do not get.
Natures, "shiny" pokemon and eggs, which abilities are the keepers etc etc.
Is there any noob guide site to Pokemon or that kind of thing?

Metroid Killer said:
No that's pretty much how it works. 1 step = 1exp point, but can only gain 1 lvl and then you'll have to take it out and in again in order for it to gain more exp. Also pokemon don't learn moves/evolve/get EV stats, so it's pretty much just like giving your 'mon rare candy.

For me the Walker is great because it's easy(kinda) access to uncommon pokemon and items in the world of pokemon games which has been really great for my experience.

Guess i'll have to be taking my DS with me places now in my pocket just in case. Does it alert you on the Pokewalker that you need to switch it out and back or anything? I haven't read anything up on it, and definitely want to be good to go and know what I'm doing as soon as I get it.

Wanace

So stoked about this game! I'm getting Heart Gold, since I had Silver on GBC so long ago.

I just bought a DSi so I can hook up my DSLite and trade all my Pokemon over from all my GBA games and Diamond and Platinum.

I'm still missing Darkrai and Arceus though. I think I have all the other Pokemon. I just missed out on those two events :(

Wiseblade

Fumetsu said:
This is going to be a dumb question most likely, but as much as I am having fun in Platinum and will have fun in Soul Silver there is still alot of the meta game that I do not get.
Natures, "shiny" pokemon and eggs, which abilities are the keepers etc etc.
Is there any noob guide site to Pokemon or that kind of thing?

One of us...
One of us...
One of us...

One of us...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm thinking of typing up a competitive battling primer to go along with the tournament thread that should be posted by Monday. It's kind of hard to be comprehensive without also being overwhelming, though.

Speaking of which, if you plan on participating but haven't already read and commented on the tournament rules, try to get around to that.

One thing that crossed my mind is that some sort of glitch policy should probably be specified, just in case. I'm thinking of the "Acid Weather" glitch in particular here (description, video). Right now, my suggested solution is to just ban Castform and Cherrim to prevent complete game lock-ups, and just have the players play through like normal if the glitch is ever activated.

OMG Aero

Sixfortyfive said:
I'm thinking of typing up a competitive battling primer to go along with the tournament thread that should be posted by Monday. It's kind of hard to be comprehensive without also being overwhelming, though.

Speaking of which, if you plan on participating but haven't already read and commented on the tournament rules, try to get around to that.

One thing that crossed my mind is that some sort of glitch policy should probably be specified, just in case. I'm thinking of the "Acid Weather" glitch in particular here (description, video). Right now, my suggested solution is to just ban Castform and Cherrim to prevent complete game lock-ups, and just have the players play through like normal if the glitch is ever activated.
I don't think there is any danger of people using those two.

Wiseblade

Sixfortyfive said:

I don't think you'll need more than a guide on EVs and competitive movesets.

Fine, it's doubtful anyone would want to use them anyway.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
kyo_daikun said:
My SS cartridge is black tho, looks pretty cool (its not the normal grey colour)

I think the gold is on a black cart as well.

That's because they use the PokeWalker. Personal Trainer: Walking also had a black cart.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So anyone else popping along to GAME in Oxford Street tomorrow?

If all else fails, I going there in the place of my "younger cousin".

Wiseblade

BGBW said:
So anyone else popping along to GAME in Oxford Street tomorrow?

If all else fails, I going there in the place of my "younger cousin".
Yep :D London Poke-GAF meet up? I'll be going on behalf of my "little brother" :lol

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm a little surprised that after two hours of gameplay, I can't find a single enhancement in the game engine from D/P. But I do the like the Pokemon designs more and the world seems more interesting. Diamond was my first Pokemon game btw.

TaKeRx

Mutagenic said:
I'm a little surprised that after two hours of gameplay, I can't find a single enhancement in the game engine from D/P. But I do the like the Pokemon designs more and the world seems more interesting. Diamond was my first Pokemon game btw.
well so far i like the fact that you can run without holding "B".

Lkr

Just got home with SS. Quick question - can I use wifi mystery event with this, or do I have to use D/P/Pt? I don't have 2 DS systems any more :(

Zilch

Banned
I didn't preorder the game but I do live in NYC and I'm wondering if I can get it anywhere in the city on Sunday or Monday. Any ideas?

Zilch

Banned
Oh I know, I was wondering if it's possible to get the game that early (Sun/Mon) or if I'd have to wait til Wednesday like I used to have to in the city I used to live in.

Did someone already mention the Sunday Times Square Toys R Us Launch party (link) and the Nintendo World tournaments (see below) a week later?

Join us on Saturday, March 20th from 10am-2pm to celebrate the latest Pokémon release for the Nintendo DS. Bring in your Pokémon HeartGold or SoulSilver Version games (or Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, or Pokémon Platinum Version) and get ready for a day of Pokémon battling, trading, and all-around Pokémon fun! Our Nintendo World Pokémon Ambassadors will be on hand to accept challenges, or answer any questions you might have! Even Pikachu will be there! You can also try out the new Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver Versions on one of our many Nintendo DS systems! Make sure to come early as we'll have fun giveaways, but only while supplies last!

I might go to both...

Zilch said:
I didn't preorder the game but I do live in NYC and I'm wondering if I can get it anywhere in the city on Sunday or Monday. Any ideas?
If all else fails, Nintendo World seems to always have games/systems available.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Lkr said:
Just got home with SS. Quick question - can I use wifi mystery event with this, or do I have to use D/P/Pt? I don't have 2 DS systems any more :(
I'm wondering this too, since I no longer have my Diamond copy. Let me know what you find out.

Lkr

Mutagenic said:
I'm wondering this too, since I no longer have my Diamond copy. Let me know what you find out.
Yeah, I need to figure out how to get mystery gift in soul silver too haha

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Lkr said:
Where did you get it this early?

Shiggie

Mutagenic said:
Seriously?

Mutagenic
Permanent Junior Member
(Today, 06:58 PM)
Reply | Quote

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Someone in Seattle tell me where a "mom and pop" store is. :)

Gravijah

Gamer @ Heart said:
Does anyone know how Wlamart stocks their shelves? Do you think i can roll in there at 1 in the morning on sunday and pick it up?

Honestly, it's up to each individual store. The local Wal Mart sometimes has games in the morning when they come out, yet once I had to wait a week for them to stock SF4.

(GameStop/etc are far as hell, plus I have family that work at Wal Mart so the 10% discount is nice.)

SlickVic

Zilch said:
Oh I know, I was wondering if it's possible to get the game that early (Sun/Mon) or if I'd have to wait til Wednesday like I used to have to in the city I used to live in.

The release date is Sunday (like most big release Nintendo games) so just about any store selling games should have it then. Though I think the only store that has a deal on it (outside Amazon) is Target with some $5 gift card I think.

RyanDG

This may be a really dumb question - but my wife got the Jirachi thingy event from Gamestop and is wanting to bring it into her Soul Silver game when she gets it. The problem is we only have one DS. Has Nintendo facilitated a way to transfer your own pokemon from Diamond -> Soul Silver without a second DS - or is my wife's Jirachi doomed to be on her Diamond game? :p

Balb

RyanDG said:
This may be a really dumb question - but my wife got the Jirachi thingy event from Gamestop and is wanting to bring it into her Soul Silver game when she gets it. The problem is we only have one DS. Has Nintendo facilitated a way to transfer your own pokemon from Diamond -> Soul Silver without a second DS - or is my wife's Jirachi doomed to be on her Diamond game? :p

You can try trading online with someone here, but there isn't a way to trade using one DS.

Top Bottom