• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

darthbob

SaintZ said:
Yay, Pikachu-colored Pichu get!

BTW, what are the chances of getting Jirachi through Wi-Fi too? I really want one but I have take a bus and make an 8 hour trip to the store that's giving them out on weekend to get it and it would be a lot easier just to wait instead...

Probably low, since it's a GameStop 'exclusive'.

ReiGun

MagniHarvald said:
The remakes came out last year...

(Or Gen V is coming next year if you're talking outside of Japan :lol )
Well you know what I mean dude. :lol Long story short, a year between two big, main pokemon games is cra-ray-zzzzzzzzzzy.:lol

And looking at new gold character design is making think I'm gonna be playing as the girl again as I just pick the design I like better. I miss Gen three's dude :/.

Poyunch

seady said:
Which version did you guys own back in the days and which one you are getting now?
Silver -> Crystal -> Soul Silver

Lugia > Ho-Oh.
I'm not kidding when I'm saying that I almost typed out Luigi in that statement.

I have a question regarding wild pokemon vs. trained pokemon. At the same level a trained pokemon will also be stronger, because it has been EV trained, correct?

For example, I can catch a lvl 42 Chansey in the safari zone, but it wont be as strong if I chose to breed a new Chansey and train it from lvl 1 to 42.

My question then is, how big is the difference, would some of you consider the wild lvl 42 Chansey useless? Or can you quickly EV train it to a better standard?

Wiseblade

Metroid Killer said:
I have a question regarding wild pokemon vs. trained pokemon. At the same level a trained pokemon will also be stronger, because it has been EV trained, correct?

For example, I can catch a lvl 42 Chansey in the safari zone, but it wont be as strong if I chose to breed a new Chansey and train it from lvl 1 to 42.

My question then is, how big is the difference, would some of you consider the wild lvl 42 Chansey useless? Or can you quickly EV train it to a better standard?

It doesn't matter when you EV train a pokemon the stats at level 100 will be the same. It just means that the lvl 42 chansey will get a ridiculous stat boost at level 43 to catch up.

grandjedi6 said:
Awesome, I now have a "Pikachu colored Pichu".... what the hell do I do with this?
If you bring your special Pichu to Ilex Forest in HG/SS you'll get a spikey-eared-pichu.

You can evolve your PCP if you want and you will still be able to get the SEP.

Somnid

darthbob said:
Yes, but unlike in Japan, that Shiny Pichu was the first Event Pokemon to be distributed via Nintendo WFC.

They also did Darkrai (Gamestop Exclusive) and Shaymin over NWFC.

TaKeRx

Well, I have Pokemon Saphire and about to get Heart Gold. thing is that I would need a Groudon to complete the Pokedex and I've heard that you can get Groundon through Soul Silver only. Anybody would want to trade their Ruby Groundon for my Sapphire Kyogre? Let me know

But those event had the "for Platinum gamers only" (or at least that is what the PR lead me to believe) thing going on (why was that, I understand some of them are Platinum exclusive items but given I just got the Pichu fine on my DP copy it seems it isn't a version incompatibility)

Balb

Kad5 said:
So should I preorder Soul Silver? I never preordered Platinum and I was still able to get it easily.

Stores always order tons and tons of copies of Pokemon games, so if your only worry is the stores having enough copies, you don't need to pre-order. You'd only need to pre-order if you wanted the lugia figurine people get when they pre-order SS.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
darthbob said:
Looks like distributed ITEMS, not Pokemans.

But I'm just being anal now.
That page includes Sky Jirachi, Mew and Pikachu colored Pichu.

So I'm wondering, which of the starters are people going for? I'm thinking I'll go for Totodile, since neither of the others really does it for me.

Any underused, often-overlooked or uncommonly-encountered monsters I should look out for? I'm largely ignorant of the ins and outs of a lot of the Gen 2 monsters.

jrricky

Banned
WTFWTFWTFWTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant find my Platinum just days before Heart Gold hits the streets. Damn it, I got both pichu and Jirachi at gamestop on it, plus it had all the special event pokemon on it too. I have a feeling that I lost (some1 stole it) it when I brought my game to work a few days ago. :/

vhfive

jrricky said:
WTFWTFWTFWTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant find my Platinum just days before Heart Gold hits the streets. Damn it, I got both pichu and Jirachi at gamestop on it, plus it had all the special event pokemon on it too. I have a feeling that I lost (some1 stole it) it when I brought my game to work a few days ago. :/
I'm the complete opposite. I just found my copy that I lost about 4 months ago (it was in my fall jacket)

kyo_daikun said:
Me too, hopefully europe wont be forgotten about, also 5 days till I go to pick up my Arceus!
Ugh I tried (again) to get an Arceus yesterday. Last time I thought they would be nice at ToysRus and give one to me without having to preorder the game. Then yesterday I went to a Gamestop and tried downloading without talking to any staff, but no luck :(

You do get it wireless, right? So either they had the signal turned off, or either it can't be downloaded to HeartGold?

Metroid Killer said:
Ugh I tried (again) to get an Arceus yesterday. Last time I thought they would be nice at ToysRus and give one to me without having to preorder the game. Then yesterday I went to a Gamestop and tried downloading without talking to any staff, but no luck :(

You do get it wireless, right? So either they had the signal turned off, or either it can't be downloaded to HeartGold?

Arceus event was held ages ago in america (december/january time and is over now so unless someone trades you one its not possible to obtain anymore)

Im going to a store in the uk as they are finally holding events here, imagine its taken 3 years to get all of the pokemon in DP! :lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
viciouskillersquirrel said:
So I'm wondering, which of the starters are people going for? I'm thinking I'll go for Totodile, since neither of the others really does it for me.

Any underused, often-overlooked or uncommonly-encountered monsters I should look out for? I'm largely ignorant of the ins and outs of a lot of the Gen 2 monsters.

I'm starting with Cyndaquil, probably. Totodile is actually my least favorite, heh.

I'm not a Pokiemanses expert or anything, but when I had Silver, I remember Mareep (sheep-looking Pokémon) was awesome — that is, what it evolved into, Ampharos, was awesome. Sneasel is pretty good, too — high speed but shitty defense IIRC.

Mareep - Flaaffy - Ampharos are Lightning Electric types, BTW. Sneasel is a Darkness/Ice type and doesn't evolve.

uhhhhh, lessee... oh, Swinub (evolves into Piloswine) is pretty sweet, too. It's an Ice/Ground type, so it can learn some pretty cool combinations of moves. I believe it has a fuckton of HP, too.

kyo_daikun said:
Arceus event was held ages ago in america (december/january time and is over now so unless someone trades you one its not possible to obtain anymore)

Im going to a store in the uk as they are finally holding events here, imagine its taken 3 years to get all of the pokemon in DP! :lol
No I live in Denmark where they are holding the Arceus event as well.

Metroid Killer said:
No I live in Denmark where they are holding the Arceus event as well.

Ah righty, well in the uk the first event is being held this weekend, guess you would have to check the stores website to see when they are doing it.

Guys i need some pokemon advice.
Ive got some spare time on my hands and im thinking about watching the pokemon anime.

I watched the start of it ages ago when i was a kid but thats it.
Ive checked and there are hundreds of episodes, should i go for it?
Maybe if i did 10 a day i could get through it pretty quick.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
TheVampire said:
Guys i need some pokemon advice.
Ive got some spare time on my hands and im thinking about watching the pokemon anime.

I watched the start of it ages ago when i was a kid but thats it.
Ive checked and there are hundreds of episodes, should i go for it?
Maybe if i did 10 a day i could get through it pretty quick.

I'm not sure it's worth it after the first season. The quality goes downhill after that. I mean they're fun to watch now and again these days, they're not terrible, but they're not worth a two-month marathon, IMO.

Also, could you really stand watching almost 5 hours of Pokémon each day for 64 days straight??

Wiseblade

The first series is pretty fine, but the second is pure trash. After that the only things worth watching are the gym battles and Pokemon league arc of each region. The rest is Pokemon of the week trash.

Son of Godzilla said:
So this game does support the DSi's WPA right?

From what I heard when I asked around it's Japan release, it does not. :(
(Unless Nintendo decided to change something during localization).

I really wish Nintendo would use the DSi's WPA capabilities.

Danthrax said:
I'm starting with Cyndaquil, probably. Totodile is actually my least favorite, heh.

I'm not a Pokiemanses expert or anything, but when I had Silver, I remember Mareep (sheep-looking Pokémon) was awesome — that is, what it evolved into, Ampharos, was awesome. Sneasel is pretty good, too — high speed but shitty defense IIRC.

Mareep - Flaaffy - Ampharos are Lightning Electric types, BTW. Sneasel is a Darkness/Ice type and doesn't evolve.

uhhhhh, lessee... oh, Swinub (evolves into Piloswine) is pretty sweet, too. It's an Ice/Ground type, so it can learn some pretty cool combinations of moves. I believe it has a fuckton of HP, too.
Flaafy it is then. I caught a Swinub in Pearl (I think). Didn't really give it fair shake. I'll give it a go.

Wiseblade said:
The first series is pretty fine, but the second is pure trash. After that the only things worth watching are the gym battles and Pokemon league arc of each region. The rest is Pokemon of the week trash.
I enjoyed the first season of the anime in spite of all the filler, but when Ash came third (I think) in the Kanto League and didn't face off against the Elite Four, I was really disappointed. Also, the moment Brock left the team in favour of Tracy, the man with the girl's name who obviously has a big boy crush on Professor Oak, the show lost something. I mean, he came back and all, but it was never the same.

By the time the Johto Journeys started, I stopped caring, especially when I realised that he was dumping the monsters he'd worked so hard to build up in the earlier series in favour of Johto ones. Letting Pidgeotto go was the last straw for me.

I actually would have preferred that each series have a new hero - that way Ash, Misty and Brock could get older, have cameos and guest arcs so that you could see them getting on with their lives. That way, each series could have its own overarching story arc rather than this shounen crap. As it is, there are kids watching the anime these days who don't know Ash's origins.

But I'm not in charge of the anime, so yeah.

Magni

Danthrax said:

Sneasle does evolve now, into Weavile. I used it for my Platinum playthrough, and it was actually pretty nice (for SP, I don't have enough time for Smogon level of play..).

Requeim

can't wait to get soulsilver

crystal is basically the best pokemon game ever made, so if this is just half as good it'll still be better than gen 3 (maybe 4 as well :O)

Cyndaquil and Lugia, here i come!

Wiseblade

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I enjoyed the first season of the anime in spite of all the filler, but when Ash came third (I think) in the Kanto League and didn't face off against the Elite Four, I was really disappointed. Also, the moment Brock left the team in favour of Tracy, the man with the girl's name who obviously has a big boy crush on Professor Oak, the show lost something. I mean, he came back and all, but it was never the same.

By the time the Johto Journeys started, I stopped caring, especially when I realised that he was dumping the monsters he'd worked so hard to build up in the earlier series in favour of Johto ones. Letting Pidgeotto go was the last straw for me.

I actually would have preferred that each series have a new hero - that way Ash, Misty and Brock could get older, have cameos and guest arcs so that you could see them getting on with their lives. That way, each series could have its own overarching story arc rather than this shounen crap. As it is, there are kids watching the anime these days who don't know Ash's origins.

But I'm not in charge of the anime, so yeah.

There are a few factors behind a lot of that. Tracy was the producers' attempt at making the show more suitable for international audiences that wasn't really needed. The reason later seasons might feel so different is because there is so much filler and much less seems to happen in each episode. The First season was made when Gold and silver were already in development, So the first season could (read: had to) move at a fast pace. Afterwards, they had to stretch each Reigonal arc to last the entire generation of games. 8 gyms and the pokemon league in a single year? kind of entertaining. 3 years? slow and boring. 45 years? Mind numbingly dull.

Why does ash keep giving up his Pokemon? Because there's now way to have 10 episodes based around Noctowl if he's still using Pidgeot. Why bother with Cyndaquil if he still has Charizard? As for why Ash is still around at all, it's another case of the status quo ruling all. all those kids watching every Saturday morning, holding on to their Pikachu dolls without even the slightest interest in the games would be pretty put off if ash left and they got stuck with some beret wearing loser and his electric squirrel.

But nobody cares about any of this, right?

Wiseblade said:
There are a few factors behind a lot of that. Tracy was the producers' attempt at making the show more suitable for international audiences that wasn't really needed. The reason later seasons might feel so different is because there is so much filler and much less seems to happen in each episode. The First season was made when Gold and silver were already in development, So the first season could (read: had to) move at a fast pace. Afterwards, they had to stretch each Reigonal arc to last the entire generation of games. 8 gyms and the pokemon league in a single year? kind of entertaining. 3 years? slow and boring. 45 years? Mind numbingly dull.

Why does ash keep giving up his Pokemon? Because there's now way to have 10 episodes based around Noctowl if he's still using Pidgeot. Why bother with Cyndaquil if he still has Charizard? As for why Ash is still around at all, it's another case of the status quo ruling all. all those kids watching every Saturday morning, holding on to their Pikachu dolls without even the slightest interest in the games would be pretty put off if ash left and they got stuck with some beret wearing loser and his electric squirrel.

But nobody cares about any of this, right?
Ash would've been replaced by a dude who rode a skateboard, wore baggy pants and his cap backward, 90's style. He in turn would have been replaced by an athletic dude wearing a hat that makes him look like he has long white hair and he would have been replaced by the beret-wearing loser and his electric squirrel.

By the fourth gen, Ash should've been nudging 30, be a member of the Elite Four and still be best friends with Brock (who has nine kids).

The first season of the show hinted at greatness. I am disappointed when I think about what could have been.

Top Bottom