• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

VIuOZ.gif

Mutagenic said:
Seriously. Explain to me what the enhancements are, I'd love to know.
The game is like twice as fast in battle.

Jeez, I can't even play Diamond anymore, the battles are so slow...

Also, the always-on touch friendly menu, with two preset buttons (oh yeeah).

The Clock is dwindling down on the release of both games here in the US.

Anyone else really excited about the release coming sooner and sooner? :D

I myself have a boatload of PS2 games (terrible past christmas presents such as that Kao Kangaroo game) that i'm going to trade for store credit at any local game stores nearby me.
(I just need to decide on which store will give me the most credits so I can pay less for my game! Anyone wanna help me with my decision? :lol)

Netto-kun

FootNinja said:
Please tell me they added a SORT feature to the box. suuuuuuuuch an overdue feature.
I don't know whether they added this feature (by sort, you mean like sort by level, type etc?) in the English version or not, at least I don't see it in the Japanese version of the games. But even without the sort feature, I am loving the touch interface for Pokémon/box management.:D

Edit: IGN's review if not posted already.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/107/1077337p3.html

8.0 Presentation
It's bringing back a great Pokemon adventure with new elements. Just try to shake off that deja vu feeling.
7.0 Graphics
You know, I've grown to appreciate the visual style that GameFreak created for the DS game. Even if it's not the most technically beautiful game, and we're still dealing with sliding sprites.
7.0 Sound
Still screechy Game Boy 8-bit sounds for the Poke creatures, but at least the melodies are pleasant and fun.
9.0 Gameplay
Even with the repeat performance, Pokemon is still an addictive, engrossing, and satisfying design that should be experienced at least once. This is a great starter.
10 Lasting Appeal
16 badges instead of the usual 8 so it's a long quest, then you've got the use of your Pokemon for as long as Nintendo supports WiFi.
Great OVERALL
(out of 10)

Another minor edit.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
ColtraineGF said:
The game is like twice as fast in battle.

Jeez, I can't even play Diamond anymore, the battles are so slow...

Also, the always-on touch friendly menu, with two preset buttons (oh yeeah).
It is NOT twice as fast in battle, but that is something I was hoping for. And in regards to the interface changes, they are nice, but I was referring more to improvements in animations, etc.

Just to be clear, I'm not hating on this game. I enjoyed D/P, and I can see myself having even more fun with HG.

celebi23

Might anyone have an extra GameStop Jirachi to trade? I know that the giveaway is going on until later today but, turns out that I've come down with bronchitis & a sinus infection during the last 24 hours :lol The antibiotic has kinda messed up my balance, and sleep, enough that driving is kinda impossible for now :lol I've got a few extra "Pikachu-Colored" Pichus if anyone is interested. Any help would be awesome :D Feel free to shoot me a pm if anyone can help me out :D

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Wiseblade said:
Dude, it was there since gen 3. "move pokemon"
:\

I recently had every single box full and had to slowly release/organize these pokemon. This took damn near an entire day, because of how slow the interface is. The boxes looked completely unorganized, and making them look presentable shouldn't be such a hassle. A simple "sort by dex#/type/color/level" feature would go a long way.

Mutagenic said:
It is NOT twice as fast in battle, but that is something I was hoping for.
You didn't notice even a little bit of difference in battle speed between Diamond and HGSS? Surprised me.

Nevertheless, I will agree that a gen has a very consistent feel, and that super minor changes made in the 'third game' sometimes aren't noticed. Like the improved text in FRLG/Emerald, or the faster surfing in Platinum/HGSS.

Teknoman

:lol Maybe I should just whoop the E4 on platinum with the pokemon I traded over from Diamond. Trying to finish getting the legendaries via items on Platinum, and I just finished the 8th gym yesterday (put the game down for awhile after release since I was burnt out on Sinnoh).

Eteric Rice

The one improvement that they seem to refuse to make is to turn shit like cut, surf, fly, etc, into items instead of being moves.

I hate having to carry around one Pokemon just to be able to travel. It's retarded.

celebi23

red shoe paul said:
I'll be going tomorrow to get one, I'll pick you up one as well. :D
I'll PM you when I'm around back home..

Thank you!! :D :D I might as well ask this here too, might anyone have an extra Toys R Us Arceus ? I could trade an extra Manaphy Egg, or a Toys R Us "MYSTERY" Mew, or some other things (would need to check my Diamond, not 100% sure what I have).

Gravijah

celebi23 said:
Thank you!! :D :D I might as well ask this here too, might anyone have an extra Toys R Us Arceus ? I could trade an extra Manaphy Egg, or a Toys R Us "MYSTERY" Mew, or some other things (would need to check my Diamond, not 100% sure what I have).

Could I get a clone version of that Mew? I don't think I have much to offer, though.

Eteric Rice said:
The one improvement that they seem to refuse to make is to turn shit like cut, surf, fly, etc, into items instead of being moves.

I hate having to carry around one Pokemon just to be able to travel. It's retarded.

Fly an item? like a Tanuki Suit?

or maybe a jetpack

-Winnie- said:
Really? OH THANK GOD!!!
I've always hated how slow battle feels in Pokemon games.

they would go even faster if they removed redundant text such as:

"Charmander became confused, Charmander is confused"
"Its Super Effective!"

there are tons of phrases that pokemon uses that can be replaced with just icons or removed all together, like an option in the menu for a "pro" setting for people who know an attack is super effective or not very effective by the sound it makes..

Trying to get Blab's attention...

Balb
(Today, 07:35 AM)
Reply | Quote
zvvqc1.png

Check your pm's I sent you a message a few days ago. I got the pokemon ready and I have time to do the trade this weekend.

Also after losing to Palmer two times in a row, I decided to follow your advice Wiseblade. I don't intend to have the Starmie in my main game team, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have another strong pokemon.

john tv

Reading that Iwata Asks made me really want to play this again. Played the crap out of it on the GB back when it hit Japan and loved every minute of it.

One Q for anyone who's played: Did they keep the full 24-hour clock or did they gimp it like they did in the GBA Pokemons?

upandaway

john tv said:
Reading that Iwata Asks made me really want to play this again. Played the crap out of it on the GB back when it hit Japan and loved every minute of it.

One Q for anyone who's played: Did they keep the full 24-hour clock or did they gimp it like they did in the GBA Pokemons?
Full on 24-hour clock. It listens to the DS internal clock, like Pokemon Platinum.

john tv said:
Never played the GBA games, but time changes as in real life. Lighting changes every second hour, cities look beautiful at night with windows lid up etc.. Different pokemons depending on morning/day/night

Michan

Little more than a single day of waiting left!

I've got my pre-orders paid for, so will just dawdle in and pick them up. Hurrah!

Eventhough I've had the game for almost two months now I'm only halfway through, and most of you will probably beat the game within next week... But no way in hell will you beat me in accumulating watts for the PokeWalker :D The places I've brought that sob with me the last couple of months is crazy!

john tv

Metroid Killer said:
Never played the GBA games, but time changes as in real life. Lighting changes every second hour, cities look beautiful at night with windows lid up etc.. Different pokemons depending on morning/day/night
Awesome. Thanks!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I was thinking of making an in-game team of nothing but early Johto Pokemon for my HGSS run (like I did with Sinnoh Pokemon for Plat), but glancing through some FAQs and online Pokedexes shows that it might not be worth the trouble. HM distribution wouldn't be easy without slaves, and there are so few new Pokemon in the early areas! It's all Pidgey and Rattata and shit! Johto is laaaaame.

Can anybody list all of the... specially encountered Pokemon you obtain in HGSS? I'm thinking of stuff like Red Gyarados, Togepi egg, Sudowoodo, Extremespeed Dratini, etc. Basically anything that an NPC will just give you or is some kind of special non-legendary encounter. Maybe I'll just make a team out of those.

Sixfortyfive

Fewr said:
What's the poké-slave who gets most HMs in this game?
I was browsing through for some info on these earlier and it turns out that Feraligatr gets fucking 7. Every damn one of them except Fly. Though that would definitely be a waste of a 'mon.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Fewr said:
What's the poké-slave who gets most HMs in this game?

The easiest:
Furret - Surf, Rock Smash, Strength, Cut
Golduck - Waterfall, Whirlpool, Rock Climb, Flash
Anything that can learn it - Fly

The best attackers/slaves:

Tauros is an excellent candidate for TM Slave 1; he learns, Surf, Strength, Whirlpool, Rock Smash, and Rock Climb. He receives STAB on Strength, and Surf In-Game is a funny way to defeat Rock/Ground types without wasting Earthquake TM26 on Tauros.

Skarmory compliments Tauros well, taking on Cut, Fly, and freeing up Rock Smash. He's also one of the few Steel types you can pick up before Kanto. If Tauros learning Surf/Strength/Whirlpool/Rock Climb, and Skarmory learning Cut/Fly/Rock Smash, you'll simply need Waterfall on another Pokemon. Giving it to something like Gyarados, Feraligatr, Azumarill, Kingdra, Qwilfish.. is great, because it's the best STAB move in the game for most of them.

Magni

Seeing the end of HMs in Gen V would not make me sad..

Come on P-A, ship my game already :D

Play-Asia.com order #1173432401 from Jan 17, 2010
order status Preparing order
Estimated shipping date: On or before Mar 15, 2010

I use Sandslash (Cut, Strength, Rock Smash, Rock Climb) and Tentacool (Surf, Whirlpool, Waterfall), but I only withdraw Tentacool from the pc when I encounter whirlpools or waterfalls and that is pretty rare. I always have a main pokemon that knows surf/fly anyway.

I now have a Starmie ready on my team against Palmer in the Battle Frontier! Unfortunately I didn't have enough money to get Ice Beam at the Goldenrod game corner. So it only knows Surf, Thunderbolt, Recover and Psychic. I have it as the first pokemon in my hand, and with my luck I'm sure that Palmer will pull out his Dragonite first probably beating me once again -_-

Don't like that they split up the guide in two, "Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver:Official Pokemon Johto Guide & Johto Pokedex" and "Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver Official Pokemon Kanto Guide Natl Pokedex" (pokedex + post-story guide, whatever that means).

$20 each, will probably translate to €20 each, if they come out in Europe. But the Plat. guide came out here too, so I guess this one will as well. No way in hell I'm going to spend €40 on guides though, I'll only buy one :p

Sixfortyfive said:
If you want to save yourself some frustration for the Battle Frontier, just check Smogon's records thread and copy one of their teams.
The only way to save me from frustration would be having 3 pokemon immune to confusing. A Persian just took out my Starmie and Metagross because they never hit anything but themselves, there's some crazy luck going on in this tower.

Palmer really isn't the problem, the first few times I ran into him I was unprepared, but I always run into some trainer in round 3 that'll win over me by confusing me or just have the perfect team against my team.

I got a Starmie to take out Milotic, and Rhyperior, Mamoswine to take out Dragonite and a Metagross just in case(can take out either Milotic or Dragonite on its own).

OMG did anyone else here go to the London Game event? Somebody apparantly hacked the Arceus wireless access point and gave out all the Japanese event pokemon! Apparantly the staff back at Nintendo UK HQ were really pissed off :lol

I managed to get them all except for the Pokemon Championships Eevee :D

Battling against Palmer now!!!

Starmie go!

Palmer sends out Dragonite (...Fuuuuu! It's the only Pokemon of his my Starmie can't take out!)

Switches into Mamoswine! Dragonite uses thunder wave! haha you son of bitch it doesn't work.

Mamoswine defeats dragonite! He sends out Milotic. Mamoswine goes down!

Starmie beats the crap out of Milotic! Palmer sends out Rhyperior!

Fucking surfs rhyperior into the next digimon dimension!!!

effyoupalmer.gif

FUCK YES!!!

CoolS

Metroid Killer said:
Battling against Palmer now!!!

Starmie go!

Palmer sends out Dragonite (...Fuuuuu! It's the only Pokemon of his my Starmie can't take out!)

Switches into Mamoswine! Dragonite uses thunder wave! haha you son of bitch it doesn't work.

Mamoswine defeats dragonite! He sends out Milotic. Mamoswine goes down!

Starmie beats the crap out of Milotic! Palmer sends out Rhyperior!

Fucking surfs rhyperior into the next digimon dimension!!!

effyoupalmer.gif

FUCK YES!!!

*slowly backs away*

Dogenzaka

Banned
celebi23 said:

Wait...when the hell were they giving Arceus :(

What's this about the battles being faster? I saw some youtube videos and compared them to the other versions and I don't see any difference. Seems just as slow as the other versions. Maybe the moves come out a split second faster?

zumphry

Banned
Sigh...gonna have to wait awhile before I can pick this up. Plus, I never got the chance to get Platinum.

Still going to love turning it on the first time and see it be morning and realizing that it turned to night while I was playing. :D

Sixfortyfive

Metroid Killer said:
When I first got into the Battle Tower in Pearl version, Palmer made me ragequit so hard that I gave up the game for a year.

Amibguous Cad said:
Does this game have the Battle Frontier content that Pokemon Platinum did?
Pretty much. The layout is identical. I'm not sure if the NPC trainers are different at all. They really should be, as I'd be surprised if none of them used newly-introduced HGSS tutor moves.

Cow Mengde said:
What's this about the battles being faster? I saw some youtube videos and compared them to the other versions and I don't see any difference. Seems just as slow as the other versions. Maybe the moves come out a split second faster?
Platinum was marginally faster than Diamond/Pearl. Not sure if there's a significant difference for HGSS yet.

Sixfortyfive said:
Platinum was marginally faster than Diamond/Pearl. Not sure if there's a significant difference for HGSS yet.

Yeah, I was comparing HG/SS to Platinum as well. I didn't buy D/P because I knew this version would come, so I waited for it. No idea how fast the battles are in those. Might as well watch some more videos.

Top Bottom