• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

bluemax said:
Which version is less popular? I want to buy that one. Also shit I didn't know this was out so soon.
Usually the "second" title is the less popular. I think Red, Gold, Ruby and Diamond were the more popular titles of their own gens.

Mind you, I think Soul Silver might be the more popular one this gen in Japan.

bluemax

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Usually the "second" title is the less popular. I think Red, Gold, Ruby and Diamond were the more popular titles of their own gens.

Thanks. I own Blue for GB, Emerald Green for GBA, and Diamond for DS. I didn't as much into the last two as the first though.

Did they up the framerate from Diamond? That game felt so slow. Part of why I barely played it.

Odd Silver is more popular on Amazon. Also a dollar cheaper.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
bluemax said:
Did they up the framerate from Diamond? That game felt so slow. Part of why I barely played it.
This is a concern of mine, as well. Going from the GBA games, the DS games are very, very stuttery. The screen shakes every time you move. It's a result of the new 3d effect, but it's pretty distracting.

Really? Everyone I knew got Silver.

Cocopjojo said:
This is a concern of mine, as well. Going from the GBA games, the DS games are very, very stuttery. The screen shakes every time you move. It's a result of the new 3d effect, but it's pretty distracting.
I agree. Also the fact the Pokemon weren't interesting...I really couldn't name anything past first generation and some of second generation, and I completely skipped Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

I'm not looking forward to the 3D feel again.

upandaway

The game is noticeably faster since Platinum, during battles. I didn't really draw a comparison between the games on the overworld though.. I never saw it as a problem in DP.

Kyzer

Banned
bluemax said:
Which version is less popular? I want to buy that one. Also shit I didn't know this was out so soon.

Red, Silver, Ruby, and Diamond are the popular versions. Silver is the only one to break the "first game = most popular" rule, and it did this, as I can recall, because Lugia was on the cover and everyone was on his sack because of the movie.

bluemax said:

Would like to re-emphasise what upandaway said, battles are much much faster in HG/SS (japanese release anyway) I almost cried with joy at how much better it all feels, the buttons do stuff the second you press them rather than a 5 second annoying delay.

Also the pokemon center music is awesome in HG/SS as well.

Shiggie

upandaway said:
The game is noticeably faster since Platinum, during battles. I didn't really draw a comparison between the games on the overworld though.. I never saw it as a problem in DP.
Trust me, im recently replaying my diamond after months platinum and its almost unbearable.

SlickVic

I think Amazon is subtly trying to get SS to outsell HG. They just priced it a whopping $1.45 less than HG. $33.54 vs $34.99 :lol

Firestorm

Silver is for second place (losers).

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Firestorm said:
Silver is for second place (losers).
Not according to sales
smiley_smug.gif

Axis

i have a spare pcp if anyone needs it. if you have any other spare event to trade me it'd be cool but not necessary

Axis said:
i have a spare pcp if anyone needs it. if you have any other spare event to trade me it'd be cool but not necessary

It's available over wifi at the moment so most people should have it unless they have router issues.

Any conformation anywhere of jirachi being available next over wifi?

Axis

kyo_daikun said:
It's available over wifi at the moment so most people should have it unless they have router issues.

Any conformation anywhere of jirachi being available next over wifi?

didn't know if it was being distributed everywhere. just offering!

Axis said:
didn't know if it was being distributed everywhere. just offering!

Ah sorry mate don't misunderstand I wasn't being mean!

It's very kind of you to offer it out.

The Ho oh bias makes me cry tho and thus I am purchasing Gold (I already bought silver in japanese...)

I really want to go online with this game, but changing my protection to WEP, really? Maybe I'll buy it to play solo, but still :'(

And I'm going Heart Gold all the way, I <3 Mankey/Primeape for some weird reason.

Metroid Killer said:
Anyone have a Stone Edge(TM71) that they are willing to trade? I got lots of Psychic(TM29), and I might also have a pokemon you are looking for.

Will check later, its a pretty amazing move tho :lol

kyo_daikun said:
Will check later, its a pretty amazing move tho :lol
Yeah I know, and it can be brought at the Battle Frontier, but fuck me if it doesn't take forever to get Battle Points, and I already need to gather over 100 BP on Zen Headbutt and Outrage alone.

I'm currently making a new team before I go to Kanto, and want some nice moves :)

Axis

Metroid Killer said:
Anyone have a Stone Edge(TM71) that they are willing to trade? I got lots of Psychic(TM29), and I might also have a pokemon you are looking for.

just picked it up from victory road if you still need it

Metroid Killer said:
Yeah I know, and it can be brought at the Battle Frontier, but fuck me if it doesn't take forever to get Battle Points, and I already need to gather over 100 BP on Zen Headbutt and Outrage alone.

I'm currently making a new team before I go to Kanto, and want some nice moves :)

Yeah im doing the same thing and im really enjoying it, im working on an all rotom team at the moment which has been pretty fun even tho i've got nowhere so far!

kyo_daikun said:
Yeah im doing the same thing and im really enjoying it, im working on an all rotom team at the moment which has been pretty fun even tho i've got nowhere so far!
It is pretty fun, but at the same time being knocked out by the opponents last pokemon(having less then 20hp left) in the 7th match is just one hell of a blow ;_;

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm going to go ahead and take the initiative for organizing the next GAF Pokemon tourney unless someone else really wants the job.

I went ahead and typed up a first draft for the rules. Give this a look and tell me if you think anything should be changed. I figure that I'll post a dedicated thread for sign-ups and further discussion in the Online subforum after HGSS is released, at which point the rules would probably be final.

Anything in red is something that I particularly want some input on, though I'm open for changing around other stuff as well if people want it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any 4th Generation Pokemon game (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver) is permitted.

Date: Not finalized by any means, but I think a good time to start would be about 1 month after HGSS' western release. April 16th or 23rd would sound about right. Not sure what kind of time limit we should put on individual matches to keep this thing from dragging on for too long.

Bracket format: single elimination, one fight per match. Each match consists of only a single fight (not 2 out of 3 or more), and one loss means elimination from the tournament. I don't really want to make it longer or more compliated than this, as online tournaments tend to have a really high chance of falling apart the longer they drag on due to schedule conflicts, diminishing interest, or other factors. I'd also be willing to swap the position of two or more players mid-tournament to resolve schedule conflicts as long as it doesn't give anyone an extra bye.

Double-Blind style or Sidebar style? In double-blind style, every player's team is left in complete secrecy between matches. You will simply have to do the best you can in constructing a team of 6 Pokemon that will be ready for any type of opponent, and you are allowed to make as many changes to your team as you want between matches. In sidebar style, every participant would PM me a roster of up to 9 Pokemon species that they would be using for the entire tournament. Every participant's roster would be made public at the start of the tournament, and each player would choose 6 Pokemon from their submitted roster to use for each match. Essentially, sidebar style is more reliant on counter-picking, as you would have a little bit of information on your opponent before the match starts.

Confidentiality: Regardless of how the tournament is structured, you are not allowed to divulge any information about any of the other participants' teams until the entire tournament has been completed. This includes: Pokemon used, moves used, items used, and any strategy employed.

Single Battle: I'd be willing to put up a vote for Single vs Double format if enough people expressed interest in double battles. I'd actually prefer doubles, but I expect that I'd be in the minority.

Up to 6 Pokemon per team in-battle. You can use fewer if you like, but why would you?

Level 100: The game will auto-level your Pokemon to 100 in wi-fi battles if you pick the corresponding option.

Banned Pokemon: Any Pokemon classified as an Uber by Smogon as of March 2010:
-Arceus
-Darkrai
-Deoxys (all forms)
-Dialga
-Garchomp
-Giratina (all forms)
-Groudon
-Ho-Oh
-Kyogre
-Latios (with or without Soul Dew)
-Lugia
-Manaphy
-Mew
-Mewtwo
-Palkia
-Rayquaza
-Shaymin-S (Normal Shaymin is permitted, and I'm not sure if sky form can even be used on wi-fi anyway.)
-Wobbuffet
-Wynaut

Banned Moves: Any moves that break Evasion Clause or OHKO Clause are banned. These moves are:
-Double Team
-Minimize
-Guillotine
-Horn Drill
-Fissure
-Sheer Cold

Banned Items:
-Soul Dew

Species Clause: You may not use more than one Pokemon of the same species (Pokedex number) in any one battle. The Pokedex number is the only thing that determines whether Species Clause is broken or not. Having a Pikachu + Raichu or Porygon-2 + Porygon-Z combination would be fine, but Wormadam-G + Wormadam-S would be prohibitted.

Sleep Clause: You may not put more than one of your opponent's Pokemon to sleep at the same time. This does not apply to Pokemon using self-induced moves such as Rest. It only partially applies to abilities such as Effect Spore: If your opponent is put to sleep by Effect Spore, you may not use another sleep-inducing move until that Pokemon wakes up, but if a second (or third, or fourth, etc) Pokemon on your opponent's team is put to sleep by Effect Spore it does not break this clause.

Self KO Clause: This is to resolve ties that occur when the final Pokemon of both teams are KOed at the same time. The user of moves such as Explosion, Perish Song, and Destiny Bond would lose, but any match decided by recoil-inducing moves such as Take Down or Struggle would result in a win for the attacking Pokemon's team.

Voice Chat should be turned OFF. Attentive players can and will make note of the sounds made by your button presses to determine what actions you may be using in any given turn.

Wi-fi communication errors: If you run from battle, either by accident or on purpose, then you forfeit the match. Not sure how to handle disconnects, though any repeat offenders would almost definitely be DQed.

Battle Recorder: You can save and upload videos of matches as the tournament progresses, but don't post the ID numbers publicly until the tournament is over.

Prizes: I will have at least one very special super-secret Pokemon to distribute to the winner. Other people may add to the prize pool, in which case the winner would have first pick, runner-up would have second pick, and so forth.

Sounds cool 645. I'll defintely join the tournament, though I doubt I will last more than 1 battle as it will be my first wi-fi match ever.

I would prefer Double-Blind style as it favors luck more than sidebar style, but my voting shouldn't really affect the tournament as I'm pretty much just a newbie joining in for the fun.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sixfortyfive said:
Date: Not finalized by any means, but I think a good time to start would be about 1 month after HGSS' western release. April 16th or 23rd would sound about right. Not sure what kind of time limit we should put on individual matches to keep this thing from dragging on for too long.

I'd say at least wait until June so late stragglers can get in. But the 23rd would be good, slightly one week after the game has launched for a month in the US.

Double-Blind style or Sidebar style? In double-blind style, every player's team is left in complete secrecy between matches. You will simply have to do the best you can in constructing a team of 6 Pokemon that will be ready for any type of opponent, and you are allowed to make as many changes to your team as you want between matches. In sidebar style, every participant would PM me a roster of up to 9 Pokemon species that they would be using for the entire tournament. Every participant's roster would be made public at the start of the tournament, and each player would choose 6 Pokemon from their submitted roster to use for each match. Essentially, sidebar style is more reliant on counter-picking, as you would have a little bit of information on your opponent before the match starts.

Sidebar would be best. Counter picks may be wrong (on 3-6 of them) but you'd at least know what you're possibly going against instead of pure randomity of blind.

It suddenly just hit me that I never watched the very first pokemon episode, despite following the series back in the late 90s. So I just watched the first Pokemon Episode on youtube. Pikachu is awesome :D But fuck Spearow! What an asshole pokemon! >:|

Wiseblade

Sixfortyfive said:

I'd prefer if the tournament started on the 23rd to give Europeans
me
a full month to prepare.

I really like the sidebar idea, but I have a question: would be be allowed multiple instances on a single species? for example would I be able to declare Pikachu in my list of nine Pokemon, use a Pikachu in the first round and then use a completely different Pikachu in the second round?

Sixfortyfive

Wiseblade said:
I really like the sidebar idea, but I have a question: would be be allowed multiple instances on a single species? for example would I be able to declare Pikachu in my list of nine Pokemon, use a Pikachu in the first round and then use a completely different Pikachu in the second round?
Duplicates of the same species would only use one of the nine slots, as it would be pretty much impossible to enforce anything else anyway. So yeah, you could change around moves and EVs between matches, or just use a completely different Pokemon of the same species for different matches.

Kyzer

Banned
2 things.

1) I'll participate in this PokeGAF tourney, but I have a lot of trouble beating people on battle simulators, so I probably won't make it too far.
2) Can anyone trade me one of the NZ Jirachis? There's no way I'll e able to get it by Saturday.

Ondore

CoroCoro just announced that starting this summer in Japan, dogs and cats will live together. source

Suicune gets Sheer Cold
Raikou gets Zap Cannon
Entei gets FLARE BLITZ.

Sixfortyfive

OMG Aero said:
Duplicate Pokemon shouldn't be allowed. The standard rules of Pokemon are no duplicate Pokemon and no duplicate items.
Read the rules again. Species Clause is listed.

Also, Item Clause isn't standard in most English Pokemon communities. I can add it in if people want it, though I'd rather do without it.

Delio

Ondore said:
CoroCoro just announced that starting this summer in Japan, dogs and cats will live together. source

Suicune gets Sheer Cold
Raikou gets Zap Cannon
Entei gets FLARE BLITZ.

Heh out of those Three. Entei greatly loves Flare Blitz. He has the attack to really use it to.

OMG Aero

Sixfortyfive said:
Read the rules again. Species Clause is listed.

Also, Item Clause isn't standard in most English Pokemon communities. I can add it in if people want it, though I'd rather do without it.
Oh, I got mistaken about the species clause since you said Wiseblade could have two Pikachus.
Also I'm pretty sure Stadium, Colosseum and Battle Revolution use the item clause as standard and Nintendo usually uses them in their tournaments.
I find that the item clause makes matches less boring since usually people just use 6 sets of leftovers or put focus band/sashes on everything.

Also, to add to the things you want input on, I'd like it to be on April 23rd to give Europeans a fair chance to use HG/SS since it isn't out for two weeks here and I think double blind battles could be fun.

Butane123

I'll be in on the tournament. I wanted to get in on the last one I saw around here, but my game got wiped. Of course, I can't find my Platnium cart, so I'll have to do some major grinding once the game comes out.

Galang

Banned
Very interested in the tournament. Were there a lot of people to participate in the last one?

Delio said:
Heh out of those Three. Entei greatly loves Flare Blitz. He has the attack to really use it to.

Yeah, this is the only interesting move of the three.

OMG Aero said:
Also, to add to the things you want input on, I'd like it to be on April 23rd to give Europeans a fair chance to use HG/SS since it isn't out for two weeks here and I think double blind battles could be fun.

Agree with all of this! I think knowing the roster beforehand also spoils the randomness, but I can understand why people would be against this as well.

bluemax said:

Of SS and HG, HeartGold is def. the underdog.

I'm actually considering to purchase a DS myself for this new Pokemon. Question is..do I get a Lite or a DSi or a new DSi XL? :lol I hate you multiple skus!

Top Bottom