• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

JSnake

EvilMario said:
lolz. The most offensive Lugia you'll find in Ubers, running around 64 EVs in Special Attack will do 27.4% - 32.4% to Life Orb Ho-Oh. Ho-Oh will outstall Lugia's Hydro Pump with its Roost/Pressure, and even with Rain if Ho-Oh is more defensive. Ho-Oh in return does 50.7% - 60.1% with a Life Orb Brave Bird. Or 63.7% - 75.2% with Sacred Fire in the Sun.

The better option would be to Toxic Ho-Oh (praying it doesn't have Substitute) and to stall it yourself. Lugia on a Calm Mind (or any) set will never run Hydro Pump, because of its accuracy, and it's resisted by Dragons that menace the tier. And thanks to Stealth Rocks, Lugia has almost no business switching into Ho-Oh, unless it suspects a Choice Band Earthquake.

Lugia has really had its position as the 'Great Wall' usurped by Giratina, who offers much better resistances and is not SR weak. Lugia is still one of the best answers to Rayquaza, and Garchomp (if it can avoid too many Stone Edge hits).

And... there's your competitive in-sight into your casual trash talking. :lol

I understand every word of this.

:'(

I've kept my hype in check this time as I can't really get excited for any game anymore but I'm definitely ready to play this game. Just thinking about it makes me happy.

I'm not happy about losing an hour tonight though. Gonna lose some playtime before I go about my day. :lol

Balb

EvilMario said:
lolz. The most offensive Lugia you'll find in Ubers, running around 64 EVs in Special Attack will do 27.4% - 32.4% to Life Orb Ho-Oh. Ho-Oh will outstall Lugia's Hydro Pump with its Roost/Pressure, and even with Rain if Ho-Oh is more defensive. Ho-Oh in return does 50.7% - 60.1% with a Life Orb Brave Bird. Or 63.7% - 75.2% with Sacred Fire in the Sun.

The better option would be to Toxic Ho-Oh (praying it doesn't have Substitute) and to stall it yourself. Lugia on a Calm Mind (or any) set will never run Hydro Pump, because of its accuracy, and it's resisted by Dragons that menace the tier. And thanks to Stealth Rocks, Lugia has almost no business switching into Ho-Oh, unless it suspects a Choice Band Earthquake.

Lugia has really had its position as the 'Great Wall' usurped by Giratina, who offers much better resistances and is not SR weak. Lugia is still one of the best answers to Rayquaza, and Garchomp (if it can avoid too many Stone Edge hits).

I'm on your side but I wouldn't run Ho-oh in any sort of ubers team...

celebi23

celebi23 said:
Might anyone have an extra GameStop Jirachi to trade? I know that the giveaway is going on until later today but, turns out that I've come down with bronchitis & a sinus infection during the last 24 hours :lol The antibiotic has kinda messed up my balance, and sleep, enough that driving is kinda impossible for now :lol I've got a few extra "Pikachu-Colored" Pichus if anyone is interested. Any help would be awesome :D Feel free to shoot me a pm if anyone can help me out :D

Wasn't sure if anyone responded to this (internet has been kinda fucked up recently + NeoGAF acting up for me a bit >_< ). Would be awesome if anyone could help me out :D

Oh & some commercials:

[NC US] Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver - TV Spot 1

[NC US] Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver - TV Spot 2

:D

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Balb said:
I'm on your side but I wouldn't run Ho-oh in any sort of ubers team...

Both Lugia and Ho-Oh have suffered quite a bit this generation.. but Ho-Oh, thanks to HGSS has gained a bit back with Brave Bird. If you look at the last five months in Ubers, his usage has skyrocketed, as has stall (Forty is required with Ho-Oh, as the only viable rapid spinner in Ubers) and Groudon. Life Orb Brave Bird is Ho-Oh's ace in the hole, and it can OHKO so many Pokemon like Kyogre, Palkia, Rayquaza, Latios, Mewtwo.

3HKOing Giratina is no small feat, meaning it can't Rest/Sleep Talk in hopes of beating you. And of course Sacred Fire is an awesome attack with its 50% burn rate, keeping the few physical attackers that carry Stone Edge in Ubers (Garchomp, Tyranitar, Groudon) away from the Phoenix.

InfiniteNine said:
Why do you hate fun?

I'm sorry, but I can't look at Pokemon without my competitive goggles on. I appreciate In-Game playthroughs a ton though, as I always have an extra cart around just for that.

jman2050

InfiniteNine said:
Why do you hate fun?

Personally, the fact that there's so much depth in the metagame even involving all the intentionally overpowered pokemon just reaffirms how awesome the battle system is in general. And that's a lot of fun on the competitive side :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
JSnake said:
What competitive changes does HGSS have?

Additional moves, mostly.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61464

There's really too many to list. Things like Aggron received Head Smash, and a lot of Pokemon received Super Fang. Ho-Oh picked up Brave Bird, a lot of Pokemon picked up Low Kick (a surprisingly good amount that required a fighting move), and Heal Bell. Most Ghost obtained Pain Split (giving Rotom forms their only form of recovery outside of Rest/Talk, and Gengar and additional way to defeat Blissey via Substitute/Pain Split/Focus Blast), and Feraligatr now has Aqua Jet for his Swords Dance set.

Galang

Banned
VGChampion said:
I've kept my hype in check this time as I can't really get excited for any game anymore but I'm definitely ready to play this game. Just thinking about it makes me happy.

I'm not happy about losing an hour tonight though. Gonna lose some playtime before I go about my day. :lol

Wow, forgot all about daylight savings :(.

I've been busy preparing for HG/SS and I luckily got pokerus while training in preparation! It's made it a lot more enjoyable. :D Can't wait until tomorrow, going to run through the game with a friend.

Delio

EvilMario said:
Additional moves, mostly.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61464

There's really too many to list. Things like Aggron received Head Smash, and a lot of Pokemon received Super Fang. Ho-Oh picked up Brave Bird, a lot of Pokemon picked up Low Kick (a surprisingly good amount that required a fighting move), and Heal Bell. Most Ghost obtained Pain Split (giving Rotom forms their only form of recovery outside of Rest/Talk, and Gengar and additional way to defeat Blissey via Substitute/Pain Split/Focus Blast), and Feraligatr now has Aqua Jet for his Swords Dance set.

Headsmash is so lovely on Aggron. Bred a Aron with it just for my HG run.

:lol :lol
oh you guys. sometimes I wish pokemon wasn't so complex these days with EV's and IV's and whatnot. Back in the day we could simply say this pokemon has a more powerful attack so it was better, but now it has to be a super-bred, high EV trained, with a defensive move-set that doesn't always include having the the most powerful attack. Remember back in the day we taught hyper-beam to all of our pokemon simply because it had 150 power? Not anymore

Tiktaalik

Dear lord after being absolutely certain I would sit this pokemon out, today when I saw that EB games had a deal on I last minute impulse pre-ordered this. Let the madness begin.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
jman2050 said:
Personally, the fact that there's so much depth in the metagame even involving all the intentionally overpowered pokemon just reaffirms how awesome the battle system is in general. And that's a lot of fun on the competitive side :p
Well I was talking about competitive side coming out of nowhere, when we spit out joking jabs of yore for our opposing Pokemon featured on the cover of SS/GG. ;P :lol

Gravijah

perfectchaos007 said:
:lol :lol
oh you guys. sometimes I wish pokemon wasn't so complex these days with EV's and IV's and whatnot. Back in the day we could simply say this pokemon has a more powerful attack so it was better, but now it has to be a super-bred, high EV trained, with a defensive move-set that doesn't always include having the the most powerful attack. Remember back in the day we taught hyper-beam to all of our pokemon simply because it had 150 power? Not anymore

You still can, just don't argue with competitive battlers. :lol

Dogenzaka

Banned
I never even finished Platinum...I'm scared that the Pokemon burnout is starting to hit me. I hope I don't take home SS tomorrow and not even make it past the first 3 hours..

Ravidrath

Sort of off-topic...

I'm looking for a USB Wi-Fi dongle similar to the one Nintendo used to sell. Preferably Mac-compatible.

I have a "real" wireless router, but I'd like to have this as an option for taking my DS online so I don't have to reconfigure my wireless security every time I want to do it.

Anyone have experience with any of these Planex models Amazon sells?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015VOIC4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Lkr

Dogenzaka said:
I never even finished Platinum...I'm scared that the Pokemon burnout is starting to hit me. I hope I don't take home SS tomorrow and not even make it past the first 3 hours..
Don't worry, I hated D/P/Pt as well, after hyping them up so much. HG/SS won't let you down, according to my import copy. I haven't even played the copy I picked up last night at a mom and pop store yet though because I've been too damn busy.

I also wish Nintendo still sold the WiFi USB adapter, reconfiguring my router is so annoying

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got my copy. Am so glad there isn't some pre-req before you get to use poke walker.

Been breeding some stuff on my diamond copy to transfer over to SS. Going to start with a Riolu and a Gible just to make things interesting.

Forgot how long both of those take to hatch

Think the all mighty Furret will be my HM mule this game. He can use everything but fly, right?

Dogenzaka

Banned
Lkr said:
Don't worry, I hated D/P/Pt as well, after hyping them up so much. HG/SS won't let you down, according to my import copy. I haven't even played the copy I picked up last night at a mom and pop store yet though because I've been too damn busy.

I also wish Nintendo still sold the WiFi USB adapter, reconfiguring my router is so annoying

They stopped selling it?

Well that is stupid.

btkadams

Lkr said:
I'm getting up early for this shit tomorrow. Leaving the house at 8:30
lol my friend wants to do this. him and i are buying it tomorrow and he gave me a weird look when i said id text him at noon to go get it together.

mrkgoo

Right, so I didn't know this was coming out tomorrow. Will it likely be in stores?

Silver was my favourite pokemon version back in the day, and while I did get Sapphire Blue, and I THINK I bought a pokemon for DS, I really hated how the games were nothing more each time - just the same.

Will I like the remake of Silver?

Edit: I had to look it up. I think I have Pokemon Diamond. Didn't think much of it , so after that and Sapphire Blue, they pretty much killed the pokemon franchise for me . Was fire/red/leaf green for the DS?

ryan-ts

EvilMario said:

Ewww at competitive Pokemon. I don't even know if I want the game now, you have turned me off that much.

EvilMario said:

Anyone else miss the days when Pokemon strategy was "Hey this guy is using a grass Pokemon, so I'll use a fire one."?

Dogenzaka

Banned
Jokey665 said:
You know people have been playing competitively since Red/Green(/Blue), right?

Seriously.

I don't play competitive Pokemon (only because I have no idea how to start...:<) but really the wonder of Pokemon is being able to survive as both a casual player and a competitive player. Both pastures are open to whoever wants to learn.

Michan

Can somebody help me out?

I have $30 of trade credit on a Gamestop card and want to use it to pick up HGSS (in part) tomorrow. I was reading something about a 25%/50% bonus credit deal? How does that work?

I'm in Canada.

ryan-ts

Jokey665 said:
You know people have been playing competitively since Red/Green(/Blue), right?

Obviously thats not what I meant, read what he wrote. He's not talking about Pikachu getting a critical hit, he's talking about....well I don't even know what he's talking about.

Gravijah said:
Wait, I can't remember... Did the US lose the slot machines, too?

US pokemon games have ALWAYS had slots in the game room. Why would they take them out? Is gambling the difference between an E and an E10+ rating? if so, that would suck if Nintendo took them out for that reason.

Gravijah

funkmastergeneral said:
Can I transfer my pokemons from Diamond to my copy of Silver?

Of course.

perfectchaos007 said:
US pokemon games have ALWAYS had slots in the game room. Why would they take them out? Is gambling the difference between an E and an E10+ rating? if so, that would suck if Nintendo took them out for that reason.

I thought I heard something about them being removed, but I could be mistaken. I know they aren't in the Euro version.

Michan said:
Can somebody help me out?

I have $30 of trade credit on a Gamestop card and want to use it to pick up HGSS (in part) tomorrow. I was reading something about a 25%/50% bonus credit deal? How does that work?

I'm in Canada.

I assume it's running in Canada as well, but if you trade in games to GameStop you'll get an extra 50% trade in credit. It won't affect any credit you already have. Only runs for a couple more days though.

I haven't played a Pokemon game all the way through since Pokemon Red (Gameboy Version) and was kind of interested in trying these versions out because I had heard that these were the best of the original Gameboy games. Anyway, just wondering why people are saying that Silver is the best to get? Is the Pokewalker something that will be in all versions or is it some limited time thing like the wireless adapter in the GBA FireRed/LeafGreen games? Also, is anyone selling it for less than $40?

Gravijah

Big Papa Husker said:
I haven't played a Pokemon game all the way through since Pokemon Red (Gameboy Version) and was kind of interested in trying these versions out because I had heard that these were the best of the original Gameboy games. Anyway, just wondering why people are saying that Silver is the best to get? Also, is anyone selling it for less than $40?

Personal preference is the only reason people are saying Silver is the best.

Big Papa Husker said:
I haven't played a Pokemon game all the way through since Pokemon Red (Gameboy Version) and was kind of interested in trying these versions out because I had heard that these were the best of the original Gameboy games. Anyway, just wondering why people are saying that Silver is the best to get? Also, is anyone selling it for less than $40?
Amazon has Soul Silver for 32.54.

Gravijah said:
Of course.

Does anyone know if you can transfer Pokemon from other games to HG/SS? I know you can get a few Pokemon in the second Pokemon Ranger game, and a couple from the Wii game, would those transfer to HG/SS or just Diamond and Pearl?

Michan

rainking187 said:
I assume it's running in Canada as well, but if you trade in games to GameStop you'll get an extra 50% trade in credit. It won't affect any credit you already have. Only runs for a couple more days though.
When did this start? Because I got $30 for Zelda a week or two ago but don't remember the guy mentioning an extra promotion. I still have the receipt from when I traded it in.

Top Bottom