• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

bon

Metroid Killer said:
It's true you guys get Voltorb Flip, instead of the slot machines.

I wouldn't mind it if I were getting a western copy. I used 5 mins on the slot machines, and then I remembered why I hate then, went to the counter and bought coins instead. Never used them since.
Honestly that looks a lot more fun than the slots.

bon said:
Honestly that looks a lot more fun than the slots.
Yeah, though it's not hard to be more fun than something that isn't fun at all ;-)

But it seems that the Voltorb Flip is based less on luck compared to the slot machines.

Gravijah

Galactic Quail said:
I'm a little bummed out guys...

Turns out that I came up short on money, so now I can't buy the game opening day tomorrow... Oh well.

All I have is just a $15 deposit on the game, but that's it. won't be getting it for a while now till I find some way to make some fast cash. Thats how broke I am.

So yeah, enjoy the game tomorrow everyone.

I only JUST came up with the money for it, so I feel your pain. :( I'll name one of my first Pokemon after you! :D

I don't understand... If I were that broke on money, I don't think I would spend it on an expensive videogame? Wouldn't it be better for your economy to wait and buy it used instead?

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Metroid Killer said:
I don't understand... If I were that broke on money, I don't think I would spend it on an expensive videogame? Wouldn't it be better for your economy to wait and buy it used instead?

can't make a neogaf post about that, can you?

Gravijah

Metroid Killer said:

Maybe he has a budget set aside for games, and he had less than he thought, thus being "broke"?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
perfectchaos007 said:
thats totally lame. It's obvious that this was done so the game could be rated E instead of E10+. The lame ass ESRB counts gambling as an adult feature so it would have been rated E10+ with the slots. You win yet again Jack Thompson
Actually, iirc, its Europe's fault. Damn latte drinking euros!

Anyone who has a Razor Fang? I need it to evolve Gligar into Gliscor, and it can only be bought at the Battle Frontier in HG, no way I'm gonna spend 48 prescious Battle Points on that.

Send a pm if you are in a good mood :D

Gravijah

grandjedi6 said:

Actually, I think the reason the rest of the world got is because this minigame seems much better than the usual slots.

grandjedi6 said:

really? but this doesn't make sense. Isn't gambling like completely illegal in Japan? I remember watching a documentary on plachinco in japan and they talked about how it wasn't gambling because you traded your balls for prizes and not money, but you could trade the balls for gold in which you could sell the gold for market value next door. My point is, Slot machines are illegal in Japan, but in the pokemon game. Slot machines are legal in many parts of the US, but taken out of the game. smh

Gravijah said:
Actually, I think the reason the rest of the world got is because this minigame seems much better than the usual slots.

No! they can add the game if they wanted too, but don't take out the slots! They even took out the exchange corner. it's not even gambling. That was the point of the removal. So the ESRB wouldn't recognize it as gambling.

Gravijah

perfectchaos007 said:
really? but this doesn't make sense. Isn't gambling like completely illegal in Japan? I remember watching a documentary on plachinco in japan and they talked about how it wasn't gambling because you traded your balls for prizes and not money, but you could trade the balls for gold in which you could sell the gold for market value next door. My point is, Slot machines are illegal in Japan, but in the pokemon game. Slot machines are legal in many parts of the US, but taken out of the game. smh

No! they can add the game if they wanted too, but don't take out the slots! They even took out the exchange corner. it's not even gambling. That was the point of the removal. So the ESRB wouldn't recognize it as gambling.

But it was in DPPt and that's not E10+? Is it true they they took out the exchange corner, though?

Gravijah said:
Wait so I can't cheat anymore? :lol Do we still get items?

we better. IDK, I'm going to pick up this game in the morning. Nintendo knows removal of the very soul of the gamecorner wasn't going to stop anyone from purchasing this game, but a simple change from E to E10+ may deter some wacko parents from buying it for their 9 year old. And yes I know D/P/P were both rated E even with the slots, but I'm sure the ESRB changed their regulation guidelines and made gambling reference an automatic E10+! Let me conspirisize dammit!!!

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
perfectchaos007 said:
Let me conspirisize dammit!!!

RonPaul.jpg

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
If anyone cares the Aussie version is the US one, it has the ESRB warning and says Mom instead of Mum. Also Voltorb flip.

Metroid Killer said:
Anyone who has a Razor Fang? I need it to evolve Gligar into Gliscor, and it can only be bought at the Battle Frontier in HG, no way I'm gonna spend 48 prescious Battle Points on that.

Send a pm if you are in a good mood :D
Actually if anyone wants to lend me a Gliscor that would be cool too. I need it in order to breed a move down to Skorupi, so you would get it back again. Thanks.

Wiseblade

:lol @ Evil Mario. it was nice to see a little competitive discussion in here for a change. And I got to learn a lot about Ubers too. Forget using set ingame though.

Also, from what I know about Voltorb flip it's WAY better than the slot machine, especially in HGSS. it's just like the one one, which means you'll NEVER WIN. DPPt's one with pretty fun since with Clefairy it's pretty easy to get coins but the old school machines are just brutal. And anything that can be described as "picross, but with pokemon" is instantly awesome.

Alas even with Daylight saving time, I managed to lose some sleep despite my best efforts. I still plan to stop by work this morning and pick up my Soul Silver. Not sure if I want the guide though..... Oh nostalgia is going to hit me like semi in a few hours

Gravijah

Urban Scholar said:
Alas even with Daylight saving time, I managed to lose some sleep despite my best efforts. I still plan to stop by work this morning and pick up my Soul Silver. Not sure if I want the guide though..... Oh nostalgia is going to hit me like semi in a few hours

One of my favorite recent memories is waking up and buying Pokemon Pearl and Diamond, and then playing through Pearl the rest of the day. Picking up SS later is going to be awesome ( Haven't played GSC in so long...)

Magni

I haven't play Silver since my cartridge died three years ago. I'll probably get to playing it in two weeks though, by the time I get it in the mail =( This is gonna keep me busy until May 3rd :D

Gravijah

So... still ISO some clones of the event legendaries. Mew, Deoxys, etc. Hit me up in PM if anyone has any, not sure what I have to offer.

Edit: I have Arceus, Darkrai, Shaymin .

Gravijah said:
One of my favorite recent memories is waking up and buying Pokemon Pearl and Diamond, and then playing through Pearl the rest of the day. Picking up SS later is going to be awesome ( Haven't played GSC in so long...)

At most I'll probably manage to squeeze in a few hours before work today, but so help me that's going to be hours I will be in full hand held immersion.

TaKeRx

Gravijah said:
So... still ISO some clones of the event legendaries. Mew, Deoxys, etc. Hit me up in PM if anyone has any, not sure what I have to offer.

Edit: I have Arceus, Darkrai, Shaymin .

Legit? If so I have Deoxys from Gamestop.

Gravijah

TaKeRx said:
Legit? If so what do you want to trade those for?

Bah I forgot to asterisk these guys, I hacked the tickets for those three in on Pearl, so they aren't the same as the ones you get eventwise ( I don't think. ) I do have the Darkrai thinger sitting on my Platinum though, but I still need to beat it.

EzLink

Banned
TaKeRx said:
Legit? If so I have Deoxys from Gamestop.

I have a TRU Arceus I'd be willing to trade for Deoxys, if thats what you meant by that

And also FUCK YEAH SEAKING TODAY IS THE DAY!! ^_^

Time to head down to GS!

Wait a sec...

GS.... GameStop

GS.... GOLD AND SILVER!!

Today is gonna be a good one. Hope all you fellow PokeGAFers have an awesome nostalgic filled day!

Lkr

FUCK YEA JUST GOT HOME

I was first in line, and then these guys hopped out of a car(like 4 of em) and they had to be GAFers. They were shouting fuck yeah pokemon and ran in the store after me. While I was walking out, one guy said he wanted Heart Gold and the rest of the guys started yelling at him for getting HG:lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So is this going to turn into the official trade thread? I missed out on some event Pokemon (like Shaymin and Arcus).

I have a sizable army of legit MYSTRY Mew's that I can trade.

Haven't pulled them off my old GBA cart in a long time though so I have to wait 24 hours (Should be up later this afternoon). Will make another post later when I'm ready.

Is there any way to trick the clock on the GBA -> DS transfer?

upandaway

I saw some of the Voltorb setups and... it's pretty much luck based.
On level 1 you usually have 2 rows of 0 voltorbs meaning you can just flip them, but outside of that, you have nothing. It's still a shot in the dark and based off chance (you'd have a better chance on rows with 1 voltorb than with 3).

I'm kinda disappointed. If I'm not getting straight out gambling, at least give me Picross or something. Not a weird combination of the two.

Delio

Went into Target early and they had plenty of copies on a big display with the D/P/P and Pokemon Ranger set up with them. Box is pretty big heh man being able to understand what the pokemon do when you talk to them makes it even more cuter :).

My game better arrive on tuesday or there's going to be war, I have a night shift on the day as well so I could play it all day pretty much.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Feel the Swift said:
What does that do? I didn't try it.

Set style mirrors 'competitive' play a bit more, and adds a bit of challenge to the game by not allowing you to switch your Pokemon immediately after an opponents Pokemon faints. Thus, switching your Feraligatr into Golem is a bit riskier, because Earthquake/Stone Edge from him will hit hard.

CPU doesn't switch nearly enough (very seldom) in these games. It would be much more interesting if they'd pull their Water Pokemon away from an anticipated Thunderbolt, bringing in your immune Ground type.

Maybe next generation!
No way

ryan-ts

I got the game from my Wal Mart, guess Canadian Wal Marts don't get the extra strap because I didn't get one with my game. I got Sexy Soul Silver but I also got the Ho-oh figurine. The figurine is a lot smaller then I thought it would be, thats a good thing. The Pokewalker is also smaller then I thought it would be, also a good thing.

The first thing that stood out while playing the game is how obnoxious the music in Elm's lab is, seriously that shit is absolutely ridiculous.

Lkr

ryan-ts said:
I got the game from my Wal Mart, guess Canadian Wal Marts don't get the extra strap because I didn't get one with my game. I got Sexy Soul Silver but I also got the Ho-oh figurine. The figurine is a lot smaller then I thought it would be, thats a good thing. The Pokewalker is also smaller then I thought it would be, also a good thing.

The first thing that stood while playing the game is how obnoxious the music in Elm's lab is, seriously that shit is absolutely ridiculous.
Don't talk shit about music in this game :O
Gameboy Player is the best part of this game

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
EvilMario said:
Set style mirrors 'competitive' play a bit more, and adds a bit of challenge to the game by not allowing you to switch your Pokemon immediately after an opponents Pokemon faints. Thus, switching your Feraligatr into Golem is a bit riskier, because Earthquake/Stone Edge from him will hit hard.

CPU doesn't switch nearly enough (very seldom) in these games. It would be much more interesting if they'd pull their Water Pokemon away from an anticipated Thunderbolt, bringing in your immune Ground type.

Maybe next generation!
No way
If you want a challenge from the CPU that mimics link battle rules, just use the Frontier. Set style just means more work for the main quest.

Does anyone know if they will update the WiiWare game Pokemon Ranch to be compatible with HG/SS? Did they do it for the Japanese version?

El Pescado said:
Does anyone know if they will update the WiiWare game Pokemon Ranch to be compatible with HG/SS? Did they do it for the Japanese version?

They updated it for platinum and im 99% sure they updated it in japan for HG/SS

To me bulbapedia/serebii will be the official guide to all pokemon ;-)

Seriously, it would take an incredible guide plus bonus stuff to make me buy it, when bulbapedia covers pretty much everything there is.

Top Bottom