• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Fantasy Final said:
Holy crap. I bought the official guide and this guide is one of the best I've seen. Is it ok to post of some pages of the guide?

Thats fine I think, its only reviews from magazines that aren't allowed, would highly appreciate some pics of it as I will import it if its good.

I do agree with Metroid that it would need to be an awesome guide to beat the awesomeness of Serebii, the fact the guide is split into 2 parts instantly worries me that it won't be the ultimate resource.

Inferno313 said:
When can I use the PokeWalker though?
As soon as you have a pokemon inside a PC, then choose the 3rd option before starting the game. You need to activate it as soon as possible if you want to unlock everything it has, every day counts!

celebi23

Picking up both a little later this afternoon. First game(s) that I've preordered in a looong time :lol I've got a bunch of (legit) GameStop Pichus & (legit) MYSTRY Mews if anyone is interested. Looking for: GameStop Jirachi & TRU Arceus :D Shoot me a PM if interested

Balb

So many "but wait! one more thing!" encounters in the beginning of the game.

Also, I accidentally picked cyndaquil as my starter and I'm very sad.

Picked this up just a moment ago, ran into a friend and his younger brother who I thought wasn't into Pokemon. Go figure. Nostalgia & hype are subsequently merging into a powerful force.

As for the guide I decided to pass, I figure discussing things here would better to keep the thread moving on the right foot.

Starter totodile just like when I was 14 years old, wow memories.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
kyo_daikun said:
Don't be, you made the best choice in the whole game.

Real men use Chikorita.

Chikorita does receive Razor Leaf which is a higher powered 'first STAB' move than any other starter, and of course struggles horribly against the first two gyms. Cyndaquil basically becomes ZOMGWTFBBQ amazing by the time you're able to buy Fire Blast, just after the second gym. And there are a limited number of fire types in HGSS, prior to the Elite 4. And almost all of those require a Fire Stone to evolve.. which can be tedious to get in this game. Totodile is a fine Pokemon, but there are so many Water types, as most games.. and he does not offer a good secondary STAB like Swampert/Empoleon.

Eteric Rice

Metroid Killer said:
To me bulbapedia/serebii will be the official guide to all pokemon ;-)

Seriously, it would take an incredible guide plus bonus stuff to make me buy it, when bulbapedia covers pretty much everything there is.

*strangle*

It will always be Bulbagarden to me! ;_;

Ah, the memories.

Just got back from Gamestop with both games (one for me, one for my brother) and a new DSi. Now comes the hard part, waiting for that DSi to charge.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Blu_LED said:
Just got back from Gamestop with both games (one for me, one for my brother) and a new DSi. Now comes the hard part, waiting for that DSi to charge.
You have to charge it first? ;_; I guess I can wait a little bit longer when I get it and SS from UPS tomorrow.

InfiniteNine said:
You have to charge it first? ;_; I guess I can wait a little bit longer when I get it and SS from UPS tomorrow.
You don't have to, but if you want better battery life in the long run it's better to give it a full charge before turning it on.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Blu_LED said:
You don't have to, but if you want better battery life in the long run it's better to give it a full charge before turning it on.
Ah, I see. Forgot about that in my anticipation for having a DS and a Pokemon game again, so thanks for the reminder!

I now have 2 Ho-Oh figurines. I will keep this one unopened.
1.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

6.jpg
8.jpg

I lol'd at this one
2.jpg

mrkgoo

I'm still wondering if I should get this. I loved the first two pokemon games, but felt that Sapphire blue and Diamond were regressions/rehashes.

Exactly what does Gold/Silver offer as a modern pokemon game? What features does it have? The first post is not that informative.

Will I like this if I have disliked the more recent additions to the series? (After the last gold/silver).

Zilch

Banned
If you feel that the games with better graphics/more features are "regressions" then I'd advise you not to buy this game.

mrkgoo

Zilch said:
If you feel that the games with better graphics/more features are "regressions" then I'd advise you not to buy this game.

Ok, so the games are nothing more than graphical updates? I guess I'll have to pass. Thanks for the help.

I really wanted to like Sapphire, but it offered less than Gold and Silver. And I wanted to like Diamond also, but it never really did anything for me. I guess they were still working not eh same formula. Maybe I was just burnt out on Pokemon. I dunno.

Thanks, again.

mjc

mrkgoo said:
Ok, so the games are nothing more than graphical updates? I guess I'll have to pass. Thanks for the help.

I really wanted to like Sapphire, but it offered less than Gold and Silver. And I wanted to like Diamond also, but it never really did anything for me. I guess they were still working not eh same formula. Maybe I was just burnt out on Pokemon. I dunno.

Thanks, again.

You missed the bit he mentioned about added features ;)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
mjc said:
If he didn't care about Diamond and the idea of revisiting the GSC world doesn't really appeal to him then he's not going to care about HGSS.

Balb

mrkgoo said:
I'm still wondering if I should get this. I loved the first two pokemon games, but felt that Sapphire blue and Diamond were regressions/rehashes.

Exactly what does Gold/Silver offer as a modern pokemon game? What features does it have? The first post is not that informative.

Will I like this if I have disliked the more recent additions to the series? (After the last gold/silver).

It's basically gold/silver with all the features of Platinum, with a few more added features like the Pokewalker, Pokemon following you (like yellow) and stuff like that.

Based on what you're saying though, it doesn't sound like you'd like it.

mrkgoo

mjc said:

I guess I did. I suppose Sapphire incrementally improved some of the mechanics, but they were mostly insignificant to me. I always keep hoping that they will change something a bit more than just incrementally update - I meant they felt like regressions because Gold/Silver was such an amazing update to the original Pokemon. The real time aspect and the Cellphone and update to the backpack, addition of breeding etc was amazing. And the Second map.

Sapphire took out the clock. Didn't have a crazy new map after completing. It just felt like less.

I keep hoping each new one would push the series forward like Silver/Gold did.

Seeing as this is a remake of the original silver/gold, I'm at least interested again (I felt burned by Sapphire and Diamond, so I passed on Fire-red/leaf-green - I did NOT want just a remake).

I'm still unsure of what SoulSilver/HeartGold adds. Basically, I haven't been paying attention to the series for many years, so I just have no idea. I assume the clock is still in, but I'm not sure if it's implemented like the original, or if it's more like Diamond or whatever.

I' d just like to know what this remake offers.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The game will only be released tomorrow here, and I'll probably leave my class to buy my copies. Can't wait for them.

mrkgoo

Sixfortyfive said:
If he didn't care about Diamond and the idea of revisiting the GSC world doesn't really appeal to him then he's not going to care about HGSS.

Balb said:
It's basically gold/silver with all the features of Platinum, with a few more added features like the Pokewalker, Pokemon following you (like yellow) and stuff like that.

Based on what you're saying though, it doesn't sound like you'd like it.

That's a shame. I never played Platinum. I don't play the different versions of the same game (i.e. out of Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, I only got diamond).

SO I have no idea what Platinum had that the other two didn't.

I was blown away by the original release of Gold/Silver. It was easily my favourite Pokemon game, but again, I just don't know what SoulSilver has taken from the original, and what it has taken from more modern Pokemon games.

I guess I'm saying I WANT to like it. But if it is more like Diamond/Sapphire/Leaf-green, I probably won't like it.

My personal experience was
Red->Gold->Pearl

I skipped the GBA games and went back in the pkmn craze with Pearl...and I absolutely loved it.

I believe that you can't really let die the pokemon master within you. Somewhen, he will rise again.

mrkgoo

Fantasy Final said:
My personal experience was
Red->Gold->Pearl

I skipped the GBA games and went back in the pkmn craze with Pearl...and I absolutely loved it.

I believe that you can't really let die the pokemon master within you. Somewhen, he will rise again.

Ha, that actually got me a bit nostalgic. Good times. Maybe that is why I disliked Diamond because I was playing something that was incrementally improved from a game that was already just incrementally improved. Will SoulSilver reignite that?

I think I have only bought like 4 console games in the past year. I've really left gaming behind somewhat (iPhone is my primary gaming device).

ryan-ts

Zilch said:

I'm not even very far into the game and I can see this will be the ultimate version of these games. Still, I prefer the sprites, world graphics and music (until I get the original music) of the first version. They're simple but they work within the world of Pokemon, there's just a certain charm to it.The extras, including the badass Pokewalker and running show, push the new version over the top for me though.

TheCardPlayer said:
All sold out. I found a Gold copy but, come on...Gold? Hahahahaha

Yes! I love the loyalty to the superior version.

Ondore

Heart Gold and Subpar Silver GET!! (Thanks to the EB Games Canada trade 2 DS games offer).

Also, the lady at the Pokemon Center doesn't hope to see you again anymore. WTF?

mrkgoo

ryan-ts said:
I'm not even very far into the game and I can see this will be the ultimate version of these games. Still, I prefer the sprites, world graphics and music (until I get the original music) of the first version. They're simple but they work within the world of Pokemon and Silver/Gold, there's just a certain charm to it.The extras, including the badass Pokewalker and running show, push the new version over the top for me though.

Still, it seems most people are recommending me not to buy this, so they're probably right.

What exactly does the pokewalker add to the game?

Just picked up Heart Gold from Gamestop! Soul Silver should be arriving via Amazon earlier in the week.

And I just want to say...GODDAMN is the box for Heart Gold sexy as hell.

mrkgoo said:
Still, it seems most people are recommending me not to buy this, so they're probably right.

What exactly does the pokewalker add to the game?

The ability to get new Pokemons, EXP, and PHAT LOOT outside of the game :lol .

Basically it's a pedometer that you drop a Pokemon inside. Your pokemon gets EXP while in there, and you can engage in very basic battles that let you catch Pokemon, as well as do a very basic item hunt that lets you earn items.

When you sync it back up with the DS game all those Pokemon and items caught get sent too. Also, the more "Watts" you collect let you unlock more "routes" for the Pokewalker, which have better Pokemon and items to aquire.

mrkgoo said:
Why is the Silver version better?

Its not, not by a long shot! (its a nostalgia thing, been discussed and viciously disputed over the last few pages)

Also thanks Fantasy final for the guide pics, it does look nice and there's just something so retro about going through a guide than just looking at some internet pages, and retro is why most of us is buying the games really isnt it?

survivor

Banned
This so BS. I got to EB Games half hour after they opened and the guy said they were out of figurines. WTF? He even said there was a line up for the game. Man I know Pokemon is big but I didn't expect it to be that big.

Anyway I got Superior Silver and picked Cyndaquil. Couldn't wait to get the auto running. Good job on that Game Freak.

Top Bottom