• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Netto-kun

This thread reminded me that I should put my PokéWalker in my pocket more often.:lol

Metroid Killer said:
The PokeWalker is cheat-proof(sorta), if you just shake it fast in your hand it wont count the steps.
Steps are counted if you juggle the PokéWalker. Unless they changed that for the US version.

timnich

Metroid Killer said:
Only 99633 watts to go!

Fuck you are lucky! No you'll have to resest both the pokewalker and the game. I can trade you a japanese cyndaquil if you want though.
Oh. Thanks, but I don't have wifi at the moment, so that will have to wait. Guess I'll start with a water type for the first time ever. Kinda screws up my plans. What good fire types can I get early in the game?

Bii

timnich said:
Traded in 2 games to get Superior Silver at Gamestop. Got a free Guitar hero bag for some reason...

I wanted to start with cyndaquil, but I noticed that Totodile was a shiny. Can I store Totodile on my pokewalker, start a new game and transfer it over?

Hot damn!

I ordered my games from Amazon so they won't be here until Wednesday. Granted, I'm in no rush since I'm playing FFXIII at the moment.

survivor said:
I generally use a theme. Name them after game characters, anime characters, use their Japanese names if not too long, or just name them after something random.

You have to love it when people have no idea what you're using until the last second

Zilch said:
This sounds sick, but having a Pokewalker will probably motivate me to jog more often than I already do. SLAVE 2 PKMN.

You are not alone on this!

Salaadin said:
The music in this is so good so far. Im loving the battle theme.

I agree, I also like the music when you receive an item. Haven't heard it before. Played for a half hour so far, and about to try the Pokewalker out now before I play for the rest of the day non-stop. :lol

timnich said:
I wanted to start with cyndaquil, but I noticed that Totodile was a shiny. Can I store Totodile on my pokewalker, start a new game and transfer it over?

I wish pokemon games would show me this kindof loving just for once ever.

Ho-oh for the win and such... (giving up the faith, way too many gold haters here)

Magni

timnich said:
Traded in 2 games to get Superior Silver at Gamestop. Got a free Guitar hero bag for some reason...

1 out of 8192.. wow. Can't you trade it to your D/P/Pt and start over? No one near you have a DS if you only have one?

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
CcrooK said:
What is the difference between Gold and Silver anyway? What makes Silver better?

Superior Lugia title screen and boxart, and obviously superior exclusive Pokemons.

Unicorn

EzLink said:
what the fuck is up with the pokewalker? I'm not sure its registering steps correctly... mine is at 51 right now (even though that seems kinda low) so i started to just shake it a bunch and the number didn't go up. I'm continuing to do this and nothing is happening. Also there is no satisfying clicking sound signifying a step being registered (though maybe it just doesn't have that in general)

am i doing something wrong?

EDIT: Wait, maybe it just doesn't register steps unless it is in sleep mode? seems kinda silly, but i shook it a bit more after the screen went blank and turned it back on and i had more steps registered. weird

EDIT 2: although i guess maybe it isn't silly since if it isn't in "sleep mode" that means you are probably looking at it, and if you are looking at it you aren't walking.
To "cheat" it, you need to lay it flat and sort of oscillate it with your hands so it wibbles in a circular motions.

Not as worthwhile to cheat like shaking, so I'm glad I actually need to walk to get it to work.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
When will you be able to obtain the "GB Player" that changes the music into the original GB 8-bit sound?

Netto-kun

Calantus said:
Anyone test the pokewalker while riding a bike?
It works, but I think it counts less steps for whatever reasons.:lol

Ookami-kun said:
When will you be able to obtain the "GB Player" that changes the music into the original GB 8-bit sound?
Get all 16 badges, talk to the Game Freak employees in Celadon Mansion.

timnich

MagniHarvald said:
1 out of 8192.. wow. Can't you trade it to your D/P/Pt and start over? No one near you have a DS if you only have one?
No, I only have one DS, and as far as I know, am the only with a DS out of my friends. No big deal, will just have to trade with someone once I get wifi going in my house. I was surprised that the Totodile showed up shiny on the selection screen, I always assumed that you would find out after you pick them. I forgot what Totodile's real colours were, so I almost missed it :lol

Does the Jirachi do anything in this game like the event Pichu does? And if it does is there any problem with using Jirachi during my playthrough? Don't want to ruin a chance of some event.

Kad5

So it seems to me from my observations that Chickorita is considered to be the worst starter...with Totodile being the all around best. Although Cynadquil also seems nice i'll probably stick with Totodile.

TheCardPlayer said:
Superior Lugia title screen and boxart, and obviously superior exclusive Pokemons.

Heart gold exclusives

Mankey/ Primeape (both wicked, love fightningt poke's)
Growlithe/ Arcanine (Arc is rated as one of the best fire types that aren't majorly overused or uber)
Spinarak/ Ariados (Don't like spiders...)
Gligar/ Gliscor (Gliscor is awesome no one can deny)
Mantyke/ Mantine (mmm meh)
Phanpy/ Donphan (Good normals I do rate them)
Sableeye (Coolness factor through the roof)
Claydol (Powerful pokemon if you give it a chance)
Kyogre (Everyone knows about this guy, words dont do him justice)

Shite Silver exclusives

Vulpix/ Ninetales (I like these guys but they aren't amazingly useful)
Meowth/ Persian (Not a fan really, meowths somewhat cool)
Ledyba/ Ledian (meh)
Teddiursa/ Ursaring (Urs is a good pokemon won't deny it)
Delibird (I like him but totally useless)
Skarmory (Don't like this guy but I know others rate it)
Mawile (Rubbish)
Gulpin/ Swalot (Rubbish)
Groudon (Good but nowhere near Kyogre)

Gold wins, the debate is officially over!

Blizzard

Banned
I'll probably get both eventually, but (nationalistic colorist fanboyism aside ;p) are there any advantages of each version over the other aside from which pokemon you can get? I found a list in each, and I noticed that on Amazon one normal software only version (which presumably still includes the pokewalker?) is like $2 cheaper than the other. Silver seems to include two fewer pokemon than the other, and gold gets a legendary. Really I don't care much about most of the unique ones, since stuff like victreebel, pinsir, and scyther are apparently in both. Growlithe is nice, and kyogre is nice. Ninetales is cool and groudon is cool on the other side.

Anything else I missed, aside from the miscellaneous unique pokemon and the different levels for the legendary ones?

*edit* Other posts on this thread already addressed the pokemon thing. I forgot to mention that mankey/primeape/meowth/skarmory are also relatively cool.

VGChampion said:
Does the Jirachi do anything in this game like the event Pichu does? And if it does is there any problem with using Jirachi during my playthrough? Don't want to ruin a chance of some event.

The jirachi unlocks a special course for the pokewalker (night sky course I beleive) when you talk to someone in heart gold or soul silver, you can use it and level it as much as you want it wont effect it.

Netto-kun

VGChampion said:
The event Jirachi unlocks the Edge of the Night's Sky course for the PokéWalker, that's about it. And no, no problems using the Jirachi for the main game, as far as I know.

Edit: Beaten.:lol

kyo_daikun said:
The jirachi unlocks a special course for the pokewalker (night sky course I beleive) when you talk to someone in heart gold or soul silver, you can use it and level it as much as you want it wont effect it.

Netto-kun said:
The event Jirachi unlocks the Edge of the Night's Sky course for the PokéWalker, that's about it. And no, no problems using the Jirachi for the main game, as far as I know.

Edit: Beaten.:lol

Sweet thanks.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh, and I don't care about the box art. Side note, I'll probably never ever get all pokemon in a specific color game since I always miss event pokemon and I don't want to trade with people for them. :lol

Calantus

Kad5 said:
So it seems to me from my observations that Chickorita is considered to be the worst starter...with Totodile being the all around best. Although Cynadquil also seems nice i'll probably stick with Totodile.

He isn't that bad, at least in the original silver. People just don't prefer grass pokemon.

TheCardPlayer

kyo_daikun said:
Crap gold exclusives

Mankey/ Primeape (horrible design!)
Growlithe/ Arcanine (Puppies. Meh!)
Spinarak/ Ariados (Awesome spiders...in crappy gold!!!)
Gligar/ Gliscor (Denied. Gliscor sucks!)
Mantyke/ Mantine (MEH)
Phanpy/ Donphan (Failure of a Pokemon, as so's the evolution)
Sableeye (Coolness factor through the roof...indeed)
Claydol (...He's....cool.)
Kyogre (Only great exclusive)

Superior Silver exclusives

Vulpix/ Ninetales (SO AWESOME)
Meowth/ Persian (SO AWESOME)
Ledyba/ Ledian (SO AWESOME)
Teddiursa/ Ursaring (SO AWESOME)
Delibird (SO AWESOME)
Skarmory (SO AWESOME)
Mawile (SO AWESOME)
Gulpin/ Swalot (SO AWESOME)
Groudon (SO AWESOME)

Gold loses, the debate is officially over!

Hahaha, you miserable failure! Continue preaching the FAIL of Bitch Gold! The ultimate edition of failure! Another win for Superior Silver. :D

BTW, this is all in the name of good fun. Just so dumbasses don't get confused. Gold still fails though

TheCardPlayer said:
Hahaha, you miserable failure! Continue preaching the FAIL of Bitch Gold! The ultimate edition of failure! Another win for Superior Silver. :D

BTW, this is all in the name of good fun. Just so dumbasses don't get confused. Gold still fails though

Hahaha I can't beleive I wrote that entirely honest list of pokemon and totally non-biased points on each :)lol ) just for you to come along and just put awesome next to all of the silver exclusives, gulpin? Awesome? Not in this reality eveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer.

Ronabo said:
Is the battle system faster than Diamond/Pearl?

Much faster, you will cry tears of joy for sure.

TheCardPlayer

kyo_daikun said:
Hahaha I can't beleive I wrote that entirely honest list of pokemon and totally non-biased points on each :)lol ) just for you to come along and just put awesome next to all of the silver exclusives, gulpin? Awesome? Not in this reality eveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer.

GLISCOR FAILS!!!!!!!111111

LowParry

I've only asked between the two versions since this will be my first Pokemon game that I've picked up since the Red/Blue days. Are the "exclusive" Pokemon trade-able between the two versions?

Blizzard

Banned
To be fair, gulpin was pretty amazing in SSBB, eh ate items and didn't afraid of anything.

CcrooK said:
I've only asked between the two versions since this will be my first Pokemon game that I've picked up since the Red/Blue days. Are the "exclusive" Pokemon trade-able between the two versions?
Yup.

TheCardPlayer said:
GLISCOR FAILS!!!!!!!111111

I was sitting here specifically raging over that one, he is awesome saucem you dirty wench.

How did you even manage to type Mawile so awesome without having a thorough mental breakdown? :D

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Lkr said:
Don't talk shit about music in this game :O
Gameboy Player is the best part of this game
What does the Gameboy Player exactly do? I only know the Game Boy Player as an add-on to GameCube.

theluma

Gonna get my Dad to pick this up for me early whilst he's in the states. So freakin excited.

So is there a good run-down of all the differences or is it just that list of Pokémon and the slightly different legendary plot?

Lkr

damn, I haven't really been playing. Took a nap and now posting on GAF. I'm less motivated due to my damn import copy

Blizzard

Banned
CcrooK said:
Ah. Well the wife is getting silver so I guess we'll be able to trade those off in the long run. Win/win I guess. :lol
Plus some pokemon only evolve when traded, so it'll definitely work out (as long as you have two DS's). :p

For the person who asked, the gameboy player replaces the music with the original 8-bit style music, I think. I hope the normal music isn't horrible though...I saw that one person complaining about the lab music.

isny

napkin dispenser
Just a few hours in.

My FC if anyone wants to trade/battle. 2064 1330 8961

Any advice on starting lineup? Have a zubat, geodude, and totodile so far. (Only in violet city, just finished the first gym)

theluma said:
Gonna get my Dad to pick this up for me early whilst he's in the states. So freakin excited.

So is there a good run-down of all the differences or is it just that list of Pokémon and the slightly different legendary plot?

Pretty much so, you can get both Ho-oh and lugia in each game but they are different levels in each game (Ho-oh is 50 in gold and 70 in silver, same for lugia but reversed game wise)

red shoe paul said:
Man, I'm thinking about making NeoGAF Soul Silver Defense Force avatars. :lol

Yeah they need them... Gold defenders are too powerful to need wimpy avatars to portray their beliefs!

isny said:
Just a few hours in.

Any advice on starting lineup? Have a zubat, geodude, and totodile so far. (Only in violet city, just finished the first gym)

Try and get a mareep their one of the better wild pokemon you find near the beginning, if you get one in Heart gold its power is 1000 times that of one found in silver...

Lkr

isny said:
Just a few hours in.

advice? set up the pokewalker :p

Top Bottom