• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

If a Gold exclusive GOLD Arcanine isn't enough reason to get HG, I don't know what is!

Spr_4h_059_s.png

;-)

kyo_daikun said:
Also thanks Fantasy final for the guide pics, it does look nice and there's just something so retro about going through a guide than just looking at some internet pages, and retro is why most of us is buying the games really isnt it?
forgot to mention the guide is 352 pages.

Metroid Killer said:
If a Gold exclusive GOLD Arcanine isn't enough reason to get HG, I don't know what is!

Spr_4h_059_s.png

;-)
omg really? Do want

CoolS

Ondore said:
Heart Gold and Subpar Silver GET!! (Thanks to the EB Games Canada trade 2 DS games offer).

Also, the lady at the Pokemon Center doesn't hope to see you again anymore. WTF?

YEAH!!!!

Fantasy Final said:
omg really? Do want

Yes you really do get one when you buy Gold, silver gets nothing!

Silver sucks!

If anyone fancies coming to the UK with a copy of Hyperpowered Gold for me then I will repay you with extreme amounts of love...

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
kyo_daikun said:
Yes you really do get one when you buy Gold, silver gets nothing!

Silver sucks!

Quiet you!!!!! Keep your shitty Ho-Oh title screen. Ho-Oh is a goddamn pussy!!!!!!

GRRRRR!

kyo_daikun said:
They updated it for platinum and im 99% sure they updated it in japan for HG/SS

Hmm... I hope they do. The HG/SS guide actually states that My Pokemon Ranch only works with Diamond and Pearl...

Delio

Anyone feel like assisting me in trading a few eggs over to HG from Pearl? I really dont want Quilava and Mareep outpacing everone so early >.<.

I just have to say, i hate all of you Silver people. I feel so small since everyone thinks Lugia>Ho-Oh.

Besides that though, i'm very excited to get it, i'm just leaving now. Hopefully this game will be able to get me back into this series again.

kyo_daikun said:
If anyone fancies coming to the UK with a copy of Hyperpowered Gold for me then I will repay you with extreme amounts of love...

I bought an American version of Diamond off of Amazon.co.uk way back when, but there don't seem to be any private sellers with HG or SS up.

And I'm still torn over which version to get too.

This time around my brother has no money, so he wouldn't be able to buy the alternate version and I'm not sure whether to get Gold, again, or go with Silver this time.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
CruxisMana said:
I bought an American version of Diamond off of Amazon.co.uk way back when, but there don't seem to be any private sellers with HG or SS up.

And I'm still torn over which version to get too.

This time around my brother has no money, so he wouldn't be able to buy the alternate version and I'm not sure whether to get Gold, again, or go with Silver this time.

Just order it from videogamesplus. I'm in the UK and they shipped my preorder on Friday.

TheCardPlayer

Gunstarheroes said:
I just have to say, i hate all of you Silver people. I feel so small since everyone thinks Lugia>Ho-Oh.

Why be pissed at people...because they are correct? Ho-Oh is just a big chicken. Lugia is win and awesomeness incarnate. Don't be a chicken lover, man. Do the right thing. Pick Superior Silver like real men.

ryan-ts said:
Before I go for my run I thought I'd post this pick to further show my allegiance to the better version

IMG_2056-1.jpg

I just don't understand it, Lugia hides in some caves whining like a bitch whereas Ho-oh is the most renowned arsonist in the pokemon world yet everyone thinks lugia is better?

Mad world we live in...

mrkgoo

Inferno313 said:
The ability to get new Pokemons, EXP, and PHAT LOOT outside of the game :lol .

Basically it's a pedometer that you drop a Pokemon inside. Your pokemon gets EXP while in there, and you can engage in very basic battles that let you catch Pokemon, as well as do a very basic item hunt that lets you earn items.

When you sync it back up with the DS game all those Pokemon and items caught get sent too. Also, the more "Watts" you collect let you unlock more "routes" for the Pokewalker, which have better Pokemon and items to aquire.

Interesting.

I doubt I'd use it. Man, I'm still kinda torn about this release. Still not really sure what this game has. It has the clock and date, at least, right? Uses the built-in DS clock, meaning I can change it?

TheCardPlayer

kyo_daikun said:
I just don't understand it, Lugia hides in some caves whining like a bitch whereas Ho-oh is the most renowned arsonist in the pokemon world yet everyone thinks lugia is better?

Mad world we live in...

Simple. Some people suffer from nincompoopitis, which is a rare disease which can convince one that Ho-Oh is better than Lugia. Which is false, because Ho-Oh is a huge chicken made out of fail and lose. :D

mrkgoo said:
Interesting.

I doubt I'd use it. Man, I'm still kinda torn about this release. Still not really sure what this game has. It has the clock and date, at least, right? Uses the built-in DS clock, meaning I can change it?
Yes the game follows the clock in your DS. Certain pokemon only appear at certain times during a day, weekly stuff happens all over the game. The pokewalker also syncs with the clock, which actually helped me a couple of times where I forgot to bring my phone with me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I just noticed this thread.

I just started playing the Japanese version of Soul Silver last week and am about 11 hours into it (just got the 4th badge). I had no idea the US release was today.

This is actually my first Pokémon game as I somehow missed the wave when the series first came out. So far I am really enjoying it and can see why so many people get addicted to the series.

I started with a Hinoarashi (Cynadaquil) in English I think and just got his final evolution. Is it a good idea to be leveling up multiple Pokémon simultaneously? So far I have been using my first guy exclusively. I have been catching other Pokémon, but I haven't been using them in battle at all.

Zefah said:
I started with a Hinoarashi (Cynadaquil) in English I think and just got his final evolution. Is it a good idea to be leveling up multiple Pokémon simultaneously? So far I have been using my first guy exclusively. I have been catching other Pokémon, but I haven't been using them in battle at all.
Cool, I'm in the same position as you. Haven't played pokemon since I got Red back in the days, but decided to import HeartGold in january and now I'm back into the world of pokemon big time.

It's a good idea to have a main team of 6 pokemons. You can get through with just one strong pokemon, but it's not that fun. And the less creatures you rely on, the more in trouble you'll be when facing an opponment that is supereffective against you.

Zefah said:
For me I try to level up all my pokemons evenly when It's possible. It's good to have all types of pokemon so you can fight with the weekness of the others. But I always consider my starter pokemon as my Main.

defel

Zefah said:
So far I have been using my first guy exclusively. I have been catching other Pokémon, but I haven't been using them in battle at all.

You can use your starter exclusively for so long but at some point you will be caught out and the rest of your squad will catch up. I always levelled them equally, especially if I knew the pokemon would be with me for a long time

Gonna get this next weekend, not played a pokemon seriously since firered

mrkgoo

Metroid Killer said:
Yes the game follows the clock in your DS. Certain pokemon only appear at certain times during a day, weekly stuff happens all over the game. The pokewalker also syncs with the clock, which actually helped me a couple of times where I forgot to bring my phone with me.

Sweet, thanks. If it has just the date/weekly/time stuff, it makes it a much more interesting title than the others. I thought that feature was neat. I never really try to catch them all, so I never got annoyed by it - I just thought it was really novel.

I can still change the time, though right? This is important, as if I move, I need to be abel to adjust the time. The old version never had allowances for that besides daylight savings.

Are there DSi specific features? Online features?

Zefah said:
Wow, I just noticed this thread.

I just started playing the Japanese version of Soul Silver last week and am about 11 hours into it (just got the 4th badge). I had no idea the US release was today.

This is actually my first Pokémon game as I somehow missed the wave when the series first came out. So far I am really enjoying it and can see why so many people get addicted to the series.

You should level up a variety of pokemon. The key to the strategies is the strengths and weakness that each pokemon type have against others. You need a well-rounded team to take out later enemies. For example, your cyndaquill is a fire-type. It is strong against grass, but weak against water. When you come up across someone with predominantly water, and you haven't got something to battle it with, you'll find it a lot tougher.

Unicorn

Gravijah said:
Anyone who does this, please tell me how it goes. Thinking about running down there.
Went there at midnight, but the games they had weren't the ones that included the figure and rubber case for the pokewalker, so I was mildly let down since I have Silver on pre-order at Gamestop.

contemplating driving by to see if I can still get the figure for having 5 bucks down.:lol

EzLink

Banned
what the fuck is up with the pokewalker? I'm not sure its registering steps correctly... mine is at 51 right now (even though that seems kinda low) so i started to just shake it a bunch and the number didn't go up. I'm continuing to do this and nothing is happening. Also there is no satisfying clicking sound signifying a step being registered (though maybe it just doesn't have that in general)

am i doing something wrong?

EDIT: Wait, maybe it just doesn't register steps unless it is in sleep mode? seems kinda silly, but i shook it a bit more after the screen went blank and turned it back on and i had more steps registered. weird

EDIT 2: although i guess maybe it isn't silly since if it isn't in "sleep mode" that means you are probably looking at it, and if you are looking at it you aren't walking.

Square Triangle said:
It surprises me that people doubt the popularity of Pokemon still.

I suppose they rather like the realization that comes with the NPD results.

Question: How do you guys come up with nicknames for your pokemon? I've generally used french wording for my guys i.e totodile = brut eaus. Rough translation of rough water(s)

Just wondering.

Magni

Design wise, I think Ho-oh looks better, but I prefer to play with Lugia. Lugia is actually the only Pokémon my little brother has raised to Lvl 100 in his Gold version. He had it with a level 70-something Tyranitar and a level 70-something Kingdra traded from someone on his hockey team, and three level-70 somethings Ho-ohs he'd cloned. Wonder if he'll make better choices ten years later :lol

survivor

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
I suppose they rather like the realization that comes with the NPD results.

Question: How do you guys come up with nicknames for your pokemon? I've generally used french wording for my guys i.e totodile = brut eaus. Rough translation of rough water(s)

Just wondering.
I generally use a theme. Name them after game characters, anime characters, use their Japanese names if not too long, or just name them after something random.

EzLink said:
EDIT: Wait, maybe it just doesn't register steps unless it is in sleep mode? seems kinda silly, but i shook it a bit more after the screen went blank and turned it back on and i had more steps registered. weird

EDIT 2: although i guess maybe it isn't silly since if it isn't in "sleep mode" that means you are probably looking at it, and if you are looking at it you aren't walking.
It registers steps ALLWAYS. Even if you let it be in midbattle it will still count steps.

The PokeWalker is cheat-proof(sorta), if you just shake it fast in your hand it wont count the steps.

The steps don't add up perfectly in real time. Instead it sorta just remembers a batch at a time and adds them after a while.

timnich

Traded in 2 games to get Superior Silver at Gamestop. Got a free Guitar hero bag for some reason...

I wanted to start with cyndaquil, but I noticed that Totodile was a shiny. Can I store Totodile on my pokewalker, start a new game and transfer it over?

ryan-ts said:
Just got back from my run

I have taken 8729 steps and now have 3 items, 1 pokemon and 367 watts.
Only 99633 watts to go!

timnich said:
I wanted to start with cyndaquil, but I noticed that Totodile was a shiny. Can I store Totodile on my pokewalker, start a new game and transfer it over?
Fuck you are lucky! No you'll have to resest both the pokewalker and the game. I can trade you a japanese cyndaquil if you want though.

Zilch

Banned
This sounds sick, but having a Pokewalker will probably motivate me to jog more often than I already do. SLAVE 2 PKMN.

Zilch said:
This sounds sick, but having a Pokewalker will probably motivate me to jog more often than I already do. SLAVE 2 PKMN.
Well the more motivation you have the better you'll be at exercising, and having a pokemon with is kinda awesome :lol

ryan-ts

Zilch said:

I caught a level 8 bellsprout and unlocked a new route, got two berry's and a net ball and........WTF......some random Oddish is now on my Pokewalker :lol

Oh snap another route unlocked as I returned my new Oddish!

Top Bottom