• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Kad5

CcrooK said:
I've only asked between the two versions since this will be my first Pokemon game that I've picked up since the Red/Blue days. Are the "exclusive" Pokemon trade-able between the two versions?

Ofcourse why wouldn't they be?

Teknoman

Mine should be here on the 16th.

Looking at the legendaries in HG and SS, I dont think I need to get everything in Platinum, especially since I still have some of those event pokemon on Diamond. It looks like its got damn near everything.

OMG Aero

Yoshi said:
What does the Gameboy Player exactly do? I only know the Game Boy Player as an add-on to GameCube.
The Gameboy Player is a key item you get at the end of HGSS that, when used, changes all the game music to the original music from the Gameboy games.

I managed to get along to one of the Game Arceus events today and after spending ages walking around to get the Wi-Fi signal picked up managed to get myself an Arceus. It was a bit annoying to see that you could get a free Arceus figurine for pre-ordering HG or SS though when I had already pre-ordered from Game's website to get the Lugia figurine.

What I did like about the event was that the majority of people there were around the same age as me instead of loads of little kids. It made me feel like it was okay to like Pokemon at my age and that it was normal.

Then I saw a guy dressed up as a Zangoose.

isny

napkin dispenser
kyo_daikun said:
Try and get a mareep their one of the better wild pokemon you find near the beginning, if you get one in Heart gold its power is 1000 times that of one found in silver...

Nope, silver here. Any non gold specific advice? lol

Kad5

Sadly I will not be able to get SoulSilver until Saturday. That day is Nowruz/ Persian New Year and I get to get a gift from my parents so naturally i'm gonna ask for this.

OMG Aero said:
. It was a bit annoying to see that you could get a free Arceus figurine for pre-ordering HG or SS though when I had already pre-ordered from Game's website to get the Lugia figurine.

What I did like about the event was that the majority of people there were around the same age as me instead of loads of little kids. It made me feel like it was okay to like Pokemon at my age and that it was normal.

Then I saw a guy dressed up as a Zangoose.

You should get the Arceus figure as well even if you have already pre ordered online, they will more than likely just add it in.

It was the same when I went to the oxford street event on saturday, lots of people the same age as me if not quite a few that were older, there was someone with a pikachu hat on but nothing majorly embarassing lol.

isny said:
Nope, silver here. Any non gold specific advice? lol

Hmm, other than take a hammer to your cartridge? :lol

You can still get mareep on silver so I advise you do it, just wont be as cool as if you had got it on Gold...

Jeels

kyo_daikun said:
Try and get a mareep their one of the better wild pokemon you find near the beginning, if you get one in Heart gold its power is 1000 times that of one found in silver...

Wait, what?

Hex

Banned
The fact that people even contemplate cheating with the Pokewalker is a bit disturbing and sad to me.
Walking...how hard is it?

Ok I seriously love the Pokewalker and it better become a staple feature of Pokemon. I better see it return in Gen V.

I just started playing. I got to Violet city and I have sentret, pidgey, caterpie, and cyndiquil. I'm planning on getting a Mareep, and then maybe an Ekans. Though I'll probably train more than 6 Pokemon so I can swap my team whenever I want to. Grinding isn't going to be as painful as in Diamond since battles move a lot faster.

I've convinced myself to play it like I did when I was 7. I'm not going to look at natures, and I am going to try and catch every Pokemon I can as I go along, rather than rushing to the E4 and capturing them afterwards.

There really isn't anything like starting up a new Pokemon adventure. :D

Fumetsu said:
The fact that people even contemplate cheating with the Pokewalker is a bit disturbing and sad to me.
Walking...how hard is it?
...during a normal day I get around 5.000-10.000 steps. So lets average that out to 7.500 steps, now if I want to unlock all the courses there are it would take me 266 days. Then you add up all the stuff you have to get in the various stages, and we are well above 300 days.... So how hard is it? It's pretty fucking hard really!

So fuck me if I'm not cheating to get steps faster, I don't want to wait a friggin' year to unlock stuff.

ryan-ts

My team right now consists of:

Staryu level 10
Quilava level 15
Mareep level 12
Egg

(1 gym beaten)

Need to get my hands on a Cubone but I don't think you can get those until much later on.

Metroid Killer said:
...during a normal day I get around 5.000-10.000 steps. So lets average that out to 7.500 steps, now if I want to unlock all the courses there are it would take me 266 days. Then you add up all the stuff you have to get in the various stages, and we are well above 300 days.... So how hard is it? It's pretty fucking hard really!

Jeez I didnt realise it would take so long to unlock stuff... im just going to put it on my dogs collar and let it unlock everything for me.

ryan-ts said:
My team right now consists of:

Staryu level 10
Quilava level 15
Mareep level 12
Egg

Need to get my hands on a Cubone but I don't think you can get those until much later on.

I think I was upto the 4th badge on the japanese version and I hadn't seen any cubones, marowak is awesome tho so make sure you get one!

Agentnibs

Just got back from buying me a ds lite and heartgold from toysrus! They gave me a free child size shirt!:lol

I was a silver owner way back when so I went with gold this time, and picked totodile as my starter! On my way to cherrygrove!

Onward to yet another pokemon adventure! :D

isny

napkin dispenser
kyo_daikun said:
Feeding false propaganda to the board so more people get Heart gold, did you know that on Heart gold you also get all 3 starters in the beginning?

Im lying, buy gold

Yanking my chain = fail.

But yeah, got a mareep, thanks.

ReiGun

5a9014f0c1c5__1268568992000.jpeg

Pokemon Get! Thanks to my Diamond getting messed up, I wont be able to transfer any pokes over though. :'( Still, I'll battle and trade with everyone once I play for a few hours.

Mutagenic said:
I'm playing a city league basketball game later today, and the Pokewalker will be in my pocket all game.
You have no idea how jealous I am!! In the beginning you rank up watts fast and unlocks lots of new courses, but once you need around/more than 5.000 watts between courses it takes forever.

I need a Glalie for my Kanto team, and the only way to get one in HG is in a course that opens after 30.000 watts. I'm so close, but it's made my progression in the game story stay still for at least a week now.

Hex

Banned
Metroid Killer said:

So fuck me if I'm not cheating to get steps faster, I don't want to wait a friggin' year to unlock stuff.

I can understand that.
I am hoping it will get me walking and moving around more :lol

jrricky

Banned
The fad remake is HUGE!!:lol

The amount sold tday is :-O. I didn't get the guide, came in after it sold out, forgot to reserve one. :-/

goddamn even when the price is raised...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
red shoe paul said:
Same here, along with the other flyer:

35nakya.jpg
Lucky, you were able to get both types. The other kind I have only seen locked up.

I think I'll get the guide too if I can get Amazon to put it on a gold box for me too.

Oh yeah, that reminds me. If you buy the games at Best Buy today, the guides 15% off. Saw that while I was walking out so I just had them re-ring me up.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I haven't played a Pokemon game since Red in 1999 when I borrowed it from my friend's little brother and I'm tempted to pick one of these up. Hell, my cousin's son's birthday (he'll be 8) is in 3 weeks and I'm tempted to get him this early just so I have someone to trade with. :(

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Metroid Killer said:
You have no idea how jealous I am!! In the beginning you rank up watts fast and unlocks lots of new courses, but once you need around/more than 5.000 watts between courses it takes forever.

I need a Glalie for my Kanto team, and the only way to get one in HG is in a course that opens after 30.000 watts. I'm so close, but it's made my progression in the game story stay still for at least a week now.
Whoa, I didn't realize how vital the Pokewalker is. I've had the game since Thursday and the walker is still in the box.

A note to Uk Gafer's, HMV are giving away a dsi/ ds lite case with Ho oh or lugia on depending on which game you buy, it also has a space for the pokewalker as well.
309651_001.JPG

Edit: Mine is ordered, look at that awesomeness!

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS BULLSHIT?!

The game won't let me fight Falkner and is forcing me to go to Sprout Tower first! I never did this in the originals!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Fuzzy said:
I haven't played a Pokemon game since Red in 1999 when I borrowed it from my friend's little brother and I'm tempted to pick one of these up. Hell, my cousin's son's birthday (he'll be 8) is in 3 weeks and I'm tempted to get him this early just so I have someone to trade with. :(
Get it, and become one of us!

Sadly, I haven't been able to get back into Diamond. I don't think it has anything worthy of transferring over, unless I need some TMs.

VGChampion said:
Oh yeah, that reminds me. If you buy the games at Best Buy today, the guides 15% off. Saw that while I was walking out so I just had them re-ring me up.
Well dunno about the rest of the world but in my local EBGames in Canada, Guides are 20% off when you buy the game with it.

Crewnh said:
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS BULLSHIT?!

The game won't let me fight Falkner and is forcing me to go to Sprout Tower first! I never did this in the originals!

Yeah I'm going through myself right now. All the trainers have lvl. 3 Bellsprouts.
Easy lvl. ups for Pidgeys.

Drkirby said:
Get it, and become ones of us!

Sadly, I haven't been able to get back into Diamond. I don't think it has anything worthy of transferring over, unless I need some TMs.

Dialga?

There's quite a few items you get in D/P/Plat that can't be obtained in HG/SS, off the top of my head most of the plates for Arceus can only be found in D/P, im sure there are quite a few more.

Fuzzy said:
Do it. The evolution between Pokemon Red -> HGSS is HUGE. You'll love it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Fantasy Final said:
Well dunno about the rest of the world but in my local EBGames in Canada, Guides are 20% off when you buy the game with it.
For us in the US, Amazon has them for $12. Great if you have prime.

Teknoman

Im sure Nintendo will give other legendaries via wi-fi events for HG/SS. Or even a pokewalker course.

Also Fuzzy you can trade/battle people online now.

Top Bottom