• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

ngower

Is anyone going the purist route and avoiding D/P/P intrusion into HG/SS?

I never did get into D/P/P that much, so perhaps the unencessity of bringing my team from one game to the next plays a role.

Regardless, I'll be building a team of Eevee evolutions, the original five, and my starter. Wi-Fi + G/S = life over. I've already dropped out of school and quit my job in preparation

HE'S AT CYANWOOD? I DON'T KNOW HOW FAR INTO THE GAME THAT IS BUT IT ISN'T KANTO!

PROBLEM IS HE'S ALREADY AGGRAVATED MY HYPE GLAND!

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THEY'VE RE-ADDED THE VIRIDIAN FOREST OR THE SAFARI ZONE OR THE LAVENDER TOWER OR THE CINNABAR MANSION OMFG

Blizzard

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
BUT HE'S ALREADY AGGRAVATED MY HYPE GLAND!

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THEY'VE RE-ADDED THE VIRIDIAN FOREST OR THE SAFARI ZONE OR THE LAVENDER TOWER OR THE CINNABAR MANSION OMFG
Just from looking at the manual, it looks like they've re-added the safari zone (you can use mud, pokeballs, bait, and run), plus you can reorganize zones on your own, use weird zone combinations for different pokemon to appear, add your own items to make pokemon appear and make your safari zone section(s) look different, share your safari zone configurations with friends for 24 hours, and stuff. Don't know if that's wifi online or just local though.

ryan-ts

Yeah, you have to show the warden a geodude you caught and then the next day he'll allow you to change the safari after catching a Sandshrew. Gonna try to turn part of it into a desert tomorrow and get me a Cubone. YEEHAW! It's past 12 here though so I'm turning the game off.

I have a few questions as I haven't been following the game, nor played the originals.

1. These are the ones where you can go back to the original games area, right, and fight Red?

2. Also, can you catch the original 151 or what? I keep reading that they're in the game, but you need to trade from the GBA versions...? I'm lost.

ReiGun

I dont know why Joey thinks I care so much about his Rattata or that he failed to catch a HootHoot yet again, but I wish he'd stop calling me.

HE'S AT CYANWOOD? I DON'T KNOW HOW FAR INTO THE GAME THAT IS BUT IT ISN'T KANTO!

PROBLEM IS HE'S ALREADY AGGRAVATED MY HYPE GLAND!

I've heard they've readded
Viridian Forest
, at least.

ReiGun said:
I dont know why Joey thinks I care so much about his Rattata or that he failed to catch a HootHoot yet again, but I wish he'd stop calling me.

Go easy on the poor kid. You're probably his only friend. :lol

Dogenzaka

Banned
First 3 hours of this game are so brutally dull and annoying.
I've done the Pokemon routine many times over many years. Been with the series since Red and Blue. Trudging through the first hours with low-level Pokemon on stupid Pidgeys and Hoothoots until the game, choices, Pokemon and battles get interesting is so discouraging.

But I will press on...

..later

Razer Reds

Neo Member
For those wondering about if Viridian Forest and the Safari Zone are back...

Viridian Forest is back, the Safari Zone is in a new area on the island Cianwood City is on, and the old Fuschia Safari Zone is now Pal Park

And those who want to know about some other things in Kanto,
the Seafoam Island cave and Cerulean Cave are back

Nert

About seven hours and three badges in so far, and it feels great. My team so far is:

Quilava
Geodude
Pidgeotto
Bellsprout
Slowpoke
(Low level Rattata as a Cut bot)

As someone that hasn't played any of the Pokemon games after the original Silver, this has been a fresh experience. Some of the new (for me) moves, including Roost, U-Turn, Rock Polish and Yawn are really interesting, and make me feel like playing somewhat strategically even against the AI. I also really like the graphical flourishes and layout changes for the gyms so far.

I also wish that the Pokewalker allowed you to rack up more than one level at a time for your passenger, but even as is it's still a fun gimmick.

mjc

Can you access mystery gifts on HG/SS yet? I was thinking of trying to get that special Pichu but I don't know if that's even possible.

bon

Oh my god, 4 hours in and I just caught a shiny Rattata! This is the first wild shiny I've encountered in my entire Pokemoning career. Feels good man.

Animatik

Neo Member
Made it to Goldenrod City for tonight and really enjoying the game a lot, specially the music.

team so far:
Quilava
Flaffy
Oddish
Wopper
HM Rattata

D-Pad

Scyther made my Pokemon it's bitch with his U-Turn. Oh my God. Talk about a hit and run. And then rival Bayleef's synthesis... Totodile evolved after that epic battle.

isny said:
So...Miltank...beat how?...super potion...milk drink...super potion...attract...wtf...

Oh man... I am NOT looking forward to that.:lol

Sai-kun

Banned
D-Pad said:
Scyther made my Pokemon it's bitch with his U-Turn. Oh my God. Talk about a hit and run. And then rival Bayleef's synthesis... Totodile evolved after that epic battle.

Lmao I wasn't expecting him to U-Turn being that it was his last Pokemon, but he one-shotted my Bayleef, and I was crying :lol :lol :lol Luckily my Flaaffy pulled through and whooped him

isny said:
So...Miltank...beat how?...super potion...milk drink...super potion...attract...wtf...
It's a Normal type, right? Use some fighting moves (if you've got 'em) or do something to neutralise its attack (accuracy reduction, evade increase, burns, confusion, paralysis or sleep).

But yeah, I don't get why this Miltank is considered so difficult. Is it uber-levelled or is it just a defensive tank? If so, use a defense-lowering move.

Gravijah

SOUL SILVER GET

SUCCESS!

EDIT: FUCKING PACKAGING GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY WAY. Trying to be careful but fast while opening shit = hard

isny

napkin dispenser
It's a Normal type, right? Use some fighting moves (if you've got 'em) or do something to neutralise its attack (accuracy reduction, evade increase, burns, confusion, paralysis or sleep).

But yeah, I don't get why this Miltank is considered so difficult. Is it uber-levelled or is it just a defensive tank? If so, use a defense-lowering move.

Going to try just pounding him down with Geodude. I kept trying to burn/para/confuse but he has a berry which gets rid of the first one you do on him, and then just keeps healing.

D-Pad

Sai-kun said:
Lmao I wasn't expecting him to U-Turn being that it was his last Pokemon, but he one-shotted my Bayleef, and I was crying :lol :lol :lol Luckily my Flaaffy pulled through and whooped him

I was caught off guard from the get-go because Bugsy called it out first. Then it U-turned back into it's pokeball and left my Sandshrew in the critical. He did it again leaving my battered Mareep to battle Kakuna, and then a third time fainting my Pidgey. sandshrew finally finished Scyther off with a well aimed Rock Tomb. I didn't think I was going to make that battle...

Nert

D-Pad said:
I was caught off guard from the get-go because Bugsy called it out first. Then it U-turned back into it's pokeball and left my Sandshrew in the critical. He did it again leaving my battered Mareep to battle Kakuna, and then a third time fainting my Pidgey. sandshrew finally finished Scyther off with a well aimed Rock Tomb. I didn't think I was going to make that battle...

I say this knowing that I haven't played any of the other entries since the first Silver, so I probably just suck, but all three of the first gym leaders seemed surprisingly difficult. I wasn't expecting the first gym leader to chain heal his Pidgeotto with Roost, and that Scyther almost killed me too.

Zilch

Banned
Man, I'm loving this. I haven't played Gold or Silver since the originals were released, and with all the new graphics I don't even recognize most areas.

This game really is the pinnacle of the Diamond/Pearl engine. The Gen 5 games are going to have to be RADICALLY different from this to get me excited about them.

isny

napkin dispenser

Took Miltank down with burns and then self destructed Geodude!, lol

I've realized once again, like I did with D/P, how much I hate after all this time you still can't deposit and withdraw pokemon from your team and boxes at the same time. The computer interface is almost the same as it was with the original games =(

DarkWish

I'm not that experienced with ordering stuff from Amazon so I have a question. My SoulSilver game and strategy guide have said shipping soon since Saturday and I got them with one day shipping from Amazon Prime. Estimated delivery date is Tuesday, but what are the chances I'll get them on Monday (today)? There is an Amazon warehouse in my city, so I don't know if that will affect anything. Is it possible they could ship it out today and I'd receive it on the same day?

vhfive

isny said:

I've realized once again, like I did with D/P, how much I hate after all this time you still can't deposit and withdraw pokemon from your team and boxes at the same time. The computer interface is almost the same as it was with the original games =(
You can its the move pokemon option. It was in D/P/Plt

Gravijah

Alright, gonna play through this game the ol' fashioned way and build a team... I just can't decide on my starter. Sooo... Chikorita, Cyndaquil or Totodile? First reply wins!

CYNDAQUIL

JUST FUCKING LOOK AT HIM

ani155.gif

RED HOT FUCKING KNIVES

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Will I lose out on much if I don't give my number out to trainers? Random phone calls on Silver was the worst part of an otherwise perfect game.

EDIT: Also of note, my character's name is Dr.Phil. Carry on.

Agentnibs

Woo just beat Whitney on my first try! :D

I'll admit I got kinda lucky though. Had my Gastly sacrifice himself to put her Miltank to sleep(in vain though since she had an awakining berry :lol ). Then I had Flaaffy paralyze her, and Crocanaw finish her off. I got super lucky at the end though since I got her to flinch about 5 times in a row to win haha!

celebi23

DeathbyVolcano said:
CYNDAQUIL

JUST FUCKING LOOK AT HIM

ani155.gif

RED HOT FUCKING KNIVES

155.png

Picked Cyndaquil last time & plan on doing the same thing again. For the hell of it, I went to check my Gold & Crystal games. The saves were gone :( Not surprised, just kinda sad about it :( Anyhoo, I return to Johto in 8 hours :D

kzn

Neo Member
So I'm running Quilava and Onix atm, since most of my team are coming much later. Naturally, I breeze through Bugsy and I'm like "hey, this is easy as balls" and then FUCKING RIVAL

this is not good

Poyunch

isny said:

What's wrong with the "move pokemon" option?

mandiller

PounchEnvy said:
What's wrong with the "move pokemon" option?

Ha. I remember only discovering what 'move pokemon' did when playing Platinum. Ahh god, it would have saved me endless strife to have used it before.

kyo_daikun said:
Damn you silver peasants, regrouped while I was on my way home from work.

I remember staying up all night levelling my eevee to get an umbreon, what a game <3

I remember getting up around 5-6am just to catch a phanpy and teddiursa in crystal xD

Top Bottom