• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Blizzard

Banned
survivor said:
1. Diamond and Pearl had the auto level feature. I guess your friend did a Free Battle which doesn't auto level them.
Huh, what's the other one called then? o_O *edit* Thanks. No idea what was up with my friend then, unless I misunderstood something.

2. The game sets 2 key items. You use them with X and Y.
THANK YOU. I guess the manual was just silly then and didn't describe everything.

Side note, looking through the manual I noticed that it talked about not using any unauthorized devices with the cart, and that backup/archival copies are unnecessary and violators will be prosecuted. Didn't video game companies used to be required to say that archival copies were legal?

El Sloth

Banned
Damn you Pokemon GAF! I just finished ordering Soul Silver on Amazon! A poor college student should not be wasting his money like this! ;_;

survivor

Banned
Kad5 said:
I keep hearing about a "metagame" within the pokemon games. What is this exactly?
Competitive online Pokemon battling. Can either be done through WiFi or through Shoddy Battle. You can head to smogon.com and read some of their guides. Or we have a topic here about competitive battling and metagame I think.

JSnake

Kad5 said:
I keep hearing about a "metagame" within the pokemon games. What is this exactly?

Oh boy. The competitive Pokemon scene is complex and hard to explain. It's great though and really enhances the game when you get into it and learn the ins-and-outs. Anyway, it's probably faster to go to Smogon.

Here's a good guide that explains everything (start with the introduction) http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/

Blizzard

Banned
survivor said:
The other 2 options should be Level 50 or Level 100 battles.
I looked it back up, and actually they were trying to play LOCAL wireless, which apparently lacked that option. I dunno if they had wifi access.

John

All I need to know to want this game is - have they finally automated the battles in a way that there's not so much text to scroll through?! And maybe an option to turn off exclamation points?! Seriously, seeing a ! every give words gives me a headache!

survivor

Banned
Blizzard said:
I looked it back up, and actually they were trying to play LOCAL wireless, which apparently lacked that option. I dunno if they had wifi access.
Oh yeah, local wireless is a bitch. At school, I have a spare in the morning with 3 of my friends and we wanted to play Pokemon together, but it was really difficult.

Coming back from GDC has been Christmas. Pokemon, Yakuza 3, FFXIII, Mega Man 10...and now I'm stuck waiting to play because I need to convert my network back to 802.11b just to get that wifi Pichu. :lol

Gooooo Typhlosion! :D

El Sloth

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
Coming back from GDC has been Christmas. Pokemon, Yakuza 3, FFXIII, Mega Man 10...and now I'm stuck waiting to play because I need to convert my network back to 802.11b just to get that wifi Pichu. :lol

Gooooo Typhlosion! :D

My brother! Sometime I feel like the only who liked Cyndaquil back in the day. It was all about Totodile/Feraligator in my neighborhood.

I was going to use my trade-in credit on HG. It's the only way I can buy it now, as I am broke. :(

I will be living off ramen and waffales 'till Friday. :( Let us rally together poor GAF who has suckered into buying Pokemon once again!

vid

Seven hours into this and I just got my third badge. I know it's early to judge, but I have to say that this is the best a Pokemon game has ever felt to me... in terms of the simple and obvious menu and battle stuff, I really can't think of anything I'd want to change.

I went to the tech/game store where I work at opening today to pick up the game. We only got six copies in the store, and within the first ten minutes of opening, five of them were being used by people (including myself) sitting around a table in the back of the store, and the sixth was sitting at home with my roommate, who had work to do and wasn't able to join our Pokemon binge. Absolutely kills me though, before I even got home with the game, somehow I managed to make a big deep scratch across the screen of my Pokewalker. It's shiny newness has already been compromised! :mad:

Going to try and get back into competitive thinking for this game... if I can pull it together, I'm fully intending on getting in on the GAF tournament.

Blu_LED said:
So is Hoothoot the must have bird Pokemon for these games? Like Pidgey is to R/B, Taillow is to R/S, and Starly is to D/P?

No I still think Pidgey is, since I've only come across a few Hoothoots, and WAY more Pidgeys.

Gravijah

OK guys, I think I'm going to do it with Soul Silver... I'm going to do a full playthrough of the game using only the level 5 event Mew. Should be fun for me, since I'm way too OCD to build full teams while playing through the game.

Harpuia

El Sloth said:
I will be living off ramen and waffales 'till Friday. :( Let us rally together poor GAF who has suckered into buying Pokemon once again!

This is the first game I have actually sold games in order to buy. I was THAT desperate to get HeartGold. :(

El Sloth

Banned
Harpuia said:
This is the first game I have actually sold games in order to buy. I was THAT desperate to get HeartGold. :(

First game that I've sacrificed food for, all for Superior Silver™. Incidentally, what were the games? I'm curious to see what you sacrificed to the Pokegods. :lol

Harpuia

El Sloth said:
First game that I've sacrificed food for, all for Superior Silver™. Incidentally, what were the games? I'm curious to see what you sacrificed to the Pokegods. :lol

Golden Sun The Lost ages (the second one)
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Prime 3
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Resident Evil: Dark side chronicles
Transformers 2: Revenge of The fallen
Some star wars game for the wii.

It all gave me $48. The most notable losses were MP2, MP3, and Radiant Dawn.
EDIT: Thank god for that 50% bonus at Gamestop. D:

El Sloth said:
First game that I've sacrificed food for, all for Shitey Silver™. Incidentally, what were the games? I'm curious to see what you sacrificed to the Pokegods. :lol

Damn you silver peasants, regrouped while I was on my way home from work.

Blu_LED said:
I remember staying up late when I was little just to catch a Hoothoot. <3

I remember staying up all night levelling my eevee to get an umbreon, what a game <3

ReiGun

Mareep caught! Team is current Chikorita, Mareep, Sentret, Venonat, Kangaskhan, and Spearow. May switch out Venonat for Ghastly after I finish the Sprout Tower.

I am loving the way this game look. Violet City is absolutely beautiful at night.

Harpuia said:
Golden Sun The Lost ages (the second one)
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Prime 3
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Resident Evil: Dark side chronicles
Transformers 2: Revenge of The fallen
Some star wars game for the wii.

It all gave me $48. The most notable losses were MP2, MP3, and Radiant Dawn.
EDIT: Thank god for that 50% bonus at Gamestop. D:
This makes me sad. I believe Radiant Dawn is worth 40$ even used.

isny

napkin dispenser
Picked up three Kangaskhans via the pokewalker. It seems once you hit enough steps to catch the rare pokemon, you can catch up to three of the same.

Two of them had early bird...one had scrappy though!

The early bird ones are available if anyone wants them. One is timid and one is docile, both are level 8.

Spider from Mars said:
Is Togepi worth the effort?

Of leveling? Or of hatching?

Top Bottom