• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Teknoman

Wren said:
Oh god, trading over a chunk of pokes from Platinum is a bitch. They really need to release some form of poke box for this generation of games.

Yes please. Wii ware or DSiware if you have to.

EDIT: Are we going to have some sort of early tournament with possibly non-fully evolved pokemon? Or should we just do friend battles for that.

Lkr said:
If I evolve Onix into a Steelix, is he good for metagame purposes? I don't do any of the competitive shit

I'd say use it and just train it with the best EVs that fit its highest base stats.

Gravijah

Galactic Quail said:
I'm a day late on replying to this, but thanks alot man/(wo)man! You made me crappy sunday alot better. :D

Oh, and you were on the money about my "gaming budget". Got cut short. :p

I have to suffer with playing Pearl's Battle Tower as of right now in the meantime.

How's the game for everyone so far? I've been told by some friends IRL that they're already on the 4/5th badge. Man you guys are fast. :lol

I'm now the proud owner of a Pidgey named Gala-Quail! =P

Holy shit this thread exploded last night :lol

Glad to see Milktank bringing its love to you guys as well!

Yay only 1800 watts left till my next pokewalker stage, then I can finally get a Glalie, add him to my team and begin my adventure in Kanto with a new and awesome team.

The problem is... Ice Beam or Blizzard?

Metroid Killer said:
Holy shit this thread exploded last night :lol

Glad to see Milktank bringing its love to you guys as well!

Yay only 1800 watts left till my next pokewalker stage, then I can finally get a Glalie, add him to my team and begin my adventure in Kanto with a new and awesome team.

The problem is... Ice Beam or Blizzard?

Ice Beam. I always pick any 'beam' if I have the chance. :lol
I'm up for a 8 1/2 work day, and have Togepi on my walker ready for the day! :D

red shoe paul said:
Ice Beam. I always pick any 'beam' if I have the chance. :lol
Yeah but Blizzard packs a 120 compared to Ice Beam's 95. But the accuracy of Blizzard is only 70%, compared to Ice Beam's 100%. But if you use Hail, Blizzard will always hit, and with Glalie's Ice Body ability it'll recover 1/16 of its maximum HP at the end of every turn when it is hailing.

But for the more power and bonus health Hail and Blizzard takes out two move spots, compared to the less powerful Ice Beam so I can add another move...

Argh why does it have to be so complicated!?

Wiseblade

Metroid Killer said:
Yeah but Blizzard packs a 120 compared to Ice Beam's 95. But the accuracy of Blizzard is only 70%, compared to Ice Beam's 100%. But if you use Hail, Blizzard will always hit, and with Glalie's Ice Body ability it'll recover 1/16 of its maximum HP at the end of every turn when it is hailing.

But for the more power and bonus health Hail and Blizzard takes out two move spots, compared to the less powerful Ice Beam so I can add another move...

Argh why does it have to be so complicated!?

Are you going to be using it with Abomasnow? If not, go with Ice Beam. Hail is basicially a waste of time.

Wiseblade said:
Are you going to be using it with Abomasnow? If not, go with Ice Beam. Hail is basicially a waste of time.
No, but now i can't figure out what to replace Hail with. I don't want to go completely into smogon territory, as I'm mainly just playing the main game not competitive, but at the same time, I want my pokemon to be strong(which Glalie isn't to begin with).

I have in mind:
Crunch
Ice Beam
Headbutt(mainly because it learns it by itself)
??? (Maybe explosion? But I wont get that TM until I get to Saffron. Earthquake then?)

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I'm so glad I don't play competitively. That way I can get away with only using cute pokemon in my team. Raichu, I'm coming for you. :3

Gravijah

Big Ass Ramp said:
I'm so glad I don't play competitively. That way I can get away with only using cute pokemon in my team. Raichu, I'm coming for you. :3

ENEIGNognergnergonrgrenenrengoengoegneg I forgot about the shiny Pichu from the event. Time to make him a part of my team and create a Shiny Raichu!

Edit: Wait, you can't get the shiny Pichu in HG/SS over WiFi? hm...

Edit2: Maybe I need a badge?

upandaway

Metroid Killer said:
Shit Balb! I beat the elite 4 after 200+ hours and around two months. :lol I guess I really am super slow at this.
Well whatever, it's not competition or something. You're squeezing the most out of the game.

I just got word from my importer that I'll get it Thursday, which is the day I finish with school assignments. Gonna go full on for the weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to get all the Pokemon I need without the Pokewalker... I don't care for that thing at all.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Gravijah said:
The shiny Pichu event lasts until the 25th of March, but it seems to be DPPt only, so I guess I'll have to transfer him over.

Ah, but what about the Yellow Forest?

And isn't Shiny Pichu store-specific and not Wifi?

Gravijah

Ookami-kun said:
Ah, but what about the Yellow Forest?

And isn't Shiny Pichu store-specific and not Wifi?

It WAS at GameStop only, but they also added the ability to get it over WiFi recently. And Serebii says April 1st-30th for the Yellow Forest.

Axis said:
So i brought my arceus over and got giratina...now i refuse to use it because it seems so easy mode :(
Yeah in my playthrough I haven't used a single legendary in the main game. I remember using both some of the legendary birds and just playing around with Mewtwo back when I played Red. But now I don't even touch them, feels like I'm missing out on a lot of cool attacks though.

Gravijah

Axis said:
haha when i get mewtwo it's on though!! he's too cool to not use

Where you at currently Axis? I just finished the Sprout Tower with my team of Cyndaquil and Pidgey, gonna take my time with this baby.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
ARGH! All you Pokedudes are doing my head in with your Poketalk!
I'm supposed to be waiting for a Pokepal to come back from holiday so we can start our nostalgia hit together - neither of us have played since the GB iterations.

I already bought Platinum and have it burning through the shrink-wrap in anticipation.
But now HG/SS is out in a couple of weeks here in the UK, and I don't know if I can help myself before he gets back!

I might have to seek out the old GBA games and start collecting on the Micro... So desperate for a Pokehit. What would you guys recommend in terms of the oldskool stuff? Ruby/Sapphire? That green one?

I feel so confused. With all these special launch events and rare one-off mons, I feel like we'll be missing out if we wait around anymore. Help a Pokebro out?

Gravijah

B-Genius said:
I'm supposed to be waiting for a Pokepal to come back from holiday so we can start our nostalgia hit together - neither of us have played since the GB iterations.

I already bought Platinum and have it burning through the shrink-wrap in anticipation.
But now HG/SS is out in a couple of weeks here in the UK, and I don't know if I can help myself before he gets back!

I might have to seek out the old GBA games and start collecting on the Micro... So desperate for a Pokehit. What would you guys recommend in terms of the oldskool stuff? Ruby/Sapphire? That green one?

I feel so confused. With all these special launch events and rare one-off mons, I feel like we'll be missing out if we wait around anymore. Help a Pokebro out?

If you're gonna get a GBA Pokemon, get Emerald. I wouldn't get Fire Red/Leaf Green only because you should be saving HG/SS for that rush of nostalgia.

upandaway

B-Genius said:

If you're only starting to get back, don't even bother with one-off Pokemon right now. Do your best at soaking it all in when you play it and leave it at that. Worst case you'll get into the whole franchise again and by then there will be plenty more reruns of the one-off Pokemon.

Axis

Gravijah said:
Where you at currently Axis? I just finished the Sprout Tower with my team of Cyndaquil and Pidgey, gonna take my time with this baby.

goldenrod city. 2 badges in and my team is flaafy, spearow, croconaw, sandshrew, drowzee and fucking SLOWPOKE. put about 7 hours into it so far...i really like taking my time just looking for everything.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I will admit that I haven't actually participated in any wi-fi event (it'll be a first for me, and that generally a lot of the events are store-focused).

So how will I get the Pichu? I will just turn on my Diamond and select Mystery Gift -> WiFi?

Axis

Ookami-kun said:
I will admit that I haven't actually participated in any wi-fi event (it'll be a first for me, and that generally a lot of the events are store-focused).

So how will I get the Pichu? I will just turn on my Diamond and select Mystery Gift -> WiFi?

as long as you've been to jubilife city to activate the mystery gift then yeah, exactly like that

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Ookami-kun said:

After activating MG, yeah, pretty much you connect through WFC.

Currently running with Quilava, Flaaffy, and Ghastly and just beat the first gym. Second Gen's the only one I've never played (Red->Diamond->retroactively FR+Emerald->HeartGold)

My rival's name is MacLeod, as he seems to think there can only be one.

How far ahead is the day care center? I'd like to breed some cyndaquils to trade for the other starters.

Im going to pick up heartgold soon and I cant wait.
I only ever played red and blue back in the day.

Ive also been watching the anime to get me into it aswell.
Upto episode 35 so far but fucking hell Team Rocket are annoying.

nli10

Big Ass Ramp said:

First thing I did for plat was dump out my starter pokemon and use only caught pokemon.

Rule are I have to beat the Elite 4 using non Legendary, non starter pokemon all lvl 50 or below on first person in E4. Makes it more fun.

Willectro

Banned
red shoe paul said:
Damn! Nice job! I'm on break from work and so far I've put 9338 steps and 427w. Togepi is on there and It's going perfectly.

Bad part with the Pokewalker is that after all those steps you will on level once max (AFAIK). I had fully hoped that you could toss a pokemon on it, run a marathon and have leveled a bunch of times. Ah well.

nli10

will52 said:
Bad part with the Pokewalker is that after all those steps you will on level once max (AFAIK). I had fully hoped that you could toss a pokemon on it, run a marathon and have leveled a bunch of times. Ah well.

Does it level once and then wait at the level cap (likely), or keep progressing towards the 2nd level then stop just short (unlikely)?

I'm thinking of levelling some Pokes exclusively with the walker for shits & giggles - I do around 6,000 a day according to Personal Trainer Walking so should take DS to work and flip the pokemon so they can re-level on the way home.

Willectro

Banned
nli10 said:
Does it level once and then wait at the level cap (likely), or keep progressing towards the 2nd level then stop just short (unlikely)?

I'm thinking of levelling some Pokes exclusively with the walker for shits & giggles - I do around 6,000 a day according to Personal Trainer Walking so should take DS to work and flip the pokemon so they can re-level on the way home.

Pretty confident it said on the IGN review, and seems to be accurate, that the pokemon on the walker levels once (if you have made enough steps) when you transfer it back to your DS unfortunately.

nli10 said:
The first(I think). Say you put a lvl 3 rattata in th pokewalker a go for a long walk. When you connect to the DS again it'll say that Rattata grew one level. He'll then be at lvl 4.(without any exp points gained at this level).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
"OUT FOR DELIVERY"

Oh boy oh boy oh boy, its almost here :D

And I think I know what I am going to call my Rival. Since I used to always just call him "Bad", due to it being "???" and wanting to make it fit, I am going ot make him Badd, which is a real name.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I think that Sableye alone is going to make my choice to go with HG over SS. Love that Pokemon, and think it would look AWESOME following me around.

Also, since I basically ALWAYS go with the fire starter, and since Chikorita (and its evolutions) looks really stupid IMO, I think I'll be going with Totodile as my starter this time around.

spiritfox

So I just played around with metronome and got Psycho Boost. That was awesome.
"OUT FOR DELIVERY"

Oh boy oh boy oh boy, its almost here

And I think I know what I am going to call my Rival. Since I used to always just call him "Bad", due to it being "???" and wanting to make it fit, I am going ot make him Badd, which is a real name.
sprite-badou.gif
?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Axis said:
So i brought my arceus over and got giratina...now i refuse to use it because it seems so easy mode :(
Legendaries are for losers.

I think I'm going to make my entire team from Pokemon that are just given to me by NPCs (starter, Togekiss, etc.) or encountered on the map (Sudowoodo). Makes that final battle against Red something of a mirror image, as that's the kind of team he uses.

Salaadin

Is Hypno a good pokemon to carry with me thru to the end? Ive never had one. I dont do any of the competitive stuff so Im mainly building a team that can hold their own against the E4 and onward.

Also, would I be better off keeping Onix or evolving him into a Steelix?

I went with RIVAL for my rival. I'm real original but hey, that's what I did back with Silver so I had to continue the tradition.

Didn't have a whole lot of time to play yesterday. Just beat the first gym leader. Blue and Silver have always been my two favorite Pokemon games so finally replaying it after so many years is bliss.

Netto-kun

viciouskillersquirrel said:
HE'S AT CYANWOOD? I DON'T KNOW HOW FAR INTO THE GAME THAT IS BUT IT ISN'T KANTO!

PROBLEM IS HE'S ALREADY AGGRAVATED MY HYPE GLAND!

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THEY'VE RE-ADDED THE VIRIDIAN FOREST OR THE SAFARI ZONE OR THE LAVENDER TOWER OR THE CINNABAR MANSION OMFG
Late reply, but they also readded the
Cerulean Cave/Unknown Dungeon. And yes, you can catch a level 70 Mewtwo inside the cave.

Top Bottom