• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

ReiGun

Netto-kun said:
Late reply, but they also readded the
Cerulean Cave/Unknown Dungeon. And yes, you can catch a level 70 Mewtwo inside the cave.
Damn, Nintendo went all out with this remake. Hurry up stupid work and end so I can play some more. :D

Gravijah

VGChampion said:
I went with RIVAL for my rival. I'm real original but hey, that's what I did back with Silver so I had to continue the tradition.

Didn't have a whole lot of time to play yesterday. Just beat the first gym leader. Blue and Silver have always been my two favorite Pokemon games so finally replaying it after so many years is bliss.

I went with my real name for my rival.

ReiGun said:
Damn, Nintendo went all out with this remake. Hurry up stupid work and end so I can play some more. :D

Yeah there is just soooo much to do in these games, should tide us over till 5th gen easily (I think that was the whole point of them really)

Trying to check my emails to see if my copy has been sent yet :(

ryan-ts

So I'm fighting Jasmine and her damn Steelix and I can't win using brute strength. I decided to use strategy for once, took out my Haunter and used curse then managed to keep reviving enough Pokemon and have Flaafy's static ability take affect to eventually take Steelix out. Quilava did the rest :D

6 Badges

Current team:

Staryu level 27
Quilava level 29
Hoot Hoot level 16
Flaaffy level 27
Togepi level 10
Haunter level 16

Yeah I took on Jasmine before Chuck, and her Steelix defintely put up a good challenge, then I kicked Chuck's ass easily afterwards :D

Got all the Eeveelutions after some hard work and thanks to Balb!

ryan-ts

Metroid Killer said:
Yeah I took on Jasmine before Chuck, and her Steelix defintely put up a good challenge, then I kicked Chuck's ass easily afterwards :D

Oh snap, all of them? You god damn stud.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Metroid Killer said:

All 7?

ryan-ts said:
Oh snap, all of them? You god damn stud.
Well I was using Umbreon on my team to begin with anyway. Thanks to the Pokethlon it's easy to get lots of evo stones, and Balb traded me a Glaceon and Leafeon which I obviously can't get on my own. And Espeon was easy to get since I've been cycling A LOT(for breeding and for other happiness evo). It's probably my favorite species family, they all look so damn cool and cute!

ryan-ts

Metroid Killer said:
Well I was using Umbreon on my team to begin with anyway. Thanks to the Pokethlon it's easy to get lots of evo stones, and Balb traded me a Glaceon and Leafeon which I obviously can't get on my own. And Espeon was easy to get since I've been cycling A LOT(for breeding and for other happiness evo). It's probably my favorite species family, they all look so damn cool and cute!

How do I get a water stone from there (only option I see is Moon Stone)?

Metroid Killer said:

Can't wait for Dragon and steel eevee's in Gen 5 :D

ryan-ts said:
How do I get a water stone from there (only option I see is Moon Stone)?
Post National-Pokedex the prizes will expand.

^Dragon Eevee is gonna be insane!
What's missing? Ground, Dragon, Steel, Bug, Poison, Rock, Ghost.

Metroid Killer said:

I think thats all of them, have a feeling we won't get any new eevee's till Gen 6 tho tbh.

Edit: Fighting as well, black belt eevee!

ryan-ts

Metroid Killer said:

Awwwww.

Apparently if you get lucky you can get them from the bug contest sometimes if you get 1st place, guess I'll try that tomorrow.

ryan-ts said:
Awwwww.

Apparently if you get lucky you can get them from the bug contest sometimes if you get 1st place, guess I'll try that tomorrow.
That's what I thought, but after 12 Sun Stones I can confirm that they aren't random! Again pre national pokedex it'll only be Sun stone, but after obtaining the national dex it'll be random.

How the heck are the gonna make a Fighting Eevee? Pretty much all fighting pokemon are standing on their hind legs, no?

ryan-ts

Metroid Killer said:
That's what I thought, but after 12 Sun Stones I can confirm that they aren't random! Again pre national pokedex it'll only be Sun stone, but after obtaining the national dex it'll be random.

How the heck are the gonna make a Fighting Eevee? Pretty much all fighting pokemon are standing on their hind legs, no?

GOD DAMN!

Do you get the national dex after beating the elite four?

Metroid Killer said:

Hitmontops on his head, anything is possible in the world of pokemon :lol

Salaadin

Metroid Killer said:

Its tail turns into a giant ass fist

Lunchbox

Banned
you people struggling with gym leaders and crap...........is this your first time playing the series?

you doing it WRONG. level up your starter to the max, and use the others as HM slaves and as an extra turn to revive your over-leveled starter if it ever dies.

dont try to level everyone up. at the end you should have 1 level 80 that kills everything it touches, 3 HM slaves and 2 Legendaries

Lunchbox said:
dont try to level everyone up. at the end you should have 1 level 80 that kills everything it touches, 3 HM slaves and 2 Legendaries
That is such a boring way to play the game imo, and you don't learn/take advantage of the incredible combat system of the series.

Leveling up a team is much more fun and poses a bigger challenge(unless you grind a lot). I hate to be at higher levels than Gym leaders.

Zilch

Banned
Lunchbox said:
you people struggling with gym leaders and crap...........is this your first time playing the series?

you doing it WRONG. level up your starter to the max, and use the others as HM slaves and as an extra turn to revive your over-leveled starter if it ever dies.

But that doesn't sound like fun at all!

Salaadin

Lunchbox said:

dont try to level everyone up

I like levelling everyone up. I understand the reasoning behind HM slaves and having that one powerful pokemon that kicks everyones ass but I find myself enjoying the game more when Im levelling several pokemon at once and gyn leaders are actually putting up a fight.

Metroid Killer said:
That is such a boring way to play the game imo, and you don't learn/take advantage of the incredible combat system of the series.

Leveling up a team is much more fun and poses a bigger challenge(unless you grind a lot). I hate to be at higher levels than Gym leaders.

Agree, its more fun to have a few tough battles here and there rather than breeze through with just 1 and keep reviving it.

JSnake

Lunchbox said:

zzzzzz

Gravijah

Lunchbox said:

I used to play this way, but I'm trying to fix that.

Zilch

Banned
I guess that playstyle makes sense if you view the single player story as a nuisance to be completed as soon as possible so you can start pwning nubs online. Not my thing, though.

btkadams

Lunchbox said:

this is the absolutely worst way to play the game, and also lacks skill.

survivor

Banned
I really see no reason to rush through this game. I never played Gold/Silver before so I like to enjoy the storyline and have a challenge. Beside I already got Platinum where I have my competitive Pokemon ready for battling. Soul Silver will be strictly for fun/casual fun and not any of the competitive crap.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
btkadams said:
this is the absolutely worst way to play the game, and also lacks skill.

Starmie is one of the easiest ways to solo the game, although things like Dragonite are also pretty easy.. they just eat a butt load of Exp. to level.

Starters in HGSS are okay to solo with, but they struggle mostly due to coverage. Typlosion has Fire Blast/Focus Blast, and a number of physical moves, but doesn't hit a lot for Super Effective Damage. Feraligatr is a bit better, with Ice Fang/Waterfall/Earthquake.

Bentendo

My dad wanted to see Avatar last night, so I brought my Pokéwalker with me and shook it during the movie. By the end I accumulated almost 7,000 steps! :lol

Gravijah said:
Route 32. JUST got mine.

Me too! Is it any good?

survivor

Banned
Bentendo said:
My dad wanted to see Avatar last night, so I brought my Pokéwalker with me and shook it during the movie. By the end I accumulated almost 7,000 steps! :lol

Me too! Is it any good?
I believe it's one of the must have early Pokemon in the game.

deadnoob

I haven't gotten the game yet but just a question...

If I transfer over a pokemon from Diamond that is the nationaldex in HG/SS how does it show up before you get the national dex?

PS. UPS COME ON!

Lunchbox said:

This does not sound fun at all.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Bentendo said:

Me too! Is it any good?
iirc from my days of Gold/Silver eons ago, as far as the single player game goes it is one of, if not THE, most useful in the game due to type matchups and such. I think mine stayed on my team all the way to the Elite 4.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Lunchbox said:

Yeah, they are the ones doing it wrong. :lol

Bentendo

ShockingAlberto said:
The final evolution is one of my favorite electric types.

Max out the attack, give it Thunderpunch.

Cool, thanks. I have Mareep in my roster but I haven't even brought it into battle yet. I was THIS CLOSE to putting it in the PC but I think I'll keep it now.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I've got both versions preordered at Amazon.
HeartGold shipped, but strangely SoulSilver has yet to.

deadnoob said:
If I transfer over a pokemon from Diamond that is the nationaldex in HG/SS how does it show up before you get the national dex?
They just don't show up... I got a Munclax(through the pokewalker) early when I started my game and you couldn't view it in the Johto Pokedex for example.

survivor

Banned
Decided to go back to Sprout Tower and try to catch a Gastly. I really like how they use Hypnosis on me even though I'm paralyzed.

EzLink

Banned
So I logged over 10 hours yesterday. 4 badges. Goddam this game is so fucking awesome :lol

I'm a little concerned about the breeding in this though. I haven't done it yet, but it seems like it will be more difficult than platinum. No poketech app to show when there is an egg (but maybe they call you?) plus it doesn't seem like the bike goes as fast

Also where can you change your options for what you look like to other trainers over wifi?

Top Bottom