• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

survivor

Banned
EzLink said:
So I logged over 10 hours yesterday. 4 badges. Goddam this game is so fucking awesome :lol

I'm a little concerned about the breeding in this though. I haven't done it yet, but it seems like it will be more difficult than platinum. No poketech app to show when there is an egg (but maybe they call you?) plus it doesn't seem like the bike goes as fast

Also where can you change your options for what you look like to other trainers over wifi?
Go to Violet City. I think there is a guy at the top floor in the Poke Center, he should change it for you.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
funkmastergeneral said:
Thanks. Desperately need an electric type to round out my team.

Your other options are Magneton, Lanturn, Electrode, and Raikou.. before you reach the Elite 4 at least. They all offer something a bit different. Ampharos is a good Pokemon, with solid defenses and you catch him early on.. so most stick with him. He's also on the only to learn Focus Blast, and can helps with a few HMs like Rock Smash.

EzLink said:
So I logged over 10 hours yesterday. 4 badges. Goddam this game is so fucking awesome :lol

I'm a little concerned about the breeding in this though. I haven't done it yet, but it seems like it will be more difficult than platinum. No poketech app to show when there is an egg (but maybe they call you?) plus it doesn't seem like the bike goes as fast

Also where can you change your options for what you look like to other trainers over wifi?

I'm at 7 1/2 hours, and at the Lake of Rage. Not having to level up 6 Pokemon definitely saves time. And yes, the breeders call you. Wait until you have a Magma Armor/Flame Body to speed up the hatching time.

Bentendo

I know the answer is probably going to be no, but it's driving me insane so I have to ask. Is there a way to transfer items over to HeartGold? Because I have around 600,000 in cash over in Platinum and I wouldn't mind buying some items with it and bringing them over to HeartGold. And by transferring items I don't mean placing them on a Pokémon when you trade, because that takes forever. :lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Bentendo said:
I know the answer is probably going to be no, but it's driving me insane so I have to ask. Is there a way to transfer items over to HeartGold? Because I have around 600,000 in cash over in Platinum and I wouldn't mind buying some items with it and bringing them over to HeartGold. And by transferring items I don't mean placing them on a Pokémon when you trade, because that takes forever. :lol

Negative. Packing them with Pokemon is the only way. You can Give/Take items in the trading room though, so it's a bit faster. Hopefully you don't need to trade too many things (Power items for training, Choice Items, Life Orbs, Leftovers, etc) so you could do about 40 items in half an hour.

Axis

anyone have a low level vulpix or growlithe they'd be willing to part with? not picking cyndaquil really leaves me with no fire pokemon lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Axis said:
anyone have a low level vulpix or growlithe they'd be willing to part with? not picking cyndaquil really leaves me with no fire pokemon lol

What's your team right now? There are numerous non-Fire Pokemon that can learn Fire Blast, which is easily bought in Goldenrod City for 5500.

Axis

flaafy, slowpoke, croconaw, drowzee, spearow and another spearow right now(quest from the guy above goldenrod city)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Axis said:
flaafy, slowpoke, croconaw, drowzee, spearow and another spearow right now(quest from the guy above goldenrod city)

Slowpoke receives Fire Blast to roast those Grass types, but you're nearing the area where you'll be able to find Growlithe/Vulpix too.

Axis

ohhh alright then! as long as i'm close to where i can get growlithe it's all good. not using a walkthrough for this lol and i've never played gold/silver/crystal before =/

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Axis said:
ohhh alright then! as long as i'm close to where i can get growlithe it's all good. not using a walkthrough for this lol and i've never played gold/silver/crystal before =/

Yes, it's
Route 36
. You might want to invest in Fire Blast regardless. Arcanine/Growlithe's Special Attack is good, and you won't get Flare Blitz/Flamethrower for quite a while. And if you opt for Flare Blitz, you'll miss out on Extreme Speed (if you don't breed). You'll be able to plow over Pokemon higher levels than you with it.

Thanks to his high speed (and the 30% flinch rate), and need to be able to hit Water types for decent damage he's a good Headbutt Pokemon. If you do equip him with Sunny Day though Fire Blast/Solarbeam combination causes a lot of pain!

Axis

EvilMario said:
Yes, it's
Route 36
. You might want to invest in Fire Blast regardless. Arcanine/Growlithe's Special Attack is good, and you won't get Flare Blitz/Flamethrower for quite a while. And if you opt for Flare Blitz, you'll miss out on Extreme Speed (if you don't breed). You'll be able to plow over Pokemon higher levels than you with it.

Thanks to his high speed (and the 30% flinch rate), and need to be able to hit Water types for decent damage he's a good Headbutt Pokemon. If you do equip him with Sunny Day though Fire Blast/Solarbeam combination causes a lot of pain!

haha yeah. i tanked with growlithe/arcanine through the last half of diamond and he just wrecked shit. flare blitz can't be learned by arcanine right? have to wait to evolve him?

ryan-ts

So is someone making pokemon trade thread or are we just going to conduct trades in here?

Also, how do I find my friend code to trade with people on here?

Gravijah

ryan-ts said:
So is someone making pokemon trade thread or are we just going to conduct trades in here?

Go downstairs in a Pokecenter, you'll get a Palpad. Then talk to the lady in the middle and she'll offer to give you a FC.

Edit: Check your palpad after you do the WiFi thing for your FC.

isny

napkin dispenser
Axis said:

I just taught Togepi Fire Blast and it works well.

I did however spend some time catching a Vulpix...took awhile though as they kept running, has to confuse and just keep throwing balls at em =(

ryan-ts said:

Yeah someone needs to make one, im desperate to trade for the Gamestop Jirachi...

Axis

kyo_daikun said:
Yeah someone needs to make one, im desperate to trade for the Gamestop Jirachi...

i may have an extra one if you want it *shrug* if you have any other events to trade that'd be cool too

Jeels

Wow, i can't believe they took away the slots for this shit game of minesweeper. =/ I can't get any coins at all and its boring as hell.

Why must we suffer because of another country's rules.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Axis said:
haha yeah. i tanked with growlithe/arcanine through the last half of diamond and he just wrecked shit. flare blitz can't be learned by arcanine right? have to wait to evolve him?

Growlithe learns it at a late level 49, I believe. You'll miss Extreme Speed then which Arcanine receives at 39 (so unless you plan on using Heart Scales/Breeding, it'll be one or the other). Personally, I would stick with Fire Blast/Extreme Speed/Sunny Day/Solarbeam, especially if you have a nature that doesn't hinder either attacking stats (which are both good on Arcanine).

Axis said:
looking for the TRU shaymin so i don't miss that event =/

otherwise, not really...anything will do!

I've been wondering what TRU means for AGES and just worked out its Toys R Us, I feel proud I worked it out without asking.

Can't think of what I have while im stuck at work, do you have the flying pikachu and the electivire/ magmortar from PBR? I have them spare or any specific items you need like a certain stone or something.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
isny said:
Need the Shaymin as well =(

Sucks being in Canada!

You missed your chance. Oak's Letter was available to ALL of North America last year, Sept. 28 to Nov. 8, 2009 via Wifi. If you ask around, I'm sure someone who clones will be happy to share one.

Metroid Killer said:
Heart Scales can luckily be found plentiful in HG/SS. Both at the Pokethlon and in some pokewalker stages, so relearning has never been as easy!

Farming them off Luvdisc near the water fall outside the Elite 4 in DPP is still the easiest route, in my opinion. Bring Compound Eyes Butterfree with Thief, which raises the chance of held items appearing, and you receive them on 7 out of 10 Luvdisc. And you don't even have to catch them!

Axis

kyo_daikun said:
I've been wondering what TRU means for AGES and just worked out its Toys R Us, I feel proud I worked it out without asking.

Can't think of what I have while im stuck at work, do you have the flying pikachu and the electivire/ magmortar from PBR? I have them spare or any specific items you need like a certain stone or something.

no sir i don't have any of those...i'll take them tho :)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Probably not a good idea to get wasted for the first time while expecting a package the next day. Good thing I woke up early instead of being woken up by the usual loud knocking of the UPS guy, but now I have to find out how to make myself better for now. :lol I wants me some pokeymans. ):

Is there a mobile version of Bulbapedia, a webapp or native app? Anything that can make it more usable on the go, or something else with similar functionality would be amazing.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
"Delivered"

Yay! Now I just need to go back home. UPS didn't show up during the last 3 hour downtime between classes, but its at home now, waiting.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Metroid Killer said:
The first(I think). Say you put a lvl 3 rattata in th pokewalker a go for a long walk. When you connect to the DS again it'll say that Rattata grew one level. He'll then be at lvl 4.(without any exp points gained at this level).
When the pokemon goes up a level and "stops" gaining XP until you level it in game, do you still earn watts while walking?

Also, question about this line from the pokewalker wiki -

Wikipedia said:
When players first begin their journeys with the Pokéwalker, the list of routes they can select from is short. But, the more players take a stroll with their Pokémon, the more routes will appear and the more Pokémon and items they’ll be able to get.

Does this mean that you unlock more routes only with the Pokemon that you are taking on the walk (meaning you would need to unlock once each for every pokemon you walk with), or is a given route open to ALL Pokemon once unlocked with any one?

Hex

Banned
So odd - one copy of Soul Silver and one copy of Heart Gold are shipped and on the way, the other two copies of SS are still in the "we are preparing to ship" stage.

Salaadin

Odious Tea said:
Is there a mobile version of Bulbapedia, a webapp or native app? Anything that can make it more usable on the go, or something else with similar functionality would be amazing.

They should release some kind of massive pokemon database that we can carry in our pockets. Id buy it.

Bulbapedia has been giving me a load of issues lately. It doesnt want to load half the time and occasionally takes ages to do so.

Hex

Banned
Salaadin said:
They should release some kind of massive pokemon database that we can carry in our pockets. Id buy it.

Bulbapedia has been giving me a load of issues lately. It doesnt want to load half the time and occasionally takes ages to do so.

I am honestly surprised that nobody has done it, fear of copyright I would imagine.

Salaadin

Fumetsu said:
I am honestly surprised that nobody has done it, fear of copyright I would imagine.

Yeah. I think the chances of Nintendo releasing something so massive and updateable like that are slim.

ReiGun

Salaadin said:
Only lately? I pretty much always have problems with Bulbapedia. I wish there was another resource like it out there.

Almost off. Can't wait to get on the bus and get back to the adventure. :D

Wizpig

Why is the OP banned?
JC.gif

Salaadin

ReiGun said:
Only lately? I pretty much always have problems with Bulbapedia. I wish there was another resource like it out there.

Almost off. Can't wait to get on the bus and get back to the adventure. :D

I said "lately" because Ive only been using it lately :p
You are right, though. Back when I was using it daily when I got Platinum, it was also a pain to use. I guess its always like that.

Bentendo

Fumetsu said:
So odd - one copy of Soul Silver and one copy of Heart Gold are shipped and on the way, the other two copies of SS are still in the "we are preparing to ship" stage.

Wait... I don't know if I'm reading this right... Are you saying you purchased four copies of the game? :lol

OMG Aero

Fumetsu said:
Someone did make a Pokedex app for the iPhone that used data from Bulbapedia but since they charged for it and Bulbapedia makes their data available freely they told the creator of the app to either take it down or make the app free and he took it down. It's a shame, I'd be all over a good Pokedex app.

On an unrelated note, I only have 6 Pokemon left to get to complete the National Dex on Platinum (Three of them being Lugia, Ho-Oh and Celebi and the other three being Pokemon I already have on my Pearl cartridge). If anyone could help me trade those 3 Pokemon from my Pearl to my Platinum games that would be a great help and if anyone has a Lugia and/or Ho-Oh they could trade to me so I could get the Dex data then give them back, that would be awesome.
I have at least one member of every evolutionary family on Platinum so I could give any non legendary Pokemon to anyone who can help me as a reward.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm tempted to play this game with my original team which included a ridiculously high level Unown until I realised it will never learn another move. H Unown is the best.

Gravijah

BGBW said:
I'm tempted to play this game with my original team which included a ridiculously high level Unown until I realised it will never learn another move. H Unown is the best.

What level was he when you realized?

ReiGun

Salaadin said:
I said "lately" because Ive only been using it lately :p
You are right, though. Back when I was using it daily when I got Platinum, it was also a pain to use. I guess its always like that.
I always thought there was some problem on my end. Nice to see it sucks for everybody. :lol

Top Bottom