• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
JSnake said:
My Cyndaquil got a Bold nature. Is that good, EvilMario?

Ideally speaking, you'll want a Modest (+Special Attack, -Attack), or Timid (+Speed, -Attack) nature for the Cyndaquil. But as long as the nature leaves your Special Attack untouched, it should be fine if you don't feel like saving right in front of the Pokeballs and resetting. The nature effect stats by 10%, which is quite a bit, but not game breaking for In-Game.

http://www.serebii.net/games/natures.shtml

Gravijah

I'm never gonna get to Union Cave. Go down the route... Some dude wants to give me berries. Damn it. :lol Now I have to run back! Then I start to go towards Union cave and boom... Togepi hatches. Back again. :/

Metroid Killer said:
I'm not 100% sure as I actually haven't looked that much into it yet. But I've seen other people confirm that you can use Two different Arceus to get 2 of the legendary dragons at serebii forums.

One was a fateful encounter(the one being distributed in Europe right now) and the other was some other Arceus(not the flute one).

Edit: Maybe the other Arceus is the movie 12 one?

Aww doubtful anyone on here is going to have the movie 12 one as that was japan only im sure.

I personally think the only one worth getting anyway is the Giratina for the griseous orb.

Hex

Banned
Bentendo said:
Wait... I don't know if I'm reading this right... Are you saying you purchased four copies of the game? :lol

SS for me, HG for my gf, her two kids bother chose SS so yeah my wallet got smacked.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
kyo_daikun said:
Aww doubtful anyone on here is going to have the movie 12 one as that was japan only im sure.

I personally think the only one worth getting anyway is the Giratina for the griseous orb.

Giratina with Shadow Sneak has probably benefited the most, being a good revenge killer and giving him advantages over other Dragons in the tier with STAB priority.

But Palkia with Hydro Pump has its uses, as Hydro Pump in Ubers under Kyogre's Rain is devastating even to thinks that resist it.

Dialga will almost never use Metal Burst though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Monroeski said:
What is a good nature for Totodile?

/can't access Serebii right now

Poster above is correct, Adamant, or Jolly have the most benefits. But Lonely (+Attack, -Def), Naughty (+Attack, -SpDef), Hasty (+Speed, -Def), or Naive (+Speed, -SpDef) are all fine In-Game. Especially since you might be using things like Surf (and all his Water attacks are special early, before Waterfall) on Feraligatr, and he has respectable base 79 Special Attack.

Every starter for every generation has a 'good attacking stat', and an 'okay attacking stat'. None are so one sided that you must pick one, over the other, but there are general benefits to each.

EvilMario said:
Poster above is correct, Adamant, or Jolly have the most benefits. But Lonely (+Attack, -Def), Naughty (+Attack, -SpDef), Hasty (+Speed, -Def), or Naive (+Speed, -SpDef) are all fine In-Game. Especially since you might be using things like Surf (and all his Water attacks are special early, before Waterfall) on Feraligatr, and he has respectable base 79 Special Attack.

Every starter for every generation has a 'good attacking stat', and an 'okay attacking stat'. None are so one sided that you must pick one, over the other, but there are general benefits to each.

Haha sorry guys I should have provided a more detailed explanation like the quote but my manager walked over so it was a quick submit and minimise!

Just checked my emails and the panic is over, my Hyperpowered Gold has been posted so I should have it soon! (The ebay seller lives less than an hour away from my house but wouldn't let me collect it this morning >.>)

ryan-ts

EzLink said:
Just got to the Safari Zone, I love how you have unlimited steps.

I've never really done much in SZ in previous games though because its so frusterating. I mean, there isn't any rhyme or reason to throwing mud/bait right? You just randomly pick one to throw a couple times and start throwing balls, and hope the pokemon doesn't run away?

Yeah, it's pretty much random. Imagine finding a shiny in the safari? "Oh shit, what should I do? If I throw mud or give it food it might run but if I throw the pokeball right away I might not catch him." Seeing it flee would be the biggest slap in the face.

As soon as I edit it, what do I see but two slaps to the face.

Dogenzaka said:
How do I know what natures I'm going to want? >_>

Ask for specific pokemon and im sure people will help, or just look at Smogon.com

ryan-ts said:
Yeah, it's pretty much random. Imagine finding a shiny in the safari? "Oh shit, what should I do? If I throw mud or give it food it might run but if I throw the pokeball right away I might not catch him."

Found a shiney Taurus on FR or LG, it didnt go well...

Gravijah

ryan-ts said:
Yeah, it's pretty much random. Imagine finding a shiny in the safari? "Oh shit, what should I do? If I throw mud or give it food it might run but if I throw the pokeball right away I might not catch him."

Please don't bring up finding a shiny in the safari zone. It's so painful.

Shiny Miltank in Leaf Green. It ran away.

Gravijah said:
Please don't bring up finding a shiny in the safari zone. It's so painful.

Shiny Miltank in Leaf Green. It ran away.

Yeah Shineys can be horrible, I found a shiney graveller on platinum a month ago, its first move? Explosion

Magni

Dogenzaka said:

For Physical sweepers, Adamant, for Special sweepers, Modest. For the others check Smogon, I don't know them by heart :lol

Danielsan

Every time I visit this thread I am reminded how completely ridiculously overcomplicated these games can be.
People breeding Pokémon with special natures, starting stats and what not.
My god. Luckily they can still be enjoyed without all that nonsense.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Dogenzaka said:

It depends on the Pokemon. Some benefit from having only physical, or special attacks, thus you wouldn't want a nature to hinders their attacking type. Some really appreciate speed, so they might want a boost there.. or things like Snorlax don't mind a little extra defense to take hits like a champ.

In-Game, some Pokemon's level up moves tailor to one side, or the other, even though in competitive play they may be used differently. You should check to see what the level up moves are, or what TMs your Pokemon can learn (if you don't plan on breeding, which is a lot more completed..), so determine what you should be aiming for.

Natures are not so important though if you're all about In-Game 'just for kicks' playthroughs. It certainly helps having a Modest Starmie over a Jolly one, but don't think you won't be able to function without knowing the 'perfect nature'.

Remember, there are also IVs, and EVs, which most people will ignore in such a casual playthrough.. and they're even more important! :lol

MagniHarvald said:
For Physical sweepers, Adamant, for Special sweepers, Modest. For the others check Smogon, I don't know them by heart :lol

Adamant/Jolly for physical, and Modest/Timid for special. The first ones boost the attack/special attack, and the second boost speed.

kyo_daikun said:
Yeah Shineys can be horrible, I found a shiney graveller on platinum a month ago, its first move? Explosion

I always carry spare Master Balls (from other playthroughs and trades) just for this purpose. And with RNG now shiny Pokemon, and flawless IVed Pokemon are not so rare.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52180

Salaadin

Danielsan said:
Every time I visit this thread I am reminded how completely ridiculously overcomplicated these games can be.

Yeah. Im not into any of that and just kinda roll with whatever the game throws at me. Still, its pretty damn awesome that this much thinking can go into it.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Salaadin said:
Yeah. Im not into any of that and just kinda roll with whatever the game throws at me. Still, its pretty damn awesome that this much thinking can go into it.

Nintendo needs to be applauded for adding things to the game every single time they make a new one without breaking the fickle balance they've established over the years.

ryan-ts

Relating to getting stronger Pokemon, in the original version of Silver/Gold one of the Elite 4 members tell you that real trainers just use their favourite Pokemon. For some reason that has always stuck with me and thats why when I get a Cubone it will never evolve into Marowak.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ryan-ts said:
Relating to getting stronger Pokemon, in the original version of Silver/Gold one of the Elite 4 members tell you that real trainers just use their favourite Pokemon. For some reason that has always stuck with me and thats why when I get a Cubone it will never evolve into Marowak.

Competitively speaking, if you wanted to play with the cute Pokemon, there's always level 5 Little Cup for you. Ironically, it's the most offensive, high powered, fastest moving tier of all! The only true walls are Munchlax (special) and Gligar (physical).

Ookami-kun said:
Say, how long does the Pokewalker battery last?

According to the booklet, it will last about 4 months if you're 'using it' 30 minutes per day. I'm guessing by using it, they mean actually playing with it, and not having it in sleep mode.

Balb

Salaadin said:

This is a good attitude to have when playing Pokemon. Better than saying "lol man i only use rock paper scissors strategy cuz thats the way it was meant to be played!!!!!!!! screw anyone else who thinks differently" like a few people in this thread have been doing.

ryan-ts

EvilMario said:
Competitively speaking, if you wanted to play with the cute Pokemon, there's always level 5 Little Cup for you. Ironically, it's the most offensive, high powered, fastest moving tier of all! The only true walls are Munchlax (special) and Gligar (physical).

Nah, Cubone and Politoed are the only "cute" Pokemon I like.

6 favourite are:

Cubone
Scizor
Charizard
Politoed
Arcanine
Snorlax

and yes after I get far enough into the game I plan on having this as my team. Politoed and Scizor will probably be hard to get though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ryan-ts said:
Nah, Cubone and Politoed are the only "cute" Pokemon I like.

6 favourite are:

Cubone
Scizor
Charizard
Politoed
Arcanine
Snorlax

and yes after I get far enough into the game I plan on having this as my team. Politoed and Scizor will probably be hard to get though.

Politoed definitely sticks out on that list. :lol

Scyther is rare, but you can find him in the Bug Catching Contest.. and I believe one of the Pokeradar areas has Scyther as well. If you manage to obtain a Scizor with Technician for an ability, make sure to have it learn Bullet Punch!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The Pokewalker saves everything to a Non-volatile media, right? I don't want to find the battery died and I lost my pokemon.

I wonder how much Gamestop is going to resell the walkers for. They are going to get flooded with them in a few months, that I can't see it being to much :lol

What have you guys put in your Walker so far? I just decided to put in Geodude.

ryan-ts

EvilMario said:
Politoed definitely sticks out on that list. :lol

If you manage to obtain a Scizor with Technician for an ability, make sure to have it learn Bullet Punch!

I like frogs and toads. I'll also try to keep the Scizor thing in mind, chances are I'll forget soon.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Drkirby said:
The Pokewalker saves everything to a Non-volatile media, right? I don't want to find the battery died and I lost my pokemon.

I wonder how much Gamestop is going to resell the walkers for. They are going to get flooded with them in a few months, that I can't see it being to much :lol

The only thing you'll lose when your battery dies is the wattage from the current walk, and items/Pokemon collected. Your Pokemon that is on its walk can be restored back to your DS at any time, even if you lose the Pokewalker.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Drkirby said:

According to bulba your mon won't vanish when your Walker dies.

upandaway

Drkirby said:

The walkers aren't specific to their original cart?

upandaway said:
The walkers aren't specific to their original cart?

Nope anyone will work, apparently the japanese poke walkers can even be used with american copies, they change language as well to english.

Hex

Banned
Danielsan said:

I think the natures and all of that are very interesting and very cool and fun to learn.
(It is in the game and open to everyone).

On the other hand, the whole cheating the system to get shiny eggs and whatnot and a lot of the back door things are kind of meh and make me hesitant to get into the tourney or battling thing.

Fumetsu said:
I think the natures and all of that are very interesting and very cool and fun to learn.
(It is in the game and open to everyone).

On the other hand, the whole cheating the system to get shiny eggs and whatnot and a lot of the back door things are kind of meh and make me hesitant to get into the tourney or battling thing.

I doubt you will have to worry about the tourney being run on here, im sure the most people will do is EV's and using decent natures, IV's are just OTT to be honest.

Lkr

where did you get a Khangaskhan?
And is Pidgeotto good? Mine is level 18, want to make sure I'm doing this for a reason

ryan-ts

kyo_daikun said:
I doubt you will have to worry about the tourney being run on here, im sure the most people will do is EV's and using decent natures, IV's are just OTT to be honest.

I hope so, I'd like to battle some people on GAF but I don't want to have to go to extremes to win. Will everyone have their Pokemon at level 100 though? I don't think I can will myself to do that.

Lkr said:
where did you get a Khangaskhan?
And is Pidgeotto good? Mine is level 18, want to make sure I'm doing this for a reason

Pokewalker, edit: refreshing field.

isny

napkin dispenser
ryan-ts said:
I hope so, I'd like to battle some people on GAF but i don't want to have to go to extremes to win. Will everyone have their Pokemon at level 100 though? I don't think I can will myself to do that.

Pokewalker, forget which course though.

The first course. Hit 3000 steps and then go catch one. I caught three, only one had Scrappy.

Lkr

damn, 3000 steps is gonna take forever. and i haven't even been able to catch a pokemon with the pokewalker yet

how can i get a heracross

Dogenzaka

Banned
EvilMario said:
According to the booklet, it will last about 4 months if you're 'using it' 30 minutes per day. I'm guessing by using it, they mean actually playing with it, and not having it in sleep mode.

So then what do we do? Throw it away? Can't you replace the battery?

Hex

Banned
Someone make a thread and code thread for the online forum so we can do casual battles and whatnot as well as hype the Tourneys that are being set up on here (and link to their official tourney and info threads).
Sixfortyfive did a great tourney primer thread too.

(I am at work and can not do anything pretty, plus the whole junior thing)

isny

napkin dispenser
Dogenzaka said:
So then what do we do? Throw it away? Can't you replace the battery?

Yes, you just pop the battery out like a watch and replace it. Buy the battery at the local dollar store.

Gravijah

ryan-ts said:
I hope so, I'd like to battle some people on GAF but I don't want to have to go to extremes to win. Will everyone have their Pokemon at level 100 though? I don't think I can will myself to do that.

WiFi battles automatically level/delevel your Pokemon, so you won't have to hit 100

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ryan-ts said:

The other poster has it right, I breed for natures, and usually OKAY IVs. If I'm raising a Cacturne, I'll try to hit a perfect IV in Attack, and maybe something like Speed.. but generally speaking if the IVs are OKAY for the rest of the stats.. I'll leave it be. There are a few Pokemon I have near perfect IVs for including Jirachi, Extreme Speed Dragonite from my Japanese SS, and a few more. There are a few competitive battlers on here though. Many Shoddybattlers don't play the games themselves though, since breeding is quite a process.

I myself don't RNG.. it's too much work, and I don't need a 31/31/31/31/31 IV shiny for every Pokemon on my team. :lol

If any of you want a specific Pokemon you'll otherwise have trouble obtaining, I might be able to help you out once I get home. I'm sure I have a Heracross, or two sitting around.

Top Bottom