• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

isny

napkin dispenser
Lkr said:
If anyone has a Heracross, are you willing to trade? I have Jirachi and Shiny Pichu:lol

They're only from headbutting trees in mountain areas. I don't think any of us are fare enough to get to a mountainous area yet, lol

Balb

This is possibly the best remake I've ever played. I love the interface and all the tweaks they've made. It sounds cliche but this really does feel like a new experience to me. The remixes are great, the graphics appear to be better than Platinum because they use more elaborate designs, the localization is better and the new story elements they added were really smart, the Pokewalker is a really great way to think about how many steps you take while getting something in return (though I hope they flesh it out more in Gen 5) and the new puzzles they added to the gyms and Ilex Forest are great.

I'm not at Kanto yet so I can't comment on that half, but damn, Game Freak did an amazing job on this one.

Danielsan

Fumetsu said:
I think the natures and all of that are very interesting and very cool and fun to learn.
(It is in the game and open to everyone).

On the other hand, the whole cheating the system to get shiny eggs and whatnot and a lot of the back door things are kind of meh and make me hesitant to get into the tourney or battling thing.
Yeah I didn't mean to imply that it isn't cool.
I actually love the fact that there's such a complex system behind this game that provides additional uniqueness to pokémon even if they are of the same breed.
It's just that the whole EV and IV breeding/training and what seems ridiculous to me.

Balb said:
This is possibly the best remake I've ever played. I love the interface and all the tweaks they've made. It sounds cliche but this really does feel like a new experience to me. The remixes are great, the graphics appear to be better than Platinum because they use more elaborate designs, the localization is better and the new story elements they added were really smart.

I'm not at Kanto yet so I can't comment on that half, but damn, Game Freak did an amazing job on this one.

It is a much better game, the running shoes button in itself is genius, no more holding down the button to run!

The graphics look a hell of a lot better, the music is better and as you said the interface is amazing.

I will definetly be using this as my primary game leading up to Gen 5, platinum just doesn't have the same ease of use features.

Balb

Danielsan said:
I actually love the fact that there's such a complex system behind this game that provides additional uniqueness to pokémon even if they are of the same breed.
It's just that the whole EV and IV breeding/training and what seems ridiculous to me.

I think EVs are great. They add a lot of complexity to the game. IVs, not so much. IVs are too random for my taste, even if you can tweak the results slightly.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Danielsan said:

Look at it like this; IVs are genetics, they're passed down from the parents, but the new born has a partly unique make up as well.

EVs are through training. If you fight fast Pokemon, your Pokemon becomes faster. If you fight Pokemon that have good defense, your Pokemon develops good defense.

Even if you don't want to breed, and training specifically for them, the concept is still good.

Balb said:
I think EVs are great. They add a lot of complexity to the game. IVs, not so much. IVs are too random for my taste, even if you can tweak the results slightly.

Yeah I think the IV's are a step too far and are only used by the more hardcore, its obvious by the fact they are require so much effort to work out that nintendo never really intended anybody to use them when creating there team and such, it was just meant to be there for small variations in pokemon.

Lkr

teenage-mutant-ninja-squirtles-3895-1268360164-9.jpg

:D

Unicorn

Balb said:
As much as they make the game deeper, and a better justification for men in the 20's to continue playing. I feel it broke a lot of the magic and wonder of pokemon when a handful of nerds discovered the cogs turning the clock, so to speak.

For D/P I crafted two teams over months of hard labor, breeding and training to make a "competitive" team, but that is also asking my friends and anyone I play to put in that same amount of effort, since playing online is a JOKE with all the hacked pokemon and people that quit when they're about to lose.... so

This time about 12+ of my friend have agreed to get this game under the sole condition we don't breed for better IVs or train specific EVs (besides proteins and etc.) And I'm already seeing this experience will be more enjoyable than spending hours on end riding my bike up and down hatching eggs checking natures, abilities, etc.

Tiktaalik

Personally the EV training and other competitive aspects of the game are too hardcore for me.

I basically pretend that part of the game doesn't exist.

I just want to go around and collect neat looking pokemon :)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Unicorn said:
As much as they make the game deeper, and a better justification for men in the 20's to continue playing. I feel it broke a lot of the magic and wonder of pokemon when a handful of nerds discovered the cogs turning the clock, so to speak.

For D/P I crafted two teams over months of hard labor, breeding and training to make a "competitive" team, but that is also asking my friends and anyone I play to put in that same amount of effort, since playing online is a JOKE with all the hacked pokemon and people that quit when they're about to lose.... so

This time about 12+ of my friend have agreed to get this game under the sole condition we don't breed for better IVs or train specific EVs (besides proteins and etc.) And I'm already seeing this experience will be more enjoyable than spending hours on end riding my bike up and down hatching eggs checking natures, abilities, etc.

In my opinion, once you've done competitively battling for a while, it would be like trying to go back to playing a fighting game after you've discovered how to pull off combos, or special moves and saying 'no more combos, just the basics!'. I would never be able to look at my Sand Veil Dugtrio and say 'oh well, who needs Arena Trap.' :lol

Most competitive battlers stay on simulators online though, so they can make quite changes to teams, movesets and EV spreads, so no need to panic. The whole 'REALZ POKERMONS MASTERS DONT TRAIN THOUGH' is a little silly, as is the 'HOW CANZ U PLAY WITHOUT THE IVS AND BREEDING!'. I know people who refuse to even use items, because it's too much.

Metagames and casuals never mix well; hello, Smash Brothers.

Right now on my playthrough in the main game, I'm not concerned with my EVs at all, but I will pay attention to my natures and I'll use Pokemon with better natures. If I catch three Pidgey's I'm going to use the one with the best nature. But once the main game is over, you need to breed, and train even for things like the Battle Tower. It adds a lot of replay value to the game, and I personally enjoy it even though I rarely battle with my cart.

Forkball

I don't have HG/SS and might not get it for a while, but damn you all because this topic made me pick up Diamond again. I'm trying to catch them all (tm) and I thought I might try to see if any of the HG/SS players have some Pokemon I need, and alternatively I can help you out with a lot of other Pokemon. Here are the ones I need:

Weedle/Kakuna/Beedrill
Paras/Parasect
Doduo/Dodrio
Krabby/Kingler
Cubone/Marowak
Tangela/Tangrowth
Pinsir
Mew
Ledyba/Ledian
Politoed
Skiplum/Jumpluff
Umbreon
Pineco/Fortress
Gligar
Shuckle
Tediursa/Ursaring
Corsola
Houndoor/Houndoom
Kingdra
Stantler
Blissey
Raikou
Entei
Lugia
Ho-Oh
Celebi
Zigzagoon/Linoone
Seedot/Nuzleaf/Shiftree
Shroomish/Breloom
Slakoth/Vigoroth/Slaking
Ninjask
Mawile
Electrike/Manetric
Castform
Tropius
Huntail/Gorebyss
Latios
Groudon
Jirachi
Deoxys
Mismagius
Glameow/Purugly
Lickilicky
Yanmega
Gliscor
Mamoswine
Porygon-Z
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin
Arceus

For legendaries we can do trade/trade backs. The rest I will trade for pretty much anything that I don't have one of and can't get (like legendaries). Friend code is 4940-1963-3899.

Alternatively, if you really, really, REALLY, need or want a Pokemon, I can MAYBE give it to you for nothing. My AIM is in my profile.

Salaadin

15 more minutes of work and then its time to go play some more. I think I might have to find a way to comfortable walk in place while playing so I can get Pokewalker steps too.

Do my steps reset if I switched areas? I want a Magby but I need 5000 steps or something and to be on Rugged Rpad. Currently, I have 2000 or something on Edge of the Night Sky. If I switched tonight, do I lose those 2000?

Teknoman

Unicorn said:

GAF battle. Even when I had gamefaqs fights I never ran into hacks, so not sure where you were fighting.

Gravijah

Metroid Killer said:
^Yeah and that is why it's so wonderful that the games are made so that you can choose to play as you want :)

And that's why I get annoyed when people want the games to be revolutionized, yet only with their particular interests in mind.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Teknoman said:
GAF battle. Even when I had gamefaqs fights I never ran into hacks, so not sure where you were fighting.

There are numerous hack-checks in the competitive community, because of the random/hidden values that Pokemon generate within their own code. I hope we don't need to do any of that for the GAF tournament though, but I'm sure a Smogon member would help out if we suspect someone of cheating.

And as for movesets, I think someone will notice if someone's Caterpie starts OHKOing everything with Fire Blast. :lol

Salaadin said:
15 more minutes of work and then its time to go play some more. I think I might have to find a way to comfortable walk in place while playing so I can get Pokewalker steps too.

Do my steps reset if I switched areas? I want a Magby but I need 5000 steps or something and to be on Rugged Rpad. Currently, I have 2000 or something on Edge of the Night Sky. If I switched tonight, do I lose those 2000?

Nope, you'll be safe. I just switched Rugged Road and my steps didn't reset.

Salaadin said:
No, the steps only resets at midnight. But everytime you connect you transfer watts to the DS, so you need to build some new watts when switching area.

Netto-kun

This thread made me pick up my Japanese Heart Gold again.

Used 30 Ultra Balls and 20 Great Balls trying to catch Suicune. Ran out of those, but the fourth or fifth normal Poké Ball caught it. It feels like the game is trolling me whenever I try to catch a legendary Pokémon.:lol

Also, anyone willing to trade an extra (legit) event Arceus and/or Regigigas? I got 10th Anniversary Mew, event Jirachi and a bunch of Shaymin.

Mr.City

Are you guys trying to go with natures, IVs, EVs, etc when you first start playing? I usually go with whatever, and then once I unlock everything, that's when I start raising competitive pokemon. I'm kicking myself so much since I lost interest and let my girlfriend play over my saved game. I lost so many competitors and a few shinies. Hell, I can't even find the cart. That's why I picked up Platinum.

EzLink

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
No, the steps only resets at midnight. But everytime you connect you transfer watts to the DS, so you need to build some new watts when switching area.

Wait what? So you have to transfer your steps every day back to your game for it to count? Like if I go a week with taking my pokewalker with me and accumulate a bunch and then connect it back to the game it will only transfer the steps taken since midnight?

Lkr said:
thanks Metroidkiller
No problem. So far gaf has been awesome when it comes to trading pokemon!

EzLink said:
Wait what? So you have to transfer your steps every day back to your game for it to count? Like if I go a week with taking my pokewalker with me and accumulate a bunch and then connect it back to the game it will only transfer the steps taken since midnight?
No 'steps' are reset every midnight. 'Watts' stays in the pokewalker unless you connect with the DS.

I should be able to breed cyndaquil, kangaskhan, or heracross for anyone who needs them. Nothing else really interesting yet.

I'm looking for a totodile and chikorita if possible, but should be able to crank out some eggs if people need them regardless.

Unicorn

EvilMario said:
In my opinion, once you've done competitively battling for a while, it would be like trying to go back to playing a fighting game after you've discovered how to pull off combos, or special moves and saying 'no more combos, just the basics!'. I would never be able to look at my Sand Veil Dugtrio and say 'oh well, who needs Arena Trap.' :lol

Most competitive battlers stay on simulators online though, so they can make quite changes to teams, movesets and EV spreads, so no need to panic. The whole 'REALZ POKERMONS MASTERS DONT TRAIN THOUGH' is a little silly, as is the 'HOW CANZ U PLAY WITHOUT THE IVS AND BREEDING!'. I know people who refuse to even use items, because it's too much.

Metagames and casuals never mix well; hello, Smash Brothers.

Right now on my playthrough in the main game, I'm not concerned with my EVs at all, but I will pay attention to my natures and I'll use Pokemon with better natures. If I catch three Pidgey's I'm going to use the one with the best nature. But once the main game is over, you need to breed, and train even for things like the Battle Tower. It adds a lot of replay value to the game, and I personally enjoy it even though I rarely battle with my cart.
Yeah, it's hard for me to drop a few tendencies, like running from certain pokemon in caves just so I can keep fighting Geodudes for that particular EV :lol

But I think it'll be easier for me to cut those tendencies off as I want to enjoy the game with my friends without bitching. There is one friend though that went more in-depth with his HxC pokemon training than me, and a lot of us are STILL going to refuse to play with him, because, like you said, old habits die hard.

Lkr

Zod the Bear said:
I should be able to breed cyndaquil, kangaskhan, or heracross for anyone who needs them. Nothing else really interesting yet.

I'm looking for a totodile and chikorita if possible, but should be able to crank out some eggs if people need them regardless.
I'd breed the Totodile in exchange for a cyndoquil if i was far enough

Kyzer

Banned
Forkball said:
The thing I said.

I'm willing to offer a partnership as I'm going to be aiming for that in HG/SS too. I have Ruby and FireRed too so once the Pal Park opens up to me I'll be able to help you out.

Should be blasting through the game pretty quick.

Unicorn

Netto-kun said:
This thread made me pick up my Japanese Heart Gold again.

Used 30 Ultra Balls and 20 Great Balls trying to catch Suicune. Ran out of those, but the fourth or fifth normal Poké Ball caught it. It feels like the game is trolling me whenever I try to catch a legendary Pokémon.:lol

Also, anyone willing to trade an extra (legit) event Arceus and/or Regigigas? I got 10th Anniversary Mew, event Jirachi and a bunch of Shaymin.
haha back in LeafGreen I caught a Mewtwo with a regular pokeball.... when he was at full health! :lol

celebi23

Picked up both games. Playing HeartGold. Probably will give SoulSilver to my lady friend :D Got a Lv. 8 Cyndaquil on the way back to New Bark Town :D Oh man, the nostalgia is awesome :D :D

Axis

alright so i have a few mins to spare...if anyone needs the event arceus long enough to get their lvl 1 pokemon then let me know and i'll trade it to you long enough to do so.

not asking for anything back but if you have a shaymin or darkrai that you have extras of then i'll accept it!

Teknoman

I'll raise my team going through the game like normal, catching lots of pokemon on the way...however I will use EV reducing berries after beating all the trailers, and then retrain the pokemon that need it.

EDIT: Did anyone ever answer the question about what battle theme plays during Player vs Player?

Lkr

Zod the Bear said:
Cool, I just got about to that point anyway, so I'll crank a few out after some errands and set one aside for you.
don't count on me unless you don't mind waiting. im still trying to beat bugsy

Kyzer

Banned
Axis said:
alright so i have a few mins to spare...if anyone needs the event arceus long enough to get their lvl 1 pokemon then let me know and i'll trade it to you long enough to do so.

not asking for anything back but if you have a shaymin or darkrai that you have extras of then i'll accept it!

Do you only need to be up to the Ruins of Alph in order to trigger the event? Or is there some kind of requirement?

Lkr

DeathbyVolcano said:
So how does one transfer pokemon from Platinum over to HG/SS?
trade

im thinking about going for a jog or walk(something i never do) just for the pokewalker. damn nintendo and its encouraging exercise ways

Oh no... My sentret is brave! - speed nature :(

Must... not... care... about... natures

In Azelea so far. U-turn is sick overpowered on that Scyther. Mareep's Static did not take effect :(

Thankfully I still got off some Sand Attacks with Pidgey, and then my freshly hatched Togepi charmed its attack way down as it missed me.

Quilava managed to burn him, and then finished him off. Charm + Accuracy Reducers = The Bomb.

Lkr said:
trade

im thinking about going for a jog or walk(something i never do) just for the pokewalker. damn nintendo and its encouraging exercise ways

Raining here, so I've put mine in my shoe and am just tapping my foot. GET HAPPIER TOGAPI

Lkr

Zod the Bear said:
Raining here, so I've put mine in my shoe and am just tapping my foot. GET HAPPIER TOGAPI
lol im too much of a germaphobe to do that. i was bouncing mine around the bed yesterday and that worked a bit:lol

Top Bottom