• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

EzLink

Banned
Red Gyrados get!

Goddam I've been such a sloth since yesterday. I have a measly 450 steps on the pokewalker because all i've been doing is laying down/sitting playing the game :lol

Hope it registers steps when I take I'm using the elliptical at the gym

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I have found the best way for me to get watts on the walker. What I did was I put it on top of a box fan, turned the fan on to high, and let it sit there over night. I started out with ~2000 steps, I woke up with this:

1bvb3l.jpg

My Ghastly loves me now.

Eteric Rice

EvilMario said:
Ideally speaking, you'll want a Modest (+Special Attack, -Attack), or Timid (+Speed, -Attack) nature for the Cyndaquil. But as long as the nature leaves your Special Attack untouched, it should be fine if you don't feel like saving right in front of the Pokeballs and resetting. The nature effect stats by 10%, which is quite a bit, but not game breaking for In-Game.

http://www.serebii.net/games/natures.shtml

Also wouldn't worry about this stuff until you beat the game (if you're playing competitively anyway).

You can always breed a new one with the right nature later down the line when the main part of the game is over.

Bentendo

Can someone explain to me the Voltorb game? Is there a definite way to know where the Voltorbs are? I feel so silly for not understanding it. :lol

Big Ass Ramp said:
I have found the best way for me to get watts on the walker. What I did was I put it on top of a box fan, turned the fan on to high, and let it sit there over night. I started out with ~2000 steps, I woke up with this:

]http://i.imgur.com/1bvb3l.jpg[]

My Ghastly loves me now.
Thx for the advice :lol

Lkr

Big Ass Ramp said:

1bvb3l.jpg

My Ghastly loves me now.
what is a box fan?

Dogenzaka

Banned
Lkr said:
what is a box fan?

Seriously. A box-shaped fan? A box on a fan?

EDIT: Oh those things. Yeah, I don't have one. Our A/C kind of makes the need for fans like those unnecessary. Maybe a ceiling fan will work in my case, though.

Big-ass Ramp

Lkr said:
damn, all i have is a small fan, ceiling fan, and AC.

let me know how the ceiling fan works out

I tried my ceiling fan first and it didn't seem to work. Something about the constant movement without any interruption seems to make it skip most of the "steps." The best bet is something that makes the pokewalker rock back and forth. Try putting it on top of your dryer, that works as well.

Lkr

Big Ass Ramp said:
I tried my ceiling fan first and it didn't seem to work. Something about the constant movement without any interruption seems to make it skip most of the "steps."
doesn't matter how many it skips, i have my ceiling fan on so much that it will get 99999 in a timely fashion

Big-ass Ramp

Lkr said:
doesn't matter how many it skips, i have my ceiling fan on so much that it will get 99999 in a timely fashion

Well, I had it taped to my ceiling fan for about 20 minutes and only gained around 10 steps.

Kyzer

Banned
if anyone could help me transfer eggs from one game to HG I could give them a couple of those eggs too. for anyone who wants to spice up the variety of pokemon they can make their team from during the game.

I lost to Morty 4 times due to his Gengar. But little did I realize that sucker punch on has five PP, so I continued to heal my Pidgeotto until he ran out and gust him to death. :D
Current Team
Bayleef - 25
Pidgeotto - 25
Drowzee - 23
Quagsire - 21

I have a lvl 21 Sudowoodo because I haven't decided who my next Pokémon will be. I'm most likely going for an electric and fire type next. I also have a lvl 6 Paras for cut.

Dogenzaka

Banned
NOOOOO this game has quickly turned into crack cocaine.

Pokewalker + Pokemon following you has been an addictive one-two-punch into making the series fresh for me again.

Fux :( how am I going to study this week

I look forward to the next-gen coming out this year in Japan.

Am I the only one that sometimes has problems where the walker won't register steps anymore? This has happened twice now and it resolves randomly.

Lkr

even easier. hold the pokewalker in your hand and make a masturbation gesture. you really rack up the steps without making any real effort:lol :lol :lol

Netto-kun

Unicorn said:
haha back in LeafGreen I caught a Mewtwo with a regular pokeball.... when he was at full health! :lol
I am starting to believe that Poké Ball > Ultra/Great Ball. 15 Ultra and Great Balls on Articuno, all of them failed. Fourth normal Poké Ball, caught!:lol

Bentendo

Lkr said:
even easier. hold the pokewalker in your hand and make a masturbation gesture. you really rack up the steps without making any real effort:lol :lol :lol

That's what I did at the movie theater last night. The people around me probably thought I was nuts. :lol

Big-ass Ramp

Dogenzaka said:
NOOOOO
Am I the only one that sometimes has problems where the walker won't register steps anymore? This has happened twice now and it resolves randomly.

Same thing happens with me. It's like it stops counting for a little bit, then suddenly it adds a bunch of steps to your total. I assume it's some sort of battery saving technique. By not showing the step count in real time probably saves some juice. I'm probably way off though.

WEGGLES

EzLink said:
Red Gyrados get!

Goddam I've been such a sloth since yesterday. I have a measly 450 steps on the pokewalker because all i've been doing is laying down/sitting playing the game :lol

Hope it registers steps when I take I'm using the elliptical at the gym
It should.
I was in the car playin with the pokewalker (I wasn't driving) and it started to go up from the little bumps in the highway

Eteric Rice

EvilMario said:
The other poster has it right, I breed for natures, and usually OKAY IVs. If I'm raising a Cacturne, I'll try to hit a perfect IV in Attack, and maybe something like Speed.. but generally speaking if the IVs are OKAY for the rest of the stats.. I'll leave it be. There are a few Pokemon I have near perfect IVs for including Jirachi, Extreme Speed Dragonite from my Japanese SS, and a few more. There are a few competitive battlers on here though. Many Shoddybattlers don't play the games themselves though, since breeding is quite a process.

I myself don't RNG.. it's too much work, and I don't need a 31/31/31/31/31 IV shiny for every Pokemon on my team. :lol

If any of you want a specific Pokemon you'll otherwise have trouble obtaining, I might be able to help you out once I get home. I'm sure I have a Heracross, or two sitting around.

Do people actually have 31/31/31/31/31 IV pokemon? Jesus... lol

Anyway, the way I'm probably going to do it is just beat the game, go to the simulators to make a team I like, then catch and breed that team in game (with the right natures and IVs).

Worrying about metagame stuff while trying to get through storymode would drive me insane.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:
Same thing happens with me. It's like it stops counting for a little bit, then suddenly it adds a bunch of steps to your total. I assume it's some sort of battery saving technique. By not showing the step count in real time probably saves some juice. I'm probably way off though.

No like, I battled a Pokemon. It ran away.

So...now it's been half an hour and my Pokewalker is not registering any steps whatsoever. I can't get it to work now. Then in like 3 hours, it will start working again for some reason.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
So I was fighting a Wooper yesterday with my Bellsprout and I wrapped it... and the subsequent end-of-turn wraps were still saying "Wooper is hurt by Wrap!" but it wasn't doing any damage to him. Anyone have any idea why?

Wiseblade

Eteric Rice said:
Do people actually have 31/31/31/31/31 IV pokemon? Jesus... lol
If you exploit the platinum RNG, I believe it's not too hard. I don't, which makes it pretty much impossible. I've come kind of close, 28/31/31/x/x/31. I'm never doing that again though. :lol

Eteric Rice

Wiseblade said:
If you exploit the platinum RNG, I believe it's not too hard. I don't, which makes it pretty much impossible. I've come kind of close, 28/31/31/x/x/31. I'm never doing that again though. :lol

Wouldn't that typically get you booted from tourneys, though? :lol

Magni

Eteric Rice said:

Why? It's not cheating/hacking, is it? I've got a 31/31/31/31/31/31 pokémon, but it's not mine originally :lol I don't play competitively, but I still try to get 31s in the most important stats (SpA and Spe for special sweepers for example).

edit: Could any one trade me a Growlithe or Arcanine, I've got lvl 1 Seels with a 31 in HP, Atk, or Def, or Abras with a 31 in HP, SpD, or Spe to offer :lol PM =)

Dogenzaka

Banned
Zefah said:
Wow, I just noticed this thread.

I just started playing the Japanese version of Soul Silver last week and am about 11 hours into it (just got the 4th badge). I had no idea the US release was today.

This is actually my first Pokémon game as I somehow missed the wave when the series first came out. So far I am really enjoying it and can see why so many people get addicted to the series.

I started with a Hinoarashi (Cynadaquil) in English I think and just got his final evolution. Is it a good idea to be leveling up multiple Pokémon simultaneously? So far I have been using my first guy exclusively. I have been catching other Pokémon, but I haven't been using them in battle at all.

You're going to want to build up a balanced team of Pokemon around the same level to back each other up. Typhlosion (Cyndaquil's evolution) won't win at every fight, so you gotta have buddies to back him up. The later trainers will have some very tough teams.

survivor

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
The judges will give you a dirty look, but they really can't do anything about it.

We are talking about Nintendo tourneys right?

Eteric Rice

survivor said:
The judges will give you a dirty look, but they really can't do anything about it.

We are talking about Nintendo tourneys right?

I'd make a rule where no "perfect" pokemon are allowed or something. Or you're only allowed to have so many 31 stats before you can't enter it into a tourney or something.

Cheaters ruin it for everyone. -_-

Wiseblade

Eteric Rice said:
They're not tampering with the game or using any 3rd party devices. It's more a case of knowing precisely how the game works and using that to their advantage.

It's not really necessary though. good IV in a couple key stats (especially speed) and you'll be fine.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Eteric Rice said:

Nintendo has raised a few eye brows, now that RNG is common place. Two of the major battlers at Smogon were at an event in the States last month, and their perfect RNG'ed Pokemon which made it to the finals were brought into questioned, but they allowed them to compete.

Personally, I have no problem with it, but it's too much for to do myself.

Eteric Rice

Wiseblade said:
They're not tampering with the game or using any 3rd party devices. It's more a case of knowing precisely how the game works and using that to their advantage.

It's not really necessary though. good IV in a couple key stats (especially speed) and you'll be fine.

So they do it within the game? How does this work exactly? I'm just curious.

How big of a part do IVs usually play? Whats the most important element of a Pokemon?

celebi23

ryan-ts said:
Don't cheat, exercise : (

That's exactly what I plan on doing. This will help me get back into shape :lol Going to start running on my treadmill again :D I just transferred over my special Pichu, Jirachi & Arceus. Currently have a Sentret in the PokéWalker on the Refreshing Field. :D

Jokey665

Eteric Rice said:
How big of a part do IVs usually play? Whats the most important element of a Pokemon?

Usually, I'd say EVs > Nature > IVs, but it depends on the type of pokemon. And a 31 Speed IV is usually a necessity.

survivor

Banned
Eteric Rice said:

It's done all within the game. They just use an outside program to calculate the frames and how many steps they need to take or taps on one of the apps. But it's all done without tampering with the game like using an AR.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Would someone be willing to help me transfer my event Pokemon over to SS? A little later, though, when I get that ability to do so in the game. But yeah. I need help. I only have one DS lol :(

Wiseblade

Eteric Rice said:

It's a long tedious process that involves counting frames, the DS's internal clock and the coin flip app. Basicially, the random numbers the game uses to pecide pretty much everything aren't really random and can be worked out if you know the DS's time to the second.

Like I said and Sixfourtyfive posted in the tourney thread, IV's don't make that much of a difference. I only stipulation I would make is with the speed stat. Since going first on a turn is pretty important, I'd aim to get it as high as possible. for instance between a poke with 31 Atk IVs and 18 Speed IVs and one with 20 Atk and 23 Speed IVs I'd choose the second.

OMG Aero

Here's a tip on how to gain Pokewalker steps without exercising but still have fun:
Step 1) Attach Pokewalker to dominant wrist
Step 2) Go to the hot woman/man thread in OT
Step 3) ????
Step 4) Spend watts

Top Bottom