• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Dogenzaka

Banned
Is it a better idea to keep my Cyndaquil from evolving so it learns moves faster, or should I let it evolve? Doesn't it get better stats with evolving?

survivor

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
Is it a better idea to keep my Cyndaquil from evolving so it learns moves faster, or should I let it evolve? Doesn't it get better stats with evolving?
Evolve it. The stats will improve.

Dogenzaka said:
Would someone be willing to help me transfer my event Pokemon over to SS? A little later, though, when I get that ability to do so in the game. But yeah. I need help. I only have one DS lol :(

I should be able to help.

Trainer ID: Jerec, Friend Code: 1333-9897-4395

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Dogenzaka said:

evos have stronger stats.

Magni

It doesn't matter when you let him evolve, you'll get the stats in the end. What do you want to get first? The moves? Or the stats?

edit for the new page:

MagniHarvald said:
Could any one trade me a Growlithe or Arcanine, I've got lvl 1 Seels with a 31 in HP, Atk, or Def, or Abras with a 31 in HP, SpD, or Spe to offer :lol PM =)

udivision

dragonballjoseph said:
I lost to Morty 4 times due to his Gengar.

I think I've whited out 5 times in the 10 or so year history of Pokemon. I'm having trouble comprehending losing to the same team that many times.

Dogenzaka

Banned
MagniHarvald said:
It doesn't matter when you let him evolve, you'll get the stats in the end. What do you want to get first? The moves? Or the stats?

Oh really? In that case, I'll let Cyndaquil reach lvl 19 first so he can get Flame Wheel, I suppose, and then I'll evolve him. You're sure I'll get the stats in the end?

I should be able to help.

Trainer ID: Jerec, Friend Code: 1333-9897-4395

Great. Thanks. I'll get my FC once I reach the Pokemon Center in Azalea Town.

survivor

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
Oh really? In that case, I'll let Cyndaquil reach lvl 19 first so he can get Flame Wheel, I suppose, and then I'll evolve him. You're sure I'll get the stats in the end?
The stats are basically the Effort Points which will carry over no matter what.

Hey, neat little trick for those who don't remember which natures raise and lower which stats:

Look at the Stats screen for your Pokemon (the second tab after selecting Status, I think). If you look closely, two of the names for the stats (Attack, Defense, Speed, etc.) will be highlighted. The orange one is the stat being raised, and the blue one is the lowered one.

Difficult to notice, though...may have to tilt the DS a bit.

Dogenzaka said:
Ah... depends. If a move you really like comes sooner, and you can't stand waiting a few levels to get it later, than sure, keep it a Cyndaquil. It won't matter much, until later (maybe).

A Pokemon doesn't get better by keeping it in the same evolutionary stage. Only benefit is if there is some move it only learns at that stage, or if it learns moves earlier, or in the rare case where one or more of the base stats are better (e.g. Scyther)

EzLink

Banned
Damn I'm really going through this game a lot faster than anticipated. I know 15 hours is a fair amount of time for only having the first six badges, but this will be the last game I can afford for the next several months probably. Maybe after I beat the Johto E4 I'll try to limit myself to 2 hours a day or something
yeah right

Maaaaan this game is just so fucking good! I'm off to work now though for 5 pokeless hours :( At least I have my trusty Smeargle in my pokewalker to keep my company

survivor

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Is there a way to reset EVs in this game, or no?
There are 6 berries that will reduce the effort points. I think they either reduce them by 10 or by 100.

#21 Pomeg Berry (HP)
#22 Kelpsy Berry (Atk)
#23 Qualot Berry (Def)
#24 Hondew Berry (SpA)
#25 Grepa Berry (SpD)
#26 Tamato Berry (Spe)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just picked this up an hour ago, it's bringing back so many fond memories of Silver (though I picked up HeartGold this time around).

A question: is there any way to invert the controls for lefties? The touchscreen interface seems like such a huge improvement, but I can't really make use of it.

Wiseblade

survivor said:
There are 6 berries that will reduce the effort points. I think they either reduce them by 10 or by 100.

#21 Pomeg Berry (HP)
#22 Kelpsy Berry (Atk)
#23 Qualot Berry (Def)
#24 Hondew Berry (SpA)
#25 Grepa Berry (SpD)
#26 Tamato Berry (Spe)

If the stat have over 100 EVs, the first berry will reduce it to 100. Then it's 10 EV for every berry after that. So it should take 11 berries max to clear out a stat.

Wow. The pokewalker is alot more sensitive than i thought. I was shaking it like my digimon toy from so long ago and all it needs a just a small wave motion which is great.

Salaadin

What would be a better choice for a Fire type for those who know: Growlithe/Arcanine or Magby/Magmar/Magmortar? I dont do metagame or any of that competitive stuff.

I want a good fire but my pokewalker just isnt giving me a Magby. I only run into Onix.

Wiseblade

Salaadin said:
What would be a better choice for a Fire type for those who know: Growlithe/Arcanine or Magby/Magmar/Magmortar? I dont do metagame or any of that competitive stuff.

I want a good fire but my pokewalker just isnt giving me a Magby. I only run into Onix.

Arcanine. Unless you somehow happen to run into a Magmarizer and someone to trade with.

Magni

Salaadin said:

Go for Growlithe and send me one :D

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
To the Cyndaquil trainer; evolved him, and buy him Fire Blast TM at Goldenrod for 5500$. It's the second (third if you count Eruption) Special based Fire move in the game, and Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion will basically run over everything with it. :D

Odious Tea said:
PokeGAF: Onix or Geodude?

I have a soft spot in my heart for Golem, but Steelix's Steel typing is definitely good at making it a tank. Golem has much better coverage with his attacks though, and is an all around awwwwesome looking Pokemon. Receiving Curse in HGSS is a plus too! As for Onix himself, not including Steelix, he's a total scrub and has 45 attack the same as PIDGEY. :lol

And by the way, I'm up to 9215 on my Pokewalker for the day. And this is a usual day for me; two dog walks, walking to and from the streetcar at home/work.

Firestorm

Dogenzaka said:
Do you want the moves faster or stats faster? In either case, you'll eventually get the stat boost. As long as you don't miss attacks you want by evolving too quickly/slowly, you can do what you like.

I don't even know what my team is going to look like. I'm still waiting for Play-Asia to deliver my copy of Soul Silver.

In the meantime, here's a smiley wearing a bowler hat:

C|:-\

Salaadin

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I don't even know what my team is going to look like. I'm still waiting for Play-Asia to deliver my copy of Soul Silver.

In the meantime, here's a smiley wearing a bowler hat:

C|:-\

You do know the game came out in the US right? The Wal Mart down the street from you has it =P

The best way to max out a pokemon (scizor) i know i will want as one of my elites without EVing and shit would be to to mate it and raise it correct? Does two sycthers make a beter baby scyther?

Wiseblade said:
Australia
?
Yep. At this rate, I get it a week early.

Gamer @ Heart said:
The best way to max out a pokemon (scizor) i know i will want as one of my elites without EVing and shit would be to to mate it and raise it correct? Does two sycthers make a beter baby scyther?
Breeding does generally give you better stats, but it doesn't really matter who its parents are as long as its mother was a scyther/scizor.

Decide what moves you want (check its egg move list as well as its level-up and/or TM movepool) and breed what moves you can onto it when it hatches. Also, you might want to find out which stats you'll be prioritising and breed a huge clutch of them, picking out the one with the best IVs. This is all before you even once bring it out in a battle and will help to ensure that your eventual Scizor will be its best when you do EV train it.

Remember, its IVs don't need to be perfect, just high.

Another thing you'll need to do is work out which nature you want to give your Scizor. Each nature gives a boost in one stat and a handicap in another (or is neutral), so if you're serious about min-maxing your monster, try to make sure one (preferably both) of its parents has a desirable nature and is holding an everstone.

To speed up the hatching process, have a monster with magma body or similar special ability in your team (it has the side-effect of making eggs you're carrying hatch in half the steps).

Delio

Hmm I made it up to the Elite member before the Champ. Sigh i guess i need to grind my pokes a tad more.

Team so far is
Ampharos Lv38
Typhlosion Lv37
Noctowl Lv35
Ursaring Lv38
Lairon Lv36

Only thing i am missing is a strong water type and sadly my staryu was taking forever to train. Also there really are no great grinding places in this game i never noticed that in the japanese version.

Lkr

SpinningFrog said:
I can't say that I'm a huge fan of the new Voltorb Flip game. However, I do have 1000 coins now. Half way there.
what are you trying to get?

i hate changing my router to wep everytime i want to play wifi. does nintendo still sell the usb adapters?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Gamer @ Heart said:

These are the natures, and the order you should go for them in;

(1)Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
(2)Brave (+Atk, -Speed)
(3)Impish (+Def, -SpAtk)
(4)Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk)

Scyther belongs to the Bug egg group, and just as it sounds, it can breed with almost every bug around. The trick is having a Female Scyther (females determine species, and males determine what moves are passed down). If you don't have a female one, you can use a Ditto as a replacement for the Female, disgusting as it sounds. You can use the Everstone on the Female/Ditto to pass down the nature 50% of the time.

Thus, if you breed an Adamant Scyther, but it has Swarm, but you want Technician for Scizor's Bullet Punch, you have a much better shot at hatching Adamant natured ones if the female has an Everstone.

Scizor doesn't really need to be bred for any moves. Night Slash (or Pursuit), Swords Dance and X-Scissor are learned by level up, and Bullet Punch is a move that must be 'relearned'. He learns Roost as well, which can be handy.

Although you're going to ignore EV training, these are the Pokemon that will help him raise his attack. If you find a good Machop spawning spot, stick with it for a few minutes and you'll see his numbers rise next level up! http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/attack.shtml

Good luck!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Lkr said:
Lvl 26 Croconaw
Lvl 22 Pidgeotto
Lvl 14 Togepi

3 badges

Am I doing good so far GAF Pokemon Masters?

You're going to waste a lot of experience on Togepi, but Togekiss is amazing (although you can't receive Togekiss until after you obtain the National Dex). Starter+Normal/Flying type is generally how most people roll early on.

Delio said:
Hmm I made it up to the Elite member before the Champ. Sigh i guess i need to grind my pokes a tad more.

Team so far is
Ampharos Lv38
Typhlosion Lv37
Noctowl Lv35
Ursaring Lv38
Lairon Lv36

Only thing i am missing is a strong water type and sadly my staryu was taking forever to train. Also there really are no great grinding places in this game i never noticed that in the japanese version.

So..
Gyarados from Lake of Rage didn't make the cut on the team for water type?
. Staryu/Starmie is an amazing Pokemon, but requires a hefty investment of TMs to make the most use of it. Psychic/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Surf runs through the entire game easily, but you could run Recover as well.

Jeels

EzLink said:
Damn I'm really going through this game a lot faster than anticipated. I know 15 hours is a fair amount of time for only having the first six badges,

Uhh, I'm at 15 hours and only have 3 badges.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Not if you've got something fast that has Mean Look and use a Speed Ball (I think that's what they're called).

Butterfree/Hoppip with their Sleep Powders also work well early on. Or anything faster with Taunt will completely shut it down.

EvilMario said:
Butterfree/Hoppip with their Sleep Powders also work well early on. Or anything faster with Taunt will completely shut it down.
My personal favourite is a Parasect with Spore and False Swipe. Not really that great on Abras though, since Parasect is so damn slow.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My personal favourite is a Parasect with Spore and False Swipe. Not really that great on Abras though, since Parasect is so damn slow.

And Spore takes a while to get, by the time you have a Parasect with Spore, you'll have Ultra Balls and a number of Pokemon capable of capturing Abra.

Salaadin

The Entei/Raikou/Suicine song is great. I just encountered my first one and didnt know wtf was happening when the battle music started.

Top Bottom