• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Ok is there some trick to that goddamn Voltorb coin game or is there always luck involved? I can't ever seem to win.

Also I seem to be way underleveled:

My team thus far: 2 badges, currently in Goldenrod city in front of the leader.

Quilava - 17
Flaffy - 16
Pidgey - 16
Bellsprout - 16
Furret - 15
Drowzee - 14

What level is the leader's miltank? I'm probably gonna use Thunderwave and Flash and then just hope it never hits me.

Delio

EvilMario said:
So..
Gyarados from Lake of Rage didn't make the cut on the team for water type?
. Staryu/Starmie is an amazing Pokemon, but requires a hefty investment of TMs to make the most use of it. Psychic/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Surf runs through the entire game easily, but you could run Recover as well.
Yeah i really didnt want to use That from the lake because i could see a ton of people doing so. And yeah i had every tm i needed for Staryu but it seemed to be soaking up experince like no other.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Unicorn said:
LOL

also, walked 11,000+ steps at work yesterday. Too bad a pokemon can only level up once. :lol
In terms of using the device for single-player, I was actually pleased to learn that they can only level once. I'd hate to have to worry about checking my steps and taking off the Pokewalker at some point during the day to keep a critter from leveling up too high.

Unicorn

Cocopjojo said:
In terms of using the device for single-player, I was actually pleased to learn that they can only level once. I'd hate to have to worry about checking my steps and taking off the Pokewalker at some point during the day to keep a critter from leveling up too high.
I would like a better cap, at least. Since I do work for 9 hours... 5-10 levels should be the cap. I mean, that's a lot of walking I do...

JSnake

So, I spent like an hour looking for a Timid Gastly but eventually decided to go with a Naive one I caught. Naive is pretty good, right? It's +speed and -special defense.

Jokey665

So I'm kind of bored and I've got a full pokedex on Pearl, so.....

I'll make an egg of any pokemon you want (out of pokemon that can breed, so no mewtwo or watever) and trade it to you (just for whatever junk you have lying around). If it requires an incense to get a baby instead of the second form or something, I'm just going to get the version that doesn't require a hold item unless you specifically ask for the baby and tell me which hold item is necessary.

First three people to quote me and tell me what pokemon you want get it, might do more people after that.

JSnake said:
So, I spent like an hour looking for a Timid Gastly but eventually decided to go with a Naive one I caught. Naive is pretty good, right? It's +speed and -special defense.

Yeah that is fine for ingame.

Oh jeez, I just beat Whitney in the most degrading way possible. Paralyze, Sand-Attack (x6), Leer (x6), Disable (Milk Drink), Pound.

My team is 5 dudes and 1 female, but thankfully attract didn't fuck me over.

vid

Axis said:
i'm having the worst fucking luck finding a magmar in the burned tower...is that where he is?

Yep. I found one when I was going down to let the three legendaries run free... just barely managed to catch it. Feeling lucky now, hearing how difficult it's been for you. Just keep searching, I guess?

This was in Heart Gold, mind you.

Axis

vid said:
Yep. I found one when I was going down to let the three legendaries run free... just barely managed to catch it. Feeling lucky now, hearing how difficult it's been for you. Just keep searching, I guess?

This was in Heart Gold, mind you.

yeah i'm playing gold...i've been in this thing for a fucking hour by now lol

persistence will pay off

Lkr

pokewalker only does one level? so what else is its purpose then?

and how the hell do you guys train 6 pokes so easily? grind on wilds?

Blizzard

Banned
I'm almost kind of glad some people found out how to abuse the random number generator to get really high-stat (or shiny) pokemon...since at least it's possible to do so now. Previously, presumably everyone just used action replay'd pokemon, and if you objected that not everyone had an action replay and it seems like a cheat device, they could just say "psh, it's possible in the game so it's not like we're cheating 999 stats, d00d". :|

Blizzard said:
I'm almost kind of glad some people found out how to abuse the random number generator to get really high-stat (or shiny) pokemon...since at least it's possible to do so now. Previously, presumably everyone just used action replay'd pokemon, and if you objected that not everyone had an action replay and it seems like a cheat device, they could just say "psh, it's possible in the game so it's not like we're cheating 999 stats, d00d". :|

I don't know what generator you're talking about my brother could use a certain poketch app that I'm not sure of in diamond to get a better chance of a shiny pokemon.

kzn

Neo Member
Lkr said:
pokewalker only does one level? so what else is its purpose then?

In the first half of the game there's a fair amount of grinding, especially if your team is large, but later on there are so many trainers that you dont really fall behind in levels till the Elite 4 (iirc).

Someone please give me vague pointers on a team that I can make that will be good for the initial game - I've been trying to go through with a vaguely comp-like team but its pretty annoying having only 2-3 pokemon until really late, your coverage is awful.

I regret not buying a guide now ;(

Loam

I hate to ask this but is anyone else having trouble with the ruins of alph puzzles? I mean, I feel so stupid asking this but after 20+ mins of tile moving I for the life of me cannot get the Ho Ho one to work. Which makes me feel even worse knowing I did it no sweat 10+ years ago.

Nayishiki

Jokey665 said:

First three people to quote me and tell me what pokemon you want get it, might do more people after that.

Could i get a Bulbasaur if possible?
My Soul SIlver FC is 3653 2713 6337

Jokey665

Zod the Bear said:
I could use a Feebas, if you don't mind.

Trainer ID: Jerec, Friend Code: 1333-9897-439

I think you're missing a digit on your FC

Jokey 5026-1324-9405

Heading online once I get the fixed code.

Nayishiki said:
Could i get a Bulbasaur if possible?
My Soul SIlver FC is 3653 2713 6337
I'll start on it once I get Zod his Feebas egg.

Lkr said:

I really only do trainer battles, and I'm not that far behind the gyms in terms of levels.

edit: This Voltorb game is so annoying!

Loam

Lkr said:
do the ruins of alph puzzles do anything anyway?

Each one you complete unlocks another set of Unknowns.

Ugh, I swear this image is set up correctly. I think the game is purposefully testing my sanity.

Hex

Banned
Jokey665 said:

I'll make an egg of any pokemon you want (out of pokemon that can breed, so no mewtwo or watever) and trade it to you (just for whatever junk you have lying around). If it requires an incense to get a baby instead of the second form or something, I'm just going to get the version that doesn't require a hold item unless you specifically ask for the baby and tell me which hold item is necessary.

I will try the lotto for an eevee and hope that it is a female if you have not had three responses yet

EDIT: Actually if chances of a female are too low can you do Phione?

EDIT2 : Ah very cool :D

Jokey665

Fumetsu said:
I will try the lotto for an eevee and hope that it is a female if you have not had three responses yet
Got it. One Eevee coming up right after Bulbasaur.

And that's 3.

Zod, I'm online right now.

WEGGLES

I know the rom is bad for it... but my legit copy is freezing a bunch.

I lost a good 4 hours (I'm terrible for saving :[)

Anyone else having their screens go black and being forced to restart?

El Sloth

Banned
Just found out I may not be getting my copy of Superior Silver™ 'till the 20th or 21st. :( And you bastards aren't making this any easier! *shakes fist*

Obsessed said:
Also I seem to be way underleveled:

My team thus far: 2 badges, currently in Goldenrod city in front of the leader.

Quilava - 17
Flaffy - 16
Pidgey - 16
Bellsprout - 16
Furret - 15
Drowzee - 14

What level is the leader's miltank? I'm probably gonna use Thunderwave and Flash and then just hope it never hits me.
Um... prepare to die.

Echoes

Jokey665 said:

I know you only said three. I don't want this reply to be like "well I should give him one as well". Not at all. BUT, if, later on, you decided to do it again, I'd be glad if you can make me a Gible or Bulbasaur (in that order). Thanks a bunch.

Top Bottom