• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Firestorm said:
Before I start:
- how soon can I trade with Pearl Version?

Need to transfer a Charmander egg so it follows me.

Almost immediately, I believe. After you receive your Pokedex anyways. I'm not sure if you can when you first enter town, but you might.

Jokey665

Echoes said:
I know you only said three. I don't want this reply to be like "well I should give him one as well". Not at all. BUT, if, later on, you decided to do it again, I'd be glad if you can make me a Gible or Bulbasaur (in that order). Thanks a bunch.
Post your FC and come online with two trash pokemon, I'll be there as soon as I get your FC. I hate being such a nice guy. :lol
5026-1324-9405

Ok, for serious, no more today, Echoes is the last one! I might do more later in the week if I get bored again.

bon

moop2000 said:
The thing is I got it but it's not in my bag so I don;t know where it went.
The badge only allows you to use it. To get the actual HM, talk to some guy outside of town (try the left exit I think).

Echoes

Jokey665 said:
Post your FC and come online with two trash pokemon, I'll be there as soon as I get your FC. I hate being such a nice guy. :lol
5026-1324-9405

Ok, for serious, no more today, Echoes is the last one! I might do more later in the week if I get bored again.
......seriously? You seriously rock, man. I owe you two.

Here's my FC, I'm going there now

Can someone link me to an easy to understand crash course on breeding? I want to make sure my future scizor is the best that it can be without diving into serious IV stuff.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wow, I just noticed this after beating the Japanese version twice!

When you look at your Pokemon's Statistics, the one the nature benefits will be slightly highlighted in Red, and the hindering stat will be in Blue.

This should be very handy for you guys who don't know natures by heart, but also for us who easily forget the odd ones!

Gamer @ Heart said:
Can someone link me to an easy to understand crash course on breeding? I want to make sure my future scizor is the best that it can be without diving into serious IV stuff.

Bulbapedia's is one of the most basic, but look at Smogon's for a more in-depth guide (and ignore the IV parts).

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_breeding

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/breeding_guide_part2

Basic Concept: Female Pokemon passes down the species and nature, and the Male Pokemon passes down moves. Either Male, or Female Pokemon may be replaced by Ditto.

Nature: To pass down the Nature of the Mother, or Ditto, that Pokemon must be holding the Everstone (if it's a Female + Ditto combo, Ditto must hold it). Thus the holder will have a 50% chance to pass down the nature.

IVs: Parents also have a chance to pass down IVs to their children, and the children will have some random IVs as well. If you manage to breed a Scyther with a perfect Attack stat, you can use it as a parent, and continue breeding until you pick up another perfect IV with the perfect Attack. You may only want to focus on a few 'high-perfect' IVs, like Attack / HP for Scizor.

IVs can be calculated. Most easily at level 50, or above.. but at level 20, or even level 5, you can have an idea.

http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml

Egg Groups: Pokemon are bound to their Egg groups. Not all Pokemon can breed with one another. Keep this in mind when trying to find a parent, or to pass down a move. Reference the Serebii Pokedex for the Egg Group near the bottom of every page; http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/

Hatching: You'll want a Pokemon with Magma Armor/Flame Body if you plan on doing some serious Egg hatching. It cuts the time of hatching in half. Check Pokemon has a certain amount of steps that must be taken to hatch it, most easily done on the bicycle via a long straight path (this game's Goldenrod just above the breeding centre is great for it).

Effort Value: Pokemon have 510 EVs to distribute as you see fit. For every 4 Effort Value, your Pokemon will gain a point in that stat. Each stat can have a maximum of 252 Points given toward it, or 63 point gain in that stat. Every Pokemon defeated awards an amount of Effort Values, see the Serebii Pokedex for reference. There are a number of items to increase EVs gained, including the Macho Brace (which doubles it) and the Power items (which let you collect regular EVs and add +4 to a specific stat). Power items are bought from the Frontier with Points, and Macho Brace is given to you in most games.

To make life easier, Pokemon can have 100 EVs given to any stat by pumping them up with 'Vitamins' found at the Department Store in Goldenrod. Each one of these items (Protein, Calcium, etc) give 10 EVs to a specific stat.

This was a pretty basic overview, I hope this help. Scizor should be a fairly easy one to breed, as I don't think you'll want any of his Egg Moves, unless you're hell bent on Superpower, or Baton Pass.

I hope you have fun in the new smexy world of Pokemon breeding! :D

Gamer @ Heart said:

How advanced are we talking here? Simple male + female Pokemon in daycare? Egg moves? Passing TM moves? Passing IVs?

Teknoman

EvilMario said:
Wow, I just noticed this after beating the Japanese version twice!

When you look at your Pokemon's Statistics, the one the nature benefits will be slightly highlighted in Red, and the hindering stat will be in Blue.

This should be very handy for you guys who don't know natures by heart, but also for us who easily forget the odd ones!

Chalk another one up for HG/SS.

ryan-ts

This shit would be so easy with a water stone, my Staryu knows blizzard and is kicking Blackthorn gym's ass, having a Starmie would be dirty.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just got home from work tonight, from the time I turned my Pokewalker on at about 3PM till now, I have walked 9511 steps. The thing is far more addecting then it should be with whats on it.

Also, I am up for battle for the sake of it in a little bit, once I finish up Sprout Tower.

Mr.City

ryan-ts said:
This shit would be so easy with a water stone, my Staryu knows blizzard and is kicking Blackthorn gym's ass, having a Starmie would be dirty.

Careful. Starmie doesn't learn any more moves after you evolve it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ryan-ts said:

Yeah, I have my Timid Starmie I traded over from Platinum (originally a level 1 Staryu). It was a breeding reject, mostly because of its Ability and Subpar IVs. It's so dirty to be able to hit almost everything for Super Effective damage. :lol

Little Green Yoda said:
How advanced are we talking here? Simple male + female Pokemon in daycare? Egg moves? Passing TM moves? Passing IVs?

Male + female and egg move stuff mostly. I dont plan to make multiple generations of them.

Maybe you can answer something quick: Are the results of using a ditto instead of the opposite partner identical or is there an advantage of using a male and female?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Gamer @ Heart said:
Male + female and egg move stuff mostly. I dont plan to make multiple generations of them.

Maybe you can answer something quick: Are the results of using a ditto instead of the opposite partner identical or is there an advantage of using a male and female?

See my post above.. I tried to outline it a bit. The advantage of using a Ditto is mostly because a) People collect Dittos with various natures and IVs to pass down, and b) Some Pokemon can't be female, or have a low rate of producing female (see the starters).

Otherwise there is no advantage one way, or another.

EvilMario said:
See my post above.. I tried to outline it a bit. The advantage of using a Ditto is mostly because a) People collect Dittos with various natures and IVs to pass down, and b) Some Pokemon can't be female, or have a low rate of producing female (see the starters).

Otherwise there is no advantage one way, or another.

How the hell did i miss that post? Thanks man.

Obsessed said:
You should have read further. I won via Static (Flaffy), Sand Attack (Pidgey), Leer (Quilava), Disable (Drowzee), and Quick Attack (Quilava).

Teamwork saved the day.
Well, I certainly commend your efforts

power-leveling a machop would have worked better, just saying

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Aaron Strife said:
Well, I certainly commend your efforts

power-leveling a machop would have worked better, just saying

He had Quilava, which can 2HKO Miltank with Fire Blast (bought next door to the gym) around level 18-20 depending on training and nature.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, Wifi unlocked, and I want to battle! My friend code is:

4125 7200 3356

Hey, thats almost easy enough to remember off hand :lol

I love how its hard to trick the pokewalker, neat tech to realize when I am shaking it I am not walking.

Loam

So whats the general consensus on a good HM slave? I read a few pages back someone took the time to train smeargles with all the HMs, but is there any good poke that I can just slap my HMs on from the get go and be done with it?

Ratatta can work for Rock Smash and Cut in the beginning, and then Strength when you evolve it, which is all I'm doing now 'til I can get a bidoof traded over or something.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wren said:
So whats the general consensus on a good HM slave? I read a few pages back someone took the time to train smeargles with all the HMs, but is there any good poke that I can just slap my HMs on from the get go and be done with it?

It's been posted a lot, but with search disabled..

Furret learns Cut, Surf, Strength, Whirlpool, Rock Smash and Headbutt.

Golduck learns Surf, Strength, Whirlpool, Rock Smash Waterfall, Rock Climb

Thus you give Fly to your flying type Pokemon.

If you want your HM slaves to be decent attackers, Tauros (Surf, Strength, Whirlpool, Rock Climb, etc) is a decent one receiving STAB on the Normal HMs, and Skarmory can (Cut, Rock Smash, Fly) be a decent. Thus you'd need to give Waterfall to something else.

outsidah said:
Ok so I'm a poke-virgin. Do I get Gold or Silver? Both? Why?

Help!
Look up which game gets which exclusives. Pick the game that has the exclusives you like the look of better. Don't worry if the ones you picked turned out to be crappy - you can trade for the rest online.

The only differences between the games is the rarity of some pokemon species. In-game, there may be a field with grass in it. In HG, it might yield encounter rates of:

50% for Pokemon A
30% for Pokemon B
15% for Pokemon C
5% for Pokemon D
0% for Pokemon E

SS, on the other hand, would have:

50% for Pokemon A
15% for Pokemon B
30% for Pokemon C
0% for Pokemon D
5% for Pokemon E

In this scenario, Pokemon A is very common in both versions. B is fairly common in HG but uncommon in SS. C is uncommon in HG, but common in SS. D is rare in HG, but not found at all in SS. E is not found in HG, but rare in SS.

That's it.

Don't get both.

isny

napkin dispenser
Just got the Mineral badge. It took me forever though...

Only ended up winning because I trekked over and got the red Gyrados.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
outsidah said:
Ok so I'm a poke-virgin. Do I get Gold or Silver? Both? Why?

Help!

Pickup either Gold, or Silver and play it to death.

When you want another go at it, pick up Platinum. That will basically let you receive every Pokemon with a few exception that can be made by trading.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
EvilMario said:
It's been posted a lot, but with search disabled..

Furret learns Cut, Surf, Strength, Whirlpool, Rock Smash and Headbutt.

Golduck learns Surf, Strength, Whirlpool, Rock Smash Waterfall, Rock Climb

Thus you give Fly to your flying type Pokemon.

If you want your HM slaves to be decent attackers, Tauros (Surf, Strength, Whirlpool, Rock Climb, etc) is a decent one receiving STAB on the Normal HMs, and Skarmory can (Cut, Rock Smash, Fly) be a decent. Thus you'd need to give Waterfall to something else.
What does STAB stand for, I keep seeing you use it.

outsidah

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Look up which game gets which exclusives. Pick the game that has the exclusives you like the look of better. Don't worry if the ones you picked turned out to be crappy - you can trade for the rest online.

The only differences between the games is the rarity of some pokemon species. In-game, there may be a field with grass in it. In HG, it might yield encounter rates of:

50% for Pokemon A
30% for Pokemon B
15% for Pokemon C
5% for Pokemon D
0% for Pokemon E

SS, on the other hand, would have:

50% for Pokemon A
15% for Pokemon B
30% for Pokemon C
0% for Pokemon D
5% for Pokemon E

In this scenario, Pokemon A is very common in both versions. B is fairly common in HG but uncommon in SS. C is uncommon in HG, but common in SS. D is rare in HG, but not found at all in SS. E is not found in HG, but rare in SS.

That's it.

Don't get both.

Very, very informative. Thanks for the info.

EvilMario said:
Pickup either Gold, or Silver and play it to death.

When you want another go at it, pick up Platinum. That will basically let you receive every Pokemon with a few exception that can be made by trading.

Thank you both. I'll check them out tomorrow!

Drkirby said:
Same Type Attack Boost.

A water type using a Water offensive move gets a base power bonus of 20 (I think) on that move over and above its normal base power. Thus, a water monster that uses Surf (base power 95) actually gets a 115 base attach in.

At least I think the boost is 20.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Drkirby said:

Same Type Attack Bonus, or STAB. It gives the Pokemon using a move of the same type a 1.5 multiplier to that move.

ie; Starmie is Water and Psychic. When it uses Confusion (a Psychic type move) it effectively goes from 50 base power to 75 base power. When it uses Surf, it goes from 95 to 142. Dragonite uses Surf though, it only hits from the 95 base power of the move.

The STAB bonus does not work on things like Recovery moves, or set damage moves (Dragon Rage, Sonic Boom)

Ondore

ryan-ts said:
but they're not available until you get the national pokedex outside of the Moon Stone.

Just the newer ones are (the Shiny, Dusk and Dawn) unless my eyes deceived me and the Fire Stone wasn't there when I went looking earlier...

Diffense

I caught a geodude and wasn't going to bother catching an onix.
Then I ran into a shiny one in Union cave and couldn't let it go

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
Diffense said:
I caught a geodude and wasn't going to bother catching an onix.
Then I ran into a shiny one in Union cave and couldn't let it go

As in you caught it right? Please let "couldn't let it go" mean "I caught it and am now destroying things with my shiny graveler". I've never caught a shiny other than the red gyarados. :(

Gravijah

Alright, back to Pokework soon... I'm trying to figure out who I should add to my team next. It's currently Quilava, Pidgey, and Mareep. I'm thinking of adding Gastly to my team... But I know I'll be needing a Water Pokemon soon. Any ideas?

Diffense

rainer516 said:
As in you caught it right? Please let "couldn't let it go" mean "I caught it and am now destroying things with my shiny graveler". I've never caught a shiny other than the red gyarados. :(

Yeah, I caught the shiny onix :)
It's sitting in box 1 and I'm still using the ordinary geodude.

I've actually run into a few random shinies over my time of playing the Pokemon games.
I caught a shiny Electrike in Sapphire and found a shiny Bidoof early in Platinum.

In Pearl, I attempted 'chaining' with Pokeradar and caught two shiny Bagon in the process.
I beleive that method really does increase your chance of catching shinies.
When the special sparkly grass appears you're guaranteed to find a shiny in the patch.

Still, for the number of Pokemon I've run into and bred, 5 shinies is a small number.
Don't feel too bad to have never caught one, the odds pretty much suck unless you're chaining for them.

Top Bottom