• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Axis said:
How do I calculate my IV's using the calculator? I have no idea what effort points are =/
If you haven't used this Pokemon in any battles yet, then all of its EVs are zero. If you have used it in battle and haven't been keeping track of the EVs you've earned (they are invisible and cannot be discerned without manually counting them as you play), then you need to use the EV-reducing berries to lower them back down to zero.

Kletian

Man they need to give me more trainers to grind. My team right now is 16 Magby, 16 Totodile, 13 Mareep, 15 Pidgey, 9 Ledyba, and 11 Kangaskhan and Bugby is kicking my ass.

I'm tired of leveling on level 6 Oddishes!

Axis

Sixfortyfive said:
If you haven't used this Pokemon in any battles yet, then all of its EVs are zero. If you have used it in battle and haven't been keeping track of the EVs you've earned (they are invisible and cannot be discerned without manually counting them as you play), then you need to use the EV-reducing berries to lower them back down to zero.

ok so what exactly should i be keeping track of? if you don't mind breaking it down for me

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ben2749 said:
That's definitely true; Staraptor walks all over Pidgeot in terms of stats. He also has a much better ability too.

Though I always preferred Fearow over Pidgeot. Faster, and a higher attack. He was more frail, but I didn't mind the tradeoff.

Staraptor is still leagues better than both of them, however.

The real King of Normal/Flying types is..

468_togekiss_1_m.png

Bulkier than Noctowl, and hits as hard as Staraptor thanks to its monstrous Special Attack and Nasty Plot, and it receives one of the most annoying abilities in the game.. and the moves to abuse it.

Air Slashing a Paralyzed Pokemon, while you Roost off damage and proceed to Nasty Plot in their face thanks to your bulk is just dirty. :D

Although technically, he's not your generic 'starter' Normal/Flying

Chorazin

Ok, so I'm not that far into the game yet, but the Pokewalker is confusing me. Can it only be used at the screen where you load your save game? Or can you eventually use it from a Pokecenter too?

I have a Gastly chilling in mine right now, I <3 me some Ghost Pokes!

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Having a blast with this game. The poke walker is so cool looking in a nerdy way. Got my Vulpix, Ekans, Bayleaf, Zubat, Drowzee and flaaffy mowing down trainers left and right. Just took down my third gym, and ready for some evo's soon.

Dex at 60/26 but money is scarce when you let your mom go shopping :x

EvilMario said:
The real King of Normal/Flying types is..

468_togekiss_1_m.png

Bulkier than Noctowl, and hits as hard as Staraptor thanks to its monstrous Special Attack and Nasty Plot, and it receives one of the most annoying abilities in the game.. and the moves to abuse it.

Air Slashing a Paralyzed Pokemon, while you Roost off damage and proceed to Nasty Plot in their face thanks to your bulk is just dirty. :D

Although technically, he's not your generic 'starter' Normal/Flying

He's not really comparable, as he serves a completely different purpose. Instead of going for Physical damage as fast as possible, Togekiss goes for Special damage, and requires some setting up first. Also, in order to make that tactic work, you only have one damage-dealing move, which really throws things off if you come across something that cannot be paralysed or resists Flying.

Togekiss is still great, especially if you give him a good item (off the top of my head, I think Leftovers is a good choice, or maybe something that raises evasion), but he's ver situational.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Ben2749 said:
He's not really comparable, as he serves a completely different purpose. Instead of going for Physical damage as fast as possible, Togekiss goes for Special damage, and requires some setting up first. Also, in order to make that tactic work, you only have one damage-dealing move, which really throws things off if you come across something that cannot be paralysed or resists Flying.

Togekiss is still great, especially if you give him a good item (off the top of my head, I think Leftovers is a good choice, or maybe something that raises evasion), but he's ver situational.
Togekiss > staraptor in competitive play.

He has more versatility and can be way more destructive with/without the nasty plot set.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is it possible to share records and be a part of the same group over Wifi now? I think it was only possible to do it locally in Diamond and Pearl.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Lyphen said:
A question: is there any way to invert the controls for lefties? The touchscreen interface seems like such a huge improvement, but I can't really make use of it.
Anyone? :( Kinda silly, but I'm desperate for some magical code to change it.

Sixfortyfive

Not that I know of. I almost never use the touchscreen if there is an equivalent button command. I am also a lefty.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Lyphen said:
Anyone? :( Kinda silly, but I'm desperate for some magical code to change it.

AFAIK, no. Nintendo hates us Lefties. :(

EDIT: I also want to play this game, but no Gamestops have a copy of it in for 100 miles. :( Guess that's a good sign for sales, but damn it. :lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ben2749 said:

Mono-Attacking with Nasty Plot and Air Slash is actually very impressive. At +6, things like Heatran have no chance against you, because you still 3HKO them while you Roost off damage when they do break the ParaFlinch combo. Jolteon and Electivire are Pokemon in OU that really gives the set trouble, and you can opt for Body Slam's 60% para-rate over Thunder-Wave if you're concerned. Or you could just back your Togekiss up with Tyranitar and Pursuit Jolteon into oblivion. Or a Dugtrio to trap both (watch out for HP Ice). Let's look at the other Pokemon that are immune to Thunder-Wave in OU, Gliscor, Swampert, and Mamoswine. Gliscor and Swampert can't stomach Air Slash at all, and Togekiss only fears what is a rare Stone Edge from offensive Gliscor, because it will never be 2HKO by Swamperts Ice attacks, and can Roost off the damage.

Mamoswine is a pain in the butt for Togekiss, with its very strong STAB Ice Shard. It can't come close to 1HKOing Togekiss though, rolling 54.5% - 64.7% with Jolly Choice Band and 59.9% - 71.1% with Adamant. Togekiss does 39.9% - 46.8% with an unboosted Air Slash, and 78.9% - 93.31% with a +2 Air Slash. Most Mamoswine will have second thoughts about switching into Togekiss as well, thanks to a majority of sets running Aura Sphere, and some Flamethrower.

Togekiss doesn't have to run the set I posted, and it's more likely he'll run a straight ParaFlincher, or Plot set (with two attacks), or Scarf, or Specs, or a more utility role as a Special Wall. Togekiss' movepool is enormous, thanks to being part Normal type.

He doesn't have to setup to be effective, with 120 base special attack, which is higher than the likes of Raikou, Empoleon, Jolteon, and a number of Special sweepers that would do back flips for an instant recovery move and the bulk of Togekiss.

Just saying'.

Staraptor is a great Pokemon, and very under utilized in OU, but the base 100 speed spot is a crowded group, and it really needs all the Attack power it can get to justify its use. Because when people are looking to pick a SR weak Pokemon, they're picking the strongest like Salamence, Gyarados, or Togekiss.

Sixfortyfive

All I said was "Staraptor is the best early-game Normal/Flying," and you motherfucks have to start showing off by telling me stuff I already knew anyway!

Gravijah

TheSeks said:
AFAIK, no. Nintendo hates us Lefties. :(

EDIT: I also want to play this game, but no Gamestops have a copy of it in for 100 miles. :( Guess that's a good sign for sales, but damn it. :lol

My local Wal Mart had about 20 of each sitting out after a full day of sales... I can't wait to see the NPD.

Sixfortyfive said:
All I said was "Staraptor is the best early-game Normal/Flying," and you motherfucks have to start showing off by telling me stuff I already knew anyway!

Technically you get Togepi pretty early. ;)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Sixfortyfive said:

Haha, I'm just toying with you! I already admitted he didn't fit your criteria. :lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
FootNinja said:
Anyone else get wrecked by ponyta in the pokewalker? that guy knows exactly when to evade and when not to :\

I've had good luck so far. The only 'rare' Pokemon I've caught though is Kangaskhan. I always Attack first, the Evade second turn, and usually attack the last turn if they have two health by that point.

I accidentally criticaled a Slowpoke this morning, when he had two bars left and he fled. I'll see where I am at wattage during lunch, and try to capture a couple more.

Salaadin

My goal for the day is to catch an Elekid on the PokeWalker. I want him to be my electric type. Only 2500 more steps to go before he starts appearing.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Just got to Ecruteak and this games music is the best I can remember in a pokemon game.
Also when you enter an area, the little pieces of intro-art are great.

Gravijah

Wow Voltorb Flip is... not fun. :/

Edit: Got to level 3 and I'm getting the hang of it at least.
Edit2: And I quit out without even trying level 3... Crap.

I can't see myself doing voltorb flip enough to get a TM, does anyone know if the Celadon game corner has a different game?

I did manage to make it to level 4 before failing twice and getting knocked back down to one.

Sixfortyfive

At first I was pissed that they seem to have brought back Geodude encounters for breaking rocks with Rock Smash (thus making HMs even slightly more tedious than they already are), but getting shards and fossils out of them isn't half-bad.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Just ran into Raikou , he out leveled my entire team by 6,so I couldn't really do anything to him. He eventually ran away after he destroyed half of my team. Will I be able to catch him again?

Gravijah

Door2Dawn said:
Just ran into Raikou , he out leveled my entire team by 6,so I couldn't really do anything to him. He eventually ran away after he destroyed half of my team. Will I be able to catch him again?

Yep.

Salaadin

Door2Dawn said:

If its like the originals, you can now track him with the Pokedex and try to hunt him down. Mean Look and some type of Sleep move is how I caught them back in the day. I think Misdreavus was my go to guy.

funkmastergeneral said:
how do i unlock more pokewalker courses? I've been shaking this thing for like an hour...
You unlock them by getting a certain amount of Watts sent back to the game (Watts spent on Pokeradar and Dowsing don't count.) It'll tell you how many you need on the DS game when you send everything back.

Inferno313 said:
You unlock them by getting a certain amount of Watts sent back to the game (Watts spent on Pokeradar and Dowsing don't count.) It'll tell you how many you need on the DS game when you send everything back.

lolwut. I just came back from a walk with 4000 steps and only got 149 watts. By the time I open a 1000watt map I'll be waaaaaay passed using level 13 pokemon. Doesn't seem too useful.

Sixfortyfive

Holy shit, can you really not scroll through PC boxes while holding a Pokemon anymore? If not, I don't even know if I'm ever going to bother trading over all my stuff from Platinum. Sorting it all was tedious enough already.

upandaway

Sixfortyfive said:
Holy shit, can you really not scroll through PC boxes while holding a Pokemon anymore? If not, I don't even know if I'm ever going to bother trading over all my stuff from Platinum. Sorting it all was tedious enough already.
Please tell me you figured it out seconds after posting

Sixfortyfive

Didn't mess around with it that much and just left.

I also didn't notice a way to change to the yellow glove for easy pickup/switch/place (was either X or Y on DPPt).

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
you go to move pokemon, then select a poke and go to "move" from there you can press the arrows next to the box headers up top to choose which box you want to put them in. You just drag the pokemon to the header.

Sixfortyfive

FootNinja said:
you go to move pokemon, then select a poke and go to "move" from there you can press the arrows next to the box headers up top to choose which box you want to put them in. You just drag the pokemon to the header.
Yeah, but unless I'm retarded (possible), you can't hold onto the Pokemon while you're doing this. It just drops it in the first blank space in the new box.

Eteric Rice

At this point I don't know why they don't just make the entire PC drag and drop.

Anyway, Miltank any good? I was thinking of getting one. >_>

Drowsee too.

Top Bottom