• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Zilch

Banned
Oh my god, the little story told after your pokemon returns from its "stroll" is so fucking adorable and cute. ^_____^

Gravijah

Oooh, Wooper... Water/ground just like my beloved Swampert. I could drop Pidgey and add him in.

Edit: But then I lose Fly. Ugh planning around HMs is a pain!

Edit2: Oooh, Slowpoke... maybe that would be a good choice.

rainer516 said:
As in you caught it right? Please let "couldn't let it go" mean "I caught it and am now destroying things with my shiny graveler". I've never caught a shiny other than the red gyarados. :(
I caught a shiny Caterpie once on Leaf Green. Also, during my Emerald playthrough, I came across a shiny Poochyena during the introduction sequence of the game just before I could obtain any pokeballs.

;_;

upandaway

Diffense said:
Still, for the number of Pokemon I've run into and bred, 5 shinies is a small number.
Oh come on. Never saw a shiny in my life and I played the games tens of times. 5 shinies is never a small number.

By the way, I'd flip out if I ever saw a shiny Zubat or a shiny Eevee. Zubat because of pink Crobat and Eevee because it looks awesome.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I've played hella ton of pokemon and the only shiny I've ever run into was a Hoothoot. ALMOST ran away from it, except I thought that it looked a little different. Caught it just to be safe. Boy, am I glad I caught it.

Butane123

isny said:
They're only from headbutting trees in mountain areas. I don't think any of us are fare enough to get to a mountainous area yet, lol
Kinda old to quote but I actually just found a level 4 Heracross through headbutting right outside of Union Cave. Not too far in the game, really.

Gravijah

viciouskillersquirrel said:
So it's not true then. Figures. It was one of the things I read about back in the day when I was HYPING the original release of G/S (the one I never played).

GSC

Pokemon 2000

Pokemon Neo cards (including the big ass Lugia card)

Ahhh the memories...

Big-ass Ramp

on the pokewalker, if you get a pokemon down to one health bar, is it a 100% catch?

Also, when are you able to trade over wifi?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Big Ass Ramp said:
on the pokewalker, if you get a pokemon down to one health bar, is it a 100% catch?

Also, when are you able to trade over wifi?
You can trade over Wifi after the first Gym with friends, I think its the 4th for GTS.

Gravijah

Delio said:
Well i defeated the Elite 4 tonight. After some hardcore training to get my pokemon to lv 40. Aggron being MVP <3

So far behind. Still haven't gotten to Union Cave... :lol

Edit: Mild natured Gastly... She's gonna take a hurting from physical attacks.

Chozo

I really wish Gamefreak would get rid of the "catch this legendary before you can continue!" parts of the game: it's like they're purposely out to kill us poor, OCD IV whores.

That said...

Lugia - #249 (Timid)
HP: 31
Att: 29 - 31
Def: 29 - 31
SpA: 23 - 24
SpD: 15 - 16
Speed: 25 - 26

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Chozo said:
I really wish Gamefreak would get rid of the "catch this legendary before you can continue!" parts of the game: it's like they're purposely out to kill us poor, OCD IV whores.
Actually, in Platinum and HGSS, you can re-encounter most (all?) legendaries if you KO or run from them in the first encounter, and the next encounter will give you an entirely different nature/IV spread.

Gravijah

Unsure if this is just me but... I don't seem to hearing the sounds from the Pokemon I'm fighting against. I tried setting the sound to Mono and it's still the same. Like, their cries, when I attack them, etc.

Edit: Nope, I didn't actually set it to Mono. But setting it to Mono fixed it.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Zilch said:
Oh my god, the little story told after your pokemon returns from its "stroll" is so fucking adorable and cute. ^_____^

I KNOW. The entire companionship thing with Pokemon is adorable in general, now.

When my Pokemon follow behind me, it's hilarious to see otherwise fearsome creatures like Onyx and Quilava dance, run up and hug you, sniff at the ground, smile, etc. when you talk to them.

Gravijah said:
So far behind. Still haven't gotten to Union Cave... :lol

Edit: Mild natured Gastly... She's gonna take a hurting from physical attacks.
I'm trying not to care too much about natures, so whenever I get one of the natures that don't change the stats, I'm like 'phew ok'. But if I get a bad nature I can't help it and just want to get another pokemon.

I think it was Evilmario that said that it's hard to go down on all this crap once you know about it. There's some OCD about, you know you can get a better pokemon, and for some reason you just need the best one!

Gravijah

Metroid Killer said:
I'm trying not to care too much about natures, so whenever I get one of the natures that don't change the stats, I'm like 'phew ok'. But if I get a bad nature I can't help it and just want to get another pokemon.

I think it was Evilmario that said that it's hard to go down on all this crap once you know about it. There's some OCD about, you know you can get a better pokemon, and for some reason you just need the best one!

Yeah, I'm trying to play with what I get myself, too. Thinking about trying to get perfect natures and IVs while playing, and then ruining the EVs used to always bother me (though I'm not a competitive player, I'm quite aware of everything.) so I'd always just powerhouse through to "enjoy" the game my way. But I'm having a ton of fun playing like this, and I regret not going through with it sooner.

Sixfortyfive

Natures, IVs, and EVs don't even matter in the main quest anyway. They're more trouble than they're worth. A few extra levels can always make up the difference.

Big-ass Ramp

An NPC wanted to trade me an Onix for my Bellsprout. So, I went out and caught a bellsprout and promptly named him "SHITFUCK" and traded with that NPC. Immature? Yes. Satisfying? Also, yes.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Metroid Killer said:

but if you love the Pokémon, you'll accept his or her flaws. =)

Sixfortyfive

Linking the tournament/battling thread again. I'm probably going to keep plugging this every few pages because I keep seeing questions in here that are answered in that thread.

Wiseblade said:
[RNG abuse] is a long tedious process that involves counting frames, the DS's internal clock and the coin flip app. Basicially, the random numbers the game uses to pecide pretty much everything aren't really random and can be worked out if you know the DS's time to the second.
Actually, once you get used to it (and it does take a while to get used to it), it takes less time to find and catch a perfect Pokemon in the wild than it would take to breed a halfway-decent Pokemon the normal way. I almost never breed anymore unless I need egg moves.

Dogenzaka said:
I KNOW. The entire companionship thing with Pokemon is adorable in general, now.

When my Pokemon follow behind me, it's hilarious to see otherwise fearsome creatures like Onyx and Quilava dance, run up and hug you, sniff at the ground, smile, etc. when you talk to them.
I'm surprised that I'm enjoying this aspect of the game as much as I am. Way more detailed and varied than what it was like in Yellow version.

Metroid Killer said:

neutral natures that don't change any stats are bad too

Diffense

After the game I do breed for natures IVs.
When playing the main quest I usually don't care except for Pokemon I can't breed or catch again.

If you want to catch something with a certain nature, a Pokemon with Synchronize ability (eg Abra, Natu) is your friend.
Half of the Pokemon you encounter will have the same nature as the synchronize Pokemon if it is first in your party.

Dogenzaka

Banned
I would be so grossed out if Deoxys gave me a hug. Like Misty-Caterpie style. He and his slimy alien DNA space tentacles....blegh.

Eww imagine Muk or Grimer giving you a hug. Haha I remember that from the anime.

Gravijah

Dogenzaka said:
I would be so grossed out if Deoxys gave me a hug. Like Misty-Caterpie style. He and his slimy alien DNA space tentacles....blegh.

Eww imagine Muk or Grimer giving you a hug. Haha I remember that from the anime.

My Gastly poked my feet. :lol

Dogenzaka

Banned
The only thing I wish they kinda retained from Pokemon Yellow is your starter Pokemon's attitude. In fact, maybe all freshly caught Pokemon.

He loves you from the beginning!

In Yellow, I had to drag that stupid Pikachu with me all the way to Pewter City before he started liking me. I liked that badass 'tude he had.

The Pokemon in HG/SS are all like "OH HI Mr. Trainer. You totally ripped me out of my habitat and away from my family and friends, and I'm now your slave until you shove me inside a computer or trade me to some other ungrateful brat. But I'm super happy to meet you, I love you, and I'm totally ready to follow you around as you walk around the country by foot. :D"

Dogenzaka

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
Well it depends on their happiness really. I had a zubat that fainted one too many and he was in a pretty bad mood.

Well yeah, but from the moment you caught him, he was pretty pleasant, wasn't he?
And they get over a bad mood pretty quickly.

Pikachu in Yellow, though. Man. He was a tough cookie to crumble.

Diffense

I didn't expect to be having as much fun with the Pokewalker as I'm having.
I thought I would try it once to see what it's about and then forget about it.
But the last two times I've turned on the DS, I haven't made it past "Connect to Pokewalker".

Gravijah

Metroid Killer said:
Yup the Pokewalker is really something, and I hope they have something similar to it when releasing the gen 5.

As I've said before, upgrade it to a full on virtual pet. It would be awesome.

Delio

I have to say once i got to the league..talking to my pokemon all they would do is nod to me and nothing else. There way of telling you they are ready to face the Elite. Kinda spurs you on a bit ^_^.

Imagine sometime in the future where your pokewalker will emit a hologram of the pokemon inside, then when meating up with other people with pokewalkers you can watch them fight in front of you! Damn I was born 20 years too early. Oh well I'll just play along with my grandkids then.

Big-ass Ramp

Metroid Killer said:
Imagine sometime in the future where your pokewalker will emit a hologram of the pokemon inside, then when meating up with other people with pokewalkers you can watch them fight in front of you! Damn I was born 20 years too early. Oh well I'll just play along with my grandkids then.

In the future, science will have made actual, real-life Pokemon. They will also have made a Diet Donut.

Chozo said:

To be honest, the only legendaries I'd ever consider attempting to get good stats/natures for are the R/B/Y birds, the G/S/C dogs, and maybe the Regi trio. All the rest are either horribly broken (and you shouldn't be using them anyway), or not actually that great.

Lkr said:
is Pidgeotto shitty for metagame?

I'm assuming you mean Pidgeot? Pidgeotto would definitely be shitty in any kind of serious match.

Sixfortyfive

Man, why would anyone use Pidgeot now that Staraptor exists?

Staraptor398.png

He laughs at all of his early-game Normal/Flying predecessors.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Sixfortyfive said:

Staraptor398.png

Yea, he is better in most if not all ways. That damn nostalgia though, can make a man pick Arbok over Gliscor.

Sixfortyfive said:

Staraptor398.png

That's definitely true; Staraptor walks all over Pidgeot in terms of stats. He also has a much better ability too.

Though I always preferred Fearow over Pidgeot. Faster, and a higher attack. He was more frail, but I didn't mind the tradeoff.

Staraptor is still leagues better than both of them, however.

Attention! The All-Encompassing Competitive Pokemon Thread has been set up by the pokemon mastermind Sixfortyfive, and holds an excessive information on all the deeper layers of pokemon. Also of interest is that there will be held a Neogaf Pokemon Tournament at April 23rd. Please check the thread for more info and don't forget to sign up for the tourney if you are interested.

How are you guys doing at the Pokeathlon?

I still need to break a few records, but I've spent a god amount of time there. Anyway I think it would be fun to compare records and stuff so I'll just make a template here.

Neogaf Pokeathlon Records

Ccategories:

Speed:
Metroid Killer: 515 points

Power:
Metroid Killer: 525 points

Skill:
Metroid Killer: 510 points

Stamina:
Metroid Killer: 511 points

Jump:
Metroid Killer: 473 points

Individual Disciplines:

Hurdle Dash:
Metroid Killer: 80.6 seconds

Pennant Capture:
Metroid Killer: 45 pennants

Relay Run:
Metroid Killer: 17.6 laps

Block Smash:
Metroid Killer: 140 blocks

Circle Push:
Metroid Killer: 66 points

Goal Roll:
Metroid Killer: 13 goals

Snow Throw:
Metroid Killer: 74 points

Ring Drop:
Metroid Killer: 156 points

Lamp Jump:
Metroid Killer: 552 points

Disc Catch:
Metroid Killer: 93 points

Individual Pokemon with all 5 medals:
Metroid Killer: 50 Pokemon

Hall of Fame:
Metroid Killer: 4487 points, 33 trophies

Feel free to add yourself (or pm me) or ask question about strategies.

Top Bottom