• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Well, my training's going to be interrupted by the Dragon Age expansion now...but still open to doing some cyndaquil breeding for those who need it.

((Either of the other starters or Evee would be pretty appreciated but not necessary))

i have a confession. i only bought pokemon blue and played some yellow. beat blue but never collected it all. with Silver i decided to play it until i collect it all. Right now i have 20 pokemons. ;D but ended up hanging at Goldenrod City to play that stupid mini game :lol

upandaway

DMPrince said:
i have a confession. i only bought pokemon blue and played some yellow. beat blue but never collected it all. with Silver i decided to play it until i collect it all. Right now i have 20 pokemons. ;D but ended up hanging at Goldenrod City to play that stupid mini game :lol
Catching them all is not a goal by itself, it's the overarching goal of the game made possible by completing all the other goals. Meaning, it will solve itself if you just play the game at your own pace (that includes getting enough coins at Goldenrod to buy the version-exclusive Pokemon).

Eteric Rice said:
How would one farm Rare Candies in this game? For IV purposes of course.
I wonder if they have something like the Maids in Platinum. I still do that every day. Instant leveling for level 50+s is so handy when trying to get every # of Pokemon.

upandaway said:
Catching them all is not a goal by itself, it's the overarching goal of the game made possible by completing all the other goals. Meaning, it will solve itself if you just play the game at your own pace (that includes getting enough coins at Goldenrod to buy the version-exclusive Pokemon).

I wonder if they have something like the Maids in Platinum. I still do that every day. Instant leveling for level 50+s is so handy when trying to get every # of Pokemon.

what. i have to buy pokemons? im going to find someone to trade with me :lol.

antispin

Not counting Rumble on Wiiware, this might be my first Pokemon game. So, what do I need, apart from the cart? I tried reading some of these posts and my mind reels. Is there a newbie guide somewhere? That site posted a few pages went right over my head, much like most of the posts here. Never thought the game was this complex...

antispin said:
Not counting Rumble on Wiiware, this might be my first Pokemon game. So, what do I need, apart from the cart? I tried reading some of these posts and my mind reels. Is there a newbie guide somewhere? That site posted a few pages went right over my head, much like most of the posts here. Never thought the game was this complex...
Just go in blind and you'll be fine. When the post-post game opens up then that is when you need to start worrying about the more in-depth mechanics.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
antispin said:
Here's a strategy guide for the singleplayer quest:

1) GET MOAR TYPE COVERAGE!
2) GAIN MOAR LEVELS!

Done and done. This is not a difficult game. Seven year olds play it. If you know what you're doing and can plan ahead a little bit, it will save you some grinding compared to a total newb, but that's it.

Gravijah

antispin said:

If this is your first time with the games, don't read too deeply into the mechanics. Play how you want to play, have fun figuring everything out. You only have one first time, so enjoy it. You can go deeper later.

Sixfortyfive said:
Holy shit @ Machop's sprite. XD

I dunno why but it cracked me the hell up.
I haven't done it, but it's quite easy to turn it into a nsfw sprite ;-)

Eteric Rice said:
How would one farm Rare Candies in this game? For IV purposes of course.
In some pokewalker courses, Pokeathlon and the Battle Frontier.

Gravijah

joelseph said:
It cracked me up too. And the one you get in the trade is a female named Muscle. :lol

Pretty sure the Pokemon you get in a trade is the same gender as the traded one. Same IVs/etc too, no?

Sixfortyfive

Gravijah said:
Pretty sure the Pokemon you get in a trade is the same gender as the traded one. Same IVs/etc too, no?
Never checked, but that's probably true. I have noticed that they're always the same level, anyway.

Teknoman

Hope this rain doesnt mess up UPS.

Current status on soul silver delivery: 03/15/2010 7:41 P.M. DESTINATION SCAN

Been in my city since yesterday, scheduled for delivery today, bet UPS will wait till the last minute to drop it off :lol Either that or say I wasnt home.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Eteric Rice said:
I think you can breed anything with ditto.
Which imo leads the list of the most disturbing parts of Pokemon.

I mean, people have made comparisons to Pokemon essentially being a bunch of minors participating in sanctioned pit fights between their pets, but think about this one - A ditto can breed with ANYTHING: Male, female, genderless, rat, dog, bird, tree, rock, ghost, dragon, whatever. Just let the mechanics of that sink in for a minute.

Gravijah

Monroeski said:

I mean, people have made comparisons to Pokemon essentially being a bunch of minors participating in sanctioned pit fights between their pets, but think about this one - A ditto can breed with ANYTHING: Male, female, genderless, rat, dog, bird, tree, rock, ghost, dragon, whatever. Just let the mechanics of that sink in for a minute.

Ditto to evolve into Asari in Gen 5. ;)

upandaway

Monroeski said:

I thought we all agreed breeding accounts to magically conjuring eggs and not related to sex in any way?

survivor

Banned
Maybe it's because I don't pay that much attention or I haven't played Platinum in a long time, but did the battle theme change for HG/SS? It's kinda sticking out for some reason every time I battle.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Man, after completely shitting on my Diamond experience by worrying about EV/Natures and other such garbage, I'm having such a good time with Gold. I've completely re-wired myself to thinking that natures are just their personalities, so my sassy female Mareep is so much more fun to battle with. Same with my naughty Bellsprout. :lol

Gravijah

survivor said:
Maybe it's because I don't pay that much attention or I haven't played Platinum in a long time, but did the battle theme change for HG/SS? It's kinda sticking out for some reason every time I battle.

The battle theme is different for each generation.

Edit: Each generation being

Red/Blue/Green/Yellow/Fire Red/Leaf Green
Gold/Silver/Crystal/Heart Gold/Soul Silver
Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

upandaway

survivor said:
The theme's a remix of the theme from the original Gold/Silver. And I still don't like it.

Sixfortyfive

Monroeski said:

First thing that came to mind:

virgins.jpg

D-Pad

upandaway said:
The theme's a remix of the theme from the original Gold/Silver. And I still don't like it.

I love the battle themes. They seem so intense this time around. :D Especially the wild battle theme and that snare hit at the very start. Like, BAM! Wild pokemon battle.

Gravijah

D-Pad said:
I love the battle themes. They seem so intense this time around. :D Especially the wild battle theme and that snare hit at the very start. Like, BAM! Wild pokemon battle.

Definitely a game to pop out the headphones for. Especially if you use a DS Lite... :lol Speaking of, anyone else hear that random beep after a battle when the screen fades?

upandaway

D-Pad said:
Well I did a double take because of you and went back to Youtube, but yeah, GB Player for me.

Gravijah said:
Definitely a game to pop out the headphones for. Especially if you use a DS Lite... :lol Speaking of, anyone else hear that random beep after a battle when the screen fades?
Yeah at the beginning I thought it was a mistake or something, but apparantly there's a period where it registers clicks(touchs) when the battle stops.

I can't wait to get the GB player, it's just too bad you don't get it before the 16 badges.

Unicorn

Game OST bought!

3 Discs of all the music from the game, on its way from Japan now. $40 is totally worth it.

I reached Ecruteak just a bit ago and it was enough to get me out of my bed, search this thread for someone's mention of the album's availability and order it. :D

Unicorn

Gravijah said:
Wow, the Pokeathlon is awesome. The minigames are actually fun.
I was surprised too. Had some fun, but FUCK those bonus points. Put me in second place because of it. :lol

Damn does this game make me so fucking happy.

I feel like I'm 12 again. :D

Yeah I've been using waaay too much time at the Pokeathlon (see post 3201). Now I have to win medals with a pokemon before I'll level it up... I just can't get 50 flags in the Pennant Capture, it's impossible!

Pappasman

Metroid Killer said:
Yeah at the beginning I thought it was a mistake or something, but apparantly there's a period where it registers clicks(touchs) when the battle stops.

I can't wait to get the GB player, it's just too bad you don't get it before the 16 badges.

The GB player is the best item in the game. Since getting it i have not shut it off once.

Man, I totally forgot Faulkner was the first gym leader. I was ready to march up in to the flying gym with Cyndaquil, Hoothoot, Spinarak, and Bellsprout. XD

Caught a Geodude and a Ghastly to help even things up a bit.

JADS

Monroeski said:

First thing that came to my mind: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/HSOWA Pokémon makes zero sense when it comes to breeding :lol

Bentendo

Am I the only one who had a really hard time trying to defeat Miltank? Jeez, I did not expect that. :lol And feel kind of lame for getting owned by the third gym leader (I still can't believe that happened. I've been playing Pokémon since Red and Blue...).

Bentendo said:
Am I the only one who had a really hard time trying to defeat Miltank? Jeez, I did not expect that. :lol And feel kind of lame for getting owned by the third gym leader (I still can't believe that happened. I've been playing Pokémon since Red and Blue...).
I didn't lose to her, but it was a long battle between her Miltank and my Bayleef.
Now, Morty's Gengar is a completely different story...

Gravijah

Bentendo said:

I was prepared. My Gastly took one for the team and used curse. Then my Flaafy paralyzed the bastard. Then I just slowly took it down.

Bentendo

dragonballjoseph said:
I didn't lose to her, but it was a long battle between her Miltank and my Bayleef.
Now, Morty's Gengar is a completely different story...

Is it just me or do the gym leader's Pokémon seem to have too many healing moves in this game?

Also, is there anyway to get rid of the infatuation effect? It's perhaps the MOST ANNOYING of them all. Except confusion of course, but that one eventually wears off. :lol

Teknoman

I think I like the HG/SS versions better than the original themes. Then again, I still think FR/LG battle themes are better than the originals.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TheSeks said:
AFAIK, no. Nintendo hates us Lefties. :(

EDIT: I also want to play this game, but no Gamestops have a copy of it in for 100 miles. :( Guess that's a good sign for sales, but damn it. :lol
Try Target, mine had a displayer filled to the brim with them. They are ready for the onslaught once word gets out :lol

Most likely breading is something more kid friendly if Nintendo ever elaborates on it. Like the mother summons the Egg using a hidden move to create it from a ball of light, and then the father touches it to make it solidify, with an absolute minimal amount of sexual context. I mean, at the very least, its unlikely they are doing it, since they are eggs.

Top Bottom