• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

SlickVic

Grinding isn't actually that big a deal in these games. I mean yeah, it's a good idea to battle as many trainers as you can, but I rarely go into caves and stuff like that looking for random battles to level up. The thing with these games is by the time you reach the Elite 4, you get a whole lot of cash without really having to do anything special. This means you can horde a ton of max potions, full restores, ethers, max revives, making battles pretty straight forward.

To make life easy on myself, I only focus on leveling 3 pokemon during the gym battles (well 4 once I get the legendary). Other 2-3 pokemon in my team just exist so I get a turn to use max revive when my main fighters go down. I don't think I'd really need to grind hardcore unless I wanted all 6 of them to stay at a good level.

JSnake

SquirrelNuckle said:
You really should post their movesets or what roles you have them for.

I find Typhlosion to be to fragile to compete with and he has a terrible move pool compared to the other fire types out there.

Typhlosion - Fire Blast/Sunny Day/Solarbeam/Eruption
Gengar - Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb/Focus Blast
Tyranitar - Crunch/Stone Edge/Earthquake/Dragon Dance
Alakazam - Psychic/Energy Ball/Calm Mind/Focus Blast
Electivire - Thunder Punch/Ice Punch/Cross Chop/Fire Punch
Gyarados - Dragon Dance/Waterfall/Stone Edge/Earthquake

This is very much subject to change.

survivor

Banned
JSnake said:

Items would help too.

Gengar: Take out Sludge Bomb. It won't help you. I would suggest something like Hidden Power Ice or Fire, but that would be a bitch to breed for. Explosion or Substitute or even Energy Ball can be used.

Typhlosion: Don't use Sunny Day. Won't help when you have Tyranitar on your team. I think he learns Focus Blast, so that would help.

Everything else looks good.

Gravijah

Firestorm said:
Charmander@Charcoal: Ember / Flamethrower / Fire Spin / Fire Blast

Real Man™ Moveset.

I received a Charizard with a similar moveset from my brothers friend.

His nickname? FLAMER. The original trainer? DMX.

JSnake

survivor said:
Items would help too.

Gengar: Take out Sludge Bomb. It won't help you. I would suggest something like Hidden Power Ice or Fire, but that would be a bitch to breed for. Explosion or Substitute or even Energy Ball can be used.

Typhlosion: Don't use Sunny Day. Won't help when you have Tyranitar on your team. I think he learns Focus Blast, so that would help.

Everything else looks good.

Electivire - Expert Belt
Gengar - Life Orb
Typhlosion - Life Orb
Tyranitar - Babiri Berry (cause of Scizor)
Gyarados - Life Orb
Alakazam - Life Orb

Gravijah

deadnoob said:
Can anyone tell me how I can transfer the pichu and jirachi from DPPt to HGSS? Do I need 2 ds'?

If you have access to WiFi, someone around here could help you if you don't have access to more than one DS. Feel free to PM me if you need help.

Manus

JSnake said:

I would get rid of the whole Sunny Day and Solarbeam on Typhlosion. There are so many Pokemon out there like Tyranitar who bring in Sand Storm to negate the Sunny Day. Gengar and T-Tar seem fine. I don't like the whole Calm Mind set on Zam, he's really fragile and it's easy to stop. I would throw Choice Specs on him which ups his Spa Att and replace Calm Mind with Signal Beam or whatever you want to fill that with. Electivire I have no experience with so I don't know what to say to that. That Gyarados set is fine, it can tear apart a whole team if you get a couple of DD's in.

Overall not bad for semi-competitive. Do you work with IV's/EV's? Or do you not fool with them? Since you're not to competitive with the team.

Wiseblade

JSnake said:
high-five-0808-lg-76258126.jpg

If you're really planning to do that, then you should carry Fire Fang/Punch to OHKO him.

JSnake

Yeah, I don't mess around with EVs/IVs. Although I do grind for good natures. What would you suggest for Typhlosion instead of Sunny Day and Solarbeam?

survivor

Banned
JSnake said:
Electivire - Expert Belt
Gengar - Life Orb
Typhlosion - Life Orb
Gyarados - Life Orb
Alakazam - Life Orb
Seems you got your bases covered, and props for the Babiri Berry use. Good thing you already know Scizor is a major threat.

IF you will use Alakzam, how about you use the Trick set? Give him something like Choice Specs and the move Trick. Then when your opponent switch to a wall, like say Blissey, you just use Trick to cripple it. Makes for an effective set and makes Alakazam a bit different than your Gengar.

deadnoob

Gravijah said:
If you have access to WiFi, someone around here could help you if you don't have access to more than one DS. Feel free to PM me if you need help.

Thanks. I will have access in about two weeks when I go home (my sister has a ds). I wasnt sure if there was some weird way of doing it on one console.

Again, thanks for the offer

Varjet

Firestorm said:
Charmander@Charcoal: Ember / Flamethrower / Fire Spin / Fire Blast

Real Man™ Moveset.
Replace Ember with Slash and that is pretty much the set I used to run with my Charizard.
Ah, simpler times.

JSnake

survivor said:
Seems you got your bases covered, and props for the Babiri Berry use. Good thing you already know Scizor is a major threat.

IF you will use Alakzam, how about you use the Trick set? Give him something like Choice Specs and the move Trick. Then when your opponent switch to a wall, like say Blissey, you just use Trick to cripple it. Makes for an effective set and makes Alakazam a bit different than your Gengar.

Actually that seems like a pretty good idea, yeah. Trick swaps the two Pokemon's items, right? So that removes the Blissey's Leftovers and gives it Choice Specs?

I still don't get how the PokeWalker gets you EXP. I walked around with it all day, got 4,189 steps, played some of the mini games, but can't seem to find a way to convert Watts to EXP.

Manus

JSnake said:
Yeah, I don't mess around with EVs/IVs. Although I do grind for good natures. What would you suggest for Typhlosion instead of Sunny Day and Solarbeam?

You can give it Focus Punch or Focus Blast. Use Punch if you anticipate the switch. It's hard to pick a good 4th slot. You could go with a Hidden Power, but it's a pain to get. And yes, Trick switches items.

survivor

Banned
JSnake said:
Actually that seems like a pretty good idea, yeah. Trick swaps the two Pokemon's items, right? So that removes the Blissey's Leftovers and gives it Choice Specs?
Yep, switch the items. As for his other 3 moves, they can range from Psychic/Energy Ball/Focus Blast/Charge Beam. Don't think it will matter that much which moves you pick.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Crazymoogle said:

I would never lead with Gengar in this environment. He's obvious Pursuit bait for Tyranitar, or Bullet Punch fodder for Scizor. He doesn't out pace Azelf, and loses to Psychic. Now that Hypnosis is 60%, leading with Gengar is much riskier. He's still a good Pokemon, but you should scout to see what the opponent has first. Substitute is a great move on him, because it allows him scout for those nasty Scizor/Tyranitars and eliminate them.

Alakazam is in the same boat, frail, but Gengar/Alakazam combo can work if you can bait out Blissey, or Tyranitar with Gengar and hit them with Focus Punch/Focus Blast, thus putting them in KO range for Alakazam who can then sweep. Zam is generally outclassed these days by bulkier sweepers that are not weak to Bullet Punch, and Sucker Punch. Like posters above mentioned, Trick on Zam is one way to shut down Blissey. Of course, if Choice Band Scizor switches into you, you're screwed, because it's check mate with Pursuit. I recommend replacing Zam with Jirachi, if you have one. Jirachi pulls of a similar Calm Mind set much better, and gives you the Rock/Dragon resist you need so badly. He might be tough to come by in game though. Empoleon has a slightly different way of sweeping, with Agility and a berry that raises Special Attack, while activating his ability. Both these Pokemon enjoy playing with Tyranitar too.

Electivire is generally regarded as too weak against standard walls, but he work swell with your Gyarados in taking Electric attacks. If you think your nature is good enough for it, consider Thunderbolt > Thunderpunch, because he has good special attack, and Thunderbolts higher base power is ideal.

Gyarados is a great Pokemon, and should really be feared after a Dragon Dance. He does a good job switching into fighting attacks aimed at Tyranitar, if you can't risk switch in Gengar to something like an Infernape. Since it seems like this team will depend on Gyarados a lot to take hits for the Pokemon with weaker defenses, you might consider running a bulkier set. Taunt might also be advisable, because it forces things like Skarmory who which in to attack, rather than Whirlwind you away and setup. It allows Gyarados to setup on things like Hippowdon too.

Tyranitar is a great Pokemon, but notice that no one on your team really appreciates Sand Stream. Which brings me to..

Add a ground, or steel type to your team. Flygon would make an ideal choice. He gives you very strong moves in Outrage and Earthquake, and he helps you take Electric/Rock attacks aimed as Gyarados (and you have no Rock resist). He counters other Tyranitars well, and he enjoys playing in the Sand. A steel type is advisable though, because you have nothing to switch into things like Salamence's Outrage.

And speaking of Sand, your Typlosion with Sunny Day is counter productive with Tyranitar and it weakens Gyarados' water attacks.

Anyways, don't worry about it too much. Have fun! :D

survivor

Banned
JSnake said:
That's true. With DD, T-Tar is faster than Scizor, making a U-Turn useless right?
Yeah DD will increase your speed by x1.5 so you will be much faster. But really I don't think that many Scizor's will U-Turn your Tyranitar unless they know beforehand you have Babiri Berry.

JSnake said:

I'd reverse the roles on Alakazam and Gengar, personally. Your team needs something to pick off speedy Pokemon and Choice Scarf Gengar does the job quite well.
watch out for Pursuit

Without a revenge killer, your team is SOL if an opposing Gyarados gets a single Dragon Dance in. Salamence would be even worse since your team lacks a Steel type.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Little Green Yoda said:
I'd reverse the roles on Alakazam and Gengar, personally. Your team needs something to pick off speedy Pokemon and Choice Scarf Gengar does the job quite well.
watch out for Pursuit

Without a revenge killer, your team is SOL if an opposing Gyarados gets a single Dragon Dance in. Salamence would be even worse since your team lacks a Steel type.

In my opinion, he should replace Vire for Jolteon (although I'd probably rework the whole team, the synergy is not great, and it doesn't seem he has specific goals in mind. ie; Tyranitar sweep. Which would be supported by things like Magnezone to take out Scizor, and someone to setup entry hazards, and anything that could deal with Hippo), giving him a much better shot at revenge killing Adamant Gyarados (Jolly is much rarer). Jolteon can also Baton Pass Substitutes to frail sweepers like Gengar (and often times, Earthquake is aimed at Jolteon, leaving Gengar's Substitute in take) and Zam.

I didn't know how competitive he's getting though. A lot of these Pokemon I'm recommending take breeding, or are tough to find outside of events.

Wiseblade

survivor said:
Yeah DD will increase your speed by x1.5 so you will be much faster. But really I don't think that many Scizor's will U-Turn your Tyranitar unless they know beforehand you have Babiri Berry.

Choice banders will go straight for the Bullet Punch while Swords Dance sets will wither try to set up expecting a switch or go for Superpower.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wiseblade said:
Choice banders will go straight for the Bullet Punch while Swords Dance sets will wither try to set up expecting a switch or go for Superpower.

Your best bet early in a match if Tyranitar comes in is to Stone Edge, in my opinion. It lets you bluff Choice Item, because of Babri Berry, and Stone Edge will 2HKO Scizor, meaning he can't switch in with safety again.

Looking at the team again.. I really think Magnezone could have a place here. Probably Choice Scarf variant which could revenge kill Dragons stuck in Outrage, and trap a Scizor that goes to Bullet Punch too quickly. It lets him check Jirachi as well, with having to pull out Gyarados into one that might be packing Thunderbolt. He will definitely benefit Tyranitar, who appears to be the likely setup sweeper, with Gyarados housing a more defensive role as a backup sweeper.

JSnake

EvilMario said:
Your best bet early in a match if Tyranitar comes in is to Stone Edge, in my opinion. It lets you bluff Choice Item, because of Babri Berry, and Stone Edge will 2HKO Scizor, meaning he can't switch in with safety again.

Looking at the team again.. I really think Magnezone could have a place here. Probably Choice Scarf variant which could revenge kill Dragons stuck in Outrage, and trap a Scizor that goes to Bullet Punch too quickly. It lets him check Jirachi as well, with having to pull out Gyarados into one that might be packing Thunderbolt. He will definitely benefit Tyranitar, who appears to be the likely setup sweeper, with Gyarados housing a more defensive role as a backup sweeper.

Should I switch Electivire for Magnezone?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
JSnake said:
Should I switch Electivire for Magnezone?

It would really help you. Nothing on your team resist Rock, or Dragon. Magnezone resist both, and can really hurt Salamence/Dragonite with STAB Thunderbolt (or HP Ice), and he can hurt Tyranitar with Flash Cannon (make sure he's Choiced before switching in, or that he's weak.)

Magnezone also gives you a good chance to trap and kill Scizor, who really menaces the team right now, and Gyarados' shoulders are really heavy because he's counter almost everything from Metagross to Lucario for your team. Magnezone can also Explode on Blissey/Snorlax, allowing you a clear shot at sweeping with Gengar.

edit: Use this team builder to check your weaknesses. It will give you a good idea about what your team has covered, and what it might be exposed it. While it won't help with your coverage on offense, it can give you an idea about your defense and what you might look out for.

http://pokemon.marriland.com/diamond_pearl/team_builder/

JSnake

Alrighty! I was also thinking of switching out Typhlosion for Infernape. Is this good for an Infernape set? If so, I have this exact Infernape on my Plat and can switch him over.

Infernape (Life Orb) Close Combat/Nasty Plot/Flamethrower/Grass Knot

survivor

Banned
JSnake said:
Alrighty! I was also thinking of switching out Typhlosion for Infernape. Is this good for an Infernape set? If so, I have this exact Infernape on my Plat and can switch him over.

Most common and basic Infernape set. You can use Hidden Power Ice instead of Nasty Plot, but it would require a lot of breeding. There is a lead set, you can use that instead.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
JSnake said:

Infernape is a great choice and that's the standard Nasty Plot. He's neutral to Rock, and he goes well with Tyranitar who can pick off Latias and Starmie. Although HP Ice is 'good', if you have Stealth Rocks up, and Fire Blast, you can actually KO a lot of resist (ala, Salamence). It's a good idea to lead with something that has Rocks up for this team, because Infernape has a much easier time OHKOing things like Gyarados with Grass Knot when Rocks are up. In my opinion, replacing either Zam, or Gengar (probably Zam, but it's up to you) with a lead who can setup Stealth Rock would be a good move. Whether it's a suicide lead, trick lead, or something that can come back in later to help clean up is up to you.

Teknoman said:
Does fire spin receive same type attack bonus? Kinda of want to start using trap moves.

Yes, it does.

Wiseblade

JSnake said:

it's a tried and true classic.

Also... Pokemon Heart Gold - Giant Bomb approved! :D

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
JSnake said:
How about Aerodactyl or Skarmory for a Stealth Rock lead?

Aero is one of the best choices for a lead to be assured of laying down SR. Skarmory is better left to a reserve spot, because he is easy pickings for Azelf with Fire Blast, or other Aerodactyls with Taunt.

Aerodactyl pairs well with Magnezone and Gyarados as well. Magnezone can trap and kill lead Jirachi (often running Choice Scarf) who give Aerodactyl trouble with Iron Head, and Gyarados can switch into most Metagross and Infernape leads if you don't want to sacrifice Aero right off the bat.

ngower

Anyone have advice for the first half of the game in regards to what Pokemon to catch that have longevity? In other words, rather than grabbing Zubat, Geodude, Bellsprout, etc, is there anything within the first few cities and towns that are worth grabbing? Right now I'm just Quilava and Pidgey, and don't care about any of the garbage Pokemon. I'd rather train these guys than give time to the crap...

...any recommendations?

JSnake

EvilMario said:
Aero is one of the best choices for a lead to be assured of laying down SR. Skarmory is better left to a reserve spot, because he is easy pickings for Azelf with Fire Blast, or other Aerodactyls with Taunt.

Aerodactyl pairs well with Magnezone and Gyarados as well. Magnezone can trap and kill lead Jirachi (often running Choice Scarf) who give Aerodactyl trouble with Iron Head, and Gyarados can switch into most Metagross and Infernape leads if you don't want to sacrifice Aero right off the bat.

Aero it is then! Any other suggestions you'd make?

Jokey665

ngower said:
Anyone have advice for the first half of the game in regards to what Pokemon to catch that have longevity? In other words, rather than grabbing Zubat, Geodude, Bellsprout, etc, is there anything within the first few cities and towns that are worth grabbing? Right now I'm just Quilava and Pidgey, and don't care about any of the garbage Pokemon. I'd rather train these guys than give time to the crap...

...any recommendations?
I've only used three pokemon so far, and they've been serving me well (8 badges...).

Cyndaquil
Mareep
Wooper

And their evolutions, of course.

JSnake

ngower said:

...any recommendations?

Gastly is in Sprout Tower at night!

I never finished that Shiny Gold remake thing, so I figure I'll pick my team up from that. Rocking:

Cyndaquil
Hoothoot
Bellsprout
Wooper
Mareep
Sudowoodo

Butterfree is great simply because if you can get the Compound Eyes and Sleep Powder, you have a very effective tool for capturing Pokemon, especially later in the game when your ability to catch Pokemon using typical pokeballs becomes much harder. The only problem is he might be difficult to find outside of HeartGold...

Loam

Jesus this thread moves fast.

EvilMario said:
It's been posted a lot, but with search disabled..

Furret learns Cut, Surf, Strength, Whirlpool, Rock Smash and Headbutt.

Golduck learns Surf, Strength, Whirlpool, Rock Smash Waterfall, Rock Climb

Thus you give Fly to your flying type Pokemon.

If you want your HM slaves to be decent attackers, Tauros (Surf, Strength, Whirlpool, Rock Climb, etc) is a decent one receiving STAB on the Normal HMs, and Skarmory can (Cut, Rock Smash, Fly) be a decent. Thus you'd need to give Waterfall to something else.

Thanks for info, looks like theres even more HM moves in this game. :|

I'm finally heading to Olivine

My team thus far

Quilava - 21
Furret - 20
Flaffy - 20
Bellsprout - 20
Drowzee - 20
Doduo - 20

Beating Morty was surprisingly easy. His Gengar lacked dream eater and couldn't do a thing to my Furret who defeated it with a combination of X-Attack, Foresight, and Headbutt.

I need to boost Quilava up a bit before Jasmine. Drowzee and Doduo will have a field day with Chuck. Bellsprout, and Flaffy can help out too.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
JSnake said:
Aero it is then! Any other suggestions you'd make?

Team:

Pokemon 1: Aerodactyl
Move 1: Taunt
Move 2: Stealth Rocks
Move 3: Stone Edge / Rock Slide
Move 4: Earthquake
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Nature(s): Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Pokemon 2: Tyranitar
Move 1: Dragon Dance
Move 2: Crunch
Move 3: Stone Edge
Move 4: Earthquake / Fire Punch
Item: Babiri Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature(s): Adamant (outspeeds base 115s, like Starmie)
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Pokemon 3: Magnezone
Move 1: Thunderbolt
Move 2: Flash Cannon
Move 3: HP Ice (if available..) / Magnet Rise
Move 4: Explosion / Substitute
Item: Choice Scarf, or Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
Nature(s): Naive / Modest
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe, or 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe

I recommend the Choice Scarf set, because it makes sense for this team, but either option is okay.

Pokemon 4: Infernape
Move 1: Close Combat
Move 2: Flamethrower / Fire Blast
Move 3: Grass Knot / HP Ice
Move 4: Nasty Plot
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Nature(s): Naive
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe

Stick with Grass Knot for the most part, as your team needs to be able to down Bulky Waters, which give you a bit of trouble.

Pokemon 5: Gyarados
Move 1: Rest
Move 2: Sleep Talk
Move 3: Waterfall
Move 4: Roar/Dragon Dance
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Nature(s): Impish / Adamant
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe, or 156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe

Rest Talk Gyarados benefits your team by giving you a solid status absorber, and allowing Gyarados to continue to counter almost all your Fighting, and Steel attacks. Roar, or Dragon Dance is a preference of giving yourself a fourth sweeper, or a very strong, and annoying wall. Shuffling Pokemon, while SR are down and Sand Storm is going is a very nice strategy.

Pokemon 6: Gengar
Move 1: Icy Wind / HP Ice
Move 2: Focus Blast
Move 3: Shadow Ball
Move 4: Thunderbolt / Sludge Bomb
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Nature(s): Timid
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def

or

Pokemon 6: Gengar
Move 1: Substitute
Move 2: Pain Split
Move 3: Shadow Ball
Move 4: Focus Blast
Item: Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
Nature(s): Timid
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def

The different between the first and second set is the seconds ability to defeat Blissey, while the first is to let you revenge kill a number of Pokemon you might have trouble with (a Salamence that has setup a Dragon Dance). Gengar doesn't require HP Ice, because he receives Icy Wind ala Move Tutor.

The idea behind the second one is to Substitute while Blissey switches in. Gengar will be able to keep using Substitute as he is restored to nearly full health via Pain Split. As Blissey nears 30% of her health remaining, Gengar can dispatch her with Focus Blast. Substitute and Focus Punch is an alternative method, as is using Explosion with a neutral nature and Life Orb with some attack investment.

The team is still a bit frail, but it's high risk / high reward with this much offense. Something like an AgilityGross that sets up could be trouble, but overall I think you'll find the team will do okay! :D

Top Bottom