• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

timnich

I could really use help transferring pokemon from my platinum to soul silver...it's only six pokemon and whoever helps gets their choice of evolutionary item or possibly a rare tm, if I have them.

Echoes

Lkr said:
how the hell did you get Togetic already? My level 16 Togepi refuses to evolve
I transferred Soothe Bell from Platinum to this game, and have Togepi hold it all the time. He's almost always the first in my party. And apparently, when you put a Pokemon in the poke-walker it loves you quickly. I put him there and walked for about an hour with him, and when I transferred him he evolved upon hitting the next level.

Hero

So is anyone here capable of making a Charmander egg where he knows Fire Punch? Back when I was playing Diamond the only way to have Charmander know Fire Punch was in like, fucking Emerald or some shit. Trying to raise a Bellydrum Charizard with Fire Punch.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is it bad that once I got to Goldenrod I decided to turn around and go back to the Headbutt tutor in the forest and teach Headbutt to all the pokemon I had that could learn it :lol

Haven't been able to put to much time into the game yet, but here are my pokemons:

Sentret Level 14Furret Level 15
Mareep Level 11
Croconaw Level 19
Jirachi Level 14
"Rocky" level 16
Its the Onix you can trade for with the NPC
Beedrill Level 11

I feel using Jirachi is a little cheap, the thing can simple murder some pokemon.

Chozo

viciouskillersquirrel said:
So can anyone give me a list of underused monsters typically found in SS?

In the competitive sense or the "most people never do a playthrough with these, ever" sense?

Because if it's the latter case it should be pretty easy: try to beat the game with only Pokemon you find on the first couple routes. Pokemon that don't appear until late and the game and thus are hilariously underleveled are also in the running.

So seriously, where do I find a list of UU pokemon?

Chozo said:
In the competitive sense or the "most people never do a playthrough with these, ever" sense?

Because if it's the latter case it should be pretty easy: try to beat the game with only Pokemon you find on the first couple routes. Pokemon that don't appear until late and the game and thus are hilariously underleveled are also in the running.
Both, if I could. In Emerald, I tried to make good on a Sirskit run... until I found out that it evolved into Masquerain. Biggest waste of an interesting typing ever.

Ondore

To the person who thought it would be funny to put Steelix in the cave on Route 47 with 2% catch rate, congratulations. You may have cured my OCD for catching everything on the route on 1st trip.

pirata

Hey, I'm going to order Superior Silver off of Amazon, and was thinking about ordering something else to go alongside it in the same box, even though I need new games like I need a hole in my head. (since the shipping would be the exact same, right?). I was thinking either getting LittleBigPlanet GotY Edition (some sellers are selling it for around 40 bucks) or SMT Nocturne. Or should I go with something else, or just stick with Silver? What does GAF think?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ondore said:
To the person who thought it would be funny to put Steelix in the cave on Route 47 with 2% catch rate, congratulations. You may have cured my OCD for catching everything on the route on 1st trip.
Here are the names of all 4 of the programers of the orignal games, you can give them your thanks.
  • Tetsuya Watanabe
  • Shigeki Morimoto
  • Sousuke Tamada
  • Takenori Oota

n3ss

aka acr0nym
My pokemon team is just too awesome -- gym leaders had no idea as to what hit them.

So, when's this gaf tourny!?

ivysaur12

Banned
So, I'm on the Rugged Path of my Pokewalker, have about 3500 steps, and have only been able to encounter Machops. I want a Ponyta too. Is it a version exclusive thing?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ivysaur12 said:
So, I'm on the Rugged Path of my Pokewalker, have about 3500 steps, and have only been able to encounter Machops. I want a Ponyta too. Is it a version exclusive thing?

I'm pretty sure the Pokewalker is not effected by version.

udivision

ivysaur12 said:

Wait... you can catch pokemon on the pokewalker?

Fewr

ivysaur12 said:

From serebii
http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/pokewalker.shtml
Each Pokéwalker Route consists of three groups. Each of these groups have two Pokemon in them. When a Pokemon is sent to the Pokéwalker, the Pokéwalker will randomly pick one Pokemon from each group. The Pokemon that did not get randomly selected within a group will not ever appear during that walk.

isny

napkin dispenser
ivysaur12 said:

Nope, you're just getting unlucky.

ngower

Heracross...

FFFUUUUUUU.gif

Clocked in at 4:53 in about a twelve hour period, an hour of which was spent headbutting trees only to murder endless amounts of Spearow and Aipom...

Risette

A Good Citizen
What are the best 2 Pokemon for TM/HMs needed for exploration? Right now I have Quagsire (Strength, Flash, Surf, Whirlpool) and Farfetch'd (Fly, Cut)

OK, so I read the UU and NU lists on Smogon and I have to ask: How in the hell did Vespiquen, Armaldo and Pinsir on the NU lists? How did Absol or Aggron, of all things, get onto the UU lists?

survivor

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
OK, so I read the UU and NU lists on Smogon and I have to ask: How in the hell did Vespiquen, Armaldo and Pinsir on the NU lists? How did Absol or Aggron, of all things, get onto the UU lists?
Pretty much usage and how usable they are. Vespiquen takes 50% damage every time it comes in due to Stealth Rock. Don't know much about Pinsir or Armaldo, but they are probably outclassed by a different Pokemon.

Absol is good at using Swords Dance and then Sucker Punch/Pursuit/Night Slash or Superpower. Aggron got the awesome Rock Polish/Head Smash combo.

Animatik

Neo Member
Haven't been able to play too much because of work but just got through a good fight with that crazy Milktank in Golden Rod. It kept attracting and flinching my guys but good thing my Quilava is female :D

Axis

5 badges down! my team as of now:

dratini level 15
scyther level 31
spearow level 16
feraligatr level 32
magby level 29
tauros level 17

once i got the hang of voltorb flip the coins just started flowing. if you have trouble with it be sure to use the memo pad to mark the cards...it really helped me

Jokey665

Just finished beating the Elite Four a little while ago. Kanto is hitting with the nostalgia way harder than anything in Johto did, which is weird because I played Fire Red not all that long ago.

jman2050

Little Green Yoda said:
Give Kakuna a read.

This is your standard Choice sweeper. With Bug Bite, Kakuna is not walled by the likes of Steelix and Steel-type Arceus. As a matter of fact, Bug Bite's addition lowers max HP / max Def Steelix from a 94HKO to a 36HKO. Max HP Steel-type Arceus is now a 25 HKO, while min HP/Def Psychic Arceus is a 22HKO.

:lol

kzn

Neo Member
fairly certain i've played voltorb flip for longer than the actual game now

i want that goddamn tm, fuck

Eteric Rice

Okay, so my Miltank wants to learn rollout. Should I replace anything with it?

Bide
Defense Curl
Stomp
Milk Drink

Thats what she has right now.

Hero

I totally fucking forgot how much of a pain in the ass it is to get TMs of Ice Beam and Thunderbolt. There any ways to dupe them?

Diffense

Defense Curl doubles the power of Rollout if used before so maybe you'd get rid of Bide.
Bide is risky anyway since the Pokemon could crit you even if it usually does poor damage.

cvxfreak

When I played Pokemon games as a kid, particular segments of the games (like a town or a dungeon) seemed to take forever. Now, combined with the faster engine and changing senses of time as one ages, I find that the game is going by very quickly for me. I'm sailing to Cianwood City after only 4 hours of gameplay. That said, I did sell my Japanese version a few months ago because I would rather play the game in English (being an all Kana game doesn't help), but the game is going by unbelievably, yet favorably fast. I used to have more time that let me appreciate Pokemon games as broad experiences, but now I only play for the main adventure itself. In that sense, Gold/Silver always had the best adventure, while I never liked the Sinnoh journey much.

Top Bottom