• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Teknoman

2q1b6zs.png

Does this mean the original trainer for R/B/Y was going to have the backwards cap before G/S? Charizard and Pikachu look like sorta early designs too.

Magni

Sixfortyfive said:
Your Pokemon has to be faster than the roamer in order to use Mean Look before it escapes.

I am so angry that they ditched the Vs Seeker and brought back that shitty Pokegear/Pokenav. So angry. (Well not that angry, but you know.)

Despite Mean Look being used. I use Mean Look, but they flee on the next turn.. What about Shadow Tag?

What the fuck?? Paralyzed Zapdos just fled again, despite both ST and ML! fffuuuuuuuuuuu.gif

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Wiseblade said:
I'd de more angry about the fact the Magikarp fisherman can only be battled one day a week and you have to fight him 3 times before he has a full team.
When you say one day a week, is it only one time for that one day? 'Cause if I can't just time-travel to a certain day by messing with my clock and then battle him over and over all at once I'm never EV training anything in HGSS.

MagniHarvald said:
Despite Mean Look being used. I use Mean Look, but they flee on the next turn.. What about Shadow Tag?
Are you keeping the Mean Look / Shadow Tag Pokemon in play? The effect goes away if you switch.

larvi

Sixfortyfive said:
Are you keeping the Mean Look / Shadow Tag Pokemon in play? The effect goes away if you switch.

Maybe they are using roar? I don't believe mean look or shadow tag prevents that, only soundproof

Sixfortyfive

larvi said:
Maybe they are using roar? I don't believe mean look or shadow tag prevents that, only soundproof
Yeah but since he brought up Zapdos I'm assuming that he's using Plat.

Magni

Sixfortyfive said:
When you say one day a week, is it only one time for that one day? 'Cause if I can't just time-travel to a certain day by messing with my clock and then battle him over and over all at once I'm never EV training anything in HGSS.

Serebii says otherwise.. http://www.serebii.net/abilitydex/shadowtag.shtml

The opponent cannot run nor switch. If this Pokémon switches, the opponent will remain trapped. The opponent may still switch by using Baton Pass

Sixfortyfive

Pretty sure that only applies for the turn where you actually switch. It's free to do whatever after that.

SlickVic

Disguises said:
Superior Silver is £5 more expensive in tesco :(. Grrrr.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/jonrelo/superiorsilver.jpg[IMG]
[url]http://direct.tesco.com/search/default.aspx?search=pokemon&confirm.x=0&confirm.y=0[url][/QUOTE]

LOL at Amazon US, Soul Silver is the cheaper version by a whole $1 ($32.54). I was originally gonna go with Heart Gold but didn't see the point of spending more for it.

Superior Silver FTW!

Magni

Sixfortyfive said:
Pretty sure that only applies for the turn where you actually switch. It's free to do whatever after that.

... This is gonna be harder than I thought ><

Thanks for clearing that one out though, despite being the bringer of bad news :lol Back to my CS hw then, I'll get to those Legendaries later. Still no one with an extra Growlithe? I must have dozens on my Red cart, shame they're not compatible at all :lol

If you accept all phonenumbers then later on you'll have rematches constantly!

In other news, I can finally go to Kanto! It took more than a week but I finally got 30.000 watts and unlocked the course where I can get a Snorunt, the final pokemon for my Kanto Team. Looking forward to tomorrow, to once again visit new towns and battle some gym leaders!

Delio

Well i now have 11 badges. Still trucking on with my team and i am lawling when Noctowl just stalls stuff. So much bulk it has when trained right.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
MagniHarvald said:

The Pokemon remains trapped, for THAT turn. After the new Pokemon comes in, the Shadow Tag is released.

ie; Wobbufett vs Blissey.

Turn 1: Wobbufett switches into Blissey's Toxic.
Turn 2: Wobbufett used Encore! Blissey got an Encore and used Toxic again! (Shadow Tag in effect)
Turn 3: Wobbufett used Safe Guard! Blissey continued to use Toxic! (Shadow Tag in effect)
Turn 4: Wobbufett switched with Rayquaza! Blissey continued to use Toxic (Shadow Tag in effect until end of turn)
Turn 5: Rayquaza used Dragon Dance. Blissey switches to Mamoswine (Shadow Tag effect was lifted when Wobbufett left).

edit: beaten

Mean Look is effectively the exact same, but in move format. Although Mean Look can be Baton Passed to other Pokemon, and the effect remains.

Arena Trap, with Dugtrio, Diglet and Trapnich have is effectively Shadow Tag, but only for grounded Pokemon.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am ether reading to much into them, or the phone calls are giving you subtle hints about the games mechanics.

Sixfortyfive

MagniHarvald said:
... This is gonna be harder than I thought ><

Thanks for clearing that one out though, despite being the bringer of bad news :lol Back to my CS hw then, I'll get to those Legendaries later. Still no one with an extra Growlithe? I must have dozens on my Red cart, shame they're not compatible at all :lol
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20306097&postcount=27

I probably won't be around to trade anything else until at least tomorrow though. Got to take care of some other stuff now.

Metroid Killer said:
If you accept all phonenumbers then later on you'll have rematches constantly!
I wish the Pokegear map had better indications of when an event was going on. Right now the ! mark only appears when you hover the cursor over that route/landmark, and it's tiny. Every once in a while I get a phone call that's like "dude where are you i've been waiting for days" and I'm like "...oh yeah. him."

Put those indicators on the route on the complete map or something.

Ah, I got a shiny Zubat! From the cave before Azalea. I never saw a shiny in my life. :lol Now I feel like I have to raise it, or else I'll be wasting great potential... But I'm already raising 3 Pokemon, something I haven't ever done before.

I love the Pokewalker, though. While playing the game, I'd just put the strap on my ankle and spin it to gain watts. Fun. :Lol

I'm raising Croconaw, Geodude, and Flaffy. It's a horrible team because of grass type, but oh well.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
upandaway said:
I thought we all agreed breeding accounts to magically conjuring eggs and not related to sex in any way?
I agreed to nothing of the sort.

"...your Pokemon had an egg. I don't know how it got there..." Yeah. Right. :D

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Why would you do that? said:
Ah, I got a shiny Zubat! From the cave before Azalea. I never saw a shiny in my life. :lol Now I feel like I have to raise it, or else I'll be wasting great potential... But I'm already raising 3 Pokemon, something I haven't ever done before.

I love the Pokewalker, though. While playing the game, I'd just put the strap on my ankle and spin it to gain watts. Fun. :Lol

I'm raising Croconaw, Geodude, and Flaffy. It's a horrible team because of plant type, but oh well.

Zubat (and in your near future, Crobat) is actually a great Pokemon, In-Game and otherwise. Congrats on the legit shiny.

Magni

birdman said:
Voltorb Flip pisses me off, but I keep playing it. I'm gonna get that Dratini if it's the last thing I do.

Catch one in Platinum, and send it over ;) It's what I'm doing :lol

Thanks a lot Sixfourtyfive for the Growlithe, I won't be on till Thursday, I'll PM you :)

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Drkirby said:
I am ether reading to much into them, or the phone calls are giving you subtle hints about the games mechanics.
Are you talking about that one call... "My Rattata is better than wild Rattata. I can't explain it but you know what I mean about my Rattata being the best Rattata of all Rattata, right?"

EvilMario said:
Zubat (and in your near future, Crobat) is actually a great Pokemon, In-Game and otherwise. Congrats on the legit shiny.
Ah... Thanks. :D

How many Pokemon does a person normally raise at once? I usually work with 1 or 2, but I'm working with 3 right now, and, to my surprise, I don't have to do any real level grinding if I don't run away from any battles.

There are at least 2 others I want to raise.

Chozo

How many Pokemon does a person normally raise at once? I usually work with 1 or 2, but I'm working with 3 right now, and, to my surprise, I don't have to do any real level grinding if I don't run away from any battles.

4 is usually my limit for normal gameplay, partially because that keeps them all at a decent level and partially because 2 slots are reserved for my HM slaves.

Balb

I beat the elite four with 3 pokemon. 2 if you count the fact that crobat was more or less worthless. In all honesty, Feraligatr is enough to beat most of the elite four, but I also had a level 50ish Arcanine to sweeten the deal.

Also: If anyone with SS has a delibird, I'd like to trade for it. PM me.

JSnake

So, uh... How is this for semi-competitive team? I won't be doing Shoddy Battle or anything. Mostly a few GAF tournies here and there.

Typhlosion
Gengar
Alakazam
Electivire
Gyarados
Tyranitar

Sixfortyfive

Lately I've been using a full team of 6 by the time I get to the E4, but I don't use 6 from the start. I'll basically only have my starter and maybe one other Pokemon until I have a badge or two under my belt, then add more particularly good ones as I come across them later. I'm almost at the 3rd gym and my team is Cyndaquil (lv20) and Togepi (lv20). Haven't done any grinding yet and don't expect that I'll have to.

"Easy mode" is basically using only 2 Pokemon: your starter and one good Pokemon that covers your starter's weaknesses. You can do it with just 1 Pokemon if you're wise about TM usage, PP usage, and so on. The rest of the slots can be used for HM slaves or eggs or whatever.

Mudo

Advice: I have never played a Pokemon game (*seemingly* too kiddy etc etc) but my nephew swears that I need to buy this new one.

I love RPG's.

Is there any reason I should not get this game??

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Mudo said:
Advice: I have never played a Pokemon game (*seemingly* too kiddy etc etc) but my nephew swears that I need to buy this new one.

I love RPG's.

No, go buy it now.

Gravijah

Mudo said:

I love RPG's.

What do you have to lose? He might kick your ass, though. :lol

Oli

Mudo said:

I love RPG's.

There's some grinding, random encounters, the game moves fairly slow, and it's a bit repetitive.

To be honest, there are alot of reasons to not buy a Pokemon game, but on the flipside they are inexplicably fun little games to play.

If you don't have trouble honing into your inner child, go for it. The biggest downfall of the series is that every iteration is too similar to the last, but as a newcomer there should be no problem in that regard.

JSnake said:
So, uh... How is this for semi-competitive team? I won't be doing Shoddy Battle or anything. Mostly a few GAF tournies here and there.

Typhlosion: probably the weakest but fire is pretty useful.
Gengar: fast and versatile, an ideal starter
Alakazam: sorta oldschool, depends on your moveset
Electivire: tons of great moves, absorb electricity to take control of the battle
Gyarados: tough to kill, versatile
Tyranitar: general powerhouse

Seems fine. You have to worry about earthquake a little bit, but they are all useful pokemon. (Had no idea Tyranitar was unbanned though, guess I haven't read smogon in awhile.)

Gravijah

Oli said:
There's some grinding, random encounters, the game moves fairly slow, and it's a bit repetitive.

To be honest, there are alot of reasons to not buy a Pokemon game, but on the flipside they are inexplicably fun little games to play.

If you don't have trouble honing into your inner child, go for it. The biggest downfall of the series is that every iteration is too similar to the last, but as a newcomer there should be no problem in that regard.

He loves RPGs already, so I doubt those will bother him.

Oli

Gravijah said:
He loves RPGs already, so I doubt those will bother him.

I love RPG's and I hate those things. But of course, I've played many a Pokemon so I guess I'm willing to live with it.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
I'll post my current team as of right now -- loving this game!

Ninjask - 45
Smeargle - 41
Celebi - 37
Vaporeon - 64
Lucario - 42
Porygon-Z - 35

So I'm only just beat Bugsy and got the second badge, and I was wandering around the Ilex Forest, just trying to find my way out after finding the Farfetch'ds, and what do I stumble across?

Shiny Metapod, completely out of the blue. Goddamn I'm too psyched up right now :lol

survivor

Banned
JSnake said:

Typhlosion
Gengar
Alakazam
Electivire
Gyarados
Tyranitar
I would personally take out Alakazam. Gengar kidna outclasses him and does few things better. Since you are not looking for a serious competitive team, you should be fine. Just remember, Tyranitar is a true monster.

Wiseblade

JSnake said:

Typhlosion
Gengar
Alakazam
Electivire
Gyarados
Tyranitar

It's kind of hard without more detail, but I'd say that you team lacks focus or any major synergy. you've put together 6 powerful Pokemon, but a lot of the are quite frail. Tyranitar's sand stream ability is also going to hurt you.

Gyarados and Electivire work well together, so they're fine. Typhlosion can also serve as a really powerful lead with a choice scarf equipped. With two pokemon weak to ground and the fact that none of your Pokemon really like sandstorms, Tyranitar would best be left out.

Gengar's a really good special based Pokemon, so leave him in. Alakazam his also a good special pokemon, but has similar moves and is a lot easier to ko.

Defensively, a skarmory would be really good at taking hits for your team and works well with the rest of your team.

For the sixth slot, you can pretty much go wild, but I'd reccommend a Heracross. Heracross is awesome.

*wait for someone to tear apart his suggestion*

isny

napkin dispenser
Wiseblade said:
It's kind of hard without more detail, but I'd say that you team lacks focus or any major synergy. you've put together 6 powerful Pokemon, but a lot of the are quite frail. Tyranitar's sand stream ability is also going to hurt you.

Gyarados and Electivire work well together, so they're fine. Typhlosion can also serve as a really powerful lead with a choice scarf equipped. With two pokemon weak to ground and the fact that none of your Pokemon really like sandstorms, Tyranitar would best be left out.

Gengar's a really good special based Pokemon, so leave him in. Alakazam his also a good special pokemon, but has similar moves and is a lot easier to ko.

Defensively, a skarmory would be really good at taking hits for your team and works well with the rest of your team.

For the sixth slot, you can pretty much go wild, but I'd reccommend a Heracross. Heracross is awesome.

*wait for someone to tear apart his suggestion*

Objection!...wait...wrong game...

Manus

JSnake said:

Typhlosion
Gengar
Alakazam
Electivire
Gyarados
Tyranitar

You really should post their movesets or what roles you have them for.

I find Typhlosion to be to fragile to compete with and he has a terrible move pool compared to the other fire types out there.

Top Bottom