• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Obsessed said:
Beating Morty was surprisingly easy. His Gengar lacked dream eater and couldn't do a thing to my Furret who defeated it with a combination of X-Attack, Foresight, and Headbutt.

Doesn't ghost-types have some immunity to Normal attacks?

ryan-ts

LET ME SAY IT ONCE MORE, I WANT ME A GOD DAMN FUCKING WATER STONE. FUCK THIS GAME FOR NOT GIVING ME ONE BEFORE THE ELITE 4.

My Staryu, who I've trained since level 10 or so, is near useless at level 40 now against the Elite 4. Such bullshit.

No I'm not really angry, just a little ticked off

bernardobri said:
Doesn't ghost-types have some immunity to Normal attacks?

survivor said:
I think Foresight makes him able to hit Ghost Pokemon.

Survivor is correct

ryan-ts said:
LET ME SAY IT ONCE MORE, I WANT ME A GOD DAMN FUCKING WATER STONE. FUCK THIS GAME FOR NOT GIVING ME ONE BEFORE THE ELITE 4.

I think you can get evolutionary stones from placing first in the Bug Catching Contest.

Btw the contest seems harder to win now. Getting a Scyther back in the old days was pretty much instant first place. I got a Scyther this time and didn't even place -_-

Oh and does anyone have a spare leaf stone? I want to be able to evolve my Weepinbell at some point.

ryan-ts

Obsessed said:
I think you can get evolutionary stones from placing first in the Bug Catching Contest..

Only sun stones before beating the elite 4. Guy on here tried it 12 times and got 12 sun stones.

ryan-ts said:
Only sun stones before beating the elite 4. Guy on here tried it 12 times and got 12 sun stones.

So I'm going to be stuck with a Weepinbell? Damn.

Somebody please have a spare leaf stone.

Oh wait. What about Pokewalker dowsing? Do any of the routes allow you to find a leaf stone?

Chozo

Obsessed said:
Btw the contest seems harder to win now. Getting a Scyther back in the old days was pretty much instant first place. I got a Scyther this time and didn't even place -_-

According to one of the contest NPCs, apparently the HP you catch it at matters now. I caught a Scyther at 1 HP with false swipe and lost to two kids with goddamn Weedle. Fuck.

Chozo said:
According to one of the contest NPCs, apparently the HP you catch it at matters now. I caught a Scyther at 1 HP with false swipe and lost to two kids with goddamn Weedle. Fuck.

But then how the hell am I supposed to catch it? The thing was at red, and paralyzed, and it still took 4 tries to catch it.

Jeez they made the contest, and the game corner way harder than they used to be.

Chozo

Obsessed said:
But then how the hell am I supposed to catch it? The thing was at red, and paralyzed, and it still took 4 tries to catch it.

Jeez they made the contest, and the game corner way harder than they used to be.

The funny thing is that the consolation prize is better than the actual first place prize pre national dex. That softens the blow a bit, I guess.

Fugu

I've traditionally made teams for competitive battling (I have one right now), so this time I'm going to do something different (for me, anyway) and make a viable team of pokemon I like. Namely:

Scyther
Gyarados
Jumpluff
Dugtrio
Blastoise

...And one more that I can't decide on. Any suggestions to round them out? Obviously I have plenty of sweepers and I can make a decent enough bp out of at least one of them.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
JSnake said:

You're welcome! Don't be afraid to make changes, or try new sets if you think it might benefit your team. My recommendations are only that, and you should see what works best for you!

Pacey said:
do they give you more than one save slot this time around?

Technically speaking, there is a backup on every cart, in case of corrupted data.. but.. no.. no second save slot. There's just too much information, and Nintendo wants everyone in your house to have a copy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Fugu said:
I've traditionally made teams for competitive battling (I have one right now), so this time I'm going to do something different (for me, anyway) and make a viable team of pokemon I like. Namely:

Scyther
Gyarados
Jumpluff
Dugtrio
Blastoise

...And one more that I can't decide on. Any suggestions to round them out? Obviously I have plenty of sweepers and I can make a decent enough bp out of at least one of them.

Only Dugtrio resist Electric and Rock on your team, so you might want to look down that path. Flygon would provide you with those resist, and provides you with another good sweeper with Outrage and Earthquake.

Teknoman

Is there any reason not to use surf or hydro pump on a water type with decent Sp. Attack? Water Pulse sounds nice, but at the same time, Surf/Hydro is stronger.

survivor

Banned
Teknoman said:
Is there any reason not to use surf or hydro pump on a water type with decent Sp. Attack? Water Pulse sounds nice, but at the same time, Surf/Hydro is stronger.
No reason at all. Surf/Hydro Pump all the way. Only Pokemon that will ever use Water Pulse is Togekiss.

timnich

Damn, the Pokewalker is pissing me off. I wore it today when I went to the gym and racked up a ton of watts. The problem is, I'm trying to get an elekid, but all I ever face are stupid magnemites! I know that you can only face 3 out of the possible 6 pokemon on each run, but I've been trying all day and only find magnemites. Does anyone know if the number of steps required to find a certain pokemon reset each time you communicate with the ds game? Meaning, do I have to take 5000 steps everytime I bring a new pokemon to the pokewalker?

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
timnich said:
Damn, the Pokewalker is pissing me off. I wore it today when I went to the gym and racked up a ton of watts. The problem is, I'm trying to get an elekid, but all I ever face are stupid magnemites! I know that you can only face 3 out of the possible 6 pokemon on each run, but I've been trying all day and only find magnemites. Does anyone know if the number of steps required to find a certain pokemon reset each time you communicate with the ds game? Meaning, do I have to take 5000 steps everytime I bring a new pokemon to the pokewalker?

http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/pokewalker-area.shtml

timnich

Thanks, but I already read that. I'm just unsure about the whole steps thing.

Also, can anyone help me transfer pokemon over from platinum? I have a few rare tms and at least one of each elemental stone to make it worthwhile for you.

survivor

Banned
jrricky said:
After all these years, it actually has use? :lol
Nah, no one uses it really outside of in-game stuff. I only used it in my second playthrough of Diamond on my Machoke cause he only had Fighting moves.

larvi

Frickin Morty, I switched in my lvl 4 sentret in to take a shadow ball so I could get a free round to heal one of my other pokes not realizing he was out of PP for sucker punch. He mean looked me and I couldn't swtich out and neither of us could touch each other. Had to wait until he ran out of PP for all moves and killed me with struggle.

Teknoman said:

1) if you like the confusion bonus that Water Pulse gives;some teams rely on status, although usually you want paralysis as a secondary effect. and if you have some kind of sp. attack boosting hold item or have a sp attack boosting move like Nasty Plot, it can be worth while.

But usually if you're just looking to do damage, you want Surf. Hydro Pump might do more damage than Surf but the accuracy is not as good.

2) if you only have one moveslot left, sometimes you want to choose between Surf or Ice Beam, because even though Surf gets same-type bonus, Ice Beam covers more types.

edit: why would you want to use Solarbeam outside of sunny day? The only feasilbe ways are to use a Groudon or have the monster hold the Power Herb item.
Really, you want other grass moves, like Grass Knot or Energy Ball, that wont cost you a turn and still do good damage.

Got my game this morning, clocked up about 5 hours on it so far, heading to my second badge, team so far is:

Totodile 16
Pidgey 16
Flaffy 16
Butterfree 15

Think I just entered the union cave, really enjoying the game and would have played more if I didnt have a night shift, going to get another 30 mins in on the train home :lol

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I just stomped the 3rd gym and would like you to Critique my team!
Quilava (21)
Raticate (20)
Pidgeotto (18)
Flaaffy (16)
Kadabra (19)
Onyx (13)
This is my first pokemon since yellow and would like advice on how to make my team better. Also, should I trade my Kadabra to get Alakazam right away, or should I level it up first, or does it not matter in terms of learned moves?

survivor

Banned
Spider from Mars said:
I just stomped the 3rd gym and would like you to Critique my team!
Quilava (21)
Raticate (20)
Pidgeotto (18)
Flaaffy (16)
Kadabra (19)
Onyx (13)
This is my first pokemon since yellow and would like advice on how to make my team better. Also, should I trade my Kadabra to get Alakazam right away, or should I level it up first, or does it not matter in terms of learned moves?
Alakzam learns Calm Mind at level 36 while Kadabara doesn't. So try to evolve before you hit that level to learn the move. Cause from level 1 to level 36, both Kadabara and Alakzam learn the same moves at the same levels.

Salaadin

GI_Josh87 said:
Is it integral to the game experience? Or can I safely pick this game up used without it?

Youll be fine if you never use it.

Is krabby/kingler good? I need a water type but dont really have the means of getting one right now.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
GI_Josh87 said:
Is it integral to the game experience? Or can I safely pick this game up used without it?
Its not required at all, but the thing is far more fun then it should be for what it has.

Salaadin said:
Youll be fine if you never use it.

Is krabby/kingler good? I need a water type but dont really have the means of getting one right now.
Forgot to get a fishing rod up on Route 32?

Chozo

GI_Josh87 said:

I'm guessing you need it for Surf, and on the special side Kingler isn't that great. It's got a pretty nice attack score though, and its signature move (Crabhammer) is a good physical water attack.

GI_Josh87

Neo Member
Thanks for the heads up on the pokewalker guys.

I also think people might look at a 22 year old man a little strange when he is walking around with a pokeball attached to his belt. :lol

I always thought of Kingler as a Normal/Bug type in a Water type's body. It's good without being ZOMG TOP TIER and depending on what you do with it, it can be pretty competitive.

Sort of like Pinsir, really.

Salaadin

Drkirby said:
Its not required at all, but the thing is far more fun then it should be for what it has.

Forgot to get a fishing rod up on Route 32?

I just got the good rod but cant catch a damn thing other than magikarp and krabby.

Echoes

Kicked Whitney's ass.

My team;

Quilava - 24
Togetic - 22
Vaporeon - 21
Ivysaur - 19
Gible - 22

Got Vaporeon from my Platinum, while both Bulba and Gible from GAF's Jokey (as an egg).

Awesome game. The poke-walker is addictive; I've walked for an hour and a half today >_>

Chozo

GI_Josh87 said:

I also think people might look at a 22 year old man a little strange when he is walking around with a pokeball attached to his belt. :lol

If you wear cargo pants like I do, just stick it in one of the lower pockets. All the extra Pokewhoring you can handle with none of the embarrassing social stigma!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
GI_Josh87 said:

Just put it in your pocket, thats what I have been doing.

Oh crap... I just realized that none of my team members can learn Ice type moves (except maybe Hidden Power). Claire is going to destroy me when I get to her. I'll probably have to power level some ice type.

Lkr

Echoes said:
Kicked Whitney's ass.

My team;

Quilava - 24
Togetic - 22
Vaporeon - 21
Ivysaur - 19
Gible - 22

Got Vaporeon from my Platinum, while both Bulba and Gible from GAF's Jokey (as an egg).

Awesome game. The poke-walker is addictive; I've walked for an hour and a half today >_>
how the hell did you get Togetic already? My level 16 Togepi refuses to evolve

Top Bottom