• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

survivor said:
My Wobuffet traps your Wobuffet. No one is willing to go through this scenario.

EDIT: oh sweet, I think I just became a member :D

Shadow Tag vs Shadow Tag was fixed this generation. Wobb vs Wobb is no longer a Struggle war to the death. The ability is canceled if both Pokemon out have it.

Like Varjet said, Shadow Tag + Encore is broken.

lol you can't switch and i can make you do one move over and over! if you attack me, i'll counter/mirror coat you to death! if you don't attack me, i'll switch to something to set up and sweep your team lol!

survivor

Banned
Little Green Yoda said:
Shadow Tag vs Shadow Tag was fixed this generation. Wobb vs Wobb is no longer a Struggle war to the death.

Like Varjet said, Shadow Tag + Encore is broken.

lol you can't switch and i can make you do one move over and over! if you attack me, i'll counter/mirror coat you to death! if you don't attack me, i'll switch to something to set up and sweep your team lol!
Huh, didn't know about that. I knew when it was tested in OU, it was quite annoying and broken, but I always thought the primary reason was the Shadow Tag vs Shadow Tag struggle war.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
DON'T FORGET! Today is Wednesday, which means the Hoenn Sound Pokemon will appear when you tune your Radio via Pokegear to the Pokemon March station. It's your chance to capture an adoring Absol and whimsical Whismur.

http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/hoennsinnoh.shtml

survivor said:
Huh, didn't know about that. I knew when it was tested in OU, it was quite annoying and broken, but I always thought the primary reason was the Shadow Tag vs Shadow Tag struggle war.

No, Shadow Tag is broken because it single handily destroys stall, and centralizes the tier like no other Pokemon. Wobbu traps a Blissey, and Encores Toxic/Flamethrower/Seismic Toss/Soft Boiled. User then switches in Scizor/Tyranitar/Rotom-H/any sweeper (depending on the move) and sweeps.

With the correct support, which he will receive from the top tier players, Wobbufett becomes the most broken and centralizing Pokemon in OU (as has been tested).

Monroeski said:
Because the item in question is only obtainable after getting 16 badges, which falls into the realm of 'postgame surprise'

On another note, I do not miss the slots at all. Hope Voltorb Flip is in every game after this one. So good:D

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Dreavus said:
Might be slightly OT, but do you guys ever nickname your pokemon?
First time round I leave the original names so I can learn them. Since HG and SS are remakes and I can hopefully rattle my brain for the names so this time I'll be giving my team nicknames.

OMG Aero

I always want to nickname my Pokemon whenever I start a new name, but I can never think of good enough original names so I just don't bother.

Gravijah

I never had the chance to play Crystal much but Eusine's theme is really awesome.

Edit: OK I really can't stand Lick/Night Shade anymore. Can someone give me a hand in transferring a TM from one game to the other?

Gravijah said:
I never had the chance to play Crystal much but Eusine's theme is really awesome.

Edit: OK I really can't stand Lick/Night Shade anymore. Can someone give me a hand in transferring a TM from one game to the other?

Have you considered using the hidden power TM? Base 75 power, good accuracy, and it plays off of Gastly/Haunter's absurdly good special attack. Won't really matter what type it ends up as.

Gravijah

Amibguous Cad said:
Have you considered using the hidden power TM? Base 75 power, good accuracy, and it plays off of Gastly/Haunter's absurdly good special attack. Won't really matter what type it ends up as.

That's a good idea, you're a genius! I just... haven't run into one yet. Where exactly do you get it? I'm at Ecruteak.

Edit: Wait, isn't the power on it varying?

HappyBivouac said:
It's not that hard to take a few hours and grind Gastly to 25, at which point he turns into a badass (haunter) and learns Shadow Punch.

Yeah yeah, but he's just NOW 21 and I don't want to make him outlevel everyone else... Baaaah! :lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Gravijah said:
That's a good idea, you're a genius! I just... haven't run into one yet. Where exactly do you get it? I'm at Ecruteak.

Edit: Wait, isn't the power on it varying?

Yeah yeah, but he's just NOW 21 and I don't want to make him outlevel everyone else... Baaaah! :lol

Yes, Hidden Power's strength and typing is decided by your IVs.

Lkr

EvilMario said:
DON'T FORGET! Today is Wednesday, which means the Hoenn Sound Pokemon will appear when you tune your Radio via Pokegear to the Pokemon March station. It's your chance to capture an adoring Absol and whimsical Whismur.

http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/hoennsinnoh.shtml

No, Shadow Tag is broken because it single handily destroys stall, and centralizes the tier like no other Pokemon. Wobbu traps a Blissey, and Encores Toxic/Flamethrower/Seismic Toss/Soft Boiled. User then switches in Scizor/Tyranitar/Rotom-H/any sweeper (depending on the move) and sweeps.

With the correct support, which he will receive from the top tier players, Wobbufett becomes the most broken and centralizing Pokemon in OU (as has been tested).
If you get an absol, could you try and get an extra for me?

upandaway

Looks like it's gonna be more fun to catch 'em all in this game than in Platinum. I may really forfeit all of the Pokemon obtainable in HGSS that I have on my Platinum save file, transfer the rest, and start anew with Platinum just to get rid of my nasty bug.

Axis said:
do you need the national dex to catch absol? i'd assume so
yes

thefil said:
Damn, I really wanted to get a Steel Coat.
Don't fret. Certain days at the Pokeathlon you can get Metal Coat, and west of the city with the burnt and tin towers, there're Magnemites that holds Metal Coat (8% i think)

YES Just caught a shiny Golbat!!

Shiny count is now up on 5! Tentacruel, Gyrados, Raichu, Pidgeot and Golbat!

woohoo!!

upandaway

Metroid Killer said:
YES Just caught a shiny Golbat!!

Shiny count is now up on 5! Tentacruel, Gyrados, Raichu, Pidgeot and Golbat!

woohoo!!
Well fuck, congrats, you just got the pre-evolution of the best shiny in the game (edit: alright, upon seeing my avatar, second best).

Is there a PokeRadar in this game too? Else how did you get so many?

upandaway said:
Well fuck, congrats, you just got the pre-evolution of the best shiny in the game (edit: alright, upon seeing my avatar, second best).

Is there a PokeRadar in this game too? Else how did you get so many?
Luck I guess? Well Gyrados is the one from Lake of Rage, and the Raichu is just the evolved Pikachu-Colered-Pichu. So I've found 3 shinies myself... 1 for every 100 hours I've spent on this game...

Crobat the best shiny?

OMG Aero

Metroid Killer said:
Luck I guess? Well Gyrados is the one from Lake of Rage, and the Raichu is just the evolved Pikachu-Colered-Pichu. So I've found 3 shinies myself... 1 for every 100 hours I've spent on this game...

Crobat the best shiny?
I wish it worked like that.
I spent 500 hours on Platinum and never found a single shiny on it.

upandaway

Metroid Killer said:

Crobat the best shiny?
Well, second best shiny. Fabulous.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wasn't even able to get the shiny Gyarados that the game practically throws on your lap. :/ I don't think I've ever gotten a shiny actually...

Gravijah

Andrex said:
I wasn't even able to get the shiny Gyarados that the game practically throws on your lap. :/ I don't think I've ever gotten a shiny actually...

What? :lol

JSnake said:

Anytime, anytime. I'm usually around WiFi so if anyone ever needs anything gimme a PM.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Actually wait. I think I did get a shiny, but it was one of Sinnoh's really common ones.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Playing SS made me want to find my old Pokemon games, looked yesterday and only found my RBY in a carrier thing with my (yellow!) GBC.

I found my Gold/Silver/Crystal copies today.. but the saves are gone on G/S and I never did get far on Crystal. :( I think the Gold cart is probably worn down, took me several tries to get it past the "Game Boy" splash. Sometimes where it was supposed to say "Nintendo" under it there was just random pixels. Ah well. Still have the memories. I want to find my guides too.

Also found my Sapphire and Emerald. I sure did abuse the hell out of Action Replay back then :lol Can't find my Ruby, Leaf Green, or Fire Red though. Ruby...though I'd like to find it I'm not really too worried because I also abused the hell out of my AR on that too. Not much actual effort lost. LG/FR I want to find/play though, never did get too far on them. I know I have both (at first I thought I might've never bought them and was just confusing LG and Emerald. It's been awhile.) because I have two of the GBA wireless connector things.

Pokemon is always going to be my weakness. Gold was the first game I ever played "seriously" (meaning not mashing random buttons) and I've loved the series ever since. I'm probably going to buy (not all at once of course) HG, Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum sometime in the future. I never played D/P/Pl because when they came out I was too occupied by the PS3/360 but I should really get to playing them. :lol Probably an obvious question but Platinum is the superior version of the 3 new
to me
DS games right?

isny

napkin dispenser
Gravijah said:
Hey a shiny is a shiny. The only one I've ever caught is a stupid ass Weepinbell.

I only have the Pichu and the Gyrados.

I'm assuming they do sparkle when you find one right? Or do you have to just tell by the color?

JSnake said:
Anyone wanna help me evolve my Kadabra? :)

0002 5510 9942

Get this done yet?

Gravijah

Aigis said:
Playing SS made me want to find my old Pokemon games, looked yesterday and only found my RBY in a carrier thing with my (yellow!) GBC.

I found my Gold/Silver/Crystal copies today.. but the saves are gone on G/S and I never did get far on Crystal. :( I think the Gold cart is probably worn down, took me several tries to get it past the "Game Boy" splash. Sometimes where it was supposed to say "Nintendo" under it there was just random pixels. Ah well. Still have the memories. I want to find my guides too.

Also found my Sapphire and Emerald. I sure did abuse the hell out of Action Replay back then :lol Can't find my Ruby, Leaf Green, or Fire Red though. Ruby...though I'd like to find it I'm not really too worried because I also abused the hell out of my AR on that too. Not much actual effort lost. LG/FR I want to find/play though, never did get too far on them. I know I have both (at first I thought I might've never bought them and was just confusing LG and Emerald. It's been awhile.) because I have two of the GBA wireless connector things.

Pokemon is always going to be my weakness. Gold was the first game I ever played "seriously" (meaning not mashing random buttons) and I've loved the series ever since. I'm probably going to buy (not all at once of course) HG, Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum sometime in the future. I never played D/P/Pl because when they came out I was too occupied by the PS3/360 but I should really get to playing them. :lol Probably an obvious question but Platinum is the superior version of the 3 new
to me
DS games right?

Platinum is the superior version of Diamond/Pearl.

isny said:
I only have the Pichu and the Gyrados.

I'm assuming they do sparkle when you find one right? Or do you have to just tell by the color?

Get this done yet?

They shimmer and make a noise.

seems that the shiny enounter rate is higher than d/p/pt. That's nice.

well, 4 hrs in, 3 badges, and 971w.

current team / level:

quilava / 26
staryu / 15
geodude / 6
sentret ("Tail") / 5
flaafy ("Wattson") / 6
Togepi / daycare
Pidgey / 8, on walker

isny

napkin dispenser
My team so far btw. (at the radio station taking it back yo)

35 Mew - Fly/Mega Punch/Psychic/Metronome
34 Jirachi - Rest/Draco Meteor/Psychic/Flash Cannon
33 Kangaskhan - Surf/Strength/Crunch/Headbutt
34 Feraligatr - Ice Fang/Surf/Blizzard/Crunch
33 Gyrados - Bite/Dragon Rage/Leer/Ice Fang
32 Pichu (spiky eared) - Thunder/Volt Tackle/Attract/Pain Split

This is my first time actually leveling the whole team as opposed to just 2-3, so any feedback would be appreciated. =)

(Yes I still need to go get the dogs that are running around, and will get Lugia once I'm out of the radio station)

survivor said:
My Wobuffet traps your Wobuffet. No one is willing to go through this scenario.

EDIT: oh sweet, I think I just became a member :D

Shadow Tag no longer works against Shadow Tag Pokemon, preventing said situation.

However,Wobbuffet could be EV'ed to be faster than most walls. He could encore any of their non-attacking moves, switch out, and then you got a free stat boost, or you could defeat their wall by encoring it if it ever used an attacking move, or you could fake that you were going to stat boost, switch Wobbuffet into their intended counter, and defeat it with Counter/Mirror Coat. It led to some incredibly broken combinations, and it was uncounterable because of Shadow Tag.

Also I am still looking for a leaf stone. Does anyone have spares?

Lkr

Gravijah said:
Would you mind doing the same for me in return? :)
sure. is there any reason to need both Pichus btw? Are they exactly the same except one is spiky eared?

And I can't do it right this second, I'll PM you in about half an hour if thats okay

Gravijah

Lkr said:
sure. is there any reason to need both Pichus btw? Are they exactly the same except one is spiky eared?

And I can't do it right this second, I'll PM you in about half an hour if thats okay

It's just a cool special Pichu to have. No real reason from what I remember, maybe a special move? And alright, I'll be here.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Now that I'm right before the Elite 4 I've decided to trade over Jirachi, Houndoom and Tauros. I'm resetting for a decent Ho-Oh though, without RNGing it, so it may take a little time..

isny

napkin dispenser
Gravijah said:
It's just a cool special Pichu to have. No real reason from what I remember, maybe a special move? And alright, I'll be here.

From speculation, the spiky eared one is from the future, so he'll be important at some point for a future event.

Oh wow, the route to Cianwood is destroying me. A level 25 Tentacruel decided to attack me and killed 4/6ths of my team. Then I faced a dude with two Gyarados.

This can't be a good sign. I've never struggled against wild Pokemon.

Gravijah said:
Wow Morty ate me alive. :/

I crushed his Gengar no problem, (He used mean look on Fearow, a Pokemon he couldn't hit at all) but his dream eater/nightmare haunter gave me no end of trouble. Finished that gym with 4 pokemon asleep.

I think my problem is trying to raise too many pokemon at once, and using several that don't come into their power until really late. I transferred trapinch and larvitar eggs over (among other things), but they're still in their first forms and falling behind on the power curve.

Gravijah

HiddenWings said:
I crushed his Gengar no problem, (He used mean look on Fearow, a Pokemon he couldn't hit at all) but his dream eater/nightmare haunter gave me no end of trouble. Finished that gym with 4 pokemon asleep.

I think my problem is trying to raise too many pokemon at once, and using several that don't come into their power until really late. I transferred trapinch and larvitar eggs over (among other things), but they're still in their first forms and falling behind on the power curve.

MAN I JUST BEAT HIM AND IT WAS EPIIIIIIIIIC

Just so you guys know, here's my current team (after a few levels from the gym battle):

Slowpoke 24
Quilava 25
Flaafy 23
Gastly 21

Slowpoke was way too slow, so after taking care of his Gastly, I'd end up sleeped/nightmared by the evil evil Haunter... But THIS time, I ended up getting paralyzed by the first Gastly, meaning I couldn't get put to sleep. I used that to take down the first Haunter... then comes Gengar. He can two shot most of my Pokemon, so I started with Flaafy, paralyzing him, and then getting another Thundershock in. I somehow managed to take him down after he kills everyone but Gastly and Quilava. I sacrifice Gastly with curse so I have some periodic damage going on the final Haunter, and luckily, I end up taking him down.

Top Bottom