• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

ryan-ts said:
LET ME SAY IT ONCE MORE, I WANT ME A GOD DAMN FUCKING WATER STONE. FUCK THIS GAME FOR NOT GIVING ME ONE BEFORE THE ELITE 4.

My Staryu, who I've trained since level 10 or so, is near useless at level 40 now against the Elite 4. Such bullshit.

No I'm not really angry, just a little ticked off
There's a Water Stone for 2500 Pts. today(wednesday) at the pokeathlon. It's the only place(and day) where you can get a Water Stone pre National Dex.

Diffense

Hero said:
I totally fucking forgot how much of a pain in the ass it is to get TMs of Ice Beam and Thunderbolt. There any ways to dupe them?

If you have DP just get rich and buy them for coins in Veilstone.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Metroid Killer said:
There's a Water Stone for 2500 Pts. today(wednesday) at the pokeathlon. It's the only place(and day) where you can get a Water Stone pre National Dex.

Really? There's no store that carries them? Man, that sucks.

Eteric Rice

Unicorn said:
Can we no longer decorate our rooms? How very depressing. One of the most charming aspects, cut...

If I were to make an attempt to mail "The Pokemon Company," whom I think makes the Pokemon games... Do you think they'd be able to understand english?

The reason I ask is because there are features of Pokemon that have always bothered the hell out of me, and I would like to express those things to the makers of the games. :|

I'm at Mahogany Town.

Just beat Team Rocket at the hideout.
Have exactly 14 hours of playtime on the game.

Bayleef Lv29, Houndoom Lv31, Ampharos Lv30, Togetic Lv26

kzn

Neo Member
i have to say, while voltorb flip is certainly more engaging than spamming a "gamble" button, its still boring enough to make this a retarded grind

Unicorn

Crewnh said:
What? Really? I loved how Mom would always buy me new shit for my room.

Goddamn it Game Freak.
Whole reason I let her take some of my money so willingly this time around, but I get nothing but berries and non-stop nagging phone calls.

What happened to you mother? Ten years ago you used to love me.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I'm not sure how soon all of you found kangaskhan on your poke walkers, but would anyone be so kind as to breed me one? I don't have a ton of rare stuff on my soul silver file but my platinum file is pretty well endowed. Just let me know what you might want.

FootNinja said:
I'm not sure how soon all of you found kangaskhan on your poke walkers, but would anyone be so kind as to breed me one? I don't have a ton of rare stuff on my soul silver file but my platinum file is pretty well endowed. Just let me know what you might want.
But it's on the very first PokeWalker course... it's only 2250 steps if you use the correct elemental type and it's even common. It doesn't get easier than this when talking about Pokewalker!

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Metroid Killer said:
But it's on the very first PokeWalker course... it's only 2250 steps if you use the correct elemental type and it's even common. It doesn't get easier than this when talking about Pokewalker!
Yea I just read up on the paths/types ect. Trying for him now.

Dreavus

Might be slightly OT, but do you guys ever nickname your pokemon? I've made a habit of nicknaming every single one that I catch, regardless of whether or not I plan on actually using it. Usually I just use a name of another character from other media, name them based on what they look like or what they can do, or name them as part of a joke. I haven't picked up Gold yet but I plan on doing the same when I get around to this game. I was looking through my PC box in Diamond recently and came across names that I had forgotten I had used.

A few examples:

Tentacool named Winkles (reference to Calamari from TimeSplitters 3 :D )
Chancey named Poached (obvious reasons)
Machop named Rookie (compared to his evos I always felt like he was a shrimp)
Gengar named Eliphas (40k fans may recognize the name)
Alakazam named Neugog (Name of a super intelligent brain-eating monster from a really old cartoon, I think Men in Black? Seems to fit :lol )
Staraptor named Shrike (they're... both birds?)

Does anyone else do this at all? As horrifically cliche as it sounds, I feel like this makes each pokemon a little bit more unique. Everyone who I've talked to personally (who has played the games) doesn't seem to bother, but I always take the time to think up a name for anything that gets captured. Ultimately it's useless but it's certainly made it more hilarious going through my boxes again. :lol

Honestly guys, is this worth it? I'm still on the fence with this and Infinite Space. I can get one and wait to get the next one later.

I'm thinking about getting IS first because it's more niche and pick up Pokemon later on. Since I know there will still be tons of Pokemons at every store known to man while IS will go into obscurity like Sands of Destruction did.

Is Pokemon good?

Delio

I nickname all my main pokes! Like currently in game i am rocking.
Starmie/Poseidon
Aggron/Hephaes
Noctowl/Artemis
Ampharos/Zeus
Typhlosion/Ares
and Ursaring/Athena

I'm sure people know those names lol. I like naming them gives them a bit of a personal touch. (despite the names you come up not being unique all the time).

Hylian7

I am currently climbing the lighthouse in Olivine city. My team consists of Quilava, Gastly, Quagsire, Noctowl, Flaafy, and Ekans.

I had an amazing moment when I was fighting Morty. I got through his first Gastly pretty quickly, then he sent out his Gengar. That thing went through 3 of my Pokemon in a few turns. It used Sucker Punch and hit my Hoothoot bringing it down to 8HP. Then I noticed that it wasn't using Sucker Punch anymore for some reason. It was only using Hypnosis, which just put Hoothoot to sleep, Shadow Ball, which didn't affect it, and Mean Look, which it already used on my Hoothoot right off the bat. Figuring out this, I used Peck constantly, as it was the only damaging move my Hoothoot had. During a few turns, I used the 1 Revive I had and a Super Potion to bring back my Ekans (who knew Bite, which would definitely help). Eventually, Gengar ran out of PP and had to use Struggle. This took my Hoothoot down, but the recoil damage took Gengar with it! I then sent out my Ekans and finished the battle using bite, and using Curse with my Gastly.

Dreavus said:
Might be slightly OT, but do you guys ever nickname your pokemon? I've made a habit of nicknaming every single one that I catch, regardless of whether or not I plan on actually using it. Usually I just use a name of another character from other media, name them based on what they look like or what they can do, or name them as part of a joke. I haven't picked up Gold yet but I plan on doing the same when I get around to this game. I was looking through my PC box in Diamond recently and came across names that I had forgotten I had used.

A few examples:

Tentacool named Winkles (reference to Calamari from TimeSplitters 3 :D )
Chancey named Poached (obvious reasons)
Machop named Rookie (compared to his evos I always felt like he was a shrimp)
Gengar named Eliphas (40k fans may recognize the name)
Alakazam named Neugog (Name of a super intelligent brain-eating monster from a really old cartoon, I think Men in Black? Seems to fit :lol )
Staraptor named Shrike (they're... both birds?)

Does anyone else do this at all? As horrifically cliche as it sounds, I feel like this makes each pokemon a little bit more unique. Everyone who I've talked to personally (who has played the games) doesn't seem to bother, but I always take the time to think up a name for anything that gets captured. Ultimately it's useless but it's certainly made it more hilarious going through my boxes again. :lol

Normally I only nickname my starter then like the first 2 I catch, but this time I am doing them all:

Ponyta = Apollo(self-explanatory if you know Greek mythology)
Gastly = Pontiris(random name I came up with at the time)
Bayleef = Robby(my female boss Robi got Chikorita when we had our Pokemon tournament on Sunday, so when I chose Chikorita and it was male I named it Robby)
Nidoran|MALE| = Silver(back in the day, my favorite Pokemon was my level 78 Nidoking)
Flaafy = Mary(cause it was a female Mareep)
Ratata = MissyEliot(because Ratata sounds like one of the sounds from Work It)

Balb

Advice from someone who rushed through the game:

Do not face Red unless your team is really, really good

He's not a pushover like in the original g/s.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Holy shit new Gaf forum!

Anyway, does this mean HM slaves will take up three spaces instead of two? DPPt only needed Bibarel and Skarmory.

Chozo

Ookami-kun said:
Holy shit new Gaf forum!

Anyway, does this mean HM slaves will take up three spaces instead of two? DPPt only needed Bibarel and Skarmory.

I've gotten by pretty well so far with Miltank (Surf/Whirlpool/Strength/Rock Smash) and Farfetch'd (Fly/Cut). Plus, for most world travel in Johto you only need Surf for most of the game.

Yeah I always make sure that my main pokemons know surf/fly(luckily I have both moves in my team). Then I usually only have one HM slave, max two at tricky places.

kzn

Neo Member
FUCK YOU VOLTORB FLIP NEVER PLAYING AGAIN

now that i have thunderbolt i can get on with the actual game

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Yea after a shit ton of tried, I cant get kangaskhan. I seem to only attract doduo, and watch when I finally get khan, I will lose.

Not a fan of the poke catching in the poke walker. :\

takes a bit too long to build up watts, only to have them swallowed up by 1 and 2 exclamation point pokes, then you finally get the 3 and its a damn doduo.

Gravijah

FootNinja said:
Yea after a shit ton of tried, I cant get kangaskhan. I seem to only attract doduo, and watch when I finally get khan, I will lose.

takes a bit too long to build up watts, only to have them swallowed up by 1 and 2 exclamation point pokes, then you finally get the 3 and its a damn doduo.

I'm sick so the only thing I can do is shake the Pokerwalker. :/

FootNinja said:

Takes a bit of getting used to I guess. I always make sure to have at least 200 watts for when taking on Rare or Very Rare pokemon, but common and uncommon are pretty straightforward, don't think I've wasted more than 30 watts on one.

Gravijah

Metroid Killer said:
Takes a bit of getting used to I guess. I always make sure to have at least 200 watts for when taking on Rare or Very Rare pokemon, but common and uncommon are pretty straightforward, don't think I've wasted more than 30 watts on one.

Not to bother about it, but what exactly does that old man in the Pokeathlon do? He wanted me to jump 1000 times yesterday.

Gravijah

Metroid Killer said:
lol wut? Which old man? On the balcony? Or the old man who owns the place?

I'm... not sure. He was at the bottom left, and he wanted to know if I wanted to hear about the dream he had last night. :lol

Gravijah said:
I'm... not sure. He was at the bottom left, and he wanted to know if I wanted to hear about the dream he had last night. :lol
Wow wtf. I talked to the guy. So in the japanese version he also rambles about his dream about jumping and apparantly I had jumped 998 times!! Only 2 jumps left he says!

Then he gives me a rare candy and tells me that he just became a fan of me(wtf? :lol ). Now he only rambles about how he's rooting for me... it seems like he forgot that I'm still two jumps away from 1000...

I have no idea what kinda of 1000 jumps though? Probably just the accumulated jumps from the jumps disciplines... I'll try to see if I'll get 1000+ jumps if I try one more time.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Little Green Yoda said:
Give Kakuna a read.
The best part about this one is that it originated from a troll thread. Some wiseguy decided to post a complete joke of a Kakuna "analysis" in their serious metagame strategy review subforum or what have you, and the general reaction was ".....This is too good. Put it up!"

Gravijah

Metroid Killer said:
Wow wtf. I talked to the guy. So in the japanese version he also rambles about his dream about jumping and apparantly I had jumped 998 times!! Only 2 jumps left he says!

Then he gives me a rare candy and tells me that he just became a fan of me(wtf? :lol ). Now he only rambles about how he's rooting for me... it seems like he forgot that I'm still two jumps away from 1000...

I have no idea what kinda of 1000 jumps though? Probably just the accumulated jumps from the jumps disciplines... I'll try to see if I'll get 1000+ jumps if I try one more time.

In the US version, he talks about how he once hit 998 jumps as a youngin' and how he was two away from 1000, then he asks you to do that. You must have already hit 1000... I figure it's cumulative jumps from all the times you have jumped or something. Not really sure.

Ondore

I don't usually nickname my Pokemon but I did for this run - my character is named Kallen (think Code Geass) so all of my battling Pokemon are named after mechs, and my catching Butterfree is named after the main weapon designer.

Oh, and I named my Slowpoke "Kotaku" but doesn't everyone do that?

Gravijah said:
In the US version, he talks about how he once hit 998 jumps as a youngin' and how he was two away from 1000, then he asks you to do that. You must have already hit 1000... I figure it's cumulative jumps from all the times you have jumped or something. Not really sure.
Ah ok, I must have misunderstood the text then. I have played at the Pokeathlon a whole lot, so it wouldn't surprise me if I indeed did jump 1000 times, though I would have liked something else than a rare candy -_-

ReiGun

I'm making my way slowly buy surely through the adventure. Just go to Goldenrod City. Avoiding "The M-Tank" for now to level up my team. Thinking of making some switches, namely switching Mareep and Venonat for something else, probably Magikarp and Vulpix.

ivysaur12

Banned
Just got to work with my Pokewalker... This should be a good distraction.

Also, I guess everyone's names aren't entirely capitalized this time? I wish someone had told me so I wouldn't have looked liked the only tool in the game who did :-/

Gravijah

ivysaur12 said:
Just got to work with my Pokewalker... This should be a good distraction.

Also, I guess everyone's names aren't entirely capitalized this time? I wish someone had told me so I wouldn't have looked liked the only tool in the game who did :-/

Hey JEFF. How are you doing JEFF?

Gravijah

ivysaur12 said:
I love that! So badass. And anyways, all of the Pokemon have their names capitalized. I don't want to be "Tyler and his CHIKORITA", I want to be "TYLER and his CHIKORITA".

Hahaha, I've always capitalized my character name normally, but I like how the Pokemon names are in all caps. I hope THAT part is never changed. The little things! :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How difficult is the Japanese language in the Japanese version? My son has asked to get this, and I was thinking to offer him the Japanese version to push his reading/vocabulary skills (he's Japanese/English bilingual but his english is much better so that's the version he'd prefer)

he knows some Kanji and all Kana/Hiragana (I'd assume this is furigana anyway), so its more a question of how 'old' is the vocabulary

Gravijah

mrklaw said:
How difficult is the Japanese language in the Japanese version? My son has asked to get this, and I was thinking to offer him the Japanese version to push his reading/vocabulary skills (he's Japanese/English bilingual but his english is much better so that's the version he'd prefer)

he knows some Kanji and all Kana/Hiragana (I'd assume this is furigana anyway), so its more a question of how 'old' is the vocabulary

cvxfreak said:
When I played Pokemon games as a kid, particular segments of the games (like a town or a dungeon) seemed to take forever. Now, combined with the faster engine and changing senses of time as one ages, I find that the game is going by very quickly for me. I'm sailing to Cianwood City after only 4 hours of gameplay. That said, I did sell my Japanese version a few months ago because I would rather play the game in English (being an all Kana game doesn't help), but the game is going by unbelievably, yet favorably fast. I used to have more time that let me appreciate Pokemon games as broad experiences, but now I only play for the main adventure itself. In that sense, Gold/Silver always had the best adventure, while I never liked the Sinnoh journey much.

Not sure how much that helps as I know nothing on Japanese.

mrklaw said:

It's easy to understand. I'm at my third year studying japanese and I understand pretty much all of it, there are occasionally where I don't quite get the mood of the dialoque and I'm sure there are a lot of jokes that run over my head, but otherwise it's quite simple. And I have learned a lot of new words like 'wild' 'attack' etc. :D

It's all kana btw, which was a bitch in the beginning, but with an electronic dictionary beside you (or even google translate) it's not a problem.

It's not a heavy text based rpg adventure, even if you don't understand japanese, it should be pretty easy to get all the functions down.

ivysaur12

Banned
I wonder what a R/S remake would be like. They were definitely the worst recepted by fans at large, so they would need to do a major overhaul of some parts.

I also hope that Gen V implaments some of the initial changes to the battle system that they were contemplating in Gen III.

I'm up to around 2000 steps, but since you can't turn the volume down I'm worried about trying to catch something :lol

Top Bottom