• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
survivor said:
Why didn't you get rid of Tackle for Headbutt? And is Swift a special move? If it is then use it instead of Quick Attack.
Not sure, but will that guy who teaches it to you be able to do it again? But yeah Swift is a special move.
Gravijah said:
Get rid of tackle if you're unsure, though in the end make sure you only have one attack of each type. I know my Quilava is built similarly now, though.
Yeah, I've just been confused since reading the competitive posts. Kinda kills my buzz when I worry about that now. :lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
InfiniteNine said:
What happens to be better Swift or Quick Attack? My Quilava just leveled up and unsure if I should keep my current setup of Tackle, Quick Attack, Flame Wheel and Ember.

It depends. Swift goes off of Quilava's better Special Attack, but it does NOT have priority like Quick Attack. Swift's feature is it will never miss, ever. I would replace Tackle with it, because Tackle is basically an inferior less accurate Quick Attack.

survivor

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
Not sure, but will that guy who teaches it to you be able to do it again? But yeah Swift is a special move.

Yeah, I've just been confused since reading the competitive posts. Kinda kills my buzz when I worry about that now. :lol
Ya he teaches the move again to any Pokemon. On a second thought just replace Tackle with Swift. Quick Attack might be helpful if you ever need to get an attack first before the other Pokemon.

ivysaur12 said:
Can someone inform the technologically un-savvy what this means?
It's a type of security you put on your WiFi. The DS Lite didn't support it, but the DSi does. Now I have a DSi, and I still can't use it because HG/SS doesn't support it. What a fucking joke.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Gravijah said:
That's my plan! Unless the DS2 is announced at E3... then I'm fucked.
Yeah I might hold off for a DS2 if the rumors start kicking up. I just bought a new 360 Elite last month to replace my old 360 and now there's rumors of a Slim 360. :lol I don't want to buy another system that will be outdated after I buy it for the rest of this year at least.

Blu_LED said:
I can't believe this. It's fucking 2010. We finally get the system to support it, but it's biggest game doesn't.

Please tell me I'm missing something.
Game Freak are firmly stuck in the past. If you'll remember, DP didn't have drag and drop Pokemon box functionality, touchscreen main menus or the ability to add and remove monsters from your team at the same time and their game ran at like 10fps. I'm not surprised at this in the slightest.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that in order to use WPA2-PSK, you'd have to go outside the standard DS functionality/spec anyway, forcing HGSS to be a DSi-enhanced game if it ever had any hope of using this feature. That is to say, without making the game DSi-enhanced, there's no way for the game to even use the WPA2-PSK system calls.

Fusebox

Banned
Blu_LED said:
It's a type of security you put on your WiFi. The DS Lite didn't support it, but the DSi does. Now I have a DSi, and I still can't use it because HG/SS doesn't support it. What a fucking joke.

Serious? I haven't tried connecting my DSiLL to my wifi network yet but I knew it supported WPA2. What I didn't know was that game devs could choose not to let WPA2 be used for their game, that's crazy. Don't Nintendo have some list of standards that must be met by game devs?

Fusebox said:
Serious? I haven't tried connecting my DSiLL to my wifi network yet but I knew it supported WPA2. What I didn't know was that game devs could choose not to let WPA2 be used for their game, that's crazy. Don't Nintendo have some list of standards that must be met by game devs?
They do. Problem is that if they're working to the DS spec and the DS spec only, they can't use DSi-specific features, like the better WiFi hardware, the extra RAM/processor speed or the camera.

thefil said:
Games can be DSi-enhanced without being DSi exclusive. I would also have liked proper modern wireless support.
That's a suckers' game too, you know. DSi-enhanced games are region locked. So if you bought a JP DSi-enhanced HG and tried to play it on a US DSi, it wouldn't work. You'd need to play it on a regular DS instead (and be stuck with crap encryption anyway).

thefil

I find I'm really hard pressed to stick with a party this time around. I'm just so enthralled by the game and so excited with nostalgia that I'm constantly switching.

Have four badges and current party is Croconaw/Togepi/Beedrill/Onix/Vulpix/Nidoking but I've already dropped Pidgeotto, Exeggcutor and Ledian. I'm likely to switch my party more before the next badge and have to spend more time grinding.

Having a blast though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Blu_LED said:
Please tell me I'm missing something.

Uh, those of us that don't give a shit about the DSi (as it's IMO a minor upgrade that takes away too many pros for me) with the exception of it giving out WPA?

Frankly, it's bizzare how they can't update the Wifi online software to support WPA. You'd think it's a game-by-game basis as the base DS/Lite (IIRC) doesn't have any such software in the firmware so it has to be put on the cart.

Meanwhile: When does the Pokewalker shit unlock? I turned on the Pokewalker thinking I could just start counting steps and put a Pokemon on it later but nooo...

Just beat Falkner's gym, but I haven't gotten the option to Pokewalk a Pokemon. :(

Also, when can I do the Jirachi/Ruins of Alph event? I took my Jirachi there before the gym and after the gym and no legendary. I guess I have to beat the game? Same for the Pichu event? :(

vid

TheSeks said:
Just beat Falkner's gym, but I haven't gotten the option to Pokewalk a Pokemon. :(

The option becomes available as soon as you can deposit a pokemon into a PC box. Just check the main menu (New Game, Continue, and so on...) and "Connect to PokeWalker" should be an option. The rest is explained in game.

EzLink

Banned
My friend said he got his mareep to lvl 10 via the pokewalker, and because of that he never learned thundershock. Is there a way to learn moves if something like that happens? Seems like a pretty inconvenient oversight if not

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
vid said:
The option becomes available as soon as you can deposit a pokemon into a PC box. Just check the main menu (New Game, Continue, and so on...) and "Connect to PokeWalker" should be an option. The rest is explained in game.

You have to restart the game though. Took me a while to figure that one out. :lol (Just had been playing straight through.)

Beat Jasmine. Making a detour at the Safari Zone. I'm going to try and get all my team members to level 30 before Pryce.

Are there any Ice type Pokemon I can capture before Clair? There's no way I'll beat her without a decent Ice type move.

Also where do I get Strength?

cvxfreak

Finally defeated all eight gym leaders, the Kimono Girls and captured Lugia. Definitely feeling ready to challenge the Elite 4 and Pokemon Champion.

I've only raised my Feraligatr (Lv. 56) the whole game, but it's worked for me so far. He's got Crunch, Surf, Agility and Ice Fang. Not a great moveset, but diverse enough for the game's main adventure. Lugia should be a decent back up. My idea is basically to bring over the midrange Pokemon I raised in Platinum last year rather than raise a completely new set. I'm interested more for the adventure than for the commitment to raising a good Pokemon team anyway.

Subitai said:
I'm thinking of getting back into the grind, what are the advantages of getting these games over Platinum?

Faster battles (faster than Diamond, slightly faster than Platinum)
Better menu interface
16 Badges
Remakes of what can arguably be called the best games in the series
You can fight Red (Protagonist from the first game)
Pokewalker
Johto and Kanto
Great new Safari Zone that you can customize
Bug Catching Contest
Voltorb Flip (It isn't that great, except it is because you will feel compelled to play it for hours despite how frustrating it is)

I could go on...

Boney

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Finally defeated all eight gym leaders, the Kimono Girls and captured Lugia. Definitely feeling ready to challenge the Elite 4 and Pokemon Champion.

I've only raised my Feraligatr (Lv. 56) the whole game, but it's worked for me so far. He's got Crunch, Surf, Agility and Ice Fang. Not a great moveset, but diverse enough for the game's main adventure. Lugia should be a decent back up. My idea is basically to bring over the midrange Pokemon I raised in Platinum last year rather than raise a completely new set. I'm interested more for the adventure than for the commitment to raising a good Pokemon team anyway.
Wait, why did you just got the game? You are japanese right?

Anyway, I've been playing this nonstop, but I just got stumped. I have to beat Jasmine now, and I realized I don't have any pokemon that can hold it's own against steel. I have:
Croconaw, Kadabra, Haunter, Flaafy, Bellsprout with cut, and flying thingy.

I had caught a Magmar lvl 16 and raised it to 20, but it's so boring to grind in this game. And I also have a lvl 20 geoudude. I guess my best bet is to get both around 25 I guess. It seems my choice with silver finally bit me in the ass with no Growlithe.

Now that I think about it, can anybody trade me a Growlithe?

cvxfreak

I really hope the developers stick to the two-region ideology for the next generation of Pokemon games. I think rather than remake RSE, they should place the post-adventure region in Hoenn and continue that region's plotlines with Team Aqua/Magma and its protagonists. The Johto portion of HGSS has taken me less than 8 hours, and I can't imagine the next adventure being substantially longer. I could forgive the lack of a second region in RSE because of the engine upgrades it offered, and I would rather have HGSS than a second region DPPt, but next gen there are few excuses.

Boney said:
Wait, why did you just got the game? You are japanese right?

I did buy the Japanese Soul Silver last September and got up to the 5th gym. While I do understand Japanese (passed JLPT2) and can read Pokemon games perfectly (I live in Tokyo but I'm American), the names of the Pokemon are different, and I find the lack of Kanji a pain to read, so I decided to just sell that one and grab the US Soul Silver. There's a certain charm to playing the game in English (IMO), having always done so until now.

cvxfreak said:
I really hope the developers stick to the two-region ideology for the next generation of Pokemon games. I think rather than remake RSE, they should place the post-adventure region in Hoenn and continue that region's plotlines with Team Aqua/Magma and its protagonists. The Johto portion of HGSS has taken me less than 8 hours, and I can't imagine the next adventure being substantially longer. I could forgive the lack of a second region in RSE because of the engine upgrades it offered, and I would rather have HGSS than a second region DPPt, but next gen there are few excuses.
Kanto in the original GS was a fluke - the result of Nintendo repeatedly delaying the title to allow the franchise breathing room in the US and other territories. Game Freak had all this extra time and they spent it updating Kanto. They also expected GS to be the final games before the popularity of the franchise waned and they moved onto something else.

We probably won't ever get two regions ever again.

TheSeks

vid said:

Ah, I see. I've been playing for hours straight until my DS battery died so I didn't know that. :lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I have a few bred Charmander rejects (and otherwise, one was for Tyranitar Dragon Dance breeding) left over, and one I was going to use for PBR Little Cup if anyone wants them.

One is Belly Drum, one is Swords Dance (with Flare Blitz, Aerial Ace, Shadow Claw), and the other is Dragon Dance. Code is 2793 6743 0025. First come, first serve. I don't want anything precious in return, I just figure some of you would like them. PM me with the one you want and your Pal Pad Code.

TheSeks

EvilMario said:
I have a few bred Charmander rejects (and otherwise, one was for Tyranitar Dragon Dance breeding) left over, and one I was going to use for PBR Little Cup if anyone wants them.

One is Belly Drum, one is Swords Dance (with Flare Blitz, Aerial Ace, Shadow Claw), and the other is Dragon Dance. Code is 2793 6743 0025. First come, first serve. I don't want anything precious in return, I just figure some of you would like them. PM me with the one you want and your Pal Pad Code.

What's the stats of a Charmander rejects? I've been wanting to play the remake with a Charmander but that means having to breed my Charizard. :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
TheSeks said:
What's the stats of a Charmander rejects? I've been wanting to play the remake with a Charmander but that means having to breed my Charizard. :(

They're all level 1. The one with Belly Drum is Adamant, the Dragon Dance one is Timid (lolz), and the Swords Dance one is Jolly. Since they're level 1 I don't know their IVs, but these guys were probably some of the last before I got my 'good' IVs for the final Charizard. Too lazy to check as well.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
How hard is it to find an Abra on Route 34 and 35 at night? I've encountered like 20 different pokes and not one abra.

Harpuia

GAH, Happiness has to be the most annoying thing in Pokemon games. Let's see...soothe bell, vitamins, and feeding it aprijuice helps a bit. Is there anything else that will make increasing happiness easier? D: I want my Crobat and Espeon nao. :mad:

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Harpuia said:
GAH, Happiness has to be the most annoying thing in Pokemon games. Let's see...soothe bell, vitamins, and feeding it aprijuice helps a bit. Is there anything else that will make increasing happiness easier? D: I want my Crobat and Espeon nao. :mad:

Walk with it. It gains happiness from battling, and leveling up. And loses some if it faints.

Harpuia

EvilMario said:
Walk with it. It gains happiness from battling, and leveling up. And loses some if it faints.

Does taking it along in the pokewalker help at all? Eevee is a horribly useless pokemon.

Boney

Banned
EvilMario said:

PM'd you.

TheSeks said:
Also, when can I do the Jirachi/Ruins of Alph event? I took my Jirachi there before the gym and after the gym and no legendary. I guess I have to beat the game? Same for the Pichu event? :(
Isn't that event from the Fateful Encounter Arceus? Jirachi unlocks a route on the pokewalker.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Harpuia said:
Does taking it along in the pokewalker help at all? Eevee is a horribly useless pokemon.

Give it the Shadow Ball TM if you have it, and train it against Gastly's to help Espeon's awesome Special Attack. You can keep the move as Espeon as well, as it's quite useful.

I think the Pokewalker helps, but I'm not sure if it's anymore than normally walking with it. Sorry!

isny

napkin dispenser
Big Ass Ramp said:
How hard is it to find an Abra on Route 34 and 35 at night? I've encountered like 20 different pokes and not one abra.

Don't waste your time. Just go to the game corner. If you're not high enough level, I'll trade you one if you want, as I have extra's.

So how does the Safari Zone work exactly?

What does Bait do, and what does Mud do in terms of catch/run rate?

Fuck why is Abra easier to catch than Stantler?! Stop wasting my Balls you stupid reindeer.

Top Bottom