• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Kletian

Just got to Goldenrod, playing through slowly making sure all my pokes are even levels before I face the Gym leader and her apparently Miltank Ender of Worlds.

19 Kangaskhan
20 Croconaw
17 Magby
16 Pidgey
10 Sentret HM Whore
14 Mareep which I'll probably be switching out for an Elekid assuming the one hiding on my Pokewalker right now will LET ME CATCH IT GODDAMN.

Out of curiosity, how does an owner of D/P/Pt and HG/SS go about transferring Pokemon from one game to another if they only have a single DS?

Can Pokemon Ranch be used like Pokemon Box at all? How about Battle Revolution? I bought BR at release and sold it soon after on account of it being shit (I'm still waiting for a worthy successor to the Stadium games), but if it's a means of quickly transferring a large amount of Pokemon between games, I'll rebuy it, as it's pretty cheap these days.

Still, I really wish Nintendo would make a new Pokemon Box equivalent for this generation, as that made things SO easy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ben2749 said:
Out of curiosity, how does an owner of D/P/Pt and HG/SS go about transferring Pokemon from one game to another if they only have a single DS?

Can Pokemon Ranch be used like Pokemon Box at all? How about Battle Revolution? I bought BR at release and sold it soon after on account of it being shit (I'm still waiting for a worthy successor to the Stadium games), but if it's a means of quickly transferring a large amount of Pokemon between games, I'll rebuy it, as it's pretty cheap these days.

Still, I really wish Nintendo would make a new Pokemon Box equivalent for this generation, as that made things SO easy.

No, Pokemon Ranch is worthless and ties Pokemon to a single game. Revolution just copies the Pokemon data, and does not 'transfer' them at all.

The 'easiest' way is to trade them to someone online who will trade you them back to the other cart. But it's not very time-friendly.

ivysaur12 said:
I wonder what a R/S remake would be like. They were definitely the worst recepted by fans at large, so they would need to do a major overhaul of some parts.

I also hope that Gen V implaments some of the initial changes to the battle system that they were contemplating in Gen III.

I'm up to around 2000 steps, but since you can't turn the volume down I'm worried about trying to catch something :lol

I personally love RSE, mostly because I'm a huge Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza fan. I think the epicness of those three Pokemon would translate well onto a console remake, but I doubt we'll ever see it in that form. If RSE remakes do come, it'll likely be during Gen V.

ivysaur12 said:
I wonder what a R/S remake would be like. They were definitely the worst recepted by fans at large, so they would need to do a major overhaul of some parts.

I also hope that Gen V implaments some of the initial changes to the battle system that they were contemplating in Gen III.

I'm up to around 2000 steps, but since you can't turn the volume down I'm worried about trying to catch something :lol

In addition to being the most poorly recieved generation (and with good reason, in my opinion; they were a MASSIVE step down), Ruby and Sapphire don't have the retro/nostalgia factor going for them. Not only that, R/S are already compatible with the DS games. With the release of HG/SS, all four generations of Pokemon are now compatible with each other, allowing Pokemon across all of them to be transferred to the DS/DS Lite.

Ruby and Sapphire really don't need or deserve remakes.

EvilMario said:
No, Pokemon Ranch is worthless and ties Pokemon to a single game. Revolution just copies the Pokemon data, and does not 'transfer' them at all.

The 'easiest' way is to trade them to someone online who will trade you them back to the other cart. But it's not very time-friendly.

Thanks. That's bullshit though; you'd think they'd actually want to give people a reason to want to buy the damn thing. I know it's so far the only way of getting "easy" access to Mew, but that's not enough.

How about Pokemon Battle Revolution?

Gravijah

EvilMario said:
I personally love RSE, mostly because I'm a huge Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza fan. I think the epicness of those three Pokemon would translate well onto a console remake, but I doubt we'll ever see it in that form. If RSE remakes do come, it'll likely be during Gen V.

RSE get undeserved flack. I love them. Going underwater was awesome!

ivysaur12

Banned
defel1111 said:
People didnt like Ruby/Sapphire? I loved those games, Swampert and Sceptile were the shit.

Lack of a time system, no real memorable locations, few memorable Pokemon (besides maybe Ralts and the starters), too much water, not really any standout characters, underused double battles (which were frequently regarded as the biggest change), underwhelming contensts (which D/P/Pt did much better), lamer plot than usual...

My real issues with D/P/Pt lie in too many legendaries and such a slow interface, but besides that they are head and shoulders above R/S/E.

Salaadin

defel1111 said:
People didnt like Ruby/Sapphire? I loved those games, Swampert and Sceptile were the shit.

I was thinking about this the other day. I dont remember the games being bad by any means but whenever I think about my memorable Pokemon teams and moments, I cant really come up with anything from Ruby. It was pretty forgettable to me when I compare it to Red/Blue/Gold/Pearl/Platinum.

To me, Gold has always been the epitome of Pokemon awesomeness. Its been so nice getting to re-live it in HeartGold.

mjc said:
What happens if the battery in your Pokewalker dies while a pokemon is inside it?
You dont lose them. Im not sure how it works, but your pokemon is always saved. I think you do lose any steps and watts when the battery goes though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ben2749 said:
How about Pokemon Battle Revolution?

Like I said, Revolution simply copies the data from the DS game; there is no actual transferring involved, and thus, you can copy to PBR and back to another cart.

EvilMario said:

I felt that R/S/E was when they started going way overboard with the legendaries, not only making way too many of them, but making them horribly overpowered.

Here's my breakdown of the legendaries in each version, and how many I think are broken. This is going by today's standards, so I'm taking into account how they fare in a battle now. However, despite attempting to create competitive teams, I've never actually played in a competive environment, so anybody feel free to correct me if you disagree on anything.

R/B/Y

Articuno: Good stats, but it's type mix make for some really nasty weaknesses.

Zapdos: Great Pokemon, but not to the point of being broken. Best attribute is a good type mix.

Moltres: Same as Articuno. And Charizard is a better Fire/Flying type.

Mewtwo: Obviously broken.

Mew: Slightly broken. It's stats are a little too good, and combined with the fact that it can learn any move, it's not really fair game. But this Pokemon differs from other legendaries in that it's more about owning one than using one.

Total: 2 out of 5.

G/S/C

Entei, Raikou, and Suicune: All great Pokemon, but again not to the point of being broken.

Luiga: Broken.

Ho-oh: Broken.

Celebi: I think it's banned from a lot of competitive scenes, but I think between it's ianablity to learn every move, and it's horrible type matchup (resulting in SEVEN weakness, one of which is a 4x), I'd say it's fair game.

Total: 2 out of 6.

R/S/E

Regirock, Regice, and Registeel: Tough call, but I personally think they're slightly broken, as although they're painfully slow, their defense/special defense are insane, and their attack/special attack are still really good. The exception is Registeel, whose attack/special attack are merely decent, but his defense/special defense are godly. In addition, they all learn Explosion.

Latias and Latios: Another tough call, but I think they're probably fair game. Possibly cheap, but not too much.

Groudon: Broken.

Kyogre: Broken.

Rayquaza: Broken.

Jirachi: Similar to Celebi, but a much better type mix and an excellent ability mean that it's a little too broken.

Total: 7 out of 9.

D/P/Pt

Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf: Fair game, I'd say. They're all good, but they all have a few stats where they fall short.

Dialga and Palkia: Broken.

Heatran: I think Heatran is fair, as a 4x weakness to Ground is pretty nasty, and he's quite slow.

Regigigas: I've never seen/used him in action, and I'm having a hard time trying to picture whether he's useful or not. He looks fair though, as if anything, he looks a bit too easy to counter.

Giratina: Broken.

Cressilia: Tough, but between it's ridiculously good HP/Defense/Special Defense, and the fact that it learns a recovery move, I think it's a little bit broken.

Phione: Fine.

Manaphy: Fine, but maybe a little cheap.

Darkrai: Broken.

Shaymin: Fine in normal forme, but broken in Sky Forme.

Arceus: Horribly broken.

Total: 7 out of 14

R/S/E had far too many broken legendaries, and while D/P/Pt fares better in that regard, it's only because D/P/Pt has far too many legendaries, period. Legendaries kind of lose their appeal when there's so many of them.

A couple days late but SoulSilver is now in my DSlite with the Pokewalker on my belt/sock depending on if i am walking around at work or sitting in my chair shaking my foot.

survivor

Banned
Nah, Cresselia isn't broken. It has great stats, it's just has a horrible type seeing how Tyranitar and Scizor are everywhere. I think it's only near broken in UU metagame.

ryan-ts

Metroid Killer said:
There's a Water Stone for 2500 Pts. today(wednesday) at the pokeathlon. It's the only place(and day) where you can get a Water Stone pre National Dex.

SEXY! You damn stud you. WOOOOOOOOOO.

xSL4INx

Just made it to Ecruteak city, team as follows:

Quilava Lv. 19
Phanpy Lv. 23
Jirachi Lv. 18

Jirachi is the Gamestop Jirachi. Playing Soul Silver by the way.

Manus

The Regi's aren't broken and they can be taken down quite easily. Also Jirachi isn't broken either, they are all allowed in competitive play.

Teknoman

I feel legendaries should be like bosses of sorts. No more than around 4 per generation should be nice. Maybe 5-6 if its some special event pokemon.

SquirrelNuckle said:
The Regi's aren't broken and they can be taken down quite easily. Also Jirachi isn't broken either, they are all allowed in competitive play.

Really? I kinda like like the design of the Regis, and always wanted to use them.

survivor

Banned
Teknoman said:
I feel legendaries should be like bosses of sorts. No more than around 4 per generation should be nice. Maybe 5 if its some special event pokemon.
Well if every generation need a trio, and 3 other legendaries for each cover, then that will be 6 minimum. So maybe one more special legendary given as an event? 7 doesn't sound that bad.

survivor said:
Well if every generation need a trio, and 3 other legendaries for each cover, then that will be 6 minimum. So maybe one more special legendary given as an event? 7 doesn't sound that bad.
I want my starters back on the covers damnit!

pokemon-red-and-blue.jpg

Teknoman

survivor said:

Oh right, forgot about that.

Are any of the legendary trios ever banned from tournaments?

thefil

How do the Pokeathalon rewards work? There are 12 rewards per day listed on Bulbapedia, but I only see six. Is it random?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
SquirrelNuckle said:

That's just his 'feelings'. Celebi , Jirachi, Manaphy, and all the Regis have some hard counters. Jirachi is the most versatile, being able to run a dangerous Calm Mind, or Choice set, but Iron Head is not broken with things like Magnezone and Empoleon running around.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
mrklaw said:
How difficult is the Japanese language in the Japanese version? My son has asked to get this, and I was thinking to offer him the Japanese version to push his reading/vocabulary skills (he's Japanese/English bilingual but his english is much better so that's the version he'd prefer)

he knows some Kanji and all Kana/Hiragana (I'd assume this is furigana anyway), so its more a question of how 'old' is the vocabulary

I'd say get him the Japanese version as it will be a great chance for him to maintain and improve his Japanese skills. I'm playing the Japanese version and it is obviously written for a younger audience. If your son can follow an episode of Dragon Ball Z in Japanese then he will have no problems with the game.

Like others have said the game is completely in Kana so there will never be something he can't read, but there will probably be words he won't understand or recognize. Regardless, it will be a great chance for him to learn all of the Pokémon names in Japanese!

survivor

Banned
HiddenWings said:
That list is kind of funny; The best of the best legendaries, Garchomp, and... Wobuffet?
My Wobuffet traps your Wobuffet. No one is willing to go through this scenario.

EDIT: oh sweet, I think I just became a member :D

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Can you get more than 1 eevee here? I am still undecided to what I should do now that Bill gave me an Eevee. Back then I made him into an umbreon.

Wiseblade

Ookami-kun said:
Can you get more than 1 eevee here? I am still undecided to what I should do now that Bill gave me an Eevee. Back then I made him into an umbreon.
I have like 8 spares I'm trying to get rid of. You want some?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ookami-kun said:

Breed breed breed.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wiseblade said:
I have like 8 spares I'm trying to get rid of. You want some?

Sadly can't trade until home renovation is done.

Andrex said:
Breed breed breed.

Hmm good idea!

Though I still won't be able to get Leafeon and Glaceon. I might as well ask my friend to transfer it along with the shiny Pichu.

Top Bottom