• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Boney

Banned
Obsessed said:
So how does the Safari Zone work exactly?

What does Bait do, and what does Mud do in terms of catch/run rate?
Please respond to this in spoilers, I don't want to ruin the mysticism of Safari Zone!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Obsessed said:
So how does the Safari Zone work exactly?

What does Bait do, and what does Mud do in terms of catch/run rate?

Bait means the Pokemon is less likely to run, but it will be tougher to catch. Mud is the opposite, as it is much more likely to run, but it's easier to catch when it does stay.

As for the other mechanics of the new Safari Zone.. it's a mouth full.

http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/safarizone.shtml

I give up on catching Raikou, and must resort to GAF as help.

So I've got him down to 1HP by using False Swipe. I put him to sleep by using sing. He is as crippled as it is possible to make him.

So why can't I catch him? He escapes ultra balls with no shakes or one shake usually, and even quick balls right off that bat (which I used to catch Entei), still don't get him.

Is there some trick to this GAF? Or am I just terribly unlucky? Because whatever it is, I'm getting frustrated :|

FilthyLies said:

So I've got him down to 1HP by using False Swipe. I put him to sleep by using sing. He is as crippled as it is possible to make him.

So why can't I catch him? He escapes ultra balls with no shakes or one shake usually, and even quick balls right off that bat (which I used to catch Entei), still don't get him.

Is there some trick to this GAF? Or am I just terribly unlucky? Because whatever it is, I'm getting frustrated :|

Try using either fast balls (catches Pokemon that flee), or Dusk Ball (at night). I'm pretty sure they have way better catch rates than the Ultra Ball.

Also if he is really heavy then use a Heavy Ball (if they still have those). It has the highest potential catch rate in the game (though he might not be heavy enough).

otakuderek

I skimmed through the board but I didn't see any answer. Do the steps you get on one day stack with the ones you get from the previous? Same thing for Watts? Sorry if stupid lol

isny

napkin dispenser
FilthyLies said:

You can always try lowering his defense / speed.

Also, I'd use dusk balls, they seem to work better =) (Even though they're still the same 4x catch rate as quick balls)

VendettaXXI said:
I skimmed through the board but I didn't see any answer. Do the steps you get on one day stack with the ones you get from the previous? Same thing for Watts? Sorry if stupid lol

Watts carry over day to day...how else would you get 10k watts =p
Steps reset at midnight.

isny said:
You can always try lowering his defense / speed.

Also, I'd use dusk balls, they seem to work better =) (Even though they're still the same 4x catch rate as quick balls)

Speed/Defense don't play a factor. HP and Status are the only things that effect catch rate, according to Serebii at least.

This Safari Zone is so awesome. Way better than that D/P mud crap.

Catching anything is still a bitch though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
FilthyLies said:

Shakes don't truly matter. It's just a number being rolled.

Raikou and the others have a really low catch rate, and it's just luck. Paralyzing him would be very helpful, or putting him to Sleep.

EvilMario said:
Shakes don't truly matter. It's just a number being rolled.

Raikou and the others have a really low catch rate, and it's just luck. Paralyzing him would be very helpful, or putting him to Sleep.

Sleep gives you a better chance than Paralysis. Do not paralyze him unless you want to make it harder for yourself.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Obsessed said:
Sleep gives you a better chance than Paralysis. Do not paralyze him unless you want to make it harder for yourself.

Sleep eventually ends, where if he can Thunder-Wave him, he will always be paralyzed. This can be good if he's trapping him with something like Dugtrio, and wants as many turns as possible to throw balls.

Teknoman

Starting my game at night. Its funny because this is around the exact time I got home from Electronics Boutique back in the day with Silver version.

Ondore

So I'm afraid to do ANYTHING with the watts on the Pokewalker until I unlock the final area. Getting 100k Watts is going to take forever when I have a job that involves a lot of sitting.

EvilMario said:
Sleep eventually ends, where if he can Thunder-Wave him, he will always be paralyzed. This can be good if he's trapping him with something like Dugtrio, and wants as many turns as possible to throw balls.

I know that Sleep isn't permanent, but it will probably cause you to waste less balls in the long run, which decreases frustration.

Also for catching runners, it really pays off to raise a Haunter/Gengar. You get Mean Look, and Hypnosis.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
WooHoo!
Just picked this up a few hours ago.
I just transferred my Totodile into the Pokewalker!

Jokey665

Obsessed said:
Also for catching runners, it really pays off to raise a Haunter/Gengar. You get Mean Look, and Hypnosis.
Why settle for Hypnosis when you can get Spore? Smeargle ftw. Mean Look/Spore/False Swipe/Odor Sleuth (for false swiping ghosts).

isny

napkin dispenser
Edit: nm, just different now than in the Japanese version...

In the Dragon's Den, you have to go back after and talk to the old guys inside to get the Dratini.

Do Watts hold any significance outside the PokeWalker? How come when I transferred my Pokemon back to my DS (in order to get the gifts over), all my Watts went over too? What's the point of having them in SS?

Gravijah

Blu_LED said:
Do Watts hold any significance outside the PokeWalker? How come when I transferred my Pokemon back to my DS (in order to get the gifts over), all my Watts went over too? What's the point of having them in SS?

Unlocks more courses with different Pokemon and items.

Blu_LED said:
They unlock new routes when you transfer them back over, which in turn means you can capture rarer pokemons on the walker.

Gravijah

Harpuia said:
I love HeartGold. So much. If I could have babies with any game, it would be this one. :lol
I'm serious.

Link.png

That's you after a night with Heart Gold, in the sack.

FilthyLies said:
They unlock new routes when you transfer them back over, which in turn means you can capture rarer pokemons on the walker.
How come when I transferred 750 Watts over, I only unlocked Rugged Road. Shouldn't I have got more?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wait so I shouldn't be wasting my Watts at failing to catch Pokemon and failing to get items?

Gravijah

FootNinja said:
anyone have any plat to hg/ss transferring they need done? I need to bring over a few pokes, and I don't know of any other way to do it.

I might need to transfer some stuff, but I can help you either way if you want.

rj118

Crazymoogle said:
Argh. I keep catching Magby in the pokewalker!! Dammit Pidgey! :lol

Why are you mad about catching Magby? It took me awhile to get mine and I was glad when it finally showed up. Are you looking for Onix or something?

Unicorn

I feel bad for Gym Leader
Fighting Chuck

I just pushed his shit in with only a poliwag.
Body Slam alone.
paralyze
Primeape
he switches to
Poliwrath
Body Slam.
Paralyzed.
Continue to Spam Body Slam
interrupt every single one of his
focus punches
then towards the end they kept getting fully paralyzed.

I couldn't stop laughing after that fight.

As a side note all of the gym leaders have been fairly easy, thanks to Bellsprout, Gastly, and now Poliwag. But, fucking this duo trainer battle in some cave involving an magmar and electabuzz has kicked my ass twice. And I was 5 levels above them! OHKO'd my whole team with fuckin' thunderbolt and flamethrower. Gotta grind for regular trainers now instead of gym leaders :lol

Does anyone have a scyther and a metal coat they would be willing to trade me from any previous versions? It would save me dozens of hours and i want scizor sooooo fucking bad during my playthrough rather than in 3/4 through it. In return you will get a shity common pokemon with a credit for me being your personal trade/transfer whore for a month or some other task you wish of me. Is that cool?

Anyone....

Unicorn

Gamer @ Heart said:
Does anyone have a scyther and a metal coat they would be willing to trade me from any previous versions? It would save me dozens of hours and i want scizor sooooo fucking bad during my playthrough rather than in 3/4 through it. In return you will get a shity common pokemon with a credit for me being your personal trade/transfer whore for a month. Is that cool?

Anyone....
I think i have a metal coat and scyther layin' around in pearl.

Lookin for an espeon as my eevee doesn't want to evolve...

rj118 said:
Why are you mad about catching Magby? It took me awhile to get mine and I was glad when it finally showed up. Are you looking for Onix or something?

No, not really an Onix fan, and besides, you can trade for him right at the beginning of the game.

My problem is, my starter is Cyndaquil, and yet of the first five pokemon I've caught on the pokewalker, they have all been either Ponyta or Magby. :lol

Big Ass Ramp said:
You can catch Abra on Route 34 and 35, right? I can't find any.

just do the coin game in goldenrod and trade in 200 coins for a lvl 15 abra then level it once to evolve into kadabra and stay with it or put it up for trade in GTS but ask for something stupid so no one gets it and then seek pokemon and get some random easy to get one and, if the glitch still works, you acquiring the easy to get pokemon counts as Kadabra being traded when you remove from the the system.

Unicorn

Gamer @ Heart said:
I dont have one unfortunately as im still early in the game : (
Well, that's OK.

You'll just owe me one. Let me hatch this Scyther egg and I'll put the metal coat on him.

Do you care about nature/ability at all? care for a level 1 scizor?

WHAT THE HELL?

You can't buy coins in this game? Goddamn it Game Freak. That's Strike Two! First you take away my room decorations, now the coins?!?

ExtraKr1spy said:
just do the coin game in goldenrod and trade in 200 coins for a lvl 15 abra then level it once to evolve into kadabra and stay with it or put it up for trade in GTS but ask for something stupid so no one gets it and then seek pokemon and get some random easy to get one and, if the glitch still works, you acquiring the easy to get pokemon counts as Kadabra being traded when you remove from the the system.
Say what?

Top Bottom